[Finished]CC Monthly Series (January 2016) [ENTRIES CLOSED | JUDGING]

You could've used the original art for Sanwitch, and I wouldn't mind.

Remember that I don't expect you guys to draw your own artwork if not able to.

But anyway, you're in.

I draw all my cards if they're not written, it's just a preference. The original artwork of course didn't have the flavor or theme I wanted for the card. Ik you're grading the card not the picture, but my left brain just wouldn't allow that; I at least had to make something presentable.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it because of the fact none of the words in my entry impy interest in joining that I'm not listed in the opening post? Or did you accidentially skip over it, which is not unthinkable considering it was the second last post on the previous page (though the CSS makes it stand out a bit... I think).

Here is a link to the specific post: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/346121-cc-monthly-series-january-2016-entries-closed-judging/?p=6789807.

Also is listed twice

eh i-it's deadline already?! i'm not submitting my card yet . . .

eww, okay . . . gl to all of you guys who participates u.u

You did have 10 days to get something in, though if you were busy with stuff outside of this site, I would give an extension if you had a legitimate reason.

Normally, I set these things for 2 weeks, but because of coursework, I had to cut it a little shorter (about half a week).

Is it because of the fact none of the words in my entry impy interest in joining that I'm not listed in the opening post? Or did you accidentially skip over it, which is not unthinkable considering it was the second last post on the previous page (though the CSS makes it stand out a bit... I think).

Here is a link to the specific post: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/346121-cc-monthly-series-january-2016-entries-closed-judging/?p=6789807.

Also is listed twice

I probably skipped over it; likely because someone had PMed me while I was in the middle of reading.

You did submit a card though, so give me a sec to update the OP.

----

I'll try to get these graded over the weekend (if not, my Monday holiday).

You did have 10 days to get something in, though if you were busy with stuff outside of this site, I would give an extension if you had a legitimate reason.

Normally, I set these things for 2 weeks, but because of coursework, I had to cut it a little shorter (about half a week).

Sorta busy on my side, but it's okay, special extension for me makes the competition unfair, so yes, there's still next month (if any).

Probably will have one next month; if not, I might revive my old Sakura Contest Series stuff (to be fair, CC Monthly more/less replaced those since last February).

Concept works the same as CC monthly (though grading will differ a bit), except I can make them whenever I want (and not be bound by a particular month).

Just need to make sure I set the deadline/judging time on holidays, so I know I get time to do things properly.

----

Anyway guys, I'll grade the entries over the weekend/MLK day and should have the results up soon.

(Maybe I should've extended it to Friday like I normally do)

Almost done with things. 

University has not been kind with me with regards to throwing differential equations and Spanish stuff in my face for the most part. 

I'll try to have them up tonight or tomorrow (would've liked to have done it on Monday, but things didn't go as I planned). 

(By now, you should know it takes about a week or so to get stuff done; given coursework and whatever)

Almost done with things. 

University has not been kind with me with regards to throwing differential equations and Spanish stuff in my face for the most part. 

I'll try to have them up tonight or tomorrow (would've liked to have done it on Monday, but things didn't go as I planned). 

(By now, you should know it takes about a week or so to get stuff done; given coursework and whatever)

This is now close to two weeks, though.

If I didn't have some other things to attend to offline (including coursework and other matters out of my control), might've gotten this done earlier.

I was delayed for about a week after the deadline due to net problems, so couldn't grade them all quickly.

Anyway, scores (and again, I apologize for the wait)

[spoiler=Results]

Dragon Sage
B: 56
C: 20
O: 20
Total: 96

Overall, the card isn't bad and is nice for locking down certain cards (too bad it doesn't work on Pendulum Scales). One gripe is probably its forced return thing, but if you can regenerate Level 3s, then suppose it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You at least kept Stealth Bird's burn damage and flipping stuff.

Though there is a thematic reason for it returning, so I see why it's there (loss of materials = Vanilla).

Saikyou
B: 53
C: 18
O: 19 ("taget"? Semicolon in monster effect should be a regular colon. End Phase isn't used anymore and is replaced by "end of the turn" or something, but not deducting because Konami tends not to be consistent.)
Total: 90

The monster effect is a bit too much like Timesword (as in the effect is almost identical, bar for this card blowing up at the end after the boost). P-effect isn't bad and at least keeps Pendulums from respawning for a while (or get rid of pesky backrow or Scales, although certain Decks can just set a new one to replace that).

Though, becoming a 3K beater for one turn is nice for running over stuff like Dark Destroyer and other bosses. At least you can recur it later if Scales are up.

Zanda
B: 54
Total: 94

Cloudians REALLY need a consistency booster to make them relevant, and this helps them a bit. Though, the forced Defense destruction hurts (but it's standard on all of them so...). At least you can search things and summon more that turn, which is always nice.

Cloudians may never become a major threat (least not with the current pool of cards until they get a major upgrade), but it's a step in making them not as bad.

[Though the intent of this contest was to design a retrained version, as in something with a related name to the source card, but this works too.]

Gadjiltron
B: 55
O: 20 (Not sure if you intended to lock off the original Volcanic Rat, or forgot to update the name during changes. Assuming the former.)
Total: 95

Yeah, I never understood Volcanic Rat's creation either (it's part of the Archetype by name, but literally offered nothing). Now it actually offers something to the Deck (well, in an altered form).

It's at least fodder for the original Blaze Accelerator and blows up backrow, which is nice.

Don't know how often you'd want it on the field, but suppose it's useful for times when you don't have the Accelerator cards up + need to wall (especially given how much stuff nowadays can't be blown up via card effects or even targeted in the first place)

The Taken King
C: 19
O: 19 (1 is written as a numeral; "OF you do"? [i think you meant "IF", which is what I will assume it is])
Total: 92

Well, this was the logical progression for a Dragon, becoming a Wyrm like some other stuff did (and unlike BESD, it doesn't suck like hell). In any case, the negation effect is universal protection for your monsters (especially since most stuff does target nowadays). Shining lost its ATK boost thing, but 3K is enough to steamroller things anyway.

Although, it is limited to LIGHT-specific Decks only but that probably ties into the original to an extent [blue-Eyes being LIGHT]. (Then again, soft OPT targeting negation is pretty strong in its own right).

Dova
B: 49
O: 19
Total: 88

One thing you're going to have to worry about is how you're getting Timeater onto the field in the first place nowadays (though Pendulums help to an extent otherwise). That, and losing your Main Phase 1 hurts, although that makes up for this card potentially getting to prevent the opponent from doing anything for a turn or so to an extent.

Assuming that your opponent has a monster up, you can force them to either play their support cards during MP1 every turn (or force them to end turn if they can't attack or conduct their MP1 otherwise). Though, you do have the option to not send it to the P-Zone and assuming you can keep a Scale 7 or higher out (with a corresponding lower one), you can keep SSing this, though no more sealing off the opponent's MP1.

The idea is nice, but right now, getting Timeater on the field in the first place is an issue, especially now.

Yemachu

Good thing about this card is that it discourages the opponent from blindly MSTing stuff (or for that matter, any targeting removal which is pretty common now). Pop effect is nice too (and gets a draw), though it requires that you keep this card healthy enough.

That, and like I mentioned earlier, a lot of cards that you'd probably want to kill are either targeting immune or can't die anyway (or will just recur themselves anyway). But S/T are also targets.

16/10 stats aren't particularly great nowadays, but it's "decent" enough to do some things if you need to. (Nowadays, we're hitting 1800/1900 for Level 4s and usually those lead into higher plays)

Azure Wolf
O: 19.5 (Flip is mandatory, but otherwise everything else is fine)
Total: 93.5

It's a strict 2-card Synchro, but most 6s are generally made this way otherwise. The buff to its ATK boost is nice and fits the original flavor. As you mentioned though, it's harder to set a Synchro than other stuff (unless you use Book of Eclipse or something). Most of the time, I think you'd probably stick to the instant power bonus.

Late-game, it can get rather powerful but it does lack protection from common removal methods and all. Still makes for a good beatstick though in Decks that need access to 6s.

Fluffyfish
B: 50
O: 19 (Damage Step has capital letters, and it's mandatory so "when" is used [older styles use this though]. Otherwise, everything is fine and I know what you're talking about)
Total: 89

Answering your question, it is one of the first Fusions ever invented (most of which were pretty meh, even by old DM standards).

Right now, it is probably impractical to summon, bar for Madolches or something. It has the Majespecter clause, but much like them, it gets run over easily if you don't have a stolen monster. Though, it is nice for stealing stuff to use as a meat shield for attacks or as you say, steal the opponent's monster and probably clear their field.

You did well on using the lore on both of its original mats, but yeah impracticality in summoning hinders this card from reaching its fullest potential.

asterr259
B: 55
C: 18
Total: 93

It's basically a Fusion (and slower) version of Exciton, except it only blows up 3 cards on the field as opposed to nuking everything (though you can still hit the opponent for whatever damage). Then again, it's non-targeting so it bypasses a lot of monsters who have immunity from it (or heck, Sky Arc for Scales).

As a whole, I could probably see this being used in a few Decks if they have the space (and likely do). One thing I probably worry about is D/D recurring their resources and making a second/third copy of this, but that's about the only thing at present. (They at least have access to Swamp King if they can't get more mats on the field)

Given the reaction that people had to Exciton at certain points, I don't think it was a good idea to give Fiends their own version of it (albeit limited in power), but unlike said card, not everyone can use it, so you should be fine with how the card is at present.

Tyretian

As things stand, you have a few options of gaining LP (obviously, Android itself helps, as does TRA), so that goes in this card's favor. Also helps for Rank 5 stuff if you have Android out as well (or yeah, access to certain Levels that you probably can't reach otherwise at present). This + Android leads into Leoh and some other generic 10s that are actually worth it.

But yeah, outside of those two monsters (and Hyper Psychic), not too many ways you're going to gain LP off of Psychic monsters. (Oh wait, there's Lifetrancer too)

Striker

Well, this at least blocks stuff like Bottomless and a lot of other things that get used in response to monster summons, so there's that. The redirection effect is nice; makes your opponent ram into either a larger monster or something else to lessen the damage (use a smaller monster to protect key stuff or whatever).

Though, in terms of viable targets, only Lonefire and a few other things are worth reviving with its last effect. (There are others, including original Jerry, but yeah).

In terms of Creativity, you got points based on how well you incorporated the flavor from the source card (or fixed things in the case of some revamps).

Rest should be self-explanatory.

If you have some things regarding the judging (and for the most part, all of you did pretty well), then ask. [Right now, it's quarter to 1 am, so I'll get to queries in the morning]

I remembered that could happen, Striker (and that's pretty much what you're going to be doing with Lonefire anyway).

Thankfully Lonefire got unlimited status, so you certainly could do it.

I can give you some points back for that, but in reality, Lonefire's about the only useful Plant you can revive (well, maybe bar stuff in Aroma/Sylvan if they still matter nowadays). I'll update the above scoring sheet with your adjusted grade.

Leaving this open for another day, so if you guys have any questions about your scores, do it now.

(Whoever wins this ends up with at least 1700-1800PP in 2099, which is A LOT; even if there is a tie, all of you get it.)

-----

February's tournament will likely have a revamped grading scale, but I'll announce that in the info thread.

Yemachu

B: 53

O: 19.5 (Card is capitalized, but it's not that much of a problem)

Total: 92.5

Good thing about this card is that it discourages the opponent from blindly MSTing stuff (or for that matter, any targeting removal which is pretty common now). Pop effect is nice too (and gets a draw), though it requires that you keep this card healthy enough.

That, and like I mentioned earlier, a lot of cards that you'd probably want to kill are either targeting immune or can't die anyway (or will just recur themselves anyway).

16/10 stats aren't particularly great nowadays, but it's "decent" enough to do some things if you need to. (Nowadays, we're hitting 1800/1900 for Level 4s and usually those lead into higher plays)

Regarding the point of "Card" being capitalized, as far as I am aware all 6 occurences of the word are capitalized in the same way as Konami does it; using a lowercase 'c' everywhere it does not start a sentence or follows a card type (Spell/Trap/Monster). Either way, that probably only makes 0.5 points difference. Not enough to make much of a difference in the rankings.

As for its slightly low stats, I didn't want to deviate from the source monster's stats. But I agree its somewhat low for today's standard. Also a thing of note is that my card lets you target any type of card on the field, possibly getting rid of a troublesome Spell/Trap Card (which often don't have targeting protection). Other than that I don't really have anything to add.

Yeah, I double checked on some of the newer stuff (Card is capitalized for Spell/Trap, but not for Set cards). So yeah, you get 1/2 point back.

[Konami, get consistent with your syntax, will you?]

Also looked over the other stuff (and I did take S/T into consideration).

---

Scores have been revised accordingly.

Unless anyone else has questions about stuff, scores are more/less final and I'll award the prizes later.

There are going to be some ties, but that's fine.

At least a few of you are getting a ton of 2099 points though, especially on the eve of the tournament.

(Sorry that you guys can't use the points for the tournament packs, but they can be used for other stuff)

@Dragon Sage: Haven't really thought about that thing much (if I would allow you to pass on your member group prize to another member), but suppose you can (if you'd rather not take the YCM points for name changes).

Well, I'm not going to run a side round just to cull the amount of bronze medals I give out in this contest (so yeah, all of you guys in 3rd [which is 4] get a rep + 1k points each.) Tournament's already gone on long enough (and don't want it spreading into February).

But the top 2 are pretty much alone, so those are fine.

1st - Dragon Sage - 96

2nd - Gadjiltron - 95

3rd - Striker, Yemachu, Tyretian, Zanda - 94

For 2099 points,

Dragon Sage gets 1920 (but those will get converted to YCM points instead)

Gadjiltron gets 1900

Striker/Tyretian/Yemachu/Zanda get 1880.

(Those of you who don't play 2099, let me know and I'll change the points to YCM ones instead. I know Striker/Tyretian will need them later on.)

-----

Thanks to all who participated, and congratulations to the winners.

By the way, this is a CGA contest so whoever won will qualify for that thing (even though I didn't exactly endorse it, per say).

And yes Striker, I want my hosting fee.

Archived