Boku Dake ga Inai Machi/ERASED

Shradow

So we've finally got word about the spin-off manga.

"Now the new series, entitled Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi: Re, has begun and the premise has been revealed: the story takes place while the main character, Satoru Fujinuma, is still unconscious in a coma that ultimately lasts for 15 years. The focus of the story shifts to Kayo Hinazuki, who is now a junior high school student."

I'm super excited. We get more Kayo!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we still never given explaination for why he even has that power in the first place?

Is ERASED supernatural or scifi then

Why are the villains all cartoonish and have no notable or relatable goals and just like to be bastards for the sake of being bastards

Why are people so mad he got cucked, no girls will wait that long for guys and no guys will wait that long for girls. True love dont exist. 

There is also an unspoken rule in alot of fantasy story. If a character possess something supernatural, its not exclusive to them ever. That means there are others like him, and this is always prevalent in any stories like Death Note, Attack on Titan, Mirai Niggi, etc. The fact that we dont ever get a rival with the same power as our boring generic MC but some serial killer who kills for funsies 

It's likely there are better ways to handle the story, AND this show does have some problems that ultimately make me not very fond of it, but not revealing the cause of Satoru's time jumps isn't that bad. It's essential to the story, but the reasons behind the power ultimately don't matter to the overall emotional arc and conflict. You can even pretend most of the show didn't happen and that Satoru was able to leap back in time is just a what-if or a hypothetical scenario if that makes it more acceptable. The time leap is the only reason the story exists in the first place but it doesn't play into the emotional significance of the story. It's acceptable to me because Boku Dake was a fairly short story all things considered.

It's more supernatural than sci-fi but again, it doesn't really matter. And a rival with the same powers would probably just make the plot feel more convoluted and cheesy, and would make an eventual explanation of the time leap mechanic even more necessary.

Villain sucks big time though, could've had a believable motive, that would've made things interesting. It was ultimately a fairly unmemorable show to me. Kinda surprised to see this thread bumped now.

EDIT: Reading back on the thread now I enjoyed the show a fair bit when it was running. Guess it was the villain reveal and the end that made me sour on the thing after all.

It's likely there are better ways to handle the story, AND this show does have some problems that ultimately make me not very fond of it, but not revealing the cause of Satoru's time jumps isn't that bad. It's essential to the story, but the reasons behind the power ultimately don't matter to the overall emotional arc and conflict. You can even pretend most of the show didn't happen and that Satoru was able to leap back in time is just a what-if or a hypothetical scenario if that makes it more acceptable. The time leap is the only reason the story exists in the first place but it doesn't play into the emotional significance of the story. It's acceptable to me because Boku Dake was a fairly short story all things considered.

It's more supernatural than sci-fi but again, it doesn't really matter. And a rival with the same powers would probably just make the plot feel more convoluted and cheesy, and would make an eventual explanation of the time leap mechanic even more necessary.

Villain sucks big time though, could've had a believable motive, that would've made things interesting. It was ultimately a fairly unmemorable show to me. Kinda surprised to see this thread bumped now.

EDIT: Reading back on the thread now I enjoyed the show a fair bit when it was running. Guess it was the villain reveal and the end that made me sour on the thing after all.

Im still sour about that though. I'm more curious about the mystery of Satoru power and the reasoning behind the mechanic than WHO KILLED A CUTE LIL GIRL AAAAHH PLAY WITH AUDIENCE 4 CHEAP SYMPATHY. 

Also how would having rivals be cheesy. I guess it turn the story into an action shonen instead but like the main villain is so underwhelming and such a gigantic wimp. Satoru needs someone his equal. I felt no tension thru the story and snoozed because he can just turn time if he goofed up. Time loop story never have any fun for me because its such a broken power. 

JOJO PART 4 > ERASED

Archived