Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Natural Twenty

D&D

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Let's figure this out! (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Which edition are you interested in playing? (vote for multiple if you prefer)

1. 1e (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Advanced (if this, specify which edition) (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

3. Basic Set aka 2e (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 3e (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

5. 3.5e (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

6. Pathfinder (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

7. 4e (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

8. 5e (5 votes [19.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

9. Don't care or other (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

How should we play this?

1. Online tabletop (9 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Skype (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Forum (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Don't care or other (6 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote

Lewyn

Lewyn

I am nothing but a feckless minstrel.

• Topic Starter
  • Elite Members
  • 2,356 posts
    Last Visit Sep 22 2018 01:54 AM
  • Alias:Sethera

Well I've been waiting for people to catch up and read through handbooks as well as the DMs to come up with ideas and such.
It looks like I might have to step in and DM as well though since nobody's mentioned that they're coming up with stuff for this. If I do I'd do 5e though cuz I like that the most. I have experience with Roll20 so I can do that there though tbh I'm pretty intrigued by the idea of a skype campaign.

Also decided (to liven this thread a bit) we should have discussions and stuff. So...

First up. Newbies, what do you know about D&D? What are your expectations for it, and what are the things people have told you about it?

Veterans, how did you get into D&D? Did you have any preconceptions about it as well?

Tentacruel

Tentacruel

So Sorry

• Legendary Members
  • 11,636 posts
    Last Visit Sep 22 2018 08:45 AM
  • Alias:Tentacruel
  • Spouse:Falling Pizza

Ah shit there's a D&D club and I didn't even know.

YCM Username: TR-8R (Tenta)

Nickname: Tenta

Experience: Currently in my first game of 5e.  Planning to DM a couple games of 5e with two different groups.

Favorite Edition: I've only played 5e.

Playstyle: Instigator.

ADHDguitar banner

Thar

Thar

Bruh.

• Button Masher

• 12,040 posts
    Last Visit 4 minutes ago
  • Discord:Thar#3461
  • Spouse:Tormented

Well I've been waiting for people to catch up and read through handbooks as well as the DMs to come up with ideas and such.

The best way to learn is to play a game with the manuals open for reference, in my experience. In fact, character creation REQUIRES it, cause the mechanics are just too complicated to memorize.

FluffyWeeKentrosaurus-small.gif

Switch FC: SW-5328-8869-1579

Lewyn

Lewyn

I am nothing but a feckless minstrel.

• Topic Starter
  • Elite Members
  • 2,356 posts
    Last Visit Sep 22 2018 01:54 AM
  • Alias:Sethera

Well yeah, but some have already expressed interest in reading through handbooks and such. Mainly I've just been waiting for people to come up with character ideas and get acquainted with the basics. Also again, for DMs to decide if they want to DM and if so, which edition they'd like to DM and the format.

Tesability Black

Tesability Black

Thunder Dragon Champion

• The Last NetMonster
  • 1,716 posts
    Last Visit

Veterans, how did you get into D&D? Did you have any preconceptions about it as well?

I've been interested in it for a while, but the first time I really got into the scene was...actually a long story that I no longer really remember why I was there. All I remember was that my current boyfriend was with me at the time, despite the fact that this was many years ago. It was a 3.5e game, since the other versions weren't a thing yet, and I wound up getting to play both as a Druid (with a hell of a mouth!) that had a boa constrictor for a animal companion and a Monk, with both of them being adoptive sisters. I was legit allowed to get away with the Monk being allowed to recognize Druidic, if not understand it because of that. Said GM also gave me permission, despite the fact that their alignments would not have allowed for it at the time, to allow my two characters to cross class into the other's class. Druid/Monk duo, wouldn't that be a scary thought?

The funny story of that game, however, wasn't something that happened ingame, but out of game. I wound up having to share a cot with one of the dudes, that wasn't my boyfriend (you bet I kept my clothes on). I had got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the man I was sharing with rolled...

...and I wound up running out after hearing a THUD!! That dude woke up to probably the rudest awakening ever by suddenly having his face meet the wall.

The best way to learn is to play a game with the manuals open for reference, in my experience. In fact, character creation REQUIRES it, cause the mechanics are just too complicated to memorize.

Oh, ye gods, can I amen to that...

Also, I've played a few games to already have a 'default' character idea incase I don't have enough time to scheme a character, specifically my Noble-born Wild Magic Sorcerer/Divination Wizard. 'gives a grin'

Thar

Thar

Bruh.

• Button Masher

• 12,040 posts
    Last Visit 4 minutes ago

I missed this.

I started playing my second year of high school. I made a group of friends that were into a bunch of nerdy things, and D&D was one of them. When I first heard of it, I thought that was literally all it was was dragons in dungeons. Essentially, yes, that's what it was, but when they went into detail about it, I was blown away at how fleshed out and massive it was.

The first session I attended was a science fiction-esque version. When I was supposed to roleplay my character, I was pretty flustered and everyone acted accordingly but with no sympathy. That campaign didn't last long, but after that I started a campaign under version 3.5 called "Carcarane", which lasted months and was the only campaign I've ever attended to the end. I was an Elven Paladin (which I later laughed at cause of how stale both Elves and Paladins are) and the campaign ended with me wielding one of the other characters that was turned into a holy shield. The campaign concluded with me being a part of the Royal Elven Counsel.

After that, we didn't have that many other legitimate campaigns, at least none as long as Carcarane, but we did do it often, usually every weekend. We also LARPed, played various card games, and other junk.

After I moved away from them (on a bad note, might I add), I eventually got back into it when I joined a Pathfinder campaign that lasted a couple months before the group couldn't get an available day in and broke up. Since then I couldn't find a group to join, and with my lack of knowledge and experience in DMing, I couldn't get one together.

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova

• 3,569 posts
    Last Visit Today, 09:02 AM
  • Discord:Dova#1498
  • Alias:Dova
  • Spouse:Dova

Newbies, what do you know about D&D? What are your expectations for it, and what are the things people have told you about it?

I understand that it's a basically a VGRPG without technology, with all the character creation/stats/environments handled by the player, dice, and DM respectively. I've just read the rule book, so I understand that its complicated, but another IRL DnD player here said you could play if you just have a vague idea and learn as you go along. To be honest, I did one of these when I was younger, but less complicated.

Cherz

Cherz

Teddiursa!

• Advanced Members
  • 1,339 posts
    Last Visit Aug 05 2018 10:26 AM
  • Alias:Cherz
  • Spouse:Renegade

First up. Newbies, what do you know about D&D? What are your expectations for it, and what are the things people have told you about it?

Well, I know kinda the basics. I'm excited to play with a group of Vets! Like, this is totes a dream come true! My dad used to tell me about how he played it with his friends in Highschool, and I've had a few games. I started playing it around 6th grade. Both my brothers had a group of friends, and when we played, how cliche, they made the only girl there (me) play a healer. Thankfully, I enjoyed cleric. I always played a human cleric, but I have also always wanted to try assassin. I think this time around I'll stick to my guns with a healer though. None of my games have ever ended, and my highest level at any given time was 3.

66503_1392417719.gif

Tesability Black

Tesability Black

Thunder Dragon Champion

• The Last NetMonster
  • 1,716 posts
    Last Visit

Here's another question to ask the vets to give the newcomers an idea the sh!t that can happen.

I have two stories, one for myself and one for my boyfriend. I'll start with the BF first.

My boyfriend has this habit of grabbing seemingly-useless spells and somehow goldmining with them. Today, I speak of the 'Create Jelly' cantrip. At one point, in a particular campaign, we were dealing with an Orc merchant and he summoned up a gold-flavored jelly. He was trying to persuade the Orc to let him have a f*ckton of stuff in exchange for just the jelly. My boyfriend rolled a natural 20. The Orc rolled a natural 1. Yami got everything that dude had, and we were all long gone by the time that jelly vanished on its own accord an hour later. Out of game, we had to spend 15 minutes for everyone to stop laughing.

My own story is a case of 'not all natural 1s are bad'.

I was in a campaign testing out the above build I mentioned before, the nobleborn Wild Magic Sorcerer/Divination Wizard mix. I had rolled to hit a foe with a Firebolt cantrip and rolled a natural 1 to hit. Instead of seeing if I hit one of the others, the GM decided to roll on the Wild Magic Surge table. That cantrip turned into a Level 5 Magic Missile and every shot rolled high for damage. For those who know not what Magic Missile is, it is a multi-hit spell incapable of missing its target. That natural 1 essentially turned into a natural 20.

Crystal Remnants

Crystal Remnants

You've never seen a Rem like this

• Elite Members
  • 1,498 posts
    Last Visit Sep 13 2018 09:46 PM

Hey-O! Big time D&D (and other RPG systems) nerd here. Thought I'd jump right into things since I'm returning to YCM, so here goes:

YCM Username: Cätɐstrøphǝ

Nickname: "Catastrophe" is fine, but feel free to call me something that requires less typing. I'm not picky with these things

Experience: 3.5e, 4e, 5e, Pathfinder

Favorite Edition: 3.5 (Though Pathfinder is a close second)

Playstyle: Storyteller/Instigator

Posted Image

The Wisdom of the Ace:

Firstly, the figure of the Ace is one that inspires his allies

Secondly, he should shatter any wall

Thirdly, he should hit any ball to his utmost ability

Big Bad Pennar

Big Bad Pennar

A Legend to All, Tainted by None

• Legendary Members
  • 10,644 posts
    Last Visit Aug 19 2018 07:35 PM

In 3.5e, I just read up on Character Creation and quite a few feats, in addition, I have read a few other things, but nothing too advanced (Such as Spells and other things), I do expect at least a good campaign, but I can recognize quite a few game-breaking tricks (Such as the Chicken-infested "disadvantage" as a whole)

Posted Image

The Best Analogy about The RP Section

shadowliepard

shadowliepard

Waga michi wo terasu mirai kairo!

• Advanced Members
  • 512 posts
    Last Visit Jun 28 2018 11:49 AM

"Not all natural 1s are bad", huh? 

Today, when a player rolled a natural 1, the DM made them accidentally unleash the final boss. He murdered the previous boss we were fighting, who we were having enough trouble with, then incinerated a dire wolf in one shot. Aaand, by our paladin's guess, we can't recontain him in the box he was sealed in, since the seals were broken. So we're gonna have to fight him with our best fighter and our sorcerer half-damaged, me without any decent spells prepared, and the bard without inspirations.

This is a lot more interesting than our DM usually makes natural 20s and 1s, so I can't really decide if it's good or bad yet. We'll have to see how badly we get pulverized.

How I heard about D&D? I don't know how specifically. It's hard not to hear about something as popular as that. I'd had a vague idea what it was (people rolling d20s and fighting stuff with their characters) and I skimmed through the rulebooks on one occasion, but what really got me into the game was the opportunity to play it with a bunch of my friends, since one guy said he was a DM and the rest were interested and he set up a little campaign for us. We fooled around and did a lot of stupid things and wound up slaying a dragon and getting a city destroyed and retiring at level 6 to build a mansion with our 2k gold from the dragon's hoard.

In-Game Admin on DN February to July 2016.
I'm a girl. I'm 16 years old, living in California. That's Pacific Time Zone, GMT-8. Here are some archetypes I've made.

Y'all should check out my games, Remake a Card and Make up a Summoning Chant.

Thar

Thar

Bruh.

• Button Masher

• 12,040 posts
    Last Visit 4 minutes ago

My own story is a case of 'not all natural 1s are bad'.

I was in a campaign testing out the above build I mentioned before, the nobleborn Wild Magic Sorcerer/Divination Wizard mix. I had rolled to hit a foe with a Firebolt cantrip and rolled a natural 1 to hit. Instead of seeing if I hit one of the others, the GM decided to roll on the Wild Magic Surge table. That cantrip turned into a Level 5 Magic Missile and every shot rolled high for damage. For those who know not what Magic Missile is, it is a multi-hit spell incapable of missing its target. That natural 1 essentially turned into a natural 20.

That GM was forgiving as fuck.

My least severe natural 1 (or as we called "critical failure") was when I was firing an arrow at a Beholder's eye. Not only did I miss, but the arrow ricocheted off a mounted shield, through a wall torch, and into a barrel of gunpowder that half my party was standing by, bloodying them all with the explosion.

God Emperor Cow

God Emperor Cow

Neopolitan

• Moderators
  • 11,398 posts
    Last Visit Today, 04:08 PM
  • Alias:Lord CowCow
  • Spouse:Shiki/Aix

We're talking about Natural 1s?
I rolled a 1 for a Reflex check, dropped my torch onto the explosive cache in the castle, blew up a castle wall. My proudest moment.

Sadly I couldn't convince the GM to give me EXP for killing a wall.

8PBUpdp.gif

Tentacruel

Tentacruel

So Sorry

• Legendary Members
  • 11,636 posts
    Last Visit Sep 22 2018 08:45 AM
  • Alias:Tentacruel
  • Spouse:Falling Pizza

My party's wizard and I both rolled consecutive natty 1's trying to move a dead horse out of the road and threw our backs out.

Then our paladin shows up and tries to cut the horse in half and rolls yet another natural 1, which results in my hand almost getting chopped off. 

ADHDguitar banner

Tesability Black

Tesability Black

Thunder Dragon Champion

• The Last NetMonster
  • 1,716 posts
    Last Visit

Stories relating to Natural 1s wasn't the topic I meant to start, but, oh welL. XD I have other stories, but I ain' sharing them all...

Thar

Thar

Bruh.

• Button Masher

• 12,040 posts
    Last Visit 4 minutes ago

The best natural 1s are for communication checks, especially when my friend rolled to try and pick up a Nymph in a forest. He needed a natural 20 to win her over while she was turned away, and he rolled a 1. He ended up blind, ran into a tree that turned out to be an Ent, got thrown into a pile of thornbushes, and everything on his person, including his clothes, fell into the pond she was bathing in. Just listening to the GM list everything bad that happened to him made us all literally fall out of our chairs laughing.

Cherz

Cherz

Teddiursa!

• Advanced Members
  • 1,339 posts
    Last Visit Aug 05 2018 10:26 AM
  • Alias:Cherz
  • Spouse:Renegade
How does choosing a Diety work? Do I have to choose one of the gods on that chart, or can I choose any?

66503_1392417719.gif

Thar

Thar

Bruh.

• Button Masher

• 12,040 posts
    Last Visit 4 minutes ago

How does choosing a Diety work? Do I have to choose one of the gods on that chart, or can I choose any?

If you can make it work with your character, you can choose any deity you want, but usually each one is assigned to certain races and/or classes. It's usually stated in the manual which deity belongs to what, but really it's all about what your character wants to believe.

God Emperor Cow

God Emperor Cow

Neopolitan

• Moderators
  • 11,398 posts
    Last Visit Today, 04:08 PM
  • Alias:Lord CowCow
  • Spouse:Shiki/Aix

What Thar said but also, depends on the campaign. Some don't deal much with them and you can get away with having none. Some require only certain gods.

But usually there's some common gods, like Fighters tend to at least respect Kord, who is the god of strength. And so on. It really mostly matters for Paladins and Clerics, and such things, though.

8PBUpdp.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users