Dova

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scores:

[spoiler=Dova's Reviews]

[spoiler=The Eternal Dolphin]
Tiger Soul
A rather interesting take on a Union relationship, providing general protection along with the targeting prevention, which is interesting in the fact that it blocks attacks and effects, rendering the battle protection not so useful. Powerful, but then again, focused on one card, so I like it. If you want to play Offensive, you can summon a R4, which adds to it. Nothing particularly striking, but a neat card.
OCG/Grammar: 5
Balance/Usability: 25
Creativity/Flavour: 10
Total: 40/50

[spoiler=Enguin]
Illusionist Faceless Archmage
This card brings quite a few mind games into YGO, and makes me want to see more support for this card. The Magical Hats effect is...interesting...to say the least, requiring you to have field advantage, but not being useful if your opponent just wipes your side of the field. The float effect allows you to Summon another one next turn, or maybe even the same turn, provided your opponent can still attack. Maybe a little bit on the OP side, but you needs OG Mage out, which is a Level 5, so that brings it down.
Balance/Usability: 24
Creativity/Flavour: 12
Total: 41/50

[spoiler=Saikyou no Majin]
Knight of the Millenium
A neat card, if a bit difficult to bring out. Only thing that comes to mind is Noble Knights and Igknights. Even when bought out, the Xyz entirely focuses on the one card, requiring that card even to use its Xyz effect. Yes, the effects are good, but, again, too reliant. That is balanced a little out by the fact that Millenium Shield is easy to equip to this card, but, if it gets MST'd or something, you're not adding it back on.
Balance/Usability: 21
Total: 36/50

[spoiler=nunuke]
Nekogal #0
The last effect would be a problem, due to the fact that it stacks, but the boost is really lacking, and would require quite a bit of setupt to actually pull off. The effect is nice, and helps you not brick as much, but doesn't provide any form of protection, which wouldn't be a problem, but again, a bit weak. OCG here is not that great, but not too bad either.
OCG/Grammar: 4
Balance/Usability: 22
Creativity/Flavour: 9
Total: 35/50

[spoiler=Kinka-Byo]
Armor Tailor
I think the main power point here is the wide range of support, especially since Metal Armored Bug is up there with the top powers. Another interesting point is the fact that, although it targets a "rmor" Normal Monster for the level changing effect, it effects all "rmor" monsters, which is good for itself, but opens up the possibily for non Normal rmors, but I can't see any exploits with the ones in the current game. This card adds quite a bit of power to the cards, making them a deck which might stand a chance against some of the newer decks, but doesn't go over the limit. Also searchability.
Balance/Usability: 26
Total: 43/50

[spoiler=Tyretian]
Architect of the Impenetrable Labyrinth
Well, this card builds on the basic idea of Labyrinth Wall, making it a wall that protects itself and other cards. As you said, Tenki and 1-4-1 get this card out, but not too much of a problem, just being techs. 3000 DEF is a strong defense, and the protection from card effects and targeting helps. Shame it only banishes from field or Graveyard, but I guess anywhere else would be overpowered. A little caps issues here and there, but otherwise fine.
OCG/Grammar: 4.5
Balance/Usability: 25
Creativity/Flavour: 11
Total: 40.5/50

[spoiler=Trebuchet NS]
Kozaky's Corruption
It really does fit the theme of the Gigago storyline, but I am concerned about the lack of OPT. Can be real spammy when it comes to all these Normal monster summoning methods, and, although the last effect isn't THAT abusable, I see some nasty combos if you can keep getting those corruptions back in your Grave. I like the idea, but feel it is too abusable.
Balance/Usability: 22
Creativity/Flavour: 13

[spoiler=Kanashisa]
King Bunilla
So, this card supports a normal monster, by forcing you to also use a card that you wouldn't ever run with that supported card? I mean, there's only one Carrot card, and that's a pretty weak plant type, but plus for it wanting to grave. However, the summoning effect kinda makes up for it in Level 1 Spam/Xyz.dek. However, the lore is great.
Balance/Usability: 20
Total: 38/50

[spoiler=Zanda Panda]
Magnet Warrior Delta
The effect is wonderful at what the Magnet warriors are trying to do; Summon Valkyrion. Shame you need 1 Extra Summon, considering you can't use the Magnet Warrior in grave to Summon Valkyrion. Another weakness is it doesn't get Valkyrion easily into the hand. Valkyrion isn't too good in itself, but the protection makes it worth it, due to the high stats of the card.
Balance/Usability: 23

[spoiler=Nathaniel D. Striker]
Ancient Sorceress
The card is interesting, but what really, really concerns me is the lack of OPT. You use this card to Summon Sorcerer, Shuffle into deck to Summon Sorcereress, which summons another Sorcerer, which you can shuffle to Summon another Sorceress and Sorcerer, leaving you with a field of 4 monsters with no effort. That might be alright on its own, just setting you up for Rank 4s, but the Destruction effect as well and no OPT? Really worrying. A nice addition, but far too overpowered in my opinion. Summoner Monk as well? This card is overpowered.
Balance/Usability: 17
Creativity/Flavour: 9
Total: 31/50

[spoiler=cardgameking]
The First Pharaoh
Shame it mostly focuses on "Pharaoh's Servant", because otherwise it might be a threat. You first have to get these bad boys out, which is difficult, unless you somehow pulled off "Spirit of the Pharoah", but again, still difficult to just do that. It's an interesting take on the spammyness of the cards currently, but too specific, and too reliant on your own cards, considering this is almost the only support they have. OCG is a little off, but forgivable.
Balance/Usability: 19
Total: 36.5/50

[spoiler=Fluffyfish]
Fiend Mirror Prison
This card is relatively easy to get out, considering all you need to do is Normal Summon a mirror while your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster. The inherent Summon kills a lot of decks, but is it broken? No, because the monsters come back, and the summoned monster itself has no protection. The Hard OPT on the Summon also limits it a lot, making this a possible Tech in a lot of decks. His usability brings it up a notch.
Balance/Usability: 26

[spoiler=Flipflopfrog]
Tiger Tamer
Synchros and Xyzs to quite a few tiger monsters? Works very well, and the Level boost effect helps a lot with Synchro plays, and that 1 Tiger for an Xyz. Shame it doesn't Summon from the Deck, but I think the card works as is. In fact, maybe Summoning from the Deck would be overpowered, given the easy Extra Deck plays. It can be added by Tenki, which is another plus, so that also works in its favour. Not too weak or strong in this format. OCG has some problems, but otherwise fine.
Balance/Usability: 23
Creativity/Flavour: 8
Total: 35.5/50

[spoiler=Brainifyerlives]
Thousand Eyes Strength
Had to take a bit off this one, because it supported the "Thousand Eyes" archetype (Which doesn't exist), but you meant to support the "Thousand-Eyes" archetype. As for the card itself, it's not very powerful. Protection only by battle for a 0 ATK card, and the attack boost is negligible. Has to Summon by hand in the first place, which isn't too easy to do. R1 possibly is ruined again by the difficulty of getting it out.
Balance/Usability: 20
Total: 34.5/50

[spoiler=Tythe's Reviews]

nunukyuu
"A p...fairy." uh, yeah.

Balance/Usability: 26/30 It being a beast-warrior gives it searchability and the fact that it forces one to special both other Nekogals means that one can't just abuse it for 3 or 6 XYZ Spam.
Creativity/Flavour: 8/15 I'll admit, you picked a hard couple to tackle. They have no real backstory or anything. However, my main qualm is the fact that this card is #0 and is higher leveled than #1 (among other, smaller things).
OCG/Grammar: 4/5 Just a few issues, but not ones that makes it difficult to understand how the card works.

Zanda Panda
What's so Magnetic about these guys, anyway?

Balance/Usability: 23.5/30 If E-hero Stratos has taught me one thing, it is make sure to have a hard-OPT on cards like these. The search and dump is really effective, but it can be triggered many times and even load both its own effects by searching/dumping another copy of itself.
Creativity/Flavour: 9.5/15 Y U NO Rock-type?! Nah, but seriously, that is actually pretty big considering even Valk is Rock-type. Fortunately, a redeeming flavor aspect is the stats. Just as Alpha is exactly 100/100 under Beta, this is exactly 100/100 over Gamma, which is nice.
OCG/Grammar: 5/5 :3

The Eternal Dolphin
A nice, high ATK monster that amusingly can be used for walling.

Balance/Usability: 26/30 This card has no hard-OPT, but it is balanced out by the fact that it only Specials from the Hand of Grave, limiting the scope of its power. Its effect can also trigger when it is Summoned from being an Equip though which can lead to silly (albeit inconsistent) 3 mat Rank 4 plays.
Creativity/Flavour: 12/15 Though Soul Tiger lacks a real backstory, the fact that you tried to reverse everything about the original card yet incorporated what you could from it into this deserves a nod.
OCG/Grammar: 4.5/5 Grammar itself is accurate, but one thing: it gives target protection and it also gives battle protection. That's redundant since the target protection prevents it from being targeted in battle as well.

Total: 42.5/50

Trebuchet MS
The downfall of Gagagigo symbolized in a single card.

Balance/Usability: 27/30 All the effects for this card are powerful but limited in scope. The second effect may directly trigger the first, but the second effect is limited and forces the running of the easily-dead higher levels, so it self balances sorta.
Creativity/Flavour: 11/15 The Gagagigo series happen to have quite an extensive backstory. This card fits with the flavor of Giga Gagagigo mostly, but it loses it in reference to the other Gagagigos since Kozaky only directly impacted Giga Gagagigo and wasn't really the reason for his downfall. I could talk more about flavor, but I want to keep this short.

Kinka-Byo
Armor Exe cries in a corner

Balance/Usability: 26/30 It seems very average, in all honesty. The fact that there lies no previous synergy between the "rmor" cards makes it a little out there, but it does do a good job relating them together. Nothing overly good nor bad about this card. + Points for searchability though.
Creativity/Flavour: 7.5/15 The thing that provides the flavor for this card is the name mostly. Again, without anything relating the other armors, there's not much else to go by.

Total: 38.5/50

Kanashisa
Mokey Mokey King?! Why are you in a bunny suit?!

Balance/Usability: 23/30 This card really pushes the boundaries on balance. Its Hard-OPT is the main thing keeping it in check, however, it can still be played around. Carrot Human likes being in the Grave and its instant setup at the "cost" of summoning a level 1 beatstick seems... well, simply, this card's costs don't really hold up to its effects.
Creativity/Flavour: 13/15 The flavor of this card is the real pusher. Not only does it have the reversed stats (making it powerful enough to legitimately bethe bunilla king), but it has the Mokey Mokey King effect of minion spam. The Carrot stuff only adds to its flavor.

Saikyou no Majin
A nice, high ATK monster that amusingly can be used for walling.

Balance/Usability: 25/30 This card is a Rank 5 Beelze that can stop targeting for a bit. It's conditions would be fair for the amount of initial power it has, but it can (unfortunately) be subverted through Tellarknight Ptolemaeus (though Millenium Shield would still need to be run). Aside from that, the card is surprisingly passive, which is nice.
Creativity/Flavour: 13/15 Millennium Shield isn't a card with a huge amount of backstory, but that's fine considering what it is. This card embodies that since it is really difficult to remove while equipped with the mighty shield. The main qualm I have with this is the fact it doesn't mirror Millennium Shield by having 3000 ATK, but that's just opinion.
OCG/Grammar: 4.5/5

Total: 42.5/50

cardgameking
I'll bet this guy became the King of Skull Servants in the afterlife...

Balance/Usability: 22.5/30 Despite this card's general flexibility, it is unfortunately still lacking in power.
Creativity/Flavour: 14/15 In terms of flavour though, this card is quite nearly perfect! From its protection while you control the Servants, to the boost (interpreted as a morale boost). The only thing I'd have prefered was if "Pharaonic Protector" was included in the card's effects.
OCG/Grammar: 3.5/5 Needs work, but still able to be understood without trouble.

Fluffyfish
You're about to enter a world of pain... a world of chaos... a world of absolute mayhem...

Balance/Usability: 28/30 This card is paricularly useful in exchange for running an old Normal Monster. It holds place as a unique on-demand spot removal of any Special Summoned monster. Considering how Decks work nowadays, unless it's a MIRROR MATCH, you aren't too likely to get use from the monster's effect, but it is usually fine since you can recycle this.
Creativity/Flavour: 11.5/15 This card is amusing. It truly encompasses the flavour of one of the 2 "Fiend Reflection" cards, but completely ignores the other. That said, this card touches on so many other cards including "Fiend's Mirror" the Imprisoning Mirror cards and especially Phantom of Chaos (which this more feels like a retrain of).

Total: 44.5/50

Flipflopfrog

Balance/Usability: 27/30 It seems pretty average, in all honesty. There isn't any ties between the "tiger" monsters so it makes it a little out there, but it does effectively relate them with a nice ability to XYZ or Sync with them (and actually provides a nice Sync9 engine). Further points though for searchability.
Creativity/Flavour: 7.5/15 The thing that provides most of the flavor for this card is the name. Again, without anything relating the other tigers, there's not much else to go by. (Funnily enough, there actually are 2 "tiger" monsters that support Normals: White Tiger Summoner, and Terratiger, the Empowered Warrior)
OCG/Grammar: 4/5 Just a few issues, but not ones that makes it difficult to understand how the card works.

Striker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yP4i_W1s5I

Balance/Usability: 15/30 This card is, unfortunately, WAAAY too easy to loop out of control. Its applications with "Summoner Monk" alone would open up ridiculous numbers of plays and since there is no OPT of any kind, you can keep looping its effect infinitely just to waste time.
Creativity/Flavour: 6/15 Unfortunately, this card has minimal connection with its Normal counterpart and does not anything to Sorcerer's flavor at all.

Total: 26/50

Enguin
https://45.media.tumblr.com/63aaa84a8fa1e500e86a4be8f22a4e93/tumblr_mydy19ELli1t9h0w5o1_r2_500.gif

Balance/Usability: 27/30 This card is paricularly useful in exchange for running an old Normal Monster. It has a really nice non-destruction removal effect and the Magical Hats effect is an amusing little gimmick. I think it is very good at what it does, but what puts it over the edge in my eyes is the fact that it can go on the offensive on top of its defensive capabilities.
Creativity/Flavour: 11/15 Despite only 1 line of text, this is surprisingly flavorful. It is as though the mage had perfected all his skills. However, doubling both stats seems extremely excessive. The only card that shows that much improvement is Baby Dragon -> Thousand Dragon which makes sense. This card has no real reason for being so overwhelmingly over its counterpart.
OCG/Grammar: 5/5 :3 (one thing to note, its self-summon isn't treated as a fusion summon. Nothing wrong, but just making sure that was intentional).

BrainifyerLives
I see all, I know all, certainly I know of your Pokemon! -PokeSeer

Balance/Usability: 24/30 This card seems extremely simple, but honestly rather ineffective. Since it restricts the Idol's summon from the Hand, both would end up as dead weight if drawn without the other. However, this could be summoned with One for One and can be used in multiples which helps.
Creativity/Flavour: 10/15 As simple as this card is, it is quite effective at showing that Idol has some hidden power. However, it would probably be more flavourful to somehow swarm with this (considering "Thousand-Eyes")
OCG/Grammar: 4.5/5 "Thousand-Eyes" needs the dash.

Tyretian
Beware the Minotaur

Balance/Usability: 26.5/30 An effective little card whose real draw is the fact that its ability can be used in the Grave. It is particularly viable since it can be searched (since it is a beast-warrior) or Special'd with One for One. Its downside is that it is an extremely dead draw since trying to bait the opponent while this is on the field is pretty ineffective.
Creativity/Flavour: 13/15 I assume that its Beast-Warrior typing is in respect to the Minotaur while its stats I assume are reflective of being a tenth that of Labyrinth Wall's. The only "complaint" I can make is that it would have been nice to have had Daedalus' name or a reference to him since he was the builder of the mythological labyrinth.
OCG/Grammar: 4.5/5 A few caps missing and an odd phrasing, but nothing too bad.

Total: 44/50

[spoiler=Totals]

1. Fluffyfish 85.5/100
2. Tyretian: 84.5/100
3. Enguin: 84/100

4. Trebuchet NS: 83.5/100
5. The Eternal Dolphin: 82.5/100
6. Kinka-Byo: 81.5/100
7. Kanashisa: 79/100
8. Saikyou no Majin: 78.5/100
9. cardgameking: 76.5
10. Zanda Panda: 76/100
11. Flipflopfrog: 74/100
12. BrainifyerLives: 73/100
12. nunuke: 73/100
14. Nathaniel D. Striker: 57/100

Glad this didn't take too long. Be sure to tell us if you disagree with our reviews! Rewards will be left for a few days for people to all view the results, and thank you all for competing!

RIP Striker died 27/1/2016 in Dova's Competition. 3rd is good, would obviously prefer 1st but so would everyone.

Come to think of it I disagree with both of your reviews of my card and feel each should have awarded me an additional point. I will not cite specifics, but please amend this error.

please please, this is hilarious

What capital letters did I miss out/do wrong? I see that I missed out a "can" in the discard effect, so 4.5 is fair, but as far as I can tell my capitals are correct.

Huh. I can't see any caps issues right now, but I'll have to get back on Tythe. If 4.5 is fine then we can leave, but best to find out the problem.

Enguin gives us no WHY our reviews are bad rip

Archived