IQuitDolphin

I quit quitting.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Monarch - A Tribute
-------------
v1

Monarch is a Tribute-based archetype focused on control and card advantage without using the Extra Deck. The Monarchs have various effects which trigger on summon, such as shuffling a card into the deck or banishing a card on the field, and are generally very potent in maintaining hand and field advantage. Their Spell/Trap card lineup is composed with great variety; the support gives them draw power, disruption cards, and their own personal floodgate. To make the Monarchs easier to summon, the Vassals and Squires are a supportive "sub"-archetype monsters that ease the process of summoning a Monarch with their effects.

Although the deck has an impressive amount of control and disruption at its disposal, the deck is hindered by a lack of consistency. The lack of an Extra Deck decreases the amount of utility Monarchs have at their disposal, and they are forced to play off of their hand and Main Deck. Opening hands can be extremely mediocre due to the inherent nature of Tribute Summoning; if you do not open the right combination, you are unable to play.

In general, if you do draw a Monarch but no fodder, you are unable to do anything. If you draw tribute fodder but no Monarch, you are also in trouble. The Spell/Trap lineup does nothing to cure the issue, as most of the support is focused on searching Monarch Spell/Trap cards and player disruption. Although Pantheism is a good dose of draw power, it can only do so much. 

The deck is also extremely wide open to disruption: Veiler, Ghost Ogre and Snow Rabbit, traps; these cards can cripple the deck's momentum to the point of not being about to do anything for the turn.

Despite these shortcomings, Monarchs are an easy deck to learn and pick up, and are best suited for beginners or people getting back into the game. The deck is extremely simple and their lockdown and control strategies give them an edge that easily puts them in the high tier.

Monster Lineup

Monarchs

The Peasants

Spell Lineup
Search/Draw Power

Control/Protection

Variants

Quantam Monarchs

Koko

Koko

How uncultured

• Legendary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,092 posts
  • Alias:Koko
Just as a reference point, most lists of Monarchs are playing 2-3 Kuraz. Saying to run 1-2 seems a little weird since it's not often played in those numbers and usually just comes out of the main for something like Delg vs the mirror.

IQuitDolphin

IQuitDolphin

I quit quitting.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Changed accordingly. I was influenced by my personal preference.

IQuitDolphin

IQuitDolphin

I quit quitting.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Bump with added text on Vassals and some spell support.

IQuitDolphin

IQuitDolphin

I quit quitting.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Updated with what I believe to be the complete Monarch Spell/Trap lineup.

IQuitDolphin

IQuitDolphin

I quit quitting.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Added some minor information on Quantam Monarchs.

MetalSonic

MetalSonic

Desperate Sellout

• 𝔻Ө𐌋𐌋𝔸𝓡$
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Spouse:Sari Sumdac
I think you should give a mention to the Frog build, since it was the most popular variant. Also, how about a section discussing their best and worst matchups?
Posted Image
Discord tag: Metal Sonic#4736

IQuitDolphin

IQuitDolphin

I quit quitting.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I think you should give a mention to the Frog build, since it was the most popular variant.

I could, but that build is largely deprecated as the Frogs aren't as consistent of a tribute fodder engine compared to Quantams or Vassals.

MetalSonic

MetalSonic

Desperate Sellout

• 𝔻Ө𐌋𐌋𝔸𝓡$
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

I could, but that build is largely deprecated as the Frogs aren't as consistent of a tribute fodder engine compared to Quantams or Vassals.

Fair enough, I guess. What about a section discussing Monarch's best and worst matchups?
Posted Image

White

White

• Night's Watch
  • 12,153 posts
  • Discord:#0196
  • Spouse:Fate

Think you should consider Brilliant Monarchs tbh

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

MetalSonic

MetalSonic

Desperate Sellout

• 𝔻Ө𐌋𐌋𝔸𝓡$
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Think you should consider Brilliant Monarchs tbh

Wasn't there also a Hieretic build or am I thinking of a different archetype entirely?
Posted Image

White

White

• Night's Watch
  • 12,153 posts
  • Discord:#0196
  • Spouse:Fate

Wasn't there also a Hieretic build or am I thinking of a different archetype entirely?

There IS, but Hieratics aren't nearly as meta potent as Brilliant has proven to be

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

IQuitDolphin

IQuitDolphin

I quit quitting.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

At the moment, this guide is COMPLETELY deprecated,so do not use this as a guide until I *maybe* update it.

goodfusion

goodfusion

Snailoon

• Xyz
  • 1,687 posts

This guide doesn't say anything about Treeborn Frog, wtf?

My signature

Med W Rage

Med W Rage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

dawg where is dark armed dragon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users