Darkness Approaches

DarknessApproaches-SRL-EN-SSP-UE.png

I can't be the only person to think that the situation this card creates is confusing as all hell. I mean, face-down Attack Position monsters? Nothing else in the game does that. Could we get a clarifying errata for this, Konami?

Discuss this really weird card.

OCG ruled it so that it would infact be face down attack position. We need clarification on how that situation would work.

But whose monster would be attacking in this situation?

I mean, say I have BEWD in face up attack, and you swing with Dark Magican, it flips into face up attack position, you take 500 damage, and your DM is dead. 

If you manually flip it, then it should go to defense mode as manual flips change position 

Card is trash

That sounds like Stairway to the Destined Duel. Mind checking real quick, anyone?

Problem is... It's likely the game treating any Face-down monster as face-down defense, so it changes it to face-up defense upon being attacked.

Dunno' how that translates to the real world, though.

Face Down attack would be a really cool mechanic to investigate tho. 

Why i'm thinking of an archetype like Artifact, but it's S/T that can be set to your Monster Zone in face-down AP/DP? @@

face-down AP treated as "no properties" monster then? (like how set monster works) but flipped when battles? uh oh . . .

Here's my understanding of how it works.

The monster is facedown in ATK position. If it is attacked, it flips up during Damage Calculation, same as if you attacked a facedown DEF. Apply the ATK value of the flipped monster (because it's in ATK position) and calculate damage normally.

You can manually change it to facedown DEF or faceup ATK, but evidently NOT faceup DEF. Presumably because the action of performing a Flip Summon explicitly is to flip a facedown monster to faceup ATK, and the action of simply changing the Battle Position of an ATK position monster is just turning the card horizontally, regardless of whether it's faceup/facedown.

If you attack with that monster, I'm pretty sure it flips up on attack declaration.

...it's fortunately so terrible a card that a ruling on the full mechanics is probably not needed ever, other than to figure out how the hell it works.

Wait...so you can't activate it outside of Diamond Dude?

No, you can since it it specifies that specific period, and thus would be treated as a Spell Speed 2 effect on a Spell Speed 1 activation condition (aka you can't chain it to anything in the standby phase, but you can still activate it then.  Kinda a Spell Speed 1.5 if you will)

It's just stupid because a whole lot of confusion would be solved by simply making the card a quick play, especially since all it does is change some battle positions.

Probably the same person who designed Curse of Fiend, a Normal Spell that can only be activated during the Standby Phase.

I might be wrong with this, but wasnt Curse of Fiend one of those cards that was before the time Quick-Play Spells were out in Japan? Was probably one of the cards that didn't translate well into English due to the crappy lores on cards back then as well

Archived