Blaquartz - Level2 DARK Tellar + Seraph engine archetype

Darj

Introduction

Blaquartz (Black + Quartz) is an archetype of Level 2 DARK Warrior & Beast-Warrior-Type monsters designed to Summon Rank 2 monsters and boost them with stat boons and protection effects.

Concept

The archetype was conceived after I made a couple of support cards for Malicevorous, but after not being successful with finding appropriate artworks for them (artworks of imps carrying cutlery are really difficult to come by) I eventually decided to make a new archetype out of them. Then, I decided to toy with the idea of "what if Tellarknights and the Seraph engine were part of the same archetype for a stronger synergy between them?". And thus "Blaquartz" were born intended to be "Malicevorous done right".

Playstyle

As implied above, basically, they were designed to be like Tellarknights but adopting Star Seraph Scepter and Sovereign as part of their archetype. In addition, they have an archetype Rank-Up Magic that gives them access to relatively strong monsters such as "Number C65: King Overfiend", in addition to CXyz form of their archetype Rank 2 Xyz monster.

Effect Monsters

[spoiler=]

dNvm2Ck.jpg

Blaquartz Javelin
Attribute: DARK
Type: Warrior/Effect
Level: 2
ATK: 1350
DEF: 300
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Blaquartz" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Blaquartz Javelin". You can only use this effect of "Blaquartz Javelin" once per turn. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned with this card attached to it as an Xyz Material gains these effects.
• If it is Xyz Summoned: It gains 1000 ATK and DEF. If this card would activate its effect by detaching 2 or more of its own Xyz Materials, you can detach 1 (only) Xyz Material instead.

The Deneb/Scepter, RUM searcher and go-to Xyz Material for boosting your Rank 2 monsters. This is intended to be the main player. The +1000 ATK can turn otherwise average Rank 2 monsters into concerning threats, such as a 2300-ATK Djinn Buster who gets to negate a monster effect up to twice, a 3000-ATK Centaurea, a 2400-ATK Socutebooss who can pick on bigger monsters, 2500-ATK double attacker Phoenix, etc.

8HhzXUX.jpg

Blaquartz Spellsword
Type: Warrior/Effect
ATK: 1450
DEF: 200
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Blaquartz" monster in your Graveyard, except "Blaquartz Spellsword"; Special Summon that monster in Defense Position, also monsters you control cannot attack for the rest of this turn, except DARK, Warrior-Type and Beast-Warrior-Type monsters. You can only use this effect of "Blaquartz Spellsword" once per turn. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned with this card attached to it as an Xyz Material gains this effect.
• Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not destroyed.

The Altair/Malicevorous Knife.

kH0DmZi.jpg

Blaquartz Swordbreaker
Type: Beast-Warrior/Effect
ATK: 1150
DEF: 700
If you control a "Blaquartz" monster other than "Blaquartz Swordbreaker": You can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Blaquartz" card, except "Blaquartz Swordbreaker": You can draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "Blaquartz Swordbreaker" once per turn. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned with this card attached to it as an Xyz Material gains this effect.
• If this card attacks an opponent's monster, the opponent's monster's effects are negated during the Battle Phase only.

The Sovereign/Malicevorous Fork, with an added bonus of providing a card draw when Summoned by Spellsword and other "Blaquartz" cards as you will see below.

zmiP9z9.jpg

Blaquartz Rapier
Type: Beast-Warrior/Effect
ATK: 1250
DEF: 600
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Blaquartz" monster from your hand, except "Blaquartz Rapier". You can only use this effect of "Blaquartz Rapier" once per turn. An Xyz Monster that was Summoned with this card attached to it as an Xyz Material gains this effect.
• Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by a card effect, it is not destroyed.

The Malicevorous Spoon. More of a swarmer and 3-material Rank 2 enabler if you want to take that approach, but the Xyz boost effect should be desirable.

NOTE: Notice how the clause on the bonus effects have "with this card attached to it as an Xyz Material" instead of "using this card as an Xyz Material" as seen on Star Drawing, Extra Sword, etc. This is intended enable the cards to apply their bonuses on Xyz-evolved or Ranked-Up Xyz monsters.

Spell Card

[spoiler=]

n33I60D.jpg

Rank-Up Magic Blaquartz Seal
Spell Card
Type: Quick-Play
Target 1 Rank 2 or lower Xyz Monster you control; Special Summon, from your Extra Deck, 1 monster with the same Type and Attribute as that monster you control but 1 Rank higher, by using that target as the Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon. Attached Xyz Materials also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.)  During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, while you control no monsters: You can banish this card and 1 "Blaquartz" monster from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Blaquartz" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of "Rank-Up Magic Blaquartz Seal" once per turn.

The RUM. Searchable by "Blaquartz Javelin" and, as mentioned above, gives the archetype access to relatively strong monsters such as "Number C65: King Overfiend". The last, revival effect is to give the archetype more resilience, field presence and recovery potential.

And it's Quick-Play as a freebie "because I can" bonus, really; but I can downgrade it to a Normal Spell with no problems if it's deemed too powerful.

Xyz Monsters

[spoiler=]

fiMuOh7.jpg

Blaquartz Halberdslayer
Type: Warrior/Xyz/Effect
ATK: 1850
DEF: 900
2 Level 2 monsters
Unaffected by the effects of opponent's face-up cards that were already on the field when this card was Xyz Summoned. You can only use 1 of the following effects of "Blaquartz Halberdslayer" per turn, and only once that turn.
• You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 face-up card in your opponent's Field or Spell & Trap Zone; Set it, and if you do, your opponent cannot use cards with that name, and their effects, until the end of their 2nd turn after this effect's activation.
• You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 Set card your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck.

Generic backrow disruptor or Set card spinner parallel to Castel's effect, while designed to complement "Number 65: Djinn Buster": this one disrupts backrow, and the latter stops monster effects.. Yes, if you use "Blaquartz Javelin" as Xyz Material, then you are rewarded with the ability of using its detach-2 effect by detaching only 1 material; the same goes with Djinn Buster. The last effect is to grant the archetype more cohesion and is intended to reflect Delteros/Trapeze Magician's floating effects.

yp9jlMZ.jpg

CXyz Blaquartz Spellscythe Breaker
Type: Warrior/Xyz/Effect
ATK: 2250
DEF: 900
3 Level 3 monsters
Unaffected by the effects of opponent's cards that were already on the field (including Set cards) when this card was Xyz Summoned. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; change all monsters your opponent controls to face-down Defense Position. Monsters changed to face-down Defense Position by this effect cannot change their battle positions. If this card has a "Blaquartz" Xyz Monster as an Xyz Material, it gains this effect.
• Once per turn: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; if it is Set, reveal it, also return it to the hand, and if you do, your opponent cannot use cards with that name, and their effects, until the end of their 2nd turn after this effect's activation.

A walking one-sided Anti-Spell Fragrance to further empathize "Blaquartz Halberdslayer" backrow disruption effect. It also provides the archetype a handy lock against Pendulum-based decks.

Non-archetype support

Junk Synchron

Red Resonator

Reinforcement of the Army

Fire Formation - Tenki

Fire Formation - Tensu

Mimiclay(?)

A Major Upset(?)

Reinforce Truth

Burgesstoma techs(?)

I do suspect I may have overdone with the Xyz boost effects and perhaps the card draw of the Sovereign "Blaquartz", which is why I'm looking forward to feedback by making this thread.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

[spoiler=Changelog]

11/21/15:

- Stacked the +1000 DEF from Swordbreaker into Javelin.

- Replaced Swordbreaker's effect with a weaker "Numeron Fall" bonus effect.

11/22/15:

- Updated with card images.

- Added hard OPT to the detach effects of the Rank2

- Added a no-response clause to the effect of the the CXyz

23/11/15:

- Halberdslayer now Summon from the hand/Deck with its floating effect.

01/20/16:

- Swordbreaker no longer activates the card drawing effect when Summoned with its own effect.

- Spellsword no longer prevents non-DARK monsters from attacking the turn its effect is used.

- Halberdslayer no longer floats.

- RUM is no longer Quick-Play and the grave effect was changed.

01/22/16:

- Remade the Cxyz almost completely. The Anti-Spell Fragrance effect proved to be too annoying, even vs. non-Pendulum decks.

- The RUM is a Quick-Play again, just to see if it can get away with it.

09/22/16:

- Added a Quaking Mirror Force lock on the Set effect of the Cxyz.

- Made the built-in protection effects of the Xyzs more clear.

- Added an attack restriction to Spellsword

Why do I get the feeling Breaker should say something like "If you control [archetype guy] you can activate this effect; Special Summon this card(from your hand)"?

I mean, Sov isn't a continuous effect, but still.

'Course, it works the way it's written, and I'm just being paranoid.

Also you could be pro and give them a Rank-Up that turns Rank 2s into 4s. Plays with 101 would be silly, given the added protection the Monsters give.

Well, I don't think that clause would be necessary on Swordbreaker; besides, it's just PSCT and cards such as Sovereign and Fuzzy Lanius (which I took as reference) don't have said clause.

Also, don't tempt me with an archetype Astral Force. I have thought about that, and the little guys attached to Rank4s could get really scary. Then again, their RUM Rank4 options would still be limited since there aren't many Rank2s, and some of them don't have any compatible RUM targets (e.g. Cat Shark, Shining Elf). On the other hand, the few of them that do could get interesting, such as the aforementioned #101: S.H.Ark through Burgesstomas, Bujin Xyzs or Constellar Omega (and thus Ptolemy) through Centaurea, Herald of Pure Light has Minerva, Disigma, funny Cheer Girl and Shock Master (OCG) going for it, the Blaquartz Rank2 would be able to become Rhongomyniad with 3 materials...

Yeah, I would rather leave the job to the original Astral Force RUM for the above plays.

Anyway, made some changes to the Xyzs bonuses of Javelin and Swordbreaker:

- Stacked the +1000 DEF from Swordbreaker into Javelin.

- Replaced Swordbreaker's effect with a weaker "Numeron Fall" bonus effect.

• 2 months later...

Archived