[Archtype] Skell (Written)

Scarfking

So, ive been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X, and im loving it. So, I decided to make a archtype out of the game. Criticism welcomed.

Monsters:

Skell: Human Model

Level: 6

Attribute: LIGHT

Atk: 2600 Def: 2000

[Machine/Effect]

If you control no "Skell" monster card on your side of the field, you can special summon this card in face-up attack position. When this card is summoned, place 3 Fuel counters on this card. If this card attacks or is attacked, remove 1 fuel counter from this card. During the end phase of any turn, If this card has no Fuel counters on it, shuffle it into the deck, then special summon any "Skell Pilot" card that is equipped to this card. This card's ATK and DEF become 0, and it cannot attack, unless a "Skell Pilot" card has been equipped to this card. 

Skell: Prone Model

Level: 7

Attribute: DARK

Atk: 2800 Def: 1200

[Machine/Effect]

If you control no "Skell" monster card on your side of the field, you can special summon this card in face-up attack position. When this card is summoned, place 3 Fuel counters on this card. If this card attacks or is attacked, remove 1 fuel counter from this card. During the end phase of any turn, If this card has no Fuel counters on it, shuffle it into the deck, then special summon any "Skell Pilot" card that is equipped to this card. This card's ATK and DEF become 0, and it cannot attack, unless a "Skell Pilot" card has been equipped to this card. 

Skell: Wrothian Model

Level: 7

Attribute: EARTH

Atk: 2600 Def: 2000

[Machine/Effect]

If you control no "Skell" monster card on your side of the field, you can special summon this card in face-up attack position. When this card is summoned, place 3 Fuel counters on this card. If this card attacks or is attacked, remove 1 fuel counter from this card. During the end phase of any turn, If this card has no Fuel counters on it, shuffle it into the deck, then special summon any "Skell Pilot" card that is equipped to this card. This card's ATK and DEF become 0, and it cannot attack, unless a "Skell Pilot" card has been equipped to this card. 

Skell: Nopon Model

Level: 5

Attribute: Wind

Atk: 2500 Def: 2200

[Machine/Effect]

If you control no "Skell" monster card on your side of the field, you can special summon this card in face-up attack position. When this card is summoned, place 3 Fuel counters on this card. If this card attacks or is attacked, remove 1 fuel counter from this card. During the end phase of any turn, If this card has no Fuel counters on it, shuffle it into the deck, then special summon any "Skell Pilot" card that is equipped to this card. This card's ATK and DEF become 0, and it cannot attack, unless a "Skell Pilot" card has been equipped to this card. 

Skell: Orphean Model

Level: 5

Atk: 2200 Def: 2200

[Machine/Effect]

Skell: Ma-non Model

Level: 8

Atk: 3000 Def: 500

[Machine/Effect]

If you control no "Skell" monster card on your side of the field, you can special summon this card in face-up attack position. When this card is summoned, place 3 Fuel counters on this card. If this card attacks or is attacked, remove 1 fuel counter from this card. During the end phase of any turn, If this card has no Fuel counters on it, shuffle it into the deck, then special summon any "Skell Pilot" card that is equipped to this card. This card's ATK and DEF become 0, and it cannot attack, unless a "Skell Pilot" card has been equipped to this card. 

Skell Pilot: Ga Jiarg

Level: 4

Atk: 1900 Def: 200

[Warrior/Effect]

Once per turn, you can target one "Skell:" monster card, and equip this card to the target. If this card is equipped to "Skell: Wrothian Model", It gains the following effect:

Neither player can activate card effects when this card attacks and during the damage step.

If this card is destroyed by battle: Target the monster that destroyed this card. If you do, banish this card and destroy the target.

Skell Pilot: Lin

Level: 3

Attribute: FIRE

Atk: 300 Def: 1900

[Warrior/Effect]

Once per turn, you can target one "Skell:" monster card, and equip this card to the target. If this card is equipped to "Skell: Human Model", It gains the following effect:

Once per turn, you can discard 1 card, and place one Fuel counter on any "Skell:" Monster on the field.

If the equipped "Skell:" Monster would be destroyed, you can banish it and this card. If you do, during your next standby phase: Special summon both cards banished by this effect, if there are two unoccupied monster card zones on your side of the field. If not, move both of these cards to the graveyard.

Skell Pilot: Goetia

Level: 4

Attribute: DARK

Atk: 1600 Def: 1500

[Warrior/Effect]

Once per turn, you can target one "Skell:" monster card, and equip this card to the target. If this card is equipped to "Skell: Prone Model", It gains the following effect:

If this card attacks a Warrior type monster, this card gains 500 atk.

Once per turn: You can tribute 1 monster on your side of the field; Gain 600 LP.

Skell Pilot: Kun'Luarb

Level: 2

Atk: 0 Def: 500

[Warrior/Effect]

Once per turn, you can target one "Skell:" monster card, and equip this card to the target. If this card is equipped to "Skell: Orphean Model", It gains the following effect:

This card cannot attack monster cards. Once per turn, during the battle phase: This card can declare an attack on a card in the S/T zone. If you do, skip the damage step and destroy it.

This card cannot attack or be targeted for an attack while face-up (Attacks declared on this card when this card is face-down are conducted normally).

Skell Pilot: Tatsu

Level: 1

Attribute: WIND

Atk: 100 Def: 200

[Warrior/Effect]

Once per turn, you can target one "Skell:" monster card, and equip this card to the target. If this card is equipped to "Skell: Nopon Model", It gains the following effect:

If this card is attacked, you can roll a die. If the result is a 1: Banish this card. If the result is a 5 or 6: Negate the attack. If the result is a 2, 3, or 4: Conduct battle normally.

If this card is sent to the graveyard or destroyed by card effect: Target the card that triggered this effect. If you do, banish this card, and banish all cards with the same name as the target from both player's decks, graveyards, hands, extra decks and sides of the field.

Skell Pilot: Jajanni

Level: 2

Type: EARTH

Atk: 300 Def: 500

[Warrior/Effect]

Once per turn, you can target one "Skell:" monster card, and equip this card to the target. If this card is equipped to "Skell: Ma-non Model", It gains the following effect:

You can remove one Fuel counter from this card; inflict 700 points of damage to your opponent's LP.

If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: Banish this card. Then, add one "Skell" card from your deck to your hand.

~

Spell cards:

Flight Module

Type: Equip

This card can only be equipped to a "Skell:" monster. The equipped monster can attack your opponent's LP directly, but the damage is halved.

Miranium Probe

Type: Continuous

Pay 400 LP for each of your standby phases, or destroy this card. Once per turn, you can place one Fuel counter to a face-up "Skell:" monster card. Your opponent can pay 1000 LP during their Main Phase to destroy this card.

FrontierNav

Type: Normal

Only activate this card if you control one or more face-up "Miranium Probe" spell cards. Target a number of face-down cards your opponent controls, up to the number of face-up "Miranium Probe" cards you control. Reveal the targets.

Refuel

Add 2 Fuel counters to any "Skell:" monster on the field.

Lifehold

Target 2 "Skell Pilot" cards, either banished or in the Graveyard; add them to your hand.

Skell Repair Hangar

Type: Field

Once per turn, you can pay 500 LP, then target 1 "Skell:" monster in your Graveyard; add the target to your hand. If this card is destroyed by card effect: Special summon one "Skell:" and one "Skell Pilot" Card from your hand, graveyard or deck, if you can.

~

Trap Cards:

Trojan Skell

This card can only be activated during it's controller's second main phase. Special Summon 1 Skell Token (Attribute: EARTH Level: 6 Type: Machine Atk: 2000 Def: 1000) to your opponent's side of the field, with the following effect: 

This card cannot be used as Syncro/XYZ/Fusion material or be tributed. This card can attack your opponent directly.

If the Skell Token attacks, after the damage step, destroy it and all cards on your opponents side of the field.

Emergency Skell Call

When your opponent declares an attack on a face-up "Skell Pilot" card you control: Negate the attack, and target the defending monster. If you do, negate the target's effects, Special Summon 1 "Skell:" card from your hand or deck, and equip the target to the Special Summoned card.

~

Thanks for reading! Ive had this idea for awhile and wanted to get it off my chest. Criticism and suggestions are welcome.

Okay, reviewing time.

Having played Xenoblade Chronicles (Not X) and have liked the series, this was somewhat refreshing to read. However, there were a few points that stuck out to me:

Skell pilot: Ga Jiarg." If this card is destroyed by battle: Banish it, and destroy the triggering monster." This is the same with Goetia and Tatsu.

This part was really confusing. Who is the triggering monster? You have to work on wording the card so that the readers wouldn't become confused.

The models were all okay, as I see no error in them. The pilots, though, have to be a little more accurate. When you say "equip", you have state if it's being equipped from the hand to the target or the field to the target, or both. See Armoured Cybern as an example when you get the chance.

Skell Pilot: Kun'Luarb: This is just really awkward. Declaring an attack on a card in the S/T zone can simply be changed to destroy a S/T instead. After all, what are the stats going to be for a set S/T card? I'd strongly recommend editing that.

Be a little more careful with Jajanni. Adding ANY Spell Card is a pretty huge deal in Yugioh. Also, this suggests that the deck can be run just by revolving around this card, the manon model, Reasoning, and cards like Limiter Removal. When an whole archetype can run around completely on one or two cards, it gets pretty murky.

For the Spells:

Flight Module isn't really useful. None of these cards have any effects that resolve when they inflict damage, unlike Watts.

Refuel is probably required, since the models wouldn't receive their bonus effects upon destruction if they're shuffled back.

i didn't notice this until I got to Lifehold. All of the equip monsters have "If this card is equipped to "-Insert name- Model", It gains the following effect:" Is this suggesting that the equipped union monsters would receive the effects? Like I had said before, edit the wording to make it more clearer. 

Skell Repair Hangar is a little too costly, but I think it is mandatory so you would always keep a pilot for a model. However, it has no back-up effect when it is removed from the field, so you're risking the loss of 1000 LP cost for nothing. 1000 is a pretty big chunk.

Also, for the cost, it's supposed to be a semicolon. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 LP and target 1 'Skell" monster in your Graveyard; add the target to your hand. Targeting and paying LP are both costs.

For Trojan Skell: Missing the Level for token. Also, if you're using Repair Hangar and then this, with none of these cards helping you gain back LP, you're going to be dying really, really fast. Maybe go back and make more edits, as well as think through the effects more.

Keep trying. This isn't terrible work, but it requires polishing. 

Okay, reviewing time.

Having played Xenoblade Chronicles (Not X) and have liked the series, this was somewhat refreshing to read. However, there were a few points that stuck out to me:

Skell pilot: Ga Jiarg." If this card is destroyed by battle: Banish it, and destroy the triggering monster." This is the same with Goetia and Tatsu.

Actually, it isnt. Ga Jiarg and Goetia are similar, but i suppose i can change Goetia to something more appropriate. Tatsu is by card effect, and banishes every copy of that card, not just the triggering one.

This part was really confusing. Who is the triggering monster? You have to work on wording the card so that the readers wouldn't become confused.

By the triggering monster, i mean the monster who triggered the effect.

The models were all okay, as I see no error in them. The pilots, though, have to be a little more accurate. When you say "equip", you have state if it's being equipped from the hand to the target or the field to the target, or both. See Armoured Cybern as an example when you get the chance.

I'll specify.

Skell Pilot: Kun'Luarb: This is just really awkward. Declaring an attack on a card in the S/T zone can simply be changed to destroy a S/T instead. After all, what are the stats going to be for a set S/T card? I'd strongly recommend editing that.

​But there's a difference between declaring an attack and targeting a card. Cards such as Mirror Force could be activated from Kun'Luarb if the effect stays as attack. Also, battle isnt conducted. If the attack is declared successfully, the card is destroyed.

Be a little more careful with Jajanni. Adding ANY Spell Card is a pretty huge deal in Yugioh. Also, this suggests that the deck can be run just by revolving around this card, the manon model, Reasoning, and cards like Limiter Removal. When an whole archetype can run around completely on one or two cards, it gets pretty murky.

Okay, i'll change Jajanni.

For the Spells:

Flight Module isn't really useful. None of these cards have any effects that resolve when they inflict damage, unlike Watts.

How is it not useful to attack directly? Thats what i was aiming for.

Refuel is probably required, since the models wouldn't receive their bonus effects upon destruction if they're shuffled back.

Alright.

i didn't notice this until I got to Lifehold. All of the equip monsters have "If this card is equipped to "-Insert name- Model", It gains the following effect:" Is this suggesting that the equipped union monsters would receive the effects? Like I had said before, edit the wording to make it more clearer. 

Each Skell Pilot can add an effect to a Skell Model card, if the model name matches to the effect's requirements.

Skell Repair Hangar is a little too costly, but I think it is mandatory so you would always keep a pilot for a model. However, it has no back-up effect when it is removed from the field, so you're risking the loss of 1000 LP cost for nothing. 1000 is a pretty big chunk.

Okay then, ill reduce the LP cost.

Also, for the cost, it's supposed to be a semicolon. Once per turn: You can pay 1000 LP and target 1 'Skell" monster in your Graveyard; add the target to your hand. Targeting and paying LP are both costs.

Thanks.

For Trojan Skell: Missing the Level for token. Also, if you're using Repair Hangar and then this, with none of these cards helping you gain back LP, you're going to be dying really, really fast. Maybe go back and make more edits, as well as think through the effects more.

Ill try and think of an effect change to gain LP.

Keep trying. This isn't terrible work, but it requires polishing. 

Polishing will commence! Thanks for the suggestions.

Update: Two new spell cards

For the models, since they all have the same effect: Nothing wrong there.

Monsters:

Ga Jiarg: Effects seem fair. Armades based effect plus Bull Blader.

Lin: Still retains awkward wording. Also, there's no OPT restriction on its effect. There's no clear explanation of what happens if one cannot be Special Summoned after banishing both. (E.g Monster Zone full, banished moved to Graveyard, etc).

Goetia: A little underwhelming with its effects, but there could be a good combo with it. However, the likelihood of that is pretty low...

Kun'Luarb: ...Still a turn-off with this card's effect. Declaring an attack on a S/T zone makes no sense at all. If you're still adamant, consider the fact that no one else is reviewing your thread. I'm sorry, but I've already criticized it once, and you're still being stubborn on the fact that this clause cannot exist.

Tatsu: This one I like most out of the group. His effect is interesting, as it is similar to Mega Caius. However, you better hope your opponent isn't playing mirror or running the same staples as you.

Jajanni: Float effect is good. Burn damage is okay too, but could be upgraded to 800.

S/T:

Flight Module: I can see a little better of what you're attempting here. Used best with Jajanni to grind your opponent's LP to 0.

Miranium Probe: Way too underwhelming. Paying 100 to keep it is good, but your opponent only needs to pay 300 to pop? This pretty much gives you a -1. Increase the opponent's cost to 1000, and maybe yours to 500.

FrontierNav: Might not be too useful in today's meta, but there's nothing wrong with the card.

Refuel: Deck Staple. 3 copies with no questions asked.

Lifehold: Eh, nothing wrong with this card. Mask Charge of the deck.

Skell Repair Hangar: Again, a staple. Honestly, you can even give a float effect for this card, since it can't turn the game around anyhow. But make sure the float effect is only based on removal by card effect.

Trojan Skell: Mmm... Seeing how today's meta is going, it's most likely going to be used as Synchro/Tribute fodder. You can even add to this card's effect that if this card did not attack that turn, your opponent takes 500 damage. Otherwise, change up the effect so that it can't be tributed or something, because it's very underwhelming right now. Staunch Defender does crap when they switch it to DEF mode.

Emergency Skell Call: Staple. Also, counter traps are a direct negation response to an card or effect, not to an attack. This card is only a Normal Trap, but it's still a good one. Hard OPT is unneeded as it can only resolve during attack declaration on a Skell. 

For the models, since they all have the same effect: Nothing wrong there.

I just realized though: I need to change it so that they get shuffled at the end phase, cause they remove one counter to attack, and if none, they get shuffled, which could be an interrupt.

Monsters:

Ga Jiarg: Effects seem fair. Armades based effect plus Bull Blader.

Alright then.

Lin: Still retains awkward wording. Also, there's no OPT restriction on its effect. There's no clear explanation of what happens if one cannot be Special Summoned after banishing both. (E.g Monster Zone full, banished moved to Graveyard, etc).

Thanks, i hadn't thought of that.

Goetia: A little underwhelming with its effects, but there could be a good combo with it. However, the likelihood of that is pretty low...

Ok.

Kun'Luarb: ...Still a turn-off with this card's effect. Declaring an attack on a S/T zone makes no sense at all. If you're still adamant, consider the fact that no one else is reviewing your thread. I'm sorry, but I've already criticized it once, and you're still being stubborn on the fact that this clause cannot exist.

Im not quite sure i understand how you mean. My thought process was, "If an attack is declared, itll still lose its fuel and Mirror force can be activated. If it doesnt attack, the Fuel stays forever."

Tatsu: This one I like most out of the group. His effect is interesting, as it is similar to Mega Caius. However, you better hope your opponent isn't playing mirror or running the same staples as you.

I know. You gotta be careful with him.

Jajanni: Float effect is good. Burn damage is okay too, but could be upgraded to 800.

Ill consider it.

S/T:

Flight Module: I can see a little better of what you're attempting here. Used best with Jajanni to grind your opponent's LP to 0.

Okay then.

Miranium Probe: Way too underwhelming. Paying 100 to keep it is good, but your opponent only needs to pay 300 to pop? This pretty much gives you a -1. Increase the opponent's cost to 1000, and maybe yours to 500.

But i thought you said this archtype would lose HP fast? Unless Goetia resolved that. Ill increase it, it just seems you contradicted yourself there a second.

FrontierNav: Might not be too useful in today's meta, but there's nothing wrong with the card.

Yeah, i didnt think it would be that useful, but it fits with how the Miranium Probes were used in the game.

Refuel: Deck Staple. 3 copies with no questions asked.

Alright.

Lifehold: Eh, nothing wrong with this card. Mask Charge of the deck.

Okay.

Skell Repair Hangar: Again, a staple. Honestly, you can even give a float effect for this card, since it can't turn the game around anyhow. But make sure the float effect is only based on removal by card effect.

Ill think of something.

Trojan Skell: Mmm... Seeing how today's meta is going, it's most likely going to be used as Synchro/Tribute fodder. You can even add to this card's effect that if this card did not attack that turn, your opponent takes 500 damage. Otherwise, change up the effect so that it can't be tributed or something, because it's very underwhelming right now. Staunch Defender does crap when they switch it to DEF mode.

Ill probably make it so it cant be used for syncro/xyz etc. That should be enough.

Emergency Skell Call: Staple. Also, counter traps are a direct negation response to an card or effect, not to an attack. This card is only a Normal Trap, but it's still a good one. Hard OPT is unneeded as it can only resolve during attack declaration on a Skell. 

Okay, i'll change that.

Thanks again for reviewing and suggestions!

Thanks again for reviewing and suggestions!

For Miranium Probe, I had suggested it because of the re-edits. It's not as costly now with only 500 LP for Skell Hangar, so now it's possible to ante up the costs. After all, you're only paying 500 to keep it, but your opponent has to pay 1000 to destroy it. This is to start focusing on the aspect that the Skells are aiming for passive aggressiveness, meaning it forces your opponent to start paying LP to slow the swarm, or face an aggressive onslaught of machines. This is establishing a theme to your archetype.

Basically, I'm trying to apply a similar version of Chicken Game effect here in Probe. But the main focus would be on forcing your opponent to make hard choices, especially if he's being hit by damage every turn. 

Archived