Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree the thread should have been made until after the direct, but at the same time, locking this to unlock it in 10 hours seems weird. Especially since I might not be on and the thread might not get unlocked until much later. So I'm going to leave this open and tell everyone to not post in it until after the direct. In the mean time, speculation can be had in the OR/AS thread.

Why not just post here and then lock/delete the thread if it turns out not to be real? Dude went out of his way to make a thread, might as well get some use out of it.

I got a feeling it's pretty legit. It is more or less about time for a new gen, if you ask me. Although the rumors saying it's not quite 7th gen but instead 6.5th gen sounds pretty interesting too.

Why not just post here and then lock/delete the thread if it turns out not to be real? Dude went out of his way to make a thread, might as well get some use out of it.

I got a feeling it's pretty legit. It is more or less about time for a new gen, if you ask me. Although the rumors saying it's not quite 7th gen but instead 6.5th gen sounds pretty interesting too.

The games are real. The trademark 100% exists. I personally would have preferred the OR/AS thread handle all the "what is this going to be" and this start with discussion of the direct and what that could mean then go into long shot speculation. That could certainly be the wrong approach though.

If we look at the gen time line we could easily have another year before 7. I'll focus on the Japanese timeline and include English in parentheses.

Gen 1: 1363 (748)

Gen 2: 1096 (885)

Gen 3: 1407 (1495)

Gen 4: 1451 (1412)

Gen 5: 1120 (953)

Gen 6: ????

Assuming Gen 7 comes out on the game day this year it would be 1096. Assuming it comes out on the same day next year it would be 1461. Those numbers fall in line with the past release dates. The reason it might feel like its time for the next gen is because the English timeline is SUPER compressed compared to Japanese for most of Pokemon's lifespan. If it came out later this year it would be the 3rd longest Gen in the US, but tied for shortest in Japan.

Sorry if this thread was premature.  I don't have a post/follow the OR/AS thread, so I didn't know that speculation on these was in that thread.  I'd actually only just found out about the trademarks from my bro and didn't see a thread on this made already.

In any case, and regardless of any and all information we get about these games, I have a definite preference of Moon over Sun if only because I'm a night person over a day person.

The games are real. The trademark 100% exists. I personally would have preferred the OR/AS thread handle all the "what is this going to be" and this start with discussion of the direct and what that could mean then go into long shot speculation. That could certainly be the wrong approach though.

If we look at the gen time line we could easily have another year before 7. I'll focus on the Japanese timeline and include English in parentheses.

Gen 1: 1363 (748)

Gen 2: 1096 (885)

Gen 3: 1407 (1495)

Gen 4: 1451 (1412)

Gen 5: 1120 (953)

Gen 6: ????

Assuming Gen 7 comes out on the game day this year it would be 1096. Assuming it comes out on the same day next year it would be 1461. Those numbers fall in line with the past release dates. The reason it might feel like its time for the next gen is because the English timeline is SUPER compressed compared to Japanese for most of Pokemon's lifespan. If it came out later this year it would be the 3rd longest Gen in the US, but tied for shortest in Japan.

Okay, it might just be the fact I already have a headache, but...

WHAT DO THOSE NUMBERS MEAN?!

I can't make heads or tails of those numbers. It doesn't match up with month, day, or year, so I'm not sure how it works in the context of "timeline".

I can't make heads or tails of those numbers. It doesn't match up with month, day, or year, so I'm not sure how it works in the context of "timeline".

It's the number of days between the release of the first games in that generation and the release of the first games in the next. That is, how many days each generation lasted before the next.

Sorry if this thread was premature.  I don't have a post/follow the OR/AS thread, so I didn't know that speculation on these was in that thread.  I'd actually only just found out about the trademarks from my bro and didn't see a thread on this made already.

In any case, and regardless of any and all information we get about these games, I have a definite preference of Moon over Sun if only because I'm a night person over a day person.

Whats done is done. Its fine. Its not like having the thread is a BAD thing. I just would have preferred holding off until we had more concrete stuff to talk about.

I'm referring to the overall length of a generation. IE: Gen 1 lasted 1363 days, Gen 2 1096, etc. Of the 5 Gens, 2 were 3 years with the other 3 being close to 4. As such, if we didn't start a new Gen this year it wouldn't be that odd given that the average length of a gen is 1287 days (about 3.5 years). I included the US lengths because when I was looking at the numbers I realized it would make sense for people to feel like we should be starting a new Gen soon since the Gens outside of Japan have tended to be much shorter.

I'm going to stand by the fact that these will be the "Johto" for Kalos.

Kalos is a "Re-Gen 1", with making a new canon for Mega Evolution/etc. to exist, and has many throwbacks to Gen 1.  Given the lck of a third version and the game being on the same hardware as the gen before it, Gen 7 is probably "Re-Gen 2".

I'm not sure, but they had a quick snippet of some people doing a model of a bird pokemon.

Looked too long and thin to be any I know.

fQBAEYG.png

Dunno about long and thin but yeah, I don't recognize it either. It's similar to a Torchic but in a later shot it's zoomed in and colored and you see it's quite different in color scheme.

i hope at least one new legendary is based off Quetzalcoatl. also, Lunatone and Solrock are both basic pokemon, they need evolutions, not mega evolutions imo. I'm hoping they do something similar to the regi series with them as well, where you need them to unlock a cavern or something.

I'm expecting if anything this to be in the region bordering Kalos, (Whom that historical war occured), which means it's probably German, Spanish or British based to Kalos's France. For similar reasons to Black that is about this being a gen 2 rehash to Kalos's gen one. 

Just so long as they don't play things as safe and as dull as they did for Kalos, I'll be satisfied. 

I'm expecting if anything this to be in the region bordering Kalos, (Whom that historical war occured), which means it's probably German, Spanish or British based to Kalos's France. For similar reasons to Black that is about this being a gen 2 rehash to Kalos's gen one. 

Just so long as they don't play things as safe and as dull as they did for Kalos, I'll be satisfied. 

Wasn't Kalos like only one part of France geographically?

oh boy if you guys think this is kalos' johto will it take place in germany since kalos is france?

Ja, ich will diese Videospiele, wahrscheinlich Sonne. Ich würde allerdings beide bekommen. 

alternatively they go for spain, or england, or italy, or...

... wait, hold the phone. If the glitches in the Gen 1 games are still intact in the eShop versions, and the Pokemon from the eShop Versions can be transferred over to Sun and Moon...

... oh gawd, someone's gonna attempt to transfer MissingNo./ 'M' Block.

Unless, of course, there are countermeasures put in place to prevent this (which, hopefully, there will be)

Singapore here we come?

12745412_961155197299897_342186723669454

Dunno about long and thin but yeah, I don't recognize it either. It's similar to a Torchic but in a later shot it's zoomed in and colored and you see it's quite different in color scheme.

The color is just the model being highlighted. They're using Maya.

Anyway here's all the images worth noting:

12734162_10153864714893592_319456718756412524266_10153864714998592_722041962888312049494_10153864715003592_364746227067112799172_10153864715163592_458056878887810660105_10153864715228592_323780407150612803164_10153864715178592_500163633118012745638_10153864715278592_273969965748912799163_10153864715313592_2518930181319

Except for the crest on its head, it looks a lot like Fletchling. Rounded head shape, long dark beak, notched wings...

...in any case I'd like to think of Sun/Moon's relationship to X/Y would be similar to GSC to RBY, but there are several points against it, the primary one being it's an odd-generation game. Odd-generations have notably stood alone and brought in huge numbers of pokemon while even-numbered ones are more supplementary. In any case, even if they didn't necessarily follow that trend, they probably will WANT to make a large number of new pokemon for the next gen anyway considering the raw number of new pokemon in X/Y was a bit lacklustre.

Archived