Cloud Strife, Legend of Fantasy

Yuuji Kazami

Taking into consideration that Cloud becomes a 5000 beater when he has no Xyz Materials left, that part is not sitting well with me at this point, even if it is still vulnerable to non-destructive removal (and well, general removal by that point).

The materials are specific, yes, but even with the cuts, stuff like 'tellars can still go into this when they want to (as can stuff like HEROs and others). I would remove the last effect because by then, he literally becomes a walking beatstick that destroys everything (especially with CoTH still existing).

Having destruction protection (with detaches) is fine, but ATK may be on the high side otherwise.

I like the attack gain. Due to halving battle damage, being a beatstick suits him. It remedies Towers and Towers Jr. (Dark destroyer), since he doesn't care about destruction, which is usually Kozmo's answer for removal.

He's vulnerable to Castel, Compulsory, Dimensional Prison, Storming Mirror Force, Ignister, Silent Honor ARK, Waboku, Ragnazero, and even Magic Cylinder (since the battle damage it deals to your opponent is halved, not effect damage). It almost seems underpowered. 

And you can't even summon it outside of warrior decks (which are kind of relevant, but not really because pepe ruins everything)

Taking into consideration that Cloud becomes a 5000 beater when he has no Xyz Materials left, that part is not sitting well with me at this point, even if it is still vulnerable to non-destructive removal (and well, general removal by that point).

The materials are specific, yes, but even with the cuts, stuff like 'tellars can still go into this when they want to (as can stuff like HEROs and others). I would remove the last effect because by then, he literally becomes a walking beatstick that destroys everything (especially with CoTH still existing).

Having destruction protection (with detaches) is fine, but ATK may be on the high side otherwise.

I guess thinking of the copies of solemn strike is what propelled me to give it a 2500 ATK. Compulsory is still at 1, although nobody really uses it anymore. If Qliphorts were still in their prime and Yosenju were used more, then Cloud would be much easier to deal with. Maybe dropping its ATK to 2000 would make it easier to deal with, or I'll change its text so it's doubling effect only applies to it when it is Xyz Summoned, not another Special Summon like Call of the Haunted.

Of course, there's also the new Mirror Forces to consider about (Thanks Toadtotter). Storming, Rippling, and Quaking pretty much counters Cloud. Quaking is the most commonly used out of the three, and I've seen it especially in Cyber Dragon decks. Silent Honor Ark and Castel are also commonly used in Pepe. BLS, banishing effects also would stop Cloud in his tracks. 

I like the attack gain. Due to halving battle damage, being a beatstick suits him. It remedies Towers and Towers Jr. (Dark destroyer), since he doesn't care about destruction, which is usually Kozmo's answer for removal.

He's vulnerable to Castel, Compulsory, Dimensional Prison, Storming Mirror Force, Ignister, Silent Honor ARK, Waboku, Ragnazero, and even Magic Cylinder (since the battle damage it deals to your opponent is halved, not effect damage). It almost seems underpowered. 

And you can't even summon it outside of warrior decks (which are kind of relevant, but not really because pepe ruins everything)

Yeah, I just thought any 2 Lvl 4 monsters would make it even more ridiculous. Warrior requirements forces a deck that features Goblindbergh and the Heroic Challengers, but it can still be quite helpful for Lightsworn decks that focus on Minerva. Thanks for reminding me about the Mirror Forces. I had forgotten about that. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing that comes to mind to use as comparison to this card is either Heroic Champion Excalibur, or Zubaba General. So, let's see...

Cloud VS Excalibur

On Cloud's side, he only has to use 1 Xyz Material, and he can use it to prevent himself from being destroyed. On the downside, he can't use it freely, and if you want to trigger it yourself with Cloud, then you basically have to suicide it into an opponent's monster, take the damage, but then gain the double ATK boost, while Excalibur can trigger it whenever, and Excalibur doesn't end up with dealing half damage. But that's where the differences end, and the both are similar but have different uses and combos.

Cloud VS General

General has the advantages over Cloud by being much more splashable and the potential to reach close to the same amount of ATK as Cloud can, at the cost of a card in the hand, but doesn't suffer from reduced damage. In return, Cloud can protect himself and his ATK boost is more reliable.

So, in general, I'd say you've got a pretty balanced card considering what it's competing with. It's got both good bits and bad bits, it hits that perfect sweet-spot in the competition, I'd say. It's useful and strong without being stronger than the rest.

Archived