u1I6r4m.jpg

If you cannot see the card lore on your device, I have printed it below.

"Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Link" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 1000 ATK and DEF. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle, destroy this card.When the equipped monster destroys a monster by battle, inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent.

Type(s): Fairy/Union.

ATK/DEF: 2800/2200

Level: 7

Image credit: Zelda Wikia.(URL to the post containing image: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fi_(Hyrule_Warriors).png)

Dowsing card that comes with Fi:

62SRRTk.jpg

Card lore:
"While you control "Fi": draw 2 cards, then banish 2 cards from your hand."

Image Credit: Zelda Wiki(URL:http://zeldawiki.org/File:Dowsing_All_targets_aquired.png)

Z494UeJ.jpg

Card lore:
If you control a face-up "Lana"; During your Battle Phase, you can activate 1 "Summoning Tome". "Summoning Tome can only be activated by this effect.

Type(s): Warrior/Effect

ATK/DEF: 1500/1900

Level: 4

(I am posting this from mobile, I will insert image credit as soon as I get on my computer this afternoon, don't worry:)

iw8Xn3T.jpg

Card lore:
If you control a face-up "Link"; During your main phase, you can use 1 "Sealing Tome". "Sealing Tome" can only be activated by this effect.

Type(s): Spellcaster/Effect

ATK/DEF: 1950/1500

Level: 6

(Once again, don't have the link to image on tablet, will post it ASAP in the afternoon)

The tome cards are currently WIP, will post them hopefully around Wednesday, if I can.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Images used depict work from a copyrighted video game or otherwise copyrighted material. The copyright for them is most likely owned by either Nintendo and/or its affiliates or the person or organization that developed the concepts. It is believed that their use here constitutes fair use, given that:

They are being used in a non-commercial setting, and therefore is not being used to generate profit in this context
Their use here does not significantly impede the right of the copyright holder to sell the copyrighted material
They are being used in a largely unaltered state, where any editing has been done purely for cosmetic/display purposes
The original content of the images has not been modified, and they are not derivative works

Well, by being Level 7 and there being no way to easily Special Summon it (aside from things like Call of the Haunted), Fi looks like a monster you should keep on the field if you manage to Summon it rather than equipping it to Link. A boost of 500 ATK and DEF isn't really that much. In fact, for a card that isn't that easy to get out, I don't think there is a "correct" amount of ATK and DEF for Fi to give to Link to make it worth the effort and still not be a ridiculous boost to Link's ATK. Try focusing more on extra effects such as protection and perhaps some sort of advantage when the equipped Link destroys a monster by battle? You might be able to still let Fi give Link a bit more ATK, but I don't know anything about this Link card you're mentioning. I also don't understand what you mean by "you may use an extra Dowsing Card." I don't see anything that restricts Dowsing in a way that Fi being equipped the Link can remove. The only restriction that comes to mind is the "You can only run up to 3 cards of a same name in your Deck" rule, which doesn't make sense since you'll be switching between being able to run 4 Dowsing and not being able to run 4 Dowsing mid-Duel (and so you can't really run that 4th Dowsing even if Fi is equipped to Link).

As for Dowsing, it's a stronger form of Upstart Goblin in virtually every way. You get 2 cards, which initially makes it more akin to the banned Pot of Greed, but you have to lose one of them for 3 turns. I suppose that after those 3 turns it goes back to your hand and not into the Deck or something. In the top levels of Yugioh, those 3 turns can be too slow for you to get your card back unless you play this in the first turn or something. However, in the lower power levels, you're more likely to get that second card, which means that they do get Pot of Greed. But back to the faster power level for a minute, it outclasses Upstart Goblin by not giving your opponent a 1000 Life Point boost in return for playing it (which can make a difference), and then it outclasses it again by letting you pick from two cards rather than being stuck with the one card you draw from Upstart Goblin. Upstart Goblin isn't a card that should be outclassed, but it also is a card that shouldn't be replicated due to how it effectively lets you run a "37 card Deck." This lets you run a 34 card Deck, and can lower the actual Deck size to 31. In Yugioh, generic draw power is a dangerous thing that should be designed with more care.

Don't get discouraged by this critique, because I give you a lot of credit for making cards, since we really need people to make them.

At first glance, Fi is kind of an unappealing card. "Light Servant" is a weird wad of text just for a type on a card with such tiny text. Also, you could always just call it Fairy or Thunder or something similar, or say "Fi, the Light Servant."

The text is worded more MtG than Yugioh. All union monsters have a universal sort of cookie-cutter effect that makes them all unions.

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 [The monster] you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, [What it does] (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed [by battle], destroy this card instead.)

Also, "use 1 extra dowsing card" means nothing to me. Omit it.

I'd also make its ATK 100-200 fewer points, since it basically eclipses Blue-Eyes perfectly (I mean, plenty of things do this, but I don't see a reason to make this card 3000. That's just me).

As for Dowsing:

"During any phase of your turn, you can play this card; you may draw 2 cards, but must banish one for 3 turns"

If you want it to work during any turn phase, it should be quick play, since those are the only spells with a higher spell speed. Also, drawing 2 cards and banishing one card from your hand is literally a better version of Allure of Darkness, meaning everyone would just play it at 3 and get back all their crap after the third turn. It's almost a pot of greed, in that sense.

"If you control a face up "Link" [Monster]: Equip this card to Link. Link gains 500 ATK and DEF, and you can use 1 extra "Dowsing" card."

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Link" [monster] you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 500 ATK and DEF. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed [by battle], destroy this card 

Dowsing

[Quick Play Spell]

While you control "Fi": draw 2 cards, then banish 1 card from your hand, but return it to your hand during your 3rd turn after this card's activation.

Purple entails something that may be shaky or optional. I would make Dowsing less powerful or add the condition I did.

Hope this helps

I'm actually really happy to get any criticism whatsoever! Means a lot that people are taking the time to help me out!

Don't get discouraged by this critique, because I give you a lot of credit for making cards, since we really need people to make them.

At first glance, Fi is kind of an unappealing card. "Light Servant" is a weird wad of text just for a type on a card with such tiny text. Also, you could always just call it Fairy or Thunder or something similar, or say "Fi, the Light Servant."

The text is worded more MtG than Yugioh. All union monsters have a universal sort of cookie-cutter effect that makes them all unions.

Also, "use 1 extra dowsing card" means nothing to me. Omit it.

I'd also make its ATK 100-200 fewer points, since it basically eclipses Blue-Eyes perfectly (I mean, plenty of things do this, but I don't see a reason to make this card 3000. That's just me).

As for Dowsing:

"During any phase of your turn, you can play this card; you may draw 2 cards, but must banish one for 3 turns"

If you want it to work during any turn phase, it should be quick play, since those are the only spells with a higher spell speed. Also, drawing 2 cards and banishing one card from your hand is literally a better version of Allure of Darkness, meaning everyone would just play it at 3 and get back all their crap after the third turn. It's almost a pot of greed, in that sense.

"If you control a face up "Link" [Monster]: Equip this card to Link. Link gains 500 ATK and DEF, and you can use 1 extra "Dowsing" card."

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Link" [monster] you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 500 ATK and DEF. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed [by battle], destroy this card

Dowsing

[Quick Play Spell]

While you control "Fi": draw 2 cards, then banish 1 card from your hand, but return it to your hand during your 3rd turn after this card's activation.

Purple entails something that may be shaky or optional. I would make Dowsing less powerful or add the condition I did.

Hope this helps

Well, by being Level 7 and there being no way to easily Special Summon it (aside from things like Call of the Haunted), Fi looks like a monster you should keep on the field if you manage to Summon it rather than equipping it to Link. A boost of 500 ATK and DEF isn't really that much. In fact, for a card that isn't that easy to get out, I don't think there is a "correct" amount of ATK and DEF for Fi to give to Link to make it worth the effort and still not be a ridiculous boost to Link's ATK. Try focusing more on extra effects such as protection and perhaps some sort of advantage when the equipped Link destroys a monster by battle? You might be able to still let Fi give Link a bit more ATK, but I don't know anything about this Link card you're mentioning. I also don't understand what you mean by "you may use an extra Dowsing Card." I don't see anything that restricts Dowsing in a way that Fi being equipped the Link can remove. The only restriction that comes to mind is the "You can only run up to 3 cards of a same name in your Deck" rule, which doesn't make sense since you'll be switching between being able to run 4 Dowsing and not being able to run 4 Dowsing mid-Duel (and so you can't really run that 4th Dowsing even if Fi is equipped to Link).

As for Dowsing, it's a stronger form of Upstart Goblin in virtually every way. You get 2 cards, which initially makes it more akin to the banned Pot of Greed, but you have to lose one of them for 3 turns. I suppose that after those 3 turns it goes back to your hand and not into the Deck or something. In the top levels of Yugioh, those 3 turns can be too slow for you to get your card back unless you play this in the first turn or something. However, in the lower power levels, you're more likely to get that second card, which means that they do get Pot of Greed. But back to the faster power level for a minute, it outclasses Upstart Goblin by not giving your opponent a 1000 Life Point boost in return for playing it (which can make a difference), and then it outclasses it again by letting you pick from two cards rather than being stuck with the one card you draw from Upstart Goblin. Upstart Goblin isn't a card that should be outclassed, but it also is a card that shouldn't be replicated due to how it effectively lets you run a "37 card Deck." This lets you run a 34 card Deck, and can lower the actual Deck size to 31. In Yugioh, generic draw power is a dangerous thing that should be designed with more care.

Thank you both so much for the help! Ill put all this advice into making these cards better!

You can ask me to move it, but keep in mind that if you enter Advanced, you'll be graded on a higher standard than what you're getting now.

I'm perfectly fine with criticism, so please move it.

(Sorry if that sounded rude the way I worded it, ill word it again below.)

I am ready to accept the criticism, so if you would be so kind as to move it, thanks.

Plz don't reference cards in other posts, it's very annoying and tedious, especially when they aren't in the same forum. And also, please don't post sets, ESPECIALLY in advanced, which focus on or reference cards which focus on cards which aren't even finished yet.

I am unsure how to even critique this considering the two cards are in two different forums. I have nothing interesting to say on the other two, considering they are completely useless without the Tomes, and Fi's effect is rather mediocre by herself. I mean, Union monsters aren't even played that much at all, unless they provide a good buff, and, sadly, 1000 ATK for one monster with extra damage on battle destruction doesn't cut it, unless of course your Sealing Tomes are the OPest things ever. Dowsing is meh, considering it's a -1, and with these cards by themselves I would rather run upstart or something.

I would give you tips to improve it, but it is just a skeleton for the moment. It is difficult to critique a WIP, as you don't know what comes next, but for now, just keep in mind that these are mostly weak cards.

Sorry if I came off as harsh, or my rant was too...rantful? Rantlike? In any case, I am interested to see what more you have to add to this, but please put them together, and don't post cards which are completely useless until you finish them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived