The Truth About Popular Music

Zauls

Discovered an interesting video about the state of popular music in the modern day (by popular or "pop" one means the majority of chart singles) and I thought it'd be interesting to see what you guys think. Posting in General instead of Music to actually get responses and some kind of discussion.

Ow the edge.

At the end of the day you can look at music objectively all you want but it's all a matter of taste, regardless of arguments about "brainwashing" and all that sheet. If people want to hear it, people will make it. This just looks to me like someone who personally doesn't like it trying to justify his dislike by saying society as a whole is stupid.

Right when he said "Films in the 70s and 80s were more simplistic" I had to pause the video in order to burst out in laughter from how moronic and wrong that statement was. I just...I just cant believe this pretentious funk at all.

If youve actually taken Film History then youd know that the 70s is considered to be the highest point of artistic expression for film due to how many films decided to push the boundaries after censorship went down and thats just one argument to be made.

Seriously this guy is just hilariously bad at his own opinion everything he says just makes him look like some self-indulgent "intellectual" elitist and his opinions can all be easily dismissed as some narrow minded generalization.

Also I never watched the video past the part that I laughed my ass off and neither do I intend to.

I sorta agree with him, but he could've explained matters less extremely (describing music as "dumber", calling artists "talentless") and avoid using slippery slopes (lyrics won't be a challenge for 7 yr olds years from now, everything is sounding the same). But many artists do have simplistic lyrics and do use volume baking. 

Holy smokes, that comments section reminds me of General, and ironically may be the preview of what might happen here.

On music is becoming all the same/ Saturating the same crap by the same people/ Being dumbed down with saturation/ Blah blah vapid faux-intellectual nonsense

This is the case with every generation of music. I've listened to classical music, and it all sounded the same to me.

Something works, people keep doing it.

Something new works, people start doing it.

Music is an artform, and history has shown that art doesn't get better or worse. It just gets different for one reason or another.

Something changes. Someone tries something new out of boredom, experimentation, because they're tired of what's popular, to challenge norms, political reasons, etc.

Music isn't being dumbed down, it's just getting different like any art medium.

Art can be used to serve people's tastes, or provoke the viewer/listener to think differently. Neither is wrong, and (one of) his complaint seems to be that the former is.

Seriously, I love the crap out of 80's music for the emphasis on intense energy and emotion, but I think I can understand why some might want lighter-sounding stuff like...whatever we have today.

tl;dr: "I hate what's popular! Let me assert intellectual superiority to convince everyone I'm right!"

Right when he said "Films in the 70s and 80s were more simplistic" I had to pause the video in order to burst out in laughter from how moronic and wrong that statement was. I just...I just cant believe this pretentious f*** at all.

If youve actually taken Film History then youd know that the 70s is considered to be the highest point of artistic expression for film due to how many films decided to push the boundaries after censorship went down and thats just one argument to be made.

Seriously this guy is just hilariously bad at his own opinion everything he says just makes him look like some self-indulgent "intellectual" elitist and his opinions can all be easily dismissed as some narrow minded generalization.

Also I never watched the video past the part that I laughed my ass off and neither do I intend to.

I definitely agree the film part is a ridiculous comparison. I'm not a huge film buff, but look for example at "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" compared to, say, the Transformers films. Need I say more?

Though I don't really have a hell of a lot to add to this discussion, what I will say is that popular music has been relatively simplistic since its conception. That's the point, really. Doesn't make it any worse. Throughout history, there have been people like George Formby, The Beatles etc. that are relatively simplistic musically and lyrically, it's not a recent occurrence. I personally don't like the increasing reliance on music videos, particularly if it just uses a load of half-naked dancing girls to sell it. That's personal preference though.

Ultimately, complaining about the trends of a certain genre of music is pointless, because there is an abundance of instrumentalists and singers who both write and perform their own music and are more technically capable. People can listen to that if they want. People can also listen to pop music if they want, it doesn't bother me.

It should also be noted that this same person actually believes the Illuminati is controlling the music industry and "brainwashing our children" through subliminal satanic symbolism in pop music videos.

you can tell exactly what kind of annoying jabroni this guy is by the tone of his voice, incredible

It should also be noted that this same person actually believes the Illuminati is controlling the music industry and "brainwashing our children" through subliminal satanic symbolism in pop music videos.

Why are you giving an idiot extra attention? You would laugh at someone frustrating themselves about this with a dog, though the dog has the strength to make it known that it wants attention.

Whose Voice's have I been hearing if they're not >:O

Seriously though, this is the same creed of people that think that the US "did" 9/11, paying attention to them is all the want

Why are you giving an idiot extra attention? You would laugh at someone frustrating themselves about this with a dog, though the dog has the strength to make it known that it wants attention.

It's the opposite, I linked that video so people would see it and realize "oh this is actually just another insane person on youtube, let me not waste my time refuting his baseless arguments." 

It's the opposite, I linked that video so people would see it and realize "oh this is actually just another insane person on youtube, let me not waste my time refuting his baseless arguments."

Opposites are always closest to each other. I ought to have directed my question at Rai.

Opposites are always closest to each other. I ought to have directed my question at Rai.

To be honest, it's not worth my time refuting the arguments. That said, it's not hard to come up with an argument against him.

Pop music is interesting enough that one could form a pretty neat discussion out of the facts he so carefully abuses though.

I dunno guys, regardless of whether or not the same guy is making Illuminati conspiracy videos, I think he does have a point in regards to the vapidness and generic-ness of the music industry today. I don't see it as a problem - I have my moments where I blast Ariana Grande, Beyonce, or Rihanna, but by no stretch of imagination would I ever consider them superior songwriters, composers, or lyricists. Just take things for what they are.

Archived