[Finished]Multi-Stage Contest: Build an Archetype!

Draconus297

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Archetypes for review]

[spoiler= "Silver"]

kPmdluN.jpg

Effect-

If this card battles a Zombie, Beast, or Beast-Warrior Type monster, banish that monster at the end of the Damage Step. If this card is destroyed by a card effect, Special Summon a "Silver" monster from your hand or Deck.

[spoiler= "Mag-MAX"]

CSkcxwn.jpg

Effect- 

If you control 2 or more FIRE monster(s): You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only Special Summon "Mag-MAX Leo" once per turn this way. You can only use each of the following effects once per turn:
1) You can Banish 1 FIRE monster from your Graveyard: Target and destroy 1 set card your Opponent controls.
2) When this card would get destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Mag-MAX" monster from your Graveyard to your hand, except "Mag-MAX Leo".

[spoiler= "Grimmoire"]

Grimmoire Botis
LV5 LIGHT
[Fiend/Effect]
When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 other "Grimmoire" monster you control; this card's Level becomes equal to that target's Level. When this card is flipped face-up: Your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn. If this card is destroyed, you can place this card face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone as a Continuous Spell Card instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, if this card is face-up in a Spell/Trap Zone: You can target 1 monster on the field; change it to face-down Defense Position.
2300/2000

[spoiler=LOST]
h9KlQZP.png
Monster Effect:
FLIP: This card gains 1000 ATK. If this card deals battle damage to your opponent: You can Special Summon 1 "LOST" monster from your Graveyard in face-down Attack Position. You can only use this effect of "Herald of the LOST" once per turn. If this card attacks or is attacked: It is changed to face-down Attack Position at the end of the Battle Phase.
Pendulum Effect:
If you Pendulum Summon a monster(s): You can change all monsters you control to face-down Attack Position. Face-up monsters you control cannot attack.

[spoiler= "Dark Angels"]

5W1ZJui.png

Effect-

When this card is Special Summoned: Draw 1 card; send a "Dark Angels" from your Deck to the Graveyard. If this card is sent to the Graveyard; Draw 3 cards, then discard your hand unless you reveal a "Dark Angels" card from it.

[spoiler= "Funtown"]

Funtown Sheriff Ferris
WIND 7*
Machine/Effect
If you paid 1500 or more Life Points during your last turn, you can Special Summon this card from your Hand. Players must pay 500 Life Points to declare an attack. You can pay 1000 life points; add 1 "Funtown" monster from your Graveyard to your Hand. You can only use this effect of "Funtown Sheriff Ferris" once per turn.
1700/2900

OK, seeing how no one else has voted, I'll give this thing a crack.

Ria the Silver Blade

The banish effect here is nice, as it can prevent the graveyard shenanigans of Zombies, and deal with Fire Fist monsters easily. However, besides those, I can't think of anything major this effects. The second effect is bit more... meh. Destruction effects aren't what they used, so it isn't as useful as it could be. Then again, Mirror Force and Raigeki are still very common, so it can get off there. The stats are nice for its level, and it can be used for Rank 7 plays if necessary. 

Mag-MAX Leo

Well, first off it is a level 5 special summoning tuner, so that's something. Would have been nice, in my opinion, if it was a level higher for use in Hazy Flame decks, but still. The conditions for summoning should be easy enough to fulfill, but not ridiculously easily so that's something as well. The first effect is a bit underwhelming for a secondary boss monster (unless the archetype has a banishing/flipping cards face down gimmick). The second effect is nice as, with only 2000 attack, this thing can be easily trampled on. It can let the archetype recycle itself, which is important.

Grimmoire Botis

Well, this guy is interesting. If you flip summon, you can go straight into an Xyz or Synchro play and it stops stuff like Kozmo bringing out more when they're destroyed. If it is flipped face up when attacked, it prevents your opponent doing any extra deck stuff in MP2, which is good. The Crystal Beast-like effect is interesting, taking the gimmick to new level. Its targeting, so stuff can avoid it. It gives you opportunities to use powerful flip effects, like Shaddol Beast's or that Prediction Princess who destroys all defense position monsters, it also presumably helps its own archetypes. 

Herald of the LOST

Well, this interesting. I'm not even sure how face down attack position would work. It is certainly very interesting, to say the least. Its attack is dismal, but can be raised quickly, allowing you to do what is required for the second effect to go off, so that you can get a lot of others out quickly. The Pendulum Effect, I need to see more of the archetype to comment on, but it is certainly interesting.

Frech, Purity of the Dark Angels

Wow. That is a LOT of draw power. This card seems more then a bit dangerous, as the second effect goes off no matter how it reaches the graveyard. I mean, with 1 already in the graveyard, soul charge, 1 in the deck and 1 in the hand, you can get 4 draws easily in your hand with little trouble. If it was from the field the effect occurred, then it wouldn't be too bad, but I dislike it at the moment. Funtown

Funtown Sheriff Ferris

Well, this guy seems fun. Self summoning if yo paid life points (not really hard), he forces people to pay points for attacks, which is a nuisance. His recycling ability is useful, though rather hefty. Not much I can say.

My vote goes to Mag-MAX Leo

i kinda forgot this was a thing.
So... voting stuffs:
Ria the Silver Blade
 Banish effect does almost nothing. Second effect is missing a clause.
Mag-MAX Leo
 What I assume will be a pretty easy summon condition, depends on the archetype though. Oh my good the phrasing. The "1)" effect, again, could be very powerful depending on the rest of the archetype, but it would seem to be very FIRE heavy, sooo... could probably use a nerf, especially considering the thing is level 5. "2)" effect depends on the rest of the archetype.

Grimmoire Botis

Easy xyz engine. The flp effect is interesting... i mean annoying. Though if this is the archetype's only way to set things back, you'd have to rely on this for all those flip effects (which i assume they have). I mean it would depend on the scope of those flip effects if this is good or a necessary evil. 

Herald of the LOST

Face-down attack position doesn't exist. An entire new chapter of rules would probably have to be devoted to how this would work.

Frech, Purity

Could use some otp's.

Funtown Sherriff Ferris

Real ironic use of the word "fun" there.

Sooooo since I can't vote for myself, I think Grimmoire'll get my vote

I mean, they could use the obvious.

1: If attacked, use the ATK value, battle damage can still be done.

2: If flipped, winds up in face-up Defense Position, like what happens with FLIP monsters in reverse.

3: Not treated as face-up, so continuous monster effects (Towers' ATK minus, Jinzo's Trap disabling, etc) aren't in effect.

Not all that hard.

Ria the Silver Blade
The first effect sets the stage for two kinds of archetypes: The one which wants to kill one or more types, and the one which manipulates your opponent's types. The second effect is missing a clause, but seems rather interesting, since it has no OPT and it can resummon itself.
Mag-MAX Leo
A very generic card. Yes, last effect is archetype specific, but first effect can make it a splashable card in any FIRE archetype. Powerful, but a little too powerful for my taste.
Grimmoire Botis
Too specific to comment much on itself at the moment, but it really gets me interested in the archetype. Sets up for Xyz plays, but that face-down hint towards the other cards wouldn't work out with Xyz....would it? I hope this archetype gets around that.
Herald of the LOST
ATK boost certainly helps with the Summoning effect. Certainly interesting how it summons from the Graveyard, but its a Pendulum.
Frech, Purity of the Dark Angels
Draw for a cost? No thanks, a little OP. Skill Drain says hi. Graveyard effect is a very powerful Allure of Darkness. Even with OPT, it's a very powerful card. Engine also says hi.
Funtown Sheriff Ferris
Aw man. So looking forward to where this archetype goes! Like Psychics, but a different take on the cost effect. OPT works well.

I vote for LOST because its the best archetype ever
I vote for Funtown, because that Archetype is just grabbing my attention! Seems balanced enough, and a new take on an old concept!

This archetype was a brilliant idea Draconus. I'm enjoying myself immensely!

Right.

Well, put simply, in all 3 votes, it was called out:

cardgameking pointed out the possibility of 4 easy draws for little cost, which is essentially Exodia enabling

Dova noted that Frech draws as cost, meaning said draw isn't negatable.

Even The Taken King realized it needed some OPT action.

It just wasn't well-developed or thought out. Interesting concept, but . . . no.

Right.

Well, put simply, in all 3 votes, it was called out:

cardgameking pointed out the possibility of 4 easy draws for little cost, which is essentially Exodia enabling

Dova noted that Frech draws as cost, meaning said draw isn't negatable.

Even The Taken King realized it needed some OPT action.

It just wasn't well-developed or thought out. Interesting concept, but . . . no.

the thing is... what the dark angels became in my own musings..... well, you'll see if i ever post it. need some s/t support and such. pretty sure it's at least a little op, though.

Archived