Tokyo Ghoul

Kuroda Kaito

make sense of your smudging

every stroke (or rather every set of strokes) you make should have some kind of purpose. think what you're trying to accomplish.

easiest way to do that is to turn the strength of the smudge tool way up, i remember back in the day everyone was raving about 95% or some s***. soft smudging/low strength smudging doesn't really accomplish much as an effect. go google tagfreak smudge or some s***, i don't know where the cool kids hang out any more, just seeing what people accomplish with smudging makes you realize all the things you can easily do, if with a bit of practice

dont center your focals and lay off the gmap spam (i know its tough, i still havent quit. try downloading a biig gmap pack and try playing around with weird color palettes). kiu tho, ur keeping this section alive

edit:

http://www.deviantart.com/tag/tagfreak

check this out, look at some of the smudge tags and try to recreate some of the concepts 

make sense of your smudging

every stroke (or rather every set of strokes) you make should have some kind of purpose. think what you're trying to accomplish.

easiest way to do that is to turn the strength of the smudge tool way up, i remember back in the day everyone was raving about 95% or some s***. soft smudging/low strength smudging doesn't really accomplish much as an effect. go google tagfreak smudge or some s***, i don't know where the cool kids hang out any more, just seeing what people accomplish with smudging makes you realize all the things you can easily do, if with a bit of practice

dont center your focals and lay off the gmap spam (i know its tough, i still havent quit. try downloading a biig gmap pack and try playing around with weird color palettes). kiu tho, ur keeping this section alive

edit:

http://www.deviantart.com/tag/tagfreak

check this out, look at some of the smudge tags and try to recreate some of the concepts

Well I did feel really bad that I leave this place for a while. Well when I looked at my old stuffs that I made when I was active in this forum, I wanted to be back lol XD Well after seeing how "dead" this section is right now, Im trying to making it alive :D

Well I looked at the link you gave, I will try more of the smudging stuff. And it will be good to see this section back to life again

Dude you're inspiring me to take up smudging again, it's something I could never do

But yeah, in my experimentation, you really want some definition to your smudging. The harder brush strengths give you harder lines, which seems counter-intuitive, but makes the smudging stand out a little bit instead of just blending in entirely. By adding layers of various darkness you can sorta give it a little depth and definition. But what Madsen said really is quite important, smudging is going to complement your focal in some way, often in respect to blending or flow, and you just need to be aware of what kind of effect you want.

In regards to this piece I think the smudging works well around the neck area. You have a pretty seamless transition that just fades into the color, though in part because it's heavily gmapped. As for the smudging itself, it's a bit uniform in that it goes off in every direction and is almost a mirror image. That's more of an issue of the centered focal, but definitely practice with different shapes of smudging and don't be afraid to make it chaotic. IWarp is cool to like mess around with different shapes, but I wouldn't rely on it because you can't rely adjust it to suit your focal

Dude you're inspiring me to take up smudging again, it's something I could never do

Can I have this hanging somewhere on my wall ?! I didnt even think i'd be that inspirational lol XD

Anw back to the topic, I tried smudge tag once but laid off for a while. Thinking of practicing different styles of art on tag-ging tho. Yeah I did look at some of the pieces on DA that Madsen gave me, will try more in the future.

PS: I was hoping that I'd be participating in the next SOTW, if the next one will come out tho lol

Archived