[RP Discussion] Romance

Aix

Honestly?

Romance in RPs has always been kinda touch-and-go (heh) for me. There have been many times I've participated in one, and it can make for an interesting plot element.

Back on topic, though, a problem with RP romance is that there's a very small "strike zone" where anyone participating can tell it's a romance, but not be annoyed with it. Most people, when going for a romantic plot, seem to feel a need to grossly overinvest in it (my suggestions that this might stem from a lack of IRL romance nonwithstanding), and all it does is pad posts into the RP. Don't get me wrong, I've seen RP romance done convincingly, but most people just . . . no.

As it is, though, I have nothing against RP romances. They can help develop characters, they lead to associations that might not have been believable otherwise, but perhaps we could have a kind of "romantic toolkit" Where we outline do's and don't's (that double apostrophe is going to bother me all day) regarding hooking up characters.

Regarding romance-centric RPs . . . you're best off doing a 1-on-1, really.

Just a suggestion.

Never done it but I can only imagine it gets somewhat awkward between you and the recipient, depending on who initiates it. If it was planned between both parties from the beginning though, I don't particularly think anything of it. Either way, like with my other writing I tend to ignore the element completely, or treat it with less care, integrity, or interest than the other elements of whatever I'm trying to write.

A romance-centric one however would work a bit differently, since developing the romance is seen as part of the objective much more than in non-romantic roleplays. Being romance-centric means putting the exploring and definitely the combat aspect of a roleplay in the backrow, if they even exist at all, in favor of the interaction part and I don't know if I like that. But I can see it maybe working out. I recall there was an interest check thread for a high school romance RP a while back and that got some interest, the bloke who made the thread made a character application form, and then no one applied though. Not sure if that's a good sign for romance RPs. Take that as you will.

@Dae lol

As for romance in RPs, I've noticed a lot of people like romantic interactions between characters. I'm neutral on it myself, tbh.

I've had characters who've flirted, had crushes, etc, and I think, just like any other social interaction, romance is a thing that can enrich an RP. All the times I've seen it, it's been tasteful and not overdone, but I'm sure that if done badly, it can get problematic.

And I think romance-centric RPs can work, sure. It'd take some work, sure, but most RPs do anyway.

Back on topic, though, a problem with RP romance is that there's a very small "strike zone" where anyone participating can tell it's a romance, but not be annoyed with it. Most people, when going for a romantic plot, seem to feel a need to grossly overinvest in it (my suggestions that this might stem from a lack of IRL romance nonwithstanding), and all it does is pad posts into the RP. Don't get me wrong, I've seen RP romance done convincingly, but most people just . . . no.

This is a pretty good point that I couldn't think of a way to express. Frankly speaking I probably will get 'grossly overinvested' into this sorta thing so I try and avoid it in the first place.

Romance isn't my cup of tea (Though, i can accept it in anime or video games if done well), i dislike romance books, because literally nothing happens, it's 90% of the time awkward white girl meets white boy (or viceversa), so yeah exclude those from romantic things i enjoy. BUT LET'S GET TO THE ACTUAL STUFF.

BUT, romance in roleplays can be done quite well, for example i remember back in : Alive : First Warning, my character had some sort of romantic integration  with another one ( with everyone shipping it...) and it was all really light, and it didn't feel forced, so i really liked that. Also, despite the characters may have 0 to none relation in an RP but i'll ship them anyway, so it depends a lot, if the characters are good and compatible and it's SLOWLY built up, then yes, but if they're just romantic material fodder then no.

Only have done romance once so far. T'was a bit abrupt but I believe that it ended up working out for the better in the end.

Kinda always felt that my favorite part of romance is the build-up - if they immediately fall in love and such, it'd feel cheap (i'm saying this yet my only time of having romance in an RP was done kinda abruptly). While how a couple face hardship and the storm would also be good writing material, it felt like it'd be far more meaningful if the good buildup is there, to point out how important the romance is between the two.

As long as it's not forced by one RPer to another, I'm fine with it. Most of the time it can make them more human, after all.

Also...what do you mean by romance based RP? How would that even work?

As long as it's not forced or disrupts the rest of the RP I think it can be very interesting and entertaining. Also a pre-established romance between characters could even lead to some interesting plot points for the characters.

I think it's pretty fun to have some small romance elements honestly. And of course shipping is always amusing.

Romance in RP's tends to go one of two ways.

It goes nowhere.

Or it gets rushed.

If you can make it to where it actually develops your characters, I say go for it. Sometimes that bit of lighthearted writing can be good for a serious RP, and it fits right into the less serious ones.

But if done poorly... It's rather hard to sit through.

When it comes to romance in a role-play, it takes two to tango. Nonetheless they're one of the better role-plays due to their interactionist nature. Because they're so dependant on how the characters interact with each other, there is very rarely never an opportunity to respond. However similarly, they're so character-based that, well, it takes well written characters to write them convincingly.

Similarly the same applies to a romance-centric role-play, but nobody seems to want to prod the notion with a 5 yard stick. Actually, it is an interesting challenge. I might see what I can whip up.

Totally fine with romance in RPs, provided it's done tastefully, with good pacing. This is especially true if the romance in question is supposed to be between two player characters. If it's between two NPCs, or even between a player character and an NPC, you can play around with stuff more to suit your needs. Having said that, none of my PCs have ever been involved in romance within an RP. I prefer to stick to close friendships.

I think romance is a side dish or a salient historical point. It's difficult to make compelling romance because affection is about different things to different people, and, well, you don't really "do" romance - it either flows together naturally upon continual contact (which is usually preceded by some sort of acknowledgement of the interest thereof for both parties), or it doesn't click and the result's not going to be convincing.

Attraction is instantaneous and selfish, but a long-lasting relationship is reciprocal and often built on many little things. It's difficult to focus on those little things in an RP because objectively they're honestly pretty boring.

Archived