Moth Support - 4/? - Any and all non-terrible comments will now get 3 reps

Because Moths are absolutely redundant and I've been making cards at an astonishingly fast rate recently. Though come to think of it that's hardly indicative of quality. Well anyway these are here now and I'm going to post them.

12196ac70478d060e8c42d14eb81c4d5.png

When this card is activated, you can add 1 "Cocoon of Evolution" or "Moth" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. "Moth" monsters you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by an opponent's card effects. While you control a "Moth" monster, this card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. During each player's End Phase, place 1 Evolution Counter on this card. You can remove any number of Evolution Counters from this card and target 1 card on the field: It is treated as having been on the field for 1 additional turn for every counter removed.

abdb53d0233a64c659c8b54393426bd2.png

(This card's name is always treated as "Cocoon of Evolution".) If you control "Petit Moth", you can equip this card to it (from your hand or Graveyard).  "Petit Moth" equipped with this card is changed to Defence Position, also it gains 2000 DEF. If the equipped monster is targeted for an attack, you can destroy this card: Negate the attack and end the Battle Phase.

b32b3e326889f0c2495b48008f79e70d.png

If this card is Normal or Flip Summoned, you can add 1 EARTH "Moth" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can target 1 face-up monster on the field: Change it to face-down Defence Position, also its battle position cannot be changed for the rest of this turn.

9413e5589f2289f59df00ea04f86e31c.png

During either player's Main Phase 1: You can discard this card and target 1 "Moth" monster you control: It gains ATK and DEF equal to this card's ATK and DEF, until the End Phase. You can banish this card from your Graveyard to target 1 "Moth" monster you control: It is treated as having been on the field for 1 additional turn. You can only use each effect of "Corrupted Great Moth" once per turn.

I think there are some inconsistencies with the text on the cards compared to the text written beneath them, in those cases the text under the card is the correct one and I just wasn't bothered getting a different screenshot to change a word or two. Again, I think I'll make possibly one or two more but, again, am unsure what needs to be done.

I'm unsure on how to word the turn-count advancing effects because there is no proper precedent for it so just know that that's how it's meant to be interpreted. Pyro Clock of Destiny is apparently not relevant to how Moths work so it has to be worded another way.The artwork on Corrupted Moth is not at all good but there are limited artworks out there for this kind of thing and I couldn't even find those.

Alright, let me start by saying that I've been out of card making and Yu-Gi-Oh for quite awhile so take what I say with a grain of salt. That said, I have a lot of appreciation with what you are doing here: Trying to make undersupported, downright laughable archetype at least somewhat viable. So kudos on that. Also kudos on working to find images that are somewhat related, helps add to the flavor of the set. 

Now trying to make the Moths playable is a pretty steep hill to overcome. Obviously Larvae Moth isn't a viable monster to use, Great Moth requires some 4 turns of set up, and Perfectly Ultimately Great Moth requires 6 turns. Obviously waiting that long isn't really practical, something you've realized with your field spell. However, there are some other glaring weaknesses that I think you would be wise to cover if you want to continue making support for the Moth archetype. 

The first being their reliance on a Petit Moth, a low-level Normal Type monster. I think if you look throughout archetypes similar to this that rely on normal type monsters as their foundation, they often release an Effect version of the monster to better fill its niche (ex. Harpie Lady) or they release an even more versatile option (Genex Controller vs. Genex Ally Remote). I think you would be wise to do the same. 

Similarly, some more support might be needed to take some offense to the opponent. Not necessarily in the form of ATK but in the form of effect destruction or something of that nature. It's something to think about.

Now with the cards you have actually made. I've noticed a few errors. For one thing, you've spelled the word 'defense' as 'defence', which is just a minor misspelling. Also in that same instance, Defense Position would be capitalized as would Battle Position. (Please take my OCG corrections lightly, they could very well be false, I am very out of practice).

I think you may have an issue with Corrupted Great Moth. It allows any Moth monster to gain 2000 ATK to suddenly gain 2000 ATK or DEF, which means even with the weakest Moth(your cards included) that is a monster with 2100 ATK. And then you can even grab Corrupted Great Moth back from the grave. Or you can just go ahead and banish it that same turn and get more of a benefit. Or you can activate it during your opponents turn and have your opponent's monster crash into a giant wall. It seems a bit too versatile, especially with no summon restrictions on it. Of course, I say all these things and I realize that Moths are so laughable that even if they have something they can abuse...it doesn't really matter, so I mean it's really your call. 

Anyway, I like your work. Keep up the good work!

Alright, let me start by saying that I've been out of card making and Yu-Gi-Oh for quite awhile so take what I say with a grain of salt. That said, I have a lot of appreciation with what you are doing here: Trying to make undersupported, downright laughable archetype at least somewhat viable. So kudos on that. Also kudos on working to find images that are somewhat related, helps add to the flavor of the set. 

Now trying to make the Moths playable is a pretty steep hill to overcome. Obviously Larvae Moth isn't a viable monster to use, Great Moth requires some 4 turns of set up, and Perfectly Ultimately Great Moth requires 6 turns. Obviously waiting that long isn't really practical, something you've realized with your field spell. However, there are some other glaring weaknesses that I think you would be wise to cover if you want to continue making support for the Moth archetype. 

The first being their reliance on a Petit Moth, a low-level Normal Type monster. I think if you look throughout archetypes similar to this that rely on normal type monsters as their foundation, they often release an Effect version of the monster to better fill its niche (ex. Harpie Lady) or they release an even more versatile option (Genex Controller vs. Genex Ally Remote). I think you would be wise to do the same. 

Similarly, some more support might be needed to take some offense to the opponent. Not necessarily in the form of ATK but in the form of effect destruction or something of that nature. It's something to think about.

Now with the cards you have actually made. I've noticed a few errors. For one thing, you've spelled the word 'defense' as 'defence', which is just a minor misspelling. Also in that same instance, Defense Position would be capitalized as would Battle Position. (Please take my OCG corrections lightly, they could very well be false, I am very out of practice).

I think you may have an issue with Corrupted Great Moth. It allows any Moth monster to gain 2000 ATK to suddenly gain 2000 ATK or DEF, which means even with the weakest Moth(your cards included) that is a monster with 2100 ATK. And then you can even grab Corrupted Great Moth back from the grave. Or you can just go ahead and banish it that same turn and get more of a benefit. Or you can activate it during your opponents turn and have your opponent's monster crash into a giant wall. It seems a bit too versatile, especially with no summon restrictions on it. Of course, I say all these things and I realize that Moths are so laughable that even if they have something they can abuse...it doesn't really matter, so I mean it's really your call. 

Anyway, I like your work. Keep up the good work!

I, for the sake of theme, wanted not to do a Petit Moth retrain and instead make the support work around and with it similar to the Red-Eyes and Blue-Eyes stuff that has come out. I feel that making a newer version of Cocoon of Evolution is enough with regard changing the original cards, because I don't want to end up just remaking the entire thing and simply copying names off. 

With regard giving them some sort of removal, I kind of wanted to keep it within the current flavour, where they don't want to attack until they've evolved into their more powerful forms and focus on defending the Cocoon until that point. However it is something that they do need when the level 8 Moths can be brought out, as they are essentially vanilla beaters with no inherent immunity, so that is something to look at.

Defense is the American spelling of the word, we use defence here which is why that's like that. Your right on the capitalisation for it, but not for battle position which remains lowercase based on looking at how Superheavy Samurais are. Will correct that.

Corrupted is entirely to give them some power. It's a weaker and archetype-specific Honest/Kalut because they do need something in the way of offense. It's weaker by only being able use it in M1 rather than damage calculation, but that's something I wanted to be part of it because by also boosting by 2000 DEF, it again plays into the theme of defending the cocoon until the moth has evolved. The fact you can only drop it before your opponent even enters the battle phase I think makes it fair enough, because it means unless they're a complete idiot they won't go crashing into a sudden 4000 wall.

I appreciate the comments and pointing out the errors made, there are some things to consider from what you've said.

Treble rep promotional offer from now to the end of time on all 4 threads. If this copy and pasted message and title in each thread doesn't get anything I don't know what the fuck to do. May as well just let the threads die after this because I'll not be bothered going any higher on incentivising people. Anyway, +1 post count.

I like the idea of upgrading the moths as I thought they were entertaining.

With this support it will be playable again.

Anyways here is what I think:

Cacoon: This card speeds up the process of evolution which is good and it offers the much needed protections, on top of that it lets you search,

This card alone is a humongous boon to these guys.

Larvae Defender: Stacking up the defence on a Petit Moth under the protection of cacoon will do miracles.

Moth Defender: he speeds things up and disrupts the opponent. Useful but not really interesting imo

Corrupted: a nice hand trap, I like handtraps > I like the card.

Overall you made this deck look quite enjoyable, I might give a crack at building some support for the moths in the near future. 

Cocoon: Usually w/ field spell cards that search (e.g. Oracle of Zefra / Gateway to Chaos) they put some sort of restriction e.g. "You can only activate 1 "name" per turn." So you can't repeatedly terraform -> search -> gain advt. Also prevents ancient fairy dragon shenanigans. It's up to you if you don't think it's too big of a deal, just thought it was something I should mention. I like the counter mechanic and it's good perfectly ultimate great moth now has some form of defense.

Larvae Defender: Not sure what to say about the card.. I like the name change to replace cocoon of evolution; nice incentive for people to run it. Unsure how many copies, if any, would see play however.

Moth Defender: I quite like this card, just a pretty versatile effect. Nothing I can really say to improve, it's just all-rounded pretty good. (Side Note: Pretty sure it would be a colon rather than a comma on "If this card is normal or flip summoned, you can..")

Corrupted Great Moth: Hand trap ! cool. Also i'm happy you stuck 'perfectly ultimate great moth' as the boss monster of the deck and didn't just replace it with some upgraded version. In the text "target 1 "Moth" monster you control: It gains ATK and DEF" The colon should be a semi-colon; making the discard a cost. Not 100% sure but I think there shouldn't be a comma between "ATK and DEF" & "until the End Phase" (going off 'Armored Bee's text since it's structured similarly).

Nice support - hope i've helped out a little

I like these a lot, man. One thing I might suggest is having something that makes going into the Moths worth the effort, since they're basically just beaters that take time to set up. Corrupted is a step in the right direction, but maybe some effects like how Cross-Sword Beatle gives all Insects (and thus Moths) piercing, or some other useful effect that could make bringing out easily Casteled beaters more valuable.

Archived