Are American schools not boy friendly anymore?

Arctic55

In primary school the favouritism our teachers showed to girls was so obvious that even 12-year-old me and my friends ended up referring to them as sexist which was quite the thing let me tell you. We used to be able to play football during breaks, that was watered down to only being allowed to use sponge balls instead of actual footballs, and then limited to only one class a day as opposed to every class (class meaning grade or whatever for you uncultured American swines) every day literally entirely because girls would stand in the middle of playing areas and inevitably get hit by the ball. So that was fucking terrible.

Though in secondary I didn't see anywhere near the same kind of thing from any of the teachers which was nice. Really I think my primary school just degenerated into utter shit so. The points she raises in the video are valid concerns, boys being expected to not be boisterous and punished when they are isn't healthy. Like obviously you can't have people cunting around in classrooms 24/7 but boys below the age of 10 are not suited to sitting still for 6 hours a day. Also the mention of break times being shortened, when I started primary school we had a half-hour break at 11 and then an hour-long one at 1 or so. By the time I finished they had been cut to 10-15 minutes and 30.

Obviously I'm not American though so I've no idea what's going on there, but this is my experience in some sort of relation to the point of the video.

Ehhhh bullshit.  I work in a school.  Girls are funking crazy.  They cause just as much trouble as boys.

That being said, I think there is a growing negative perception of behavior that is seen as traditionally masculine, which is bad.

More girls ARE going to college, but that doesn't necessarily make them any better for society.  An jabroni with a psychology degree is of far less use to society than an jabroni who hangs drywall for a living. 

I think the problem is that we still see girls as needing to be helped, whereas boys are expected to suck it up and deal with it.

Also, the video makes some good points, but "War on Boys?"  Come on.  It's no less obnoxious than the wars on women and Christmas.  Too sensationalist.

I'm kinda angry about the lack of brake time recently.  Also the lack of boy-friendly games like dodgeball.  Dodgeball, all time favorite game of boys and girls everywhere.  What's next, take away our swings too (all time favorite playground set for boys and girls)?  http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/oct/08/spokane-school-district-removing-swings-from/Oh wait!  They did!

Heck, at this rate, why not send the boys to a feminism school while we're at it?  They can't do anything fun or boyish anyways.

As far as I remember throughout my twelve or so years in the public school system in Hawai'i, teachers weren't sexist towards either gender, nor did they favor one gender over the other. (We did have tetherball in grade school, but I only recall boys going on it; probably were some girls but that was a decade ago, so I don't remember). Probably most of the girls went to the library or something.

That in mind though, I don't know if my grade school removed the tetherballs or whatnot at this point. Never had swings though.

Yeah, after-school dodgeball existed [or still does] (and was co-ed to an extent). There are girls that can take hits and throw hard balls just as much as some boys.

I will admit that a lot of my (male) classmates weren't great at staying in their seats all the time as we went into intermediate/high school. Maybe it's because of the district said school was in (kids are a bit rougher than the ones I got used to in elementary), but I can't say that's a factor. As Tenta mentioned, girls also do the same thing; sometimes even worse.

I don't know; probably my state (or least county) isn't as gender-biased as some of the schools up in the states, if at all.

----
We had two breaks every day up until high school (about 15-30 minutes, factoring in lunch); high school used to be 37 minutes after 2 classes, but reduced it to 32 (but that's so we could go home earlier).

I'm kinda angry about the lack of brake time recently. 

How much break time do you get now?

How much break time do you get now?

My school doesn't have breaks.  It's just, if you don't have class that period, then that is your break.  A lot of the people I know, and stories I've heard from people over the internet say that their break time has shrunk to where they just have time to get their stuff and get to the next class.

I was talking to some of the older generation (great grandparents-parents), and they had some very good points as to why the schools have become more unfriendly to boys, but for the life of me, I can't remember.  >:(

Edit: Oh, we do have a lunch break, but sometimes, classes cut into that time.

Holy sheet, America has stopped giving their kids break times!? I'm honestly astonished, even slightly surprised (since everything that happens in America is ridiculous bullshit, not much surprises me any more). At primary school (ages 4-7 for Americans) we got a 15 minute morning break, a lunch break of I think an hour, then a 10 or 15 minute (can't remember) afternoon break. Guess what, we still learned stuff. Breaks are just as important to kids as the lessons. As well as a lot of the games being fun and giving them good exercise, they are good social time as well. How do you become friends with people if you just sit in a room with them in a "zero tolerance" authoritarian environment for six hours a day before going home?

Onto the actual point at hand, yes girls are quite obviously favoured over boys in a classroom environment and it's hard to argue with a lot of what's said in the video, despite it being delivered very... Americanly... (yes I just made up a word). I got into trouble quite a lot at primary school. I wasn't a nasty kid by any means, I wast just naive, even more so than most young kids. My family were friends with one of the teachers at the school and we kept in touch after she left, partly because she lived just down the road from us. This teacher once said to my mum that she hated the zero tolerance attitude of the school, she said I was being punished for being a kid. I imagine that's all too common in America.

Someone should mention this problem to Trump, maybe he'll jabroni about it for an entire debate to raise awareness.

OT:

The only breaks I was aware of when I went to school was those in the Elementary (K->5) where recess was a thing. Recess was no longer a thing in 6th grade, and in 9-12 (High-School), we had a 30 minute break at the END of the day after all classes were finished before we could go home. With Friday's either being a game day, or a school assembly. Said 30 minute break could be skipped by Seniors (12th grade) if a school assembly wasn't going on, and could just go home.

For me though, I had a lot of free time as a Senior due to not having many classes and having like 2 Study Halls/day. And it was bullshit, because they wouldn't let me go home until the 30 minute break at the end, even if I didn't have any classes left for the day.

In my opinion, I don't think the problem is the favor of girls; the many changes in education and the ways we perceive the world are the problem. Not in a negative way (I wouldn't like to live in a society where the simplest childish mistake would be punished severely), but more in what we should pay attention to.

To me, all this Favor For Girls is very new. I couldn't imagine such thing could be a problem. However, limiting the violent games and restricting many "boyish" actions are of no surprise.

(i) We've become way too effeminate, which is bad.

(ii) The school books are a lot "friendlier" than the older ones which 1) makes reading more fun but, on the other hand, 2) makes the books less appealing to respect (at least from my perspective). 

(iii) Many teachers are parents too, so how do they feel about the situation? Either they are very ignorant or the problem lies elsewhere and not merely on the educational system.

(iv) Girls, by default, have been brainwashed and are driven into expensive and/or feminist-centered actions.

Maybe the problem is not one, but two. First and foremost, the brainwashing we've all received in general. Secondly, the inability of men to harm the women because we've been respecting them as human beings a lot more like necessary. More or less like when you love your dog but don't restrain it at all.

I'm currently in HS, and we have this thing called a block schedule. on A days, we go to all our classes, with a 15 minute break after 2nd and a 40ish minute break after 4th. On O/ E days, we go to periods 1/2, 15 min break, 3/4, 35 min lunch, 5/6, go home. If you have a free 5/6, you get to go home early on O/ E days, even A Days if 6. I've had this schedule since 6th grade, and it's worked out fine.

On the topic of gender bias in schools, my own school doesn't have one (I think), but I do notice that there are more male teachers at my school. 

Also, so @Endy why is being effeminate bad, again?

I'm currently in HS, and we have this thing called a block schedule. on A days, we go to all our classes, with a 15 minute break after 2nd and a 40ish minute break after 4th. On O/ E days, we go to periods 1/2, 15 min break, 3/4, 35 min lunch, 5/6, go home. If you have a free 5/6, you get to go home early on O/ E days, even A Days if 6. I've had this schedule since 6th grade, and it's worked out fine.

[...]

Also, so @Endy why is being effeminate bad, again?

Ι can't remember what the break times were like in Junior and Elementary School, but in HS there was a 10-minute break between every lesson. Just enough to relax a bit and leave the classroom, but no complaints.

I clearly said that being way too effeminate is bad, not being such in general. If we're cool with everything and everyone, there is a problem. A problem occurs, we don't do a thing or we're slow to react. A danger appears, we pay little to no attention. We're hit or hurt very little but we cry or mention it with every chance (especially girls). Oh, as for girls: Hitting a girl is not acceptable, but a girl hitting a boy is ok.  -_-

Prager University is so consistently bullshit I don't know why anyone watches it anymore.

Yeah to be fair, I checked out another couple of their videos after watching this one and there was some classical art elitist snob trying to make a sweeping argument that classical art is better than modern art objectively. There was another that was just a load of dumbed-down political rhetoric.

The main idea of this video still raises an interesting point though, but I think it's a symptom of something else, rather than a problem in itself.

Can't exactly call it a war on boys, that's far too sensational, but from my time in school (a few years back, so i can't speak too much for it now) i have to say she's not too far off the mark. guys, for the most part really do learn differently than girls, and without an outlet to get some energy out, it's hard as hell to focus in class. Archery, dogeball, football, hockey, all of the sports that encouraged aggressive mannerisms were neutered big time, and by the time i left school, the only aggressive sports we had left were basketball, and touch football.

i'm not saying it's a bad thing to tone down aggressiveness a bit, but modern schools really do seem to discourage the things that make boys boys. a******s are necessary, whether you agree with them or not, they help put forth ideas that can make people uncomfortable, and that in turn can help you grow as a person. if you can't handle a basic a******, then you're just too soft imo

I kinda agree with the lady.

...What a bunch of crybabies.

Being male (not to mention Cis white het) pretty much means "I'm gonna win at life." This entire video is blasphemous.

Not sure how they managed to get some nymphomaniac who encourages patriarchy to speak in this video (probably since they gave her some), but there's a very good reason why girls are doing better: Because they're better in general.

You can immediately assume that a girl will be better than a boy because she has to go through more than boys do. Additionally, she has all the encouragement of feminism and a great reason because of male dominance. Boys are lazy and think sports accomplish everything.

Saying that schools--or anything--is not "boy friendly" is literally the weakest s*** you can ever say.

You know what's not "Girl friendly?" The entirety of society.

Damn whiny-ass patriots. Sorry your beautiful breadwinners are failing at life. Rather than handicapping them, why not make them do better?

And considering this is coming from a gay dude, you know I'm unbiased. i compare this to PePe support.

It's just so humorous the double standard here

........i have a feeling no one will like me after this

Being male (not to mention Cis white het) pretty much means "I'm gonna win at life." This entire video is blasphemous.

Not sure how they managed to get some nymphomaniac who encourages patriarchy to speak in this video (probably since they gave her some), but there's a very good reason why girls are doing better: Because they're better in general.

You can immediately assume that a girl will be better than a boy because she has to go through more than boys do. Additionally, she has all the encouragement of feminism and a great reason because of male dominance. Boys are lazy and think sports accomplish everything.

Saying that schools--or anything--is not "boy friendly" is literally the weakest s*** you can ever say.

Damn whiny-ass patriots. Sorry your beautiful breadwinners are failing at life. Rather than handicapping them, why not make them do better?

And considering this is coming from a gay dude, you know I'm unbiased. i compare this to PePe support.

Well I can confirm that at least I'm somewhat disgusted by you now. So that's fun. Your views are entirely twisted and generalizing and sexist, and it just baffles me if you're not trolling.

You're literally writing an example of what gives feminism a bad reputation. You know how far back these kind of thoughts sets feminism?

It is the feminists who talk like this (above comment) that self-defeats the whole feminist movement by shooting possible supporters in the back.  This is the kind of thing that keeps me from supporting anything related to feminists, because every time I talk to them in person, I end up wanting to beat them into a pulp for their lack of respect of other people, at least the very vocal ones.  Nothing wrong with the feminist movement in principle, but the way feminists seem to approach it is very appalling.  [Note: I did not target this at the person who wrote the quote, but rather a faction of feminists]

That said, I have no gripe with you Toadtotter, you have the right to your own views.  But please note that your comment really ticked me off.  Please be more respectful in future comments.

Well I can confirm that at least I'm somewhat disgusted by you now. So that's fun. Your views are entirely twisted and generalizing and sexist, and it just baffles me if you're not trolling.

You're literally writing an example of what gives feminism a bad reputation. You know how far back these kind of thoughts sets feminism?

Ok but they're being extreme crybabies. They're saying that boys need to be """"accepted for being boys"""" while girls are forced to conform to so many social standards (what they wear, how they look, how they eat, etc.) that boys don't even realize. 

And of course you're a dude too. Boys just think everything can be simple and emotionless and...sports. 

It's like I just got a malignant tumor from watching this. "Waaaah, I'm a big boy and I still can't get my act together, boo-hoo, girls get special treatment cause they do better work than all of us!"

http://www.returnofkings.com/58237/the-origins-of-neomasculinity

READ THIS sheet

http://www.returnofkings.com/72849/5-ways-to-start-fighting-back-against-the-onslaught-of-liberalism

READ

http://www.returnofkings.com/66615/wrestling-the-most-masculine-sport

THIS

http://www.aauw.org/research/the-simple-truth-about-the-gender-pay-gap/

sheet

http://www.iwpr.org/initiatives/pay-equity-and-discrimination http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2015/10/20/the-gender-pay-gap-widens-as-mens-earnings-grow-twice-as-fast-as-womens/ https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/equal_pay_issue_brief_final.pdf

JESUS CHRIST

It's about time the tables turn. Boys can sit in their seats and listen as far as I care. A hundred years of "Make me a sammich" and the moment we start making progress this is the kind of sheet they get. 

It is the feminists who talk like this (above comment) that self-defeats the whole feminist movement by shooting possible supporters in the back.  This is the kind of thing that keeps me from supporting anything related to feminists, because every time I talk to them in person, I end up wanting to beat them into a pulp for their lack of respect of other people, at least the very vocal ones.  Nothing wrong with the feminist movement in principle, but the way feminists seem to approach it is very appalling.  [Note: I did not target this at the person who wrote the quote, but rather a faction of feminists]

That said, I have no gripe with you Toadtotter, you have the right to your own views.  But please note that your comment really ticked me off.  Please be more respectful in future comments.

at least people are listening to me now

waaaah being an a****** (read: loud and disrespectful) in the classroom is no longer acceptable

waaaaaaaaah

turn them into readers (which should've already been done anyways)

waaaaah

this video is a crock of s*** lol, it's raising boys to be a******s that's the problem

Bless

Anyone who knows almost anything about me can confirm this is untrue. Anyway I have nothing more to say it's clear you won't be reasonable with blatant generalizations like this.

Well said.

Could people have a civil discussion? Cos, uh, it's kinda getting heated for no good reason. Less hyperbole from all sides, thanks.

Well said.

Archived