Pokemon: The Band of the Braviary [IC]

BANZAI!!!!

Theme~ Fate, Kokia

OOC

pYKpFHK.png

Hosts~ Zai, Keto

Some weeks ago…

“Of all the blasted times!” The nobleman’s voice thundered through the great hall of his estate, startling servants and staff as far away as the third floor and bringing more attention to the matter at hand. In front of him, standing at the base of the Dais on which the Duke’s table was set, was an exhausted, and now also frightened, messenger who had brought him some very bad news.

“M-milord,” the messenger began, only to be cut off as the baron rose from his chair. His heavy coat of fur billowed about him as he stepped down, the ornamental breastplate, bearing the stylized image of a pair of half-submerged Goodras, he wore glinting in the light of candles and torches in that hall. He raise a hand and, much to the soldier’s surprise, clapped him on the shoulder.

“You’ve done well bringing this news to me so quickly. Head to the barracks and get yourself some food and rest.” Before the messenger could try and thank him, he waved the man off on his way. His right hand, currently bare save for his signet ring, rose and covered his face while he began to pace in front of the Dais. “Barbarians… and a horde of them at that. I told my brother this would happen, but no. He had to run off and join the Duke on that absurd campaign across the Renos. I told him it wouldn’t change the Man’s mind, but no…” He realized quickly that he was rambling, and moreover that a number of the manor’s staff had come to investigate the disturbance. Just as he was waving them off, another voice cut through the silence.

“My lord Drachenmoore.” The Baron did not even have to turn to know exactly which dark haired man that gravelly voice belonged to, but he did anyways. His hand long since removed from his face, and the crimson eyes inherent to his line fell upon the tall man’s form. “Is there a reason you have decided to disturb the entirety of the manor’s peace.”

“There is indeed, Sir Drayden.” He found himself nodding his head. Yes, this was exactly the person he needed for the job. “It would seem that in the absence of Duke Elzwyre’s forces, a barbarian calling himself ‘Ragnar Serpent Tamer’ has decided to lay claim to much of the coastal lands. He’s already sacked three villages-”

“And you want somebody to take care of him and his ilk.” The dark haired knight interrupted, a ferocious grin coming to his face that the Baron found unsettling. “Do not worry yourself, Heinrich. I will muster my men and take care of everything.” Sighing, the Nobleman only watched as the knight, whom he had given command of a portion of the forces still left in the area, made his way out to go and do what he thought necessary.

“Try not to burn down every village the barbarians have claimed, Drayden.” He was not sure if he was heard, and less sure that he would be listened to. Sir Drayden Siedrich had a well known cruel streak, which was the main reason he was left in service to a Baron instead of going after something higher. Still, there was more to do. Heinrich summoned a scribe, and seated himself once more upon his Dais. “Pen a message for me. I, Heinrich Drachenmoore, Lord of the Drachenmoore Baronie…”

---

...do hereby decree that a sum of 1000 Dragons shall be paid to the order of those persons who are responsible for driving the barbarian menace from these lands. Proof of this deed must be provided in the form of the heads of 100 of the raiders, or else by testament of a Knight of Drachenmoore. Additional payment shall be rendered in the event that the head of the barbarian lord Ragnar Serpent Tamer is delivered to myself by the hands that severed it...” Vann folded the parchment back up and stuffed it into his pocket. “They must be taking the threat of this incursion very seriously. One thousand Dragons is quite the sum… and to offer it universally no less.” He spoke to no one in particular, though the red bird perched upon his shoulder and the presence that observed him from the nearby bush certainly heard and understood. “This must be Holzstadt. It's larger than I thought it would be.”

~Vann Lowenstein: one of the Band’s youngest members, was also one of the first to arrive at the designated meeting place. Though accounts differ, it’s generally assumed that the prince was around 19 years of age at this time, having rather recently left the lands of his family to strike out on his own. Though of noble birth, Vann is most often described as rather unassuming. Well equipped and clean save for the dirt from the road, but hard to notice were it not for the Fletchinder perched on his shoulder and the Scyther that occasionally came out from the shadows nearby. Slight and seemingly nonthreatening, but there would have been no mistaking him for anything but the adventurer he was. Naturally, the townsfolk kept their distance. ~

Though larger than the prince expected, Holzstadt was still a small town. Some strange halfbreed of the farming village it had been for generations and the small town it was gradually becoming, the place was a chaotic mess of buildings. Towards the edges of town, the buildings were mostly constructed of wood plastered over with clay and topped with thatch roofs. Further in, they tended towards being constructed of a mix of this and sun-baked clay brick. In the very center of town, along the northern stretch of the Dragon’s Walkway, the buildings were constructed entirely of this clay brick and covered in roofs of either thatch or shingles. The singular exception to this was the newly constructed, or rather reconstructed, Lucid Spinda. It was the only structure in the town constructed from quarried stone, and stood two stories tall with a tiered roof of shale and pitch to keep the rain and snow out.

~The Dragon’s Walkway is perhaps the most famous work of Midlen’s ancient engineers. Commissioned by Kaiser Vadrick Hapsburg some four hundred years before the emergence of the Band of the Braviary, it was an ambitious project intended to connect the far reaches of the kingdom together. While it was not completed until nearly a decade after his death, it remained throughout the centuries that followed. It was only during the War of Succession following the death of Kaiser Elbridge, Vann’s Great Great Uncle, that serious damage was done to the roadways as many protracted sieges were set upon the many fortified homes of possible successors. When the war was ended, Midlen’s coffers were severely depleted and there simply were not the resources available to properly repair it. This, coupled with severe storms and invasions from Kalos and Nortren, saw the Walkway in a wretched state of disrepair at the time of the Band.~

The rain and snow that had turned every road in the town, save the Walkway, into a disgusting mess of mud and sewage. Vann kept to the cobblestones as he made his way toward the ‘Spinda, taking care to avoid the mud and keeping his distance from the locals. Seig’s presence no doubt made them uneasy, and he had little need for trouble.

“I wonder who else may have answered the Baron’s letters. Surely not many would willingly trek so far north at this time of year, though the coin is tantalizing.” Seig was next to him now, the Scyther giving Vann a look that served to remind him that he was thinking aloud… again. “Right. Best behavior. Wouldn’t want to offend His Grace would we.” Vann eased the door to the Spinda open, the bell attached to the hinge giving a gentle ring as he and his Pokemon entered.

~Author’s note: The Lucid Spinda still stands today, though significantly added onto. It caters to pokemon trainers looking to challenge Holzstadt’s gym.~

The interior of the Lucid Spinda was a good deal warmer than outside, with the large fire pit in the center of the main room smoldering rather intensely. On the opposite end of the main room was a bar, and there were tables and mats spread out along the remaining three walls, save of course for where none could be placed: the four staircases leading up to the second floor, and the doorways that led to guest rooms. Heads turned as he entered, and save for the few that remained cocked to get a better look at the armored Scyther that stood next him, most turned back around. The Baron himself didn’t seem to be present, though a few of his men quite obviously were. A few were drunk, though the more serious minded kept vigil, no doubt waiting for adventurers to show themselves. It took little time for one to notice Vann.

“You there, boy. Come by order of the Baron, I presume?”

“That we have.”

“He’s adjourned to his room for the time being. Wait here and make yourself comfortable if it pleases you.”

“Aye.” Vann bowed slightly and made his way toward the bar. Now was as good a time as any to indulge in a bit of ale. He took one of the few remaining stools at the bar and pulled a silver Drake coin out of his pocket. One of the barmaids, a girl who looked to be around his own age gave him a smile.

“What can I get for you?”

“A pint of ale, if you please.” He flipped the coin onto the bar. She nodded and a few moments later returned with a flagon, taking the coin after she placed it down. Vann had only just raised it to his lips when the door to the Inn crashed open, and a loud voice with a broad, unmistakable accent drowned out every other sound in the common room.

“Oi! Is the Baron here? I heard ‘e’s got ‘imself a wee barbarian problem.” Standing there, clad in a suit of plate and mail, was a tall woman of fair complexion with the most startlingly red hair nearly anyone in the town, the Prince included, had ever seen. A broad smile was on her face as she withdrew the a weathered crinkled copy of the Baron’s letter from a pouch at her belt. “Well look no further, ‘cause Chara Mullane’s here tae split a few necks!”

~Arguably the fiercest member of the Band, Chara Mullane has been something of an enigma for historians. While her legends are certainly well preserved in the Albia Region, there is very little that was written about her until a century after her death. As such, much of the written records associated with her are unreliable at best. One can hardly believe the contemporary assertion that she wrestled a Salamence to the ground bare-handed, after all. What little was written about her in her time, at least that has been preserved, paints a picture of a loud and proud woman belonging to the nomadic tribes that wandered through Midlen, Kalos, and beyond.~

“She’s got a funny way of speaking…” Vann mused. Aloud of course. This, for good or ill, attracted the woman’s attention. In but a few strides she had crossed the space between them and stood, glaring, over the young man.

“Ye got a problem with the way I talk, do ye, laddie? Why I oughta bend ya over me knee and spank yer bottom like yer momma shoulda done!” She continued going on in similar bent, though her accent grew increasingly thick until it was all but impossible to understand what she was even saying. It might have been comical...were it not for the very obvious pair of Honedge at her belt busy glaring at the young prince. It took Vann a few moments to realize that he’d even spoken his thought aloud, though once he did he immediately set out to rectify the situation.

“My apologies, ma’am. I did not wish to offend you.” He pulled a recently vacated stool a bit closer to his own. “Allow me to introduce myself. Vann Löwenstein, fourth son of Archduke Karl Lowenstein of the House of Löwenstein. Care to join me? We’re here for the same purpose after all.” At some point during his explanation of his identity, Chara had stopped speaking. Whether because she’d actually decided to stop or simply run out of breath was...difficult to say, though she did seem to be in better humor.

“Ah, t’ain’t a problem laddie!” She chuckled, and gave the prince a heavy slap across the back… with her gauntleted hand. Another moment and she’d plopped down in one of the stools at the bar, which had been vacated by a local she’d frightened off during her tirade, and slapped a slightly tarnished silver drake in the counter. “Flagon o’ mead if ye plea- Ceallach, no!” She turned and practically bolted from the stool, having seen out of the corner of her eye that her dear friend, a Haxorus, was presently trying to fit his head through the doorway to the inn… with considerable success given the size of the crests on his jaw. Of course his partner was soon trying to push him back out. “Ye cannae be comin’ in here, lad! Ye’ll scare off the locals.”

“And I thought you’d be a problem, Siegrieche.” The Scyther was, at present rather calmly seated on the floor a good distance from the fire pit. He seemed entertained by his partners’ recent exchange, though he was eyeing the scene at the door warily. Hans remained dutifully perched upon Vann’s shoulder. “Miss, it might be more prudent to let him through the door if he can fit. There’s plenty of room in here.” Vann called over. That seemed to be all the Haxorus needed to hear, and with care taken to fit his crests through the door he simply pushed his way in, knocking his partner over in the process, and went to settle down next to the fire pit. Chara, bemused by this turn of events, stood back up, blew her hair out of her face, and walked back to her spot at the bar.

~The third to enter The Lucid Spinda was perhaps the most surprising member. Rupert Spruce was, by all accounts, not what anyone would expect for such a tale. Small, young, and quiet, especially when compared to the previous two adventurers, Rupert certainly stood out by virtue of not standing out. There was a special fire inside the boy, however, which would in time prove invaluable.

Rupert held Alonzo close to his chest as he approached the tavern. He had went with his father to a tavern a few times, but never without supervision, and never outside of his village. His eyes darted around the moment he stepped inside and he seemed to shrink as he attempted to make himself look even smaller than he already was. The light jingle of the Soothe Bells he had attached to his hair was the only indication of his presence.

There were a large group in the tavern already, and two individuals that stood out. One was a woman with the fierce demeanor of a warrior, and the other was a young man, though older than Rupert likely, who bore a hint of nobility about him.

The Haxorus was what really caught his attention, and his eyes widened. A rare sight, and even rarer to see one that wasn't rampaging. Rupert looked to his side as he felt Cinnamon crawl up his cloak to his shoulder. "Don't leave my sight." He said quietly to the little Electric type. It would be bad to lose the tiny Pokemon in this crowd.

During his observations, Rupert had been hovering around the entrance, not quite going into the building itself. That is, until his partner, Lilith, pushed him inside. He let out a slight squeak of surprise, which brought the soldier's attention to him. "Hey, boy, what are you doing here? This isn't a place for kids ya know."

"I-I...N-nevermind, I won't be any trouble, sir." Rupert squeezed his eyes shut and sighed in disappointment of himself. He had wanted to take the Lord's offer up. The thought of killing the bandits made his stomach clench in sadness and disgust, but he was hoping by accepting he could find some way to end this peacefully. It was quite the dangerous endeavor, and probably unwise for his first true adventure, but when he thought of what his sister would do, he knew his path was set.

He made his way, moving near the wall, to a table near the Haxorus and sat down. After softly ordering some milk, Rupert kept glancing over at the Haxorus which, after a while. seemed to notice Rupert's interest.

The Dragon made its way towards Rupert, who felt his heart pounding. He could tell it meant no ill-intent but it was still quite large... Nonetheless as the Pokemon leaned down, Rupert hesitantly raised a hand and patted it on the head. The Haxorus let out a strange coo-ing sound and nuzzled Rupert's hand, before licking his face. Rupert let out a giggle as he continued to pet the Haxorus.

Lilith sat right next to Rupert, and stared at the Haxorus with obvious suspicious. She said something, probably a warning, to which Rupert replied. "Don't worry Lilith, he won't hurt me, he's...gentle. Aren't you?" Rupert smiled at the massive Pokemon, who seemed quite happy with Rupert's assessment.

~The fourth to enter the tavern was a large, wall of a man.  Walking beside him was a monferno, with a stern look on his face, who seemed to have steam raising from its fur..  On his shoulder rested an Aipom, who was snoozing loudly into the mans ear, it's tail wrapped around under it's adventurer's arm.  He was quiet as he strode through the tavern...sizing up the others presumably.  

Conrad looked around the Lucid Spinda.  Only two people really stood out in the crowd.  A large women, clad in armor, and the man who sat next to her.  However, they were a bit too much for him to go and get cozy with right now...a bit too noisy for his tastes.  

Conrad's eyes widened when they met the sight of a large dragon pokemon, one that he had never laid eyes upon in the flesh.  It took him quite aback, but he regained his composure.  Surely the beast would prove a worth challenge, but there wasn't much that Conrad couldn't stop with his own two hands.  His nerves settled down almost immediately when he saw a small adventurer pet the large creature.  That site had almost surprised him more than the initial site of the creature.  Conrad smiled as he walked towards where the small adventurer sat, and took a seat as well.  

The sudden jolt woke the Aipom that cling to his arm.  Groggily, he hopped onto the table, almost losing his balance, and walked his way over to the other occupant at the table.  Hanz the Aipom started poking their shoulders, trying to acquire some attention from a source that wasn't his own adventurer...after all, Conrad was wise to all of his tricks as of now.  

"Chee-Chee-Chee!" Hanz exclaimed, covering his mouth while he laughed.  Conrad smiled as he saw that this was another person of interest.  Anybody that Hanz could get comfortable with instantaneously was surely quite the adventurer.  Feuer, the Monferno, sat to the left of Conrad, on the same bench.  His brothers antics being used on a person they hadn't even met was starting to make him steam more.  The fuming stopped when Conrad placed his hand atop his head, and started rubbing it.  With a silver coin raised in the air, Conrad cleared his throat to get the attention of one of the bar maids.  

"Mead..." he said coarsely.  The silver disappeared from his fingers, and transformed itself into a flagon of mead before him.  He took a swig before he started his conversation with this person.  "A small child like you...shouldn't be caught up in this mess."  He placed a crumbled letter onto the table, addressed from the baron himself.  He had now noticed that more pokemon were accompanying them.  A feminine looking creature, with a vicious protrusion sticking from its head, sat beside him at the table.  That thing made him quite uncomfortable, but if the pokemon were this adventurer's, then he had nothing to worry about.  "However...you seem to have quite the way with the pokemon don't you?  If you could tame that behemoth of a dragon, i'm sure you'll have no problems here!"  He placed his flagon slowly back onto the tabletop.  He was both worried and saddened that that might be the case.  He stuck out a hardened hand to them.  

"My name is Conrad...Conrad Weiz.  I look forward to working with you."  

~One of the older members, the fifth to walk through the doorway of the Lucid Spinda was a man wreathed in controversy. While praised throughout Midlen for his treatise on ethics and philosophy, as well as his translations of classical works, postmortem historians uncovered a grisly past. Formerly a high priest of Giratina, he had been steeped in sin and blood since birth. For a long period of time, his compositions were shunned, and his name blackened. However, after the Church of Arceus lost much of its former influence, his works were revisited, and later endorsed, many finding his position a refreshing change of pace. At the time however, his fame was in its early stages, though he was still recognizable by the Shedinja at his side and the Goomy at his feet.

Jeule entered the tavern with all the delicacy of a Gardevoir. His steps were slow but sure, and most that turned to look at him turned away just as quickly. Despite his frail appearance, he exuded a serene atmosphere that only the most contrary men sought to disturb, and of those few, none relished an encounter with the still specter beside him. To most Arceus-fearing men, there was a special dread reserved for ghost types, and Shedinja was no exception. Said to steal the soul of anybody who looked at its back, it was only the small cape tied around its neck keeping the careless from finding out the truth of that rumor.

A few gave him a respectful nod, recognizing the famed sage by his companion, among them a soldier who informed him of the Baron's absence, while others cooed over the Goomy at his feet. Said Pokémon quickly hid underneath its owners robes at that, causing many to chuckle. Jeule seemed not to notice, though an attentive observer might have noted he took more care in his steps than before.

Taking a spot at a table near a boy with a Mawile and a man with a pair of monkeys, Jeule quietly ordered some bread and water for himself and his Pokémon, though the Shedinja at his side never seemed to need sustenance. He got a strange look from the waitress for the request, but she nevertheless complied, shaking her head as she left. Ignoring her, he took out the letter he had received, reading through it once more, and musing at the direction his life had taken. He had taken this request not out of any real desire to do battle, nor out of lust for the wealth that would await him afterward. No, he was neutral on fighting, and he did not lack in funds. He had merely been passing this way, and had received a letter from a frantic recruiter.

And now, here he was. But at least this would prove to be interesting. When the waitress returned with the requested items, he thanked her and picked off a chunk of bread to feed to the Goomy peeking out from underneath his robes. That done, he turned to greet the pair nearby, inferring they were potential hires as well by their travel-worn clothes and the Pokémon accompanying them. The boy seemed a most unlikely recruit, but his ability to interact with strange Pokémon was impressive.

"Greetings, fellow travelers," he spoke just after the man introduced himself as Conrad to the boy. "This one is also a humble adventurer answering a call to arms. You may call this one by Jeule." He would have to greet that boy and woman by the bar later on as well, as they were undoubtedly here for the same reason.

Galiard was tucked away in one of the dark corners of the Lucid Spinda, nursing his flagon of ale with slight interest. He seemed very average when compared to the rest of the adventurers that had shown up with their Pokémon in tow behind them, but a trained eye could spot the subtle differences that revealed how experienced he truly was.

~Galiard Everend is perhaps the member of the Band about whom we know the most. Thanks to his noble heritage, there are a great many records of his early life and of the family from which he came. At the time of the formation of the band he had come less out of any desire for coin or glory, and more because he was chasing a rumor about someone who looked like his little brother. As his family and the Drachenmoores had been on good terms, he also sought out the Baron to ask his aid in determining the truth of what he had heard.~

He lowered his flagon to the table slowly, watching the newest addition to the bar out of the corner of his eye. The people of interest had split into two groups, seemingly: the rowdy and wild warrior woman and the stately noble made up one group, and not far off from them, a mysterious priest, a young boy petting a Haxorus, and a large and very muscular man formed the other. All of them had Pokémon with them, but some seemed more trained for a day on the farm than on a field of battle.

He briefly wondered if he should have brought Kieran and Crowley along with him. He had left both of his partners outside the edge of the city, where they would seem more natural, so as not to alarm anyone. It had become a bit of a habit in recent times, since Kieran had become much more intimidating, but the villagers here seemed to have no fear of even the massive Haxorus.

Shaking his head to clear away thoughts of things he couldn’t change, Galiard finished the last of his ale in a single go, and then quietly got to his feet and walked over to the bar. He was a very eye-catching figure when he really wanted to be, with a very worldly air about him that most could not claim, the kind of person that had seen the darkest and most dangerous corners that Midlen had to offer and survived to tell the story.

A barmaid looked up at him inquisitively when he approached. “Anything I can do for you?” She asked, obviously a little bit intimidated under his smoldering gaze.

“Just a drink.” Galiard answered gruffly, laying out the coin on the bar and taking a seat on the stool beside Vann. He looked over at the Prince, and he was reminded immediately of his younger brother, and a slightly protective urge overtook him. “Any reason someone like you’d be here? You don’t look like the sort to need the payment.”

0vg3I6Q.png

"Don't give me that look," Rafaela said, looking at the little ghost floating by her side. Today was not a day for a performance. Rafaela had considered this new course of action for the last couple of weeks, and ultimately decided to go for it. The Baron wanted barbarians dealt with, and was willing to pay handsomely for it. The idea sounded thrilling, new, and exceptionally rewarding. And who knew? Maybe whilst dealing with them, Rafaela could find some tricks to improve her act and set her career back on the right path. As such, she'd come to Holzstadt to find out more about this job. Her destination was the Lucid Spinda.

~Rafaela Reitz was among the last to arrive at the meeting place, and it is only recently that scholars were able to fully piece together who exactly she was. Recently uncovered records show that the Band’s most theatrically minded member was actually the only daughter of the Heilbronner family, not that she was ever recognized for it in her time. Indeed, her love of mixing horror and comedy either in performances or on the battlefield is what history remembered best about her, and it was on this first outing of the group that she would put the workings of her mark on the legend into action.~

"Of course I thought about the risk involved; that's what makes it so exciting, and it'll make the reward all the sweeter."

As she entered the establishment, Rafaela took a look around to gauge the others here, and see who else would be here to get that gold reward. Hopefully she could find more companions than competition here. She wasn't much of a fighter herself, or a thief for that matter. Unless she got lucky (unlikely with how her career was looking), she probably wouldn't be able to deal with the barbarian problem on her own. Luckily, there seemed to be a fair few people gathered up with the same goal as Rafaela, judging by the looks of them. Spook of course had joined her in the building, but Patch instead opted to remain outside. Rafaela didn't blame him.

Her visual scan of the place stopped with the large Pokemon in the Spinda, near the fire. That was something you didn't see every day! Quickly making her way toward the big guy, she saw there was also a smaller, younger person near it. Well then, it must have been harmless.

"That's amazing," she exclaimed, approaching the large Pokemon in question. "How did you even get in through the door, big guy?"

"A small child like you...shouldn't be caught up in this mess."

Rupert stared at the large man as he sat down and spoke to him. The boy wasn’t used to strangers coming up to him like that, especially none so large. Lilith instinctively took position to be directly between Rupert and the newcomer, while also keeping an eye on the Haxorus that was nudging Rupert, confused why he had stopped petting him.
Rupert managed nothing more than a soft half wheeze half whimper in response to the man, though it didn’t seem to bother him if he even notice.

However...you seem to have quite the way with the pokemon don't you?  If you could tame that behemoth of a dragon, i'm sure you'll have no problems here!"

Huh? Oh. “Well...he’s not...mine or...anything.” Rupert’s gaze shifted downward. Rupert didn’t notice the hand that was offered, even when the man introduced himself. Lilith nudged him, once, twice, but he didn’t respond still, continuing to awkwardly look everywhere else.
Lilith sighed and stuck out her hand instead, shaking the man’s hand and looking up at him with clear confidence. Rupert still hadn’t said anything so Lilith subtly nipped at his hand with her mouth-like protrusion. He jumped and looked at the two. “I’m...Rupert. Spruce.”

"Greetings, fellow travelers. This one is also a humble adventurer answering a call to arms. You may call this one by Jeule."

Yet another stranger? Rupert was feeling increasingly uncomfortable, however, they had a lot more of a relaxing presence. “Hello...sir?” The way they introduced themselves, Rupert couldn’t be quite sure what to say. Rupert was never one for small talk so he settled into silence again, adjusting Alonzo as he had just noticed the Lotad was sliding down his lap. That’s when he realized, Cinnamon was gone.

Before he could scan the floor for the mischievous Minun, a girl came up and started talking to the Haxorus. Rupert was able to examine her safely from the other side of the Pokemon. At first glance she looked frightening, but, upon further observation Rupert discovered she was dressed up and made up to look strange. Actually, now that he realized it, she was kinda pretty...Once the thought crossed his mind, Rupert realized he had been staring, which was rude, he didn't want to draw her attention and cause even more discomfort for him, and paranoia for Lilith, so her turned his attention to his search for Cinnamon. Knowing him, he could be up to anything in this place...

~The final member of the Band to arrive at the Lucid Spinda that day was the troubadour known as Alphonse Stern.  It is difficult to accurately place what acts and accomplishments belong to Alphonse, mostly due to the fact that historians can't even agree on whether or not he truly existed.  He's difficult to place in the world at large, even compared to his comrade Chara Mullane; prior to the discovery of his connection to the group, he was largely believed to be an amalgamation of various other traveling bards and minstrels from Midlen's history (and some historians maintain he is just that).  Additionally, he simply disappears one day from the records of history, further adding to the mystery.~

There was a brief cacophonous sound as a spinning white form slammed the door to the Lucid Spinda open as it whirled inside.  After a moment, the figure came to a stop, revealing itself to be a handsome man clad in all white, with snowy hair and fair skin to match.  Running a hand through his locks, he flashed a grin to the innkeep, and let out a brief but distinctive laugh.

"Virgil! Oh, it's so good to see you again, my friend!  How long has it been, six months?  Three years?  Far too long, either way.  But listen, as much as I'd love to catch up, I have some urgent business to attend to.  Official orders from a baron, you see."  He brought out the piece of parchment from his pocket, waving it in the air briefly.

~Author's Note: It is widely believed that Alphonse either received his summons by mistake, or stole it from someone else.~

"So, I best make my way on over to him, can't keep such an important man waiting.  Make sure to send a pint of the usual to my table, okay?  Thank you!"  Without allowing the innkeeper any sort of opportunity to speak up for himself, the man made his way over to the other side of the establishment.  Following him inside was a Chatot with a decidedly gruff expression, as well as a rather timid-looking Misdreavus.  An old battle-scarred Gallade entered as well, but stuck near the door, watching the interior warily.

The man took brief note of the Haxorus and the group gathered around it near the fire, chuckling a bit to himself as he let the comedy of it sink in, before approaching the young man and redheaded woman standing off to the side.  "I assume the two of you are brought here on the baron's orders as well?" he asked, sizing the two and their equipment up.  "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.  My name is Alphonse, Alphonse Stern."

• 2 weeks later...

"Ha! He likes ye, laddie!" Chara cried out from where she sat at the bar, raising the mostly full flagon of mead she'd been given in Rupert's direction. "An' don'tcha be worryin', Ceallach wouldn' 'urt a Joltik, unless o' course it shocked him first." While she returned to her drinking, and the company she had there at the bar, the aforementioned Haxorus just settled down there and rested his head in the boy's lap to continue enjoying the attention he was receiving. His tail idly swept back and forth across the floor, which lead to at least one Barmaid stumbling but not falling as she walked across it. When Rafaela decided to question him, Ceallach lifted his head up and mimicked the motion he had used to fit the axe-like crests on his face through the door.

"Bah, 'e just likes the attention..." the red-haired woman muttered before taking a swig from her flagon, and returning her attention to the Prince in the aftermath of the armored fellow's comment. "Well, I'm bettin' 'e's like me! Ain't in it fer the money as much as 'e's on fer the fight! 'Course, the money's good too." Another round of chuckling, another swig, and Chara was just about to speak again before she was approached by a man who had made quite a ruckus at the door. Not that she got the chance to answer him either, as the door leading to the upstairs portion of the inn opened and a well-dressed figure stepped out.

"All those here by invitation of His Lordship, Baron Heinrich von Drachenmoore, are hereby requested to join him in his quarters." Well, that was certainly quite the way for things to start out. Chara lifted her flagon, drained its contents, and set it back down on the bar top with a thud.

"Oi! Ceallach! Behave yerself." That elicited a groan from the Haxorus, whose partner strode over to join the man who'd made the announcement. After waiting a few moments for all those with invitations to gather, he led them up the flight of stairs to the Spinda's second floor and from there to the Baron's room.

The Baron's Room was the largest room in the Inn, and was truthfully an example of opulence laid bare for all to see. Aside from the general high quality of the furnishings, its most notable feature was visible through a door that had been left open for one reason or another: a private bath. Of course, the sound of a throat being cleared drew the group's attention away from that open door before it could linger for too long.

"Thank you for answering my summons," the Baron began, his crimson gaze passing over the group amassed before him. He would have been lying if he said he was impressed by the motley crew, but he would not be so rude as to say that aloud in the presence of a prince. "Allow me to properly introduce myself. I am Heinrich von Drachenmoore, lord of the Drachenmoore Baronie."

~There is little agreement in historic sources about the Drachenmoore Baron to whom the Band spoke. Most of the disagreement centers around his age, given that any records regarding the Baron's birth were lost some time ago. Exacerbating the problem is the huge variation of depictions in art, from tapestries showing him to be an old and hunchbacked man, to statues depicting him barely old enough to raise a sword. There is also modern day disagreement as to the name of the baron, though most scholars are in agreement that it was Heinrich.~

"Let me be frank with you, the situation is quite dire. Thanks to the Duke's campaign south into Kalos, a horde of Barbarians has descended upon our coast. I am told that they number close to a thousand strong, and apparently more are coming as word of their conquest spreads. Obviously I do not have the soldiers at my disposal to fight them off, else I would not have called for so many adventurers." He paused for a moment to let what he had said so far sink in, and also to consider what to say next. "I am also told that they have a number of their own adventurers among them, though I have not been given an accurate count. However, I can say for certain that they are led by one." He paused to turn back to his desk and retrieve a piece of parchment, which he unfurled and held up for the group to see.

On it was a sketch of a man's head. He was snarling and wild-faced, with his left eye milky and white and a scar across his mouth. His hair was a mess of black about his head, twisted and filled with debris like a Mightyena's coat after dashing through a forest in heavy rain. His neck, however, bore the most distinctive aspect of his appearance. The whole of it was tattooed in a pattern not entirely unlike fish scales, though they were much larger upon him. "Ragnar Serpent Tamer. I imagine you have some idea as to how he's earned that name, but I do not want to send you after him with just an idea. He has been seen riding a Gyarados along the coast and up the rivers of my holdings. I have already sent a small force of soldiers and one of my knights after him, and from the reports I have received the next town in the Barbarians' path is a village by the name of Alensburg. If you go there, you can likely catch them before they sack it. Now then... do the lot of you have any questions before you set out?"

“A-ah, um, thank you ma’am.” Rupert said softly, in response to the booming voice of the woman who was partnered with the Haxorus. He didn’t know how to respond to the words, so just focused on the Pokemon who now had his head in Rupert’s lap. He was shocked, if he was to be perfectly honest, not having expected such a well-behaved Dragon. Either he’s a rarity of the highest caliber, or that woman was.

Lilith made it clear she didn’t like what the Haxorus was doing, but settled for just glaring at the Dragon.
It wasn’t long before the man who had called for them to come here arrived, and brought them to a room upstairs. Rupert’s eyes widened as he looked around. He had never seen much in the ways of wealth and this was something shocking for him.

As the baron detailed the mission, Rupert’s heart grew more and more heavy. The way he talked about it, it was clear he wanted warriors. He wanted people that would be able to go out and kill the bandits. In his mind, there was to be no peace talks, no compromise. Only death. Rupert shook as he came to this realization. He couldn’t, no, wouldn’t, kill anyone, ever. There had to be another way, something he could do...
The baron put forth the offer to answer questions. Rupert wanted to speak up, to ask about any alternate methods, to find out if there was any chance for a peaceful resolution. But he couldn’t bring himself to speak. Not with so many around. Particularly not with such strong warriors, who likely would find his questions pathetic.

Rupert felt a small hand grasp his, and he looked down to see Lilith looking up at him in concern. That’s right, he had made this decision, despite the fact that many wanted him to avoid such danger. He couldn’t back away, he had to find a path to complete this quest his way. He nodded firmly, the Soothe Bells in his hair jingling slightly, and Lilith seemed to relax.

And then he heard noises downstairs. Dishes smashing, and a faint cry of “Who let this electric rodent in here!” Both he and Lilith shared a look, though Rupert’s was one of embarrassment and Lilith’s one of frustration. Cinnamon had found the kitchen. Lilith gave Rupert's hand a squeeze before heading downstairs, intent on teaching the Minun a lesson.

When Jeule entered the Baron's quarters, he seemed unaffected by the lavish furnishings of the room, but inside he was impressed. Although his father had been rather epicurean, he had spent most of his life sequestered away in monastic study, and then on the road, where such luxuries where sparse indeed.

"Thank you for answering my summons," the Baron began, and Jeule couldn't help but notice his startling crimson eyes, and the judgment within them. "Allow me to properly introduce myself. I am Heinrich von Drachenmoore, lord of the Drachenmoore Baronie." He then proceeded to explain the situation, of the Barbarians who plagued the coast, and of their leader, Ragnar Serpent Tamer, owner of a Gyarados. Gyarados were notorious for their wild nature, so being able to tame one was a feat in and of itself. This Ragnar sounded ferocious indeed.

And then they were directed to their destination. Alensburg, a town the hermit had visited before, though only briefly. "Now then... do the lot of you have any questions before you set out?"

Jeule smiled and said nothing. What would he have to ask? What they should do if they meet Ragnar? That was already answered in the poster. Or how best to go about killing him? Maybe any weaknesses the man possessed? Indeed, he had many things he could ask, but he was interested in seeing what the others would say first.

And then a clatter from downstairs. From the sounds of it, a mischievous Pokémon was causing chaos. Jeule clasped his hands together and chuckled. "Ah, Pokémon. Without them, life wouldn't be half as exciting as it is."

Galiard was nonplussed by the posh décor of the room. He had spent most of his childhood surrounded by the sort of luxury that was littered all around the room, and a lifetime ago he might have been jealous of all that the Baron had; as it stood now, he simply didn’t care. 

“Thank you for answering my summons.”  the Baron began after clearing his throat. His eyes raked across the band of mercenaries, and his disappointment was not very well masked. Galiard searched his face for any form of recognition, but it came as no surprise to the ranger when he found none. It had been many years since they had last spoken in person; ten, almost. Much had changed about him in that time.

“Allow me to properly introduce myself. I am Heinrich von Drachenmoore, lord of the Drachenmoore Baronie.” Galiard listened on in rapt attention to the explanation of how the situation had spiraled into what it was now, what they would have to do, and a grave warning about the leader of the enemy forces, Ragnar Serpent Tamer.

Galiard grimaced at the thought of combating a Gyarados. Twice in his travel he had encountered them, yet he had already deemed that twice was far too many times. He was not eager to confront the massive sea serpent or his master.

“Now then. . . Do the lot of you have any questions before you set out?”

Galiard gave everyone around him a moment to ask their questions. When nobody spoke up, he reached up to grasp at the edge of the hood that obscured his face. "I have just one, my Lord. Do you truly not recognize an old friend when you see one?” In one fluid movement he pulled his hood down and took a step toward the Baron. “Have I changed that much over the last ten years, Heinrich?”

0vg3I6Q.png

"All those here by invitation of His Lordship, Baron Heinrich von Drachenmoore, are hereby requested to join him in his quarters."

Oh, it was time to go see the Baron. "I'll come back around to you later," Rafaela said to the large dragon sitting around inside the building. Accompanied by the small Duskull floating by her side, Rafaela joined the others as they made their way to the Baron's room. The scenery in the room was about what Rafaela would expect. The room of nobility...such a place took the young performer back to even younger times. Spook for one seemed awestruck; this was his first time seeing such a place, after all. However, it wasn't very long in here at all before the Baron himself called out for everyone's attention.

"Thank you for answering my summons. Allow me to properly introduce myself. I am Heinrich von Drachenmoore, lord of the Drachenmoore Baronie."

So this was the Baron. Rafaela made a mental note to remember this man's face, as she did with all nobility she happened upon in her years as an entertainer.

"Let me be frank with you, the situation is quite dire. Thanks to the Duke's campaign south into Kalos, a horde of Barbarians has descended upon our coast. I am told that they number close to a thousand strong, and apparently more are coming as word of their conquest spreads. Obviously I do not have the soldiers at my disposal to fight them off, else I would not have called for so many adventurers. I am also told that they have a number of their own adventurers among them, though I have not been given an accurate count. However, I can say for certain that they are led by one."

The Baron then unfurled a piece of parchment and revealed the face of a rather unpleasant-looking man; one of those northern barbarians no doubt. Well, setting aside the obvious obvious part that he was leading the other barbarians.

"Ragnar Serpent Tamer. I imagine you have some idea as to how he's earned that name, but I do not want to send you after him with just an idea. He has been seen riding a Gyarados along the coast and up the rivers of my holdings. I have already sent a small force of soldiers and one of my knights after him, and from the reports I have received the next town in the Barbarians' path is a village by the name of Alensburg. If you go there, you can likely catch them before they sack it. Now then... do the lot of you have any questions before you set out?"

The only question that came to Rafaela's mind was regarding what to do in the event that Ragnar is encountered in the company of the Gyarados he apparently tamed. That wasn't easy. However, the question seemed fairly obvious, and so did its answer. He'd have to be dealt with.

Maybe, just maybe, Rafaela was biting off a bit more than she could chew with this.

Archived