Favourite anime weapons

Spinny

Hoo boy, here we go.

First off, I have had a thing for swords since forever, to the point where I made a point of learning fencing, medieval sword combat, and I'm thinking of taking up kendo once I've saved up the money for classes. I'm the closest thing to that tiny anime character wielding a sword twice as big as they are you're ever going to see: I'm just over five feet tall, and I can competently swing a six-foot claymore sword. Not for long, mind you, but with a weapon like that you very rarely need very many swings.

That said, there are a few swords that fit the bill.

Derffliger, Saito's talking sword from Familiar of Zero. Very simple single-bladed design, rather elegant in its way, and efficient at what it does. Plus, it talks, and has moments of both deep insight and hilarious commentary. I would have made a superior Gundalfr to Saito, and would have appreciated Derffliger a lot more.

Just about every sword used by main cast members of Mahou Sensei Negima. Setsuna's is a very elegant weapon, and I've always wanted to just go on a slicing spree with a katana. Asuna's is a single-edged zweihander, and it combines appearance (you cannot tell me that it does not look wickedly cool) with functionality (you might not be a nimble fighter, but you are going to cleave off limbs or bisect torsos just about every time- don't try overhead swings, though, because you WILL dislocate your shoulders), and Negi's sacrifices anime-style size for a design that is simultaneously cool and simplistic. Plus, anime really lacks good short swords.

Bardiche, Fate's weapon from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, especially in Zanber form. Black hilt, electric weapon edge, just . . . yes. Even more special attention goes to Riot Zanber form, which is dual-wielded single-edged lightning swords that fling magic. I mean . . . damn. All the cool points. Also, Signum's snake-sword. There's a reason Nanoha A's has the best opening in my mind.

Kamina's nameless, absurdly oversized katana. I'm surprised this pissing-contest-winning thing isn't discussed more. Like . . . it's comedic in how long it is, but no one mentions it, in series or out.

Lambent Light, Asuna's rapier from Sword Art Online. Many people prefer Elucidator or the Dragon sheet Sword, but no one points out the GLOWING BLUE RAPIER. That thing is straight-up cool, and I'd definitely use a sword like it if I could afford the thousand-dollar-plus price tag on a good rapier. Also in SAO, the discount purple lightsaber. Because lightsaber.

In the not-sword category:

Any Gundam, but Epyon especially. Not counting YGO/Pokémon/Digimon, which I watched because I was a kid that craved awesome, Gundam and Robotech were the first anime I watched, because my dad's taste in anime extends to mech anime and Ghost in the Shell. So, naturally, I watched that a considerable amount as a kid, and clung to the badass fighting robots in space. Epyon especially, because energy sword and future predictions.

Homura's buckler in PMMM. Time manipulation and an infinite storage capacity? That is just . . . too many uses. Too good, too good.

I would bring up Tokyo Ghoul, but I can't pick one in particular to use for combat. That, and the vast majority of the cast is extremely unlikable, and I tend to associate the quality of a weapon with the quality of its user . . .

I mentioned Nanoha above, and I would have to sin myself if I didn't mention Erio's naginata, or Hayate's broken-to-sheet Reinforce. Raising Heart, while cool, is a very unwieldy staff, and without the magic capacity is only above Caro's gloves in terms of combat ability. But hey: DIVINE BUSTER!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Archived