Diehard Archetype (15/15)

Atypical-Abbie

Diehard is an Archetype of Warrior-Type Pendulum Monsters with no Pendulum Effect, 1500 ATK and DEF and of all the 6 normal Attributes. Each monster has an effect that rolls a die, then if you Xyz Summon a Diehard Xyz Monster with the same number in their name as the result, they gain a bonus effect. The Archetype also has some quite powerful Spell/Trap Cards, the most interesting being "Diehard - Draft", which can add up to 6 monsters from your Deck to your hand if you're lucky enough, though that is very unlikely, and even still, you need to Summon at least 2 of them or you lose half of your LP.

As you can imagine, there are 12 monsters, 6 Main Deck monsters and 6 Xyz Monsters, with each of them having the same Attribute as the Xyz Monster with the same number.

Excuse the kind of awkward wording, but to get this Archetype right the way I wanted it to, it had to be like this. It also took me quite a long time to figure out their name, I was actually just gonna call them "Random Army", but I felt that was so weak and that I could do  better, so I looked up some words until I found this pun. I have already done a military-based Archetype before, with Zombieland, which you can find by clicking here, though that is more suppose to be war-based, where this is kind of suppose to be military training, which you can see by the naming convention of Recruits becoming Soldiers, if that makes sense. 

Duel Portal is currently down, so I can't upload them there yet, but when I can, I will of course do that. Also, sorry for the long post, but I had a lot to talk about this time. As such, I have decided to put them in spoilers this time, something I don't normally do.  

[spoiler=Cards]

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Diehard - First Recruit
Warrior-Type/EARTH/Pendulum
Level 4
Scale 3
Pendulum Effect:
N/A

Monster Effect:
You can only use this effect of "Diehard - First Recruit" once per turn. If this card is Summoned: Roll a die, then this turn if it was used for an Xyz Summon of a "Diehard" Xyz Monster whose name contains that the result, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn, when this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 "Diehard" card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.
1500/1500

Diehard - Second Recruit
Warrior-Type/FIRE/Pendulum
Level 4
Scale 5
Pendulum Effect:
N/A

Monster Effect:
You can only use this effect of "Diehard - Second Recruit" once per turn. If this card is Summoned: Roll a die, then this turn if it was used for an Xyz Summon of a "Diehard" Xyz Monster whose name contains that the result, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn, if this card battles an opponent's monster, during damage calculation: You can activate this effect; this card's ATK and DEF become equal to the ATK or DEF (whichever is higher) of the opponent's battling monster +500, during damage calculation only.
1500/1500

Diehard - Third Recruit
Warrior-Type/LIGHT/Pendulum
Level 4

Scale 3
Pendulum Effect:
N/A

Monster Effect:
You can only use this effect of "Diehard - Third Recruit" once per turn. If this card is Summoned: Roll a die, then this turn if it was used for an Xyz Summon of a "Diehard" Xyz Monster whose name contains that the result, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls whose ATK is less than or equal to this card's ATK; change its battle position, and if you do, until the end of this turn, negate its effects
1500/1500

Diehard - Fourth Recruit
Warrior-Type/WATER/Pendulum
Level 4
Scale 5
Pendulum Effect:
N/A

Monster Effect:
You can only use this effect of "Diehard - Fourth Recruit" once per turn. If this card is Summoned: Roll a die, then this turn if it was used for an Xyz Summon of a "Diehard" Xyz Monster whose name contains that the result, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn, if your opponent Special Summons a monster(s): You can activate this effect; that monster(s) loses ATK and DEF equal to the number of Xyz Materials attached to this card x 200.

1500/1500

Diehard - Fifth Recruit
Warrior-Type/WIND/Pendulum
Level 4
Scale 3
Pendulum Effect:
N/A

Monster Effect:
You can only use this effect of "Diehard - Fifth Recruit" once per turn. If this card is Summoned: Roll a die, then this turn if it was used for an Xyz Summon of a "Diehard" Xyz Monster whose name contains that the result, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; add 1 "Diehard" card from your Deck to your hand.
1500/1500

Diehard - Sixth Recruit
Warrior-Type/DARK/Pendulum
Level 4

Scale 5
Pendulum Effect:
N/A

Monster Effect:
You can only use this effect of "Diehard - Sixth Recruit" once per turn. If this card is Summoned: Roll a die, then this turn if it was used for an Xyz Summon of a "Diehard" Xyz Monster whose name contains that the result, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn, when this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can activate this effect; this card can make a second attack on an opponent's monster in a row.
1500/1500

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]

Diehard - Super Soldier 1
Warrior-Type/EARTH/Xyz
Rank 4
2 or more Level 4 "Diehard" monsters
N/A
3000/0

Diehard - Super Soldier 2
Warrior-Type/FIRE/Xyz
Rank 4
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it.
2300/2200

Diehard - Super Soldier 3
Warrior-Type/LIGHT/Xyz
Rank 4
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 monster on the field; destroy it.
2100/2400

Diehard - Super Soldier 4
Warrior-Type/WATER/Xyz
Rank 4
2 Level 4 "Diehard" monsters
Once per turn, if a "Diehard" card(s) you control would be destroyed, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead.
2500/1500

Diehard - Super Soldier 5
Warrior-Type/WIND/Xyz
Rank 4
3 or more Level 4 "Diehard" monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn, when your opponent activates a card or effect that targets a "Diehard" card(s) you control: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. When this Xyz Summoned card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or card effect) and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Diehard" card from your Deck to your hand.
2600/2600

Diehard - Super Soldier 6
Warrior-Type/DARK/Xyz
Rank 4
3 or more Level 4 "Diehard" monsters
During your opponent's Main Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; halve its ATK, and if you do, it must attack this card this turn, if able (this is a Quick Effect). When this is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or card effect) and sent to the Graveyard: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 2 "Diehard" monsters from your Deck with different names in Defense Position, also you cannot Special Summon monsters until the end of your next turn, except "Diehard" monsters.
2800/2700

[spoiler=Spell/Trap Cards]

Diehard - Draft
Normal Spell Card
Discard 1 card; excavate the top 6 cards of your Deck, then apply 1 of these effects depending on the number of Warrior-Type monsters with different Attributes excavated.
● 1 or less: Shuffle the excavated cards back into your Deck.
● 2 to 5: Add up to 2 of them to your hand, also shuffle the remaining cards into your Deck.
● 6: Add all of them to your hand, but unless you Summon 2 or more of them this turn, during the End Phase, halve your LP.
You can only activate 1 "Diehard - Draft" per turn.

Diehard - Camp
Field Spell Card
Once per turn, when you roll a die because of the effect of a "Diehard" monster, you can treat the result as another result. You can discard 1 card; the number of times you can use that effect is increased by 1. If you control no monsters, "Diehard" cards in your Pendulum Zone cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

Diehard - Training
Continuous Trap Card
Once per turn, during either player's Main Phase: You can banish 1 "Diehard" monster from your hand or side of the field. During the Standby Phase of the next turn after this effect's activation: You can Special Summon any number of monsters banished by this card's effect. During either player's turn: You can send this face-up card from the field to the Graveyard, then target 2 or more "Diehard" monsters you control; immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 Xyz Monster using those monsters only. You cannot activate this card's effects in the same Chain.

I've read through a few of them, will give a proper review of them later on but first thing I've thought of is using Dark Doriado to stack and then going for Draft to guarantee you get the ones you want. Which is an interesting thing that works with them.

Oh, I totally forgot about that card, I wonder if I subconsciously made it work with that card. Still, it only can get 4, so you probably won't stack a total of 6 monsters anytime soon, but it's still a pretty decent card for them, being a Scale 5 as well.

Right well this is later than I had meant to write this but I realised upon reading through them again I didn't know really what to say so having a think about them before saying more seemed a wise course of action. I now do have thoughts, don't know how many of the cards I'll comment on, I'll just type away and see what comes out.

Firstly, in general, I think that both the aforementioned Dank Doriado and That Six are 2 pre-existing cards that can work well with these. Doriado for the previously outlined reasons, while That Six sets you up to bring out powered-up 3k beatsticks or a weirdly weak 3-mat Cowboy with added goodness. Basically it allows manipulation of your results is the point I did not convey but meant to. Moving on. And now I actually look at Camp having neglected it and see it does just that but better and easier, so what a stupid tangent this was.

First Recruit - Right. Recycles a thing, and it happens in the damage step so that's something in that it limits what can be chained to it. I'd think that a search/recycle option would be fair enough, so that it has an Assault Halberd style thing to it. Another thing I didn't mention but comes to mind now, and I know it wouldn't fit the theme too well, but they need just a plain old RotA of their own.

Anyway, this is alright, doesn't do a whole lot but it's a buff on either a walking MST or a slightly weaker Guantlet Launcher so fair enough that these effects cannot be too crazy in their own right. I would say that if it could choose to search or recycle it'd make it better, especially since to get the effect you're likely giving up another from a different Diehard, I don't know maybe that'd be too much.

Second Recruit - Fucking hell, got quite a bit of a buff on this in comparison to the last one. Works in tandem with First Recruit to more or less guarantee a hit, and an in-built 500 Moon Mirror on anything means whatever this makes will bait out Castel/Raigeki/UTL, so that's a good thing. I like this one a deal more, because with the things like Magnus and Ultimate Falcon and Exodia the Summoned God and such, there's a trend being set and there's going to need to be more stuff like this that assists traditional methods of administering death,

I see no problems with this, the only difference it has from the usual (if you can call it that, there's very few) battle stat buff is that it hits for 500 as opposed to 100 which, I don't really see why it breaks the convention, but it's fine anyway.

Third Recruit - Gives everything a Giant Hand kind of thing but with Blackship of Corn conditionality. It's alright but you'd only want to use it on Super Soldier 1 seen as the other 2-mats, thus far at least, have low enough ATK that they're hurting nothing significant, whereas this makes it a walking Fiendish Chain on the likes of Ignister, which is an extremely relevant thing to be hitting. Changing the battle position can be nice as well, for shifting things into a position where you can kill them with your weaker stuff and swing for more. 'Tis nice.

Sixth Recruit - Why you decided to skip 4 and 5 and go straight to this is not clear to me, especially since the attributes you have not yet covered are water and wind which have no real correlation or connection, but I digress. Everything becomes BLS. Alright. This combined with any of the other 3 turns all the Xyz into potent killing machines which I like. Gives them an actual Super Soldier-y thing about them as opposed to the shitty BLS ritual that tainted the title.

I'd have concern about the fact that throwing this onto the MST on legs chap in combination with Third Recruit can really start fucking things up by popping whatever, Fiendish Chain-ing a thing and then double slam, because that chap then becomes a really potent up-fucker of plans, and a huge disruptor on the opponent's turn, and I can't decide if I like that or am concerned by it. Shall do the Xyz and then leave the spell and trap things for another day.

Well either tomorrow or never. But at least I'll have done my duty and provided some comments to an AC thread which I've been trying to get doing.

Super Soldier 1 - Apart from making Gem-Knight Pearl kill himself this isn't anything particularly. You really could have made these generic I feel and they'd be alright for the most part. Scratch that actually nah Dire Wolf is as strong as generic rank 4 removal should get. None of this is to do with this card. Umm. It relies entirely on dice roll banter, which is not a fantastic starting point, as whatever this can do the other ones can do better with the result manipulation effects, and its higher base ATK isn't really useful when there are 2 Recruits who either boost ATK of whatever over anything, or slide things into defence to be murdered.

Super Soldier 2 - Walking MST. Disrupts scales, baits backrow, mostly just disrupts scales because it's a walking MST not a plain old Twin Twister which work quicker and easier and at far less cost. It's undoubtedly a strong base effect but its power now is much less than it'd have been a year or so ago. Still strong just not so much. However when it gets the effect boosts, it becomes a far more potent thing and the MST is just one of a myriad of threats it poses. I like this, I'm just not sure if it's slightly too weak or just right, leaning toward the latter but not dismissive of the former.

Super Soldier 3 - It's something. Really this would need to be spell speed 2 to be really threatening, however it is then too good. Could get away with it not being an OPT, because nothing really survives to use an effect like this twice unless you've already won, and as a one pop shop there's no reason to go into it over Castel/101 apart from the Recruit buffs, which while I appreciate are the core of the strategy, egh. Not so much sold on this one, against certain decks it's incredible but against pendulums and such it does nothing to them unless you win that turn.

Super Soldier 6 - I really do not get the restrictive pseudo-Dyson Sphere burn per material effect, especially at such a low value, and even moreso that you put a burn effect on the Dark soldier as opposed to the Fire one. The float effect though, that's near perfect really. You invest 3-mats into this, I think it can get away with not needing a discard cost, but then I think of the fact that 3 different Recruiter buffs turn this into an actual super soldier and it's fine as is. Burn effect is random and I really don't get where that came from, but the float is delightful. Initially I thought this looked a bit shite but upon further review I really like it.

Not going to go into the S/T, even though there's only 3, because you're not going to want to read something this length anyway and what am I doing with my life that I wrote this out. I'm sorry, bye.

Archived