[Finished]Dova's Competitions #3: Spirit Support [Finished]

Dova

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BGMCANN0N

Well, I got third... tied along with other peeps. Kinda confused what struck me to a 20/30 in terms of balance. I don't think it was made clear to me. Anywho, great competition Dova, and thanks for your review Egmodeus!

Yeah this is probably going to be 1 of those "what the hell, Egmoedeus!?" moments. As mentioned before, I felt like it would be subject to problems pertaining to early game things if you don't get Nikitama, or another Spirit monster because of Spirits propensity to return to the hand. And I may have kind of wanted it to be used on a Hidden Armory used on your turn, because you know Spirits wouldn't like the missed opportunities of a Normal Summon. But, perhaps I've may have made outweighed these things.

Remember: if you feel you should earn more... You can always challenge how we (or me or Dova) judged on certain things. Within the bounds of good and sound reasoning , of course.

GG. I can't create card at all. Kill me plz.

-Shoots self in head-

Friend, you're one improvement closer to success. There are lessons in everything. Hang in there! :)

[spoiler=Chivalry - Sanbo-Kajin]

Balance/Usability- 24/30 Well.. This guys scale is really good and his Pendulum effect is a pretty good fit which gives him the option to for players to make either a hybrid Pendulum/Spirit Deck that focuses on getting out the Spirit big guns being Hino-Kagu-Tsuchi and Yamata Dragon with less effort, or a pure Spirit build that can uses some of the board-clearing Spirits with no tributes. It is also useful that you can retain the field presence of things when you want to. His monster effect isn't very strong persay (kinda wish he had a little more there) , but I guess it is kind of nifty that you can recycle him from Extra Deck to replenish potential lost resources. But, overall his Pendulum effect speaks with great depths of versatility. Issues in balance? None that I can think of.

Creativity/Flavor- 14/15 As cool as his art is, he kind of breaks away from the feel of subtlety I am more familiar with in Spirits. But, his effects/typing/stats are probably the thing that strikes me the hardest here.. Spirit/Pendulum combination is every unique, and he is somewhat interchangeable as either Monster or a Scale due to his effect.

OCG - 5/5 High five brother! Give me some! *forced fives*

[spoiler=Totals]

1. Chivalry - 43
  2. Fluffyfish - 42
  3. XOXO (not really) - 41
  4. Tythe - 40
  5. ɒllɘɿɘbniƆ and Trebuchet MS  - 39
  6. YugsterMajor - 38
  7. Zanda Panda - 37
  8. Kitty w/ Bow- 34
  9. Enguin - 30
  10. Yuuji Kazami - 28
  11. Striker - 29

I'm thrilled to have gotten first place--

And I know what you mean by the subtlety of the artwork; I tried to use GIMP to change its background to Spirit World, but I ended up getting impatient.

And as for the critique on the lack of a Monster Effect, I was considering using some buff, but I thought it would be too OP with a strong Pendulum Effect already.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this contest and I had a blast. Thanks for the wonderful analyses~

Archived