Dova's Competitions #2: Unused Type/Attribute Combos [Judging]

Dova

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These attributes and types just don't fit that well, oh well

PJQBG9F.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. This card is unaffected by other card effects. Must be Special Summoned by banishing four cards you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. During each Standby Phase: Pay 2000 Life Points or destroy this card. This card cannot attack directly. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster: Inflict piercing Battle Damage to your opponent. If this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: Inflict 2000 damage to your opponent. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Banish all monsters you control. This card cannot be used for a Synchro, Xyz, or Fusion Summon. This card cannot be Tributed.

Laviathan.png
Laviathan
Attribute: FIRE
Level: 9

Type: Sea Serpent / Synchro / Effect
Monster Effect: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can destroy all other cards in the same column as this card. Your opponent cannot use unused Monster Zones and Spell & Trap Zones in the same column as this card or a column in which you control no cards adjacent to it. Once per turn: You can move this card to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Zone. You can only control 1 "Laviathan".

ATK: 3000
DEF: 200

The name of this card comes from the words "Lava" and "Leviathan", not very surprising I presume. Either way, the destruction on summon is to simulate a volcanic eruption of sorts. Whereas the limitation to the card zones represents lava flowing out of the volcano; the lava makes the ground unusable while it flows. The point of ground being rather nutritious after lava cooling down is left out, because... it is evil lava(?). Or more seriously, I didn't want to let the player of this card get a a further disatvantage for losing one of his monsters.

Also made the art of the card myself.

Edit: Slightly altered the effect of this card. The picture shows its original effect. As such you can determine whether these changes are wihtin the rules. If not, you can judge the original card.

White Ptera | LEVEL 4

LIGHT | DInosaur | Effect

1500/1000

----

If this card is Summoned: Add 1 Dinosaur-type monster from your Deck to your hand, except "White Ptera". You can only use this effect of "White Ptera" once per turn. If this card leaves the field: You can target 1 Dinosaur-type monster in your Graveyard, except "White Ptera": shuffle it into the Deck.

Guest BGMCANN0N

[spoiler=My Entry]0AknFoD.jpg

Snaipalm

Fire

✪✪✪

[Aqua/ Effect]

ATK: 300 DEF: 1300

When this card is destroyed (either by battle, or by card effect) while there is a face-up Field Spell Card(s) on the field: destroy all face-up cards. The Card Zones of those destroyed cards cannot be used until your opponent's 3rd End Phase after activation. When a monster(s) is Summoned while this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; that monster(s) loses 500 ATK.

Well my idea was to make something revolving around Snails and Napalm...  Though effect wise it probably leans more towards the napalm in that regard, but it is clever wordplay right? Also, I wanted to give this guy a potential edge to cripple Pendulum decks so that is why the Card Zone thing is there. And the banish effect: I wanted it to synergize with an existing card known as Oh F!sh.

Side note: I wish the resolution of the art I put so much effort into didn't get so butchered by the card maker, but oh well the background was pretty contrived anyhow.

I'll join! Here's my entry:

[spoiler=Victim of The Deep]j8gFbjw.png?1
Pendulum Effect: If you Normal or Pendulum Summon a Zombie-Type monster(s): You can add 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to your Hand, whose level is less than or equal to the highest level Zombie-Type monster Summoned, but with a different name than a Zombie-Type monster(s) you control. You may only activate this effect of "Victim of the Deep" Once per Turn.
Monster Effect: When this card is Normal or Pendulum Summoned, you can apply either effect. You may only activate this effect of "Victim of the Deep" Once per Turn:
*Target 1 Zombie-Type monster you control; Destroy it, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Face-up Extra Deck or Graveyard.
*Send 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, and if you do, you can place 1 Zombie-Type Pendulum monster from your Deck in one of your open Pendulum Zones.

[spoiler=Usability/Design]Usability/Balance: The idea behind this card is to provide a more consistent, as well as relevant, engine for the shift into the Pendulum Format. It allows Zombies to move towards involving both the Extra Deck and Graveyard, which has only been lightly adopted by Pendulum Magicians in the TCG. This gives Zombies a distinct place in the Meta, while also allowing them to evolve. Zombies have never been immensely consistent, mostly relying on floating effects and Graveyard recycling to generate resources. While this is acceptable, there have been archetypes in the past that operate on this mechanic more effectively, as it should, since the Graveyard is a very vulnerable area. With the face-up Extra Deck being so new and relevant, there haven't been many weaknesses demonstrated by this mechanic, and not many cards yet can stop this. I hoped this would make a compromise between the two mechanics, and help them work together, rather than one being over-shadowed by the other. I also kept her stats weak and her level off, just to prevent her from directly contributing to Rank 4 or Rank 5 Zombie-Type spam decks.

Creativity/Flavor: I always imagined a Water Zombie as an undead spirit of the sea, so this was the closest manifestation of one I could muster. I imagined the lore of this character being somewhat dark, as her body lives on in the waterfalls. Her effects reflect this as well, calling out to the undead from afar, as she cannot leave the oceans. You can take this backstory many angles; murder, an accident, burial at sea, etc. Also, the color pallet of the imagery works surprisingly well as a Pendulum monster, as well as a water monster.

OCG: Should all be correct, albeit the text for the Pendulum effect may have been too stretched out. I made the 2nd effect of her monster effect all a single effect, to prevent dumb cost shenanigans (like Undyne). There may also be a better way to format her monster effect, like swapping the condition and effect text placement, and using a different symbol for the distinct effects (- instead of *), but it should be close enough to relay the exact mechanics of the card accurately.

[spoiler=Submission]hJfmmVx.png

Infinity Sword

FIRE | Level 8 | Psychic/Synchro/Effect | ATK 2700 | DEF 1800

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

During either player’s turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets a card(s) on the field: You can destroy as many cards targeted by that card/effect as possible, and if you do, draw cards equal to the number of cards destroyed on your side of the field. You can only use this effect of "Infinity Sword" once per turn. When this card is targeted for an attack: You can destroy this card, and if you do, draw 1 card.

[spoiler=Design]Usability/Balance: Infinity Sword has two major applications: to disrupt an opponent’s plays and to preserve your own card advantage. For an example of preserving your own card advantage, should your opponent use Frightfur Tiger’s effect to target Infinity Sword and 2 of your other cards, you can use Infinity Sword to end up drawing 3 cards, though your cards on the field would be removed regardless. This means you can also use this effect to disrupt effects like Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer’s and Kuraz the Light Monarch’s, where their targets are destroyed anyway but your opponent doesn’t get any searches or draws (although in the case where you destroy something targeted by Kuraz that you controlled, you would draw). This locks your opponent out of many effects, or otherwise requires them to bait Infinity Sword out. Some modern effects have effects target something on the field first before applying their non-targeting non-destruction removal effects, like Ignister Prominence and Kozmojo, and Infinity Sword can destroy the Pendulum Monster Card or Kozmo monster to cause those effects to fizzle (plus you get to draw a card if Ignister targeted a card you controlled). Though it can’t stop things like Tiaramisu. It also stops hand traps like Effect Veiler, allowing your monster to resolve off the field, or makes Nekroz of Gungnir practically unusable (though Nekroz of Decisive Armor can just be activated in the Damage Step, where Infinity Sword cannot activate). The point is, Infinity Sword has an extremely powerful and versatile effect (definitely one that deserves a hard OPT, which I gave) that makes it a Synchro staple on par with the likes of Clear Wing Synchro Dragon. However, it is at the same time not at all overwhelming because it can certainly be played around and also easily removable. It doesn’t protect itself from being removed, but it does preserve your card advantage even if it does. A simple Castel or any other targeting or non-targeting effect can remove it from the field, but you will still draw if the effect targeted (and Infinity Sword was not already used that turn). And of course, there is battle. Being Level 8, Infinity Sword is an alternative to Stardust Dragon, and similarly, Stardust has a weakness to battle. I’d say in this point in time Stardust has been powercreeped a bit, which is why Infinity Sword has 2700 ATK rather than 2500. Stardust can only avoid destruction by battle if it Tributes itself first, but Infinity Sword instead preserves your card advantage with a draw regardless of whether its first effect was used or not, at the cost of 2700 LP (usually) due to the replay caused by its effect.

Creativity/Flavour: I based this card off of Infinity Sword, because what other than a flame swordsman with floating swords could fit the FIRE Psychic-Type better? The first effect was meant to represent an action similar to what Illya does to Saber’s attack in this

at 3:00 (Prisma Illya spoilers), but with Infinity Sword’s floating swords, and the fact that it works up to any number of targets fits the “Infinity” Sword concept quite well IMO. Psychic-Type monsters of late, other than Kozmo, have left the LP-centric effects that Psychic-Types used to focus a lot on. I decided to revisit this concept with Infinity Sword’s second effect, in which you effectively draw a card at the cost of 2700 LP, but in battle damage. I had also considered making the effect convert any battle damage you take for the rest of the turn into effect damage, which also borrowed from how burn cards like Sparks, Ookazi, Tremendous Fire etc. are all fire-based, but it made the card far too clunky/busy than it needed to be, and IMO made it try too hard in pushing for superficial Psychic-Type flavour (that is, it being there just for the sake of it). Another thing I could have done for the second effect was to do something like “At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles: You can pay 2700 LP; destroy this card, and if you do, draw 1 card.” instead, which opened up an opportunity for LP costs in this case, but again, not only did I decide that it tried too hard in pushing for flavor, I chose the current effect for intra-card flavour, in which both the first effect and the second effect follows the idea of “card targeted (by effect in the first effect and by attack in the second) -> destroy the targeted -> draw for each targeted that you controlled”. Of course in the case of the second effect, you will (almost) always control Infinity Sword anyway.

OCG/Grammar: As the first effect of Infinity Sword is a new concept, I had to invent new PSCT for it with not much to go off of. Ultimately, I decided to use “as many cards targeted by that card/effect as possible” rather than “those target(s)” because “those target(s)”, I felt, should refer solely to a card or effect’s own targets. There were also the options of “that card(s) targeted by that card/effect” and “the card(s) targeted by that card/effect”, but the former caused an overabundance of “that” and parentheses, and the “the” was ambiguous in meaning (depending on its meaning, it could be unsuitable like “all”, which would be “as many as possible” in this case), so “as many as possible” was chosen instead. There was also the choice of “card effect” vs “card/effect”, but I decided to take from Cairngorgon in the end due to other similarities in effects. Finally, for the first effect, I opted to use “draw equals equal to the number of cards destroyed on your side of the field” rather than “draw 1 card for each card destroyed on your side of the field” simply because it was more appropriate, but it was a shame because “draw 1 card …” made for a better parallel with the second effect, marginally improving flavour. Oh, I guess there was a choice between “on your side of the field” vs “that you controlled” as well, but the former was simply more correct on both recent common usage and timing logic.

Given some afterthought to my entry, I found it might have been a tad too strong; getting 2 copies on the field could almost completely shut down your opponent (limiting them to "Kaiju" and alike, Field Spells, Pendulum Spells and hand/Graveyard effects). As such I slightly reworked its effect. The original image is still there so you can look at its original effect, and determine whether the changes are acceptable.

Here is a link to the entry in question: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/347371-dovas-competitions-2-unused-typeattribute-combos-deadline-near/?p=6807958

Petra-Pisces
EARTH
[Fish/Pendulum/Effect]
✪✪✪
<2/2>
1300/1500

Pendulum Effect: Once per turn, if a Fish-Type monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, it is not destroyed.

Monster Effect: If this card is destroyed by battle: You can target 1 of your banished Fish-Type monsters and banish 1 Fish-Type monster from your Graveyard; Special Summon the first target. You can only use this effect of "Petra-Pisces" once per turn.

------

Supposed to help banifish decks to keep field presence. I wanted to keep it simple and effective. Name is a pun of petrification and Pisces.

Just like to clarify, that on my entry, I'd like to fix the OCG and tweak a couple of minor things on the card. If that's not acceptable, or its too late to make changes, that's fine. I'll include the image once I arrive back home, but this is what the new OCG would look like.

Edit: Added image:

[spoiler=OCG Corrections]TGJZyud.png

Pendulum Effect: If you Normal or Pendulum Summon a Zombie-Type monster(s): You can add 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to your Hand, whose level is less than or equal to the highest level Zombie-Type monster Summoned, but with a different name than a Zombie-Type monster(s) you control. You may only activate this effect of "Victim of the Deep" Once per Turn.

Monster Effect: You may only activate the effects of "Victim of the Deep" Once per Turn. When this card is Normal or Pendulum Summoned, you can activate one of the following effects:
*Target 1 Zombie-Type monster you control; Destroy it, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Face-up Extra Deck or Graveyard.
*Place 1 Zombie-Type Pendulum monster from your Deck in one of your open Pendulum Zones, except "Victim of the Deep", and if you do, You can send 1 Zombie-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

Archived