[Finished]Gemini Gladiators!

Draconus297

Not too long ago, I created "Chthonian Storm Dragon", which took the effects of both Chthonian Emperor Dragon and Darkstorm Dragon, as well as the former's DEF & Attribute, and the latter's ATK and Level.

And then it hit me.

We could do that with lots of Gemini monsters.

So, for the smallest pot in the site's history (it only costs 5 Points to enter, and victory wins you the pot), any and all entrants will combine 2 Gemini monsters with exactly 1 thing in common, be it their Attribute, Level, Type, ATK, or DEF, and leave that alone: Your creation will have both their effects, and any points of difference will be alternated.

Dova has already expressed interest, and may join on as a judge or a contestant. Since entries will be the same in terms of format, these will be judged on flavor, playability, and potential interactions with existing cards.

Flavor (do these two Gemini monsters work once combined?): 25 maximum points

Playability (can someone actually expect to use your creation?): 15 maximum points

Interaction (does it do fun things with existing cards without being broken to hell?): 10 maximum points.

BEGIN!

Guest BGMCANN0N

Thank you for the civil tutorial... Made the oath to participate via a humble transaction.  I'll be sure to advertise this as well so we can get some fruitful competition up in here. :)

Donated the points. Here is my entry:

[spoiler=Red-Eyes Infernal Dragon]

[spoiler=Alternate Effect]SjWUe0U.jpg
(This card is always treated as an "Archfiend" monster)
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.
"This card is also treated as a DARK Monster. At the end of the Battle Phase, if damage calculation was performed involving this card while your opponent controls a monster(s): You can destroy all monsters your opponent controls with DEF lower than this card's ATK, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to this card's original ATK. You can only use this effect of 'Red Eyes Infernal Dragon' once per turn."

09k9lgn.jpg

(This card is always treated as an "Archfiend" monster)
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.
"This card is also treated as a DARK Monster. Once per turn: You can destroy all face-up monsters your opponent controls with DEF lower than this card's ATK. If damage calculation is performed involving this card, at the end of the Battle Phase: You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to this card's original ATK. You can only use this effect of "Red-Eyes Infernal Dragon" once per turn."

[spoiler=Design Notes]This card was a combination of the two more recent Geminis, "Red-Eyes Black Flare Dragon", and "Red-Eyes Archfiend of Lightning". I wasn't too certain if you needed an EXACT copy/paste of the effects on the same card, so I left everything relatively the same. However, under the "Alternate" entry section, I made another variant of my card with a custom effect based off a combination of the two. Wasn't sure which one was required. If the 2nd entry is allowed, then I will use that.

To answer your question, the designed monster needed to have the effects of both Gemini used, either as the Gemini effect, or as a standard Effect monster effect.

Personally, I'm wondering where you got the 2700 ATK on the alternate. Remember:

You must use 2 Gemini with one of the following things the same: Type, Attribute, ATK, DEF, or Level. All the others must be taken from one or the other.

For example, Chthonian Storm Dragon.

Both monsters are Dragons.

Chthonian Emperor Dragon is FIRE Attribute, has 1500 DEF, and can double-attack.

Darkstorm Dragon is Level 8, has 2700 ATK, and can nuke your opponent's backrow if you discard a S/T.

Chthonian Storm Dragon is all of these things.

You get it?

Guest BGMCANN0N

Can there be some added effects... You know for the lower ATK/DEF Gemini's for overalll survivability of the fusion cause I am thinking of one for Shadow Delver/ Dark Infinity who both share an abyssmal ATK of 1500?

Also, could we make one of the effects stronger than 1 of the Gemini's initial effect, but similar. Like Dark Infinity changes a monsters battle position, but can't flip it face down. And the fusion could flip the monster facedown.

It seems like the limitations are a bit stiff if we have to completely abide to it. As most of the underrated Gemini's are bit outdated in terms of effects, and lack things to defend themselves. But, if we have to I guess I will opt through the Gemini card pool further.

[spoiler=Entry]U9myzsL.png

This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. During your Main Phase, if this card attacked this turn: You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Gemini monster from your Graveyard. A Gemini monster Special Summoned by this effect is treated as an Effect Monster, and gains its effect.

Combined Monsters: Blazewing Butterfly + Grasschopper

Guest BGMCANN0N

Okay I am going to wing it then, and trust that maybe the limitations aren't as stringent as I am seeing them currently because I am going to incorporate some of the forgotten Gemini monsters. If this fails, I probably am just going to bail (or if I feel up to it I'll just make changes to conform to contest's standards) because people would only choose the stronger Gemini's anyhow which goes against my personal objective to make use of weaker things with an addition of playable charm, and it would seem the challenge dismisses way too much creative possibilities (though I get this contest is weighed more on flavour because of how restrictive it seems to be; people are still going to want those playability points; it isn't like those aren't there) Feel free to take this card apart:

[spoiler=Entry]

Euphotic Dragonray Knight

✪✪✪✪

Water/Warrior/Gemini

ATK: 1500 DEF:1000

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Monster it to have it become an Effect Monster with these effects.

• If this card attacks, during damage calculation: This card's original ATK becomes 2300 until the end of the Battle Phase; also, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase, and its battle position cannot be changed until the End Phase of your next turn. While this card is in Defense Position, its original DEF becomes 2300, and it cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

Gemini Monster Effects used in design:  Phantom Dragonray Bronto and Dawnbreak Gardna

[spoiler=Design Notes] As mentioned before I really wanted to use the forgotten Gemini's... Though the way I approached it (in order to up its playability and give him a more flavorful effect) may make him not qualified for the contest's rules. For the qualities I took from the Gemini monsters (Dawnbreak Gardna and Phantom Dragonray Bronto): I took on their shared ATK, Dawnbreak's Level and Type, Bronto's DEF and Attribute, and both of their effects on the stats becoming 2300 as well as Bronto's Goblin-esque effect. As for the additions to the effect that may not make this card qualified, I made it so the stats change upon what he does (flavor purpose rather than having an effect where he just simply becomes those stats), and I gave him some protection from common threats when he changes to Defense Position by Bronto's rather crippling effect. So my overall intent for the design was to make him a spear and shield based strategy.

Lastly, my touch on what he takes in terms of artistic design judging by his name (I wish I could make him artwork, but time is scarce on the challenge, and I am not going to use other people's art out of my own principle) is that he is suppose to represent Dawnbreak's relation to the sun, and Bronto's relation to the sea, hence "Euphotic", which means it pertains layer of the ocean where sunlight mostly covers. And also he takes on the theme of being Knight instead of just a Gardna because he adjusted to Bronto's effect of getting a high ATK.

[spoiler=References]http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Dawnbreak_Gardna

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Phantom_Dragonray_Bronto

Edits:

Updated it from being a Fusion to just a Gemini monster.

I, also, did a combo with Blazewing

[spoiler=Ancient Pyrewing]

Ancient Pyrewing

Level 4/ FIRE

Dinosaur/ Gemini/ Effect

@: Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 Gemini Monster; Special Summon 1 Gemini Monster from your Graveyard. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can Special Summon 1 monster from your opponent's Graveyard, and if you do, it is treated as a Gemini Monster.

1700 ATK/ 1500 DEF

[spoiler=Explanation on effs]

Alrighty so I decided to make some fun gemini support, combining together one of the best geminis and arguably one of the worst. The first effect is a re-tooled Blazewing effect, and the second is a boost to Skelesaurus. Together, they make a neat little thing to bug your opponent and build yourself up in the process. Yay!

Archived