Cosmo.

So, recently i've started playing FFXIV and i'm obsessed with it, so, since the last FFXIV thread is months old, i thought i'd make a new one.

[spoiler=What is FFXIV?]

Final Fantasy XIV is a Final Fantasy MMORPG, developed by Square Enix. It was originally released in 2010, but due to poor reception, it was soon shut down and overhauled. In August 2013, the new improved version, now called "Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn" was released, and everybody is in love with it.

The game takes place in the nation of Eorzea, in the world of Hydaelyn with multiple city states and climates. Your character starts out as an adventurer, with the gift of being blessed by the mother crystal. You'll then, through the main story quests, have to help Eorzea through it's struggles.

There are a bunch of classes to choose from which then evolve into multiple jobs, which are evolutions of the base class, but specialized to fulfill a certain role in parties.

There are also a bunch of dungeons and raids, from the starting 4 man dungeons, to the 8 man massive bossfights, to the hardest challenge that will take 24 players. 

There's a bunch of content, including minigames and crafting and gathering classes when you're tired being the hero. 

So yeah, you can post under, what jobs you play as, what level you are, tips, in what server to play. If this gets enough attention/replies i'll probably start updating this regularly if demanded, and maybe tips for beginners if some are interested.

[spoiler=Players]

This will be the section where you can quickly look at who, on YCM, plays FFXIV, and info about their characters

[spoiler=Cosmo]

IGN: Agnes Hesperides

Data Center: Chaos

Server/World: Shiva

Main Class: Scholar

[spoiler=Lazaruz]

IGN: Sayo Nagae

Server/World: Odin

Main Class: White Mage

[spoiler=Tips & Stuff]

Here is where i, along with suggestions from others, shall give tips to new players.

[spoiler=Crossclass skills for Healing]

At a certain point, when you start new classes, you will have the ability to use skills from other classes on your class (obviously once you've unlocked them), this is very useful, since a lot of useful or essential skills for healing come from other classes. If you're playing White Mage or Conjurer, some of these will be unnecessary, since they're available since the start. 

Protect (from Conjurer/White Mage): a very useful spell that applies a 30 minutes long shield that reduces damage, unlocked at level 10 for Conjurers.

Stoneskin (from Conjurer/White Mage): i, as a Scholar, don't find this spell very useful, since 90% of my healing spells have the same effect, but more damage prevention is fine. It applies a buff that nullifies a certain amount of damage. Unlocked at level 34 for Conjurers.

Aero (from Conjurer/White Mage): A useful instant cast spell, that gives a small damage and applies a damage over time effect. Useful to cast while not healing, to then quickly return to healing.

Cleric Stance (from Conjurer/White Mage): ESSENTIAL SKILL. You'll use it mostly while playing solo, but it can come useful in dungeons. It swaps your Mind (healing power) and Intelligence (magical damage power) attributes.

Swiftcast (from Thaumaturge/Black Mage): ESSENTIAL SKILL LATER IN THE GAME. During harder dungeons, this spell will be essential if you need to quickly resurrect a fallen ally, or give a quick partywide heal to prevent from a wipe. It turns the spell activated after this one into an instant cast spell.

Virus (from Arcanist/Scholar/Summoner): A skill that mitigates damage that the enemy does for 10 seconds.

Eye for an Eye (from Arcanist/Scholar/Summoner): A spell that applies a "shield" to a target party member. It has a chance that when the target gets attacked, some of the damage received will return to the attacker.

Picked it up during the last steam christmas sale, if memory serves, and hated it through and through while playing during the free game time that came with, though I got suckered back into it recently due to people I follow on tumblr aaaaaand, well I'm addicted :P

Currently sitting on a level 60 White Mage (a.k.a Conjurer) who I "main" and am working on endgame gear for, and I've started leveling Archer on the side to get to Bard (same character, since I wanna unlock as much as I can on one character :P)

Give me a shout if any of y'all are also hiding on Odin (EU) :D

Bumping this a bit because:

Lazaruz
IGN: TBA
Server/World: Shiva
Main Class: White Mage

Give me a shout if any of y'all are also hiding on Odin (EU) :D

:P

Also IGN is Sayo Nagae

Kinda experimenting right now with tanking as a Gladiator (going into Paladin), and may write up some tips if I stop sucking at it :P

Sorry i was dreaming about the Shiva fight when i wrote that.

Also, just hit 50 on Scholar/Summoner (I rarely use Summoner though) and finished the 2.0 storyline. 

Just bought Heavensward today too. Only 100 quests 'til Astrologian...

I might add some tips for Scholar if wanted, but i don't think there's anything very specific.

Currently doing all the patch quests and i'm about 60 quests away to reach Heavensward content.

Also, the story picks up it's pace so much after you reach level 50. In the 2.0 content most of the important stuff was preceded by 10 very stupid quests (I'm looking at you first Garuda fight! Like seriously, so much time passed since they told me i had to fight Garuda that i completely forgot what i was doing all that running around for). After 2.0 content, they'll send you left & right to deal with one thing and the other.

Right now i have to go and fight Levin, might do it either tonight or tomorrow. Today i fought Leviathan and it was pretty fun, if not a bit easy (since the entire party was overgeared, me included).

Also, tips for people that just reached level 50. Go to the player's market and look for the items with the highest item level (except the armor, that will be given to you with the Job quests). The maximum item level that you will need to do the pre-Heavensward stuff is 90, so if you get your total item level to above 90 before even starting you won't have to worry about spending extra time farming/purchasing items later.

I finally unlocked Ishgard and Heavensward stuff. And already unlocked the Astrologian and Dark Knight #hypefest

Anyway the 2.x story is mostly cutscenes, which is good because we finally get to hear voice acting which was missing in the entirety of 2.0, but the amount of cutscenes in the last 2 quests is insane!

Also, the last 2 quests of 2.x broke my heart.

Archived