[AGM] Voir! Le Mystique Grimmoire!

The Nyx Avatar

Grimmoire

LIGHT Fiends and Fairies, with a very odd mixed bag of gimmicks to them:

1. Like Crystal Beasts, if their Main Deck offerings would die, you can put them in your Spell/Trap Zones instead, and while there they ape the effects of various Spells, but on a continuous basis (OPT versions of MST, in-archetype RotA, Smashing Ground, Monster Reincarnation and even a Change of Heart clone)

2. In terms of their effects as monsters, their main strategy is similar to Rock Stun, locking your opponent from doing something when flipped face-up (attacking, SSing, using Spells or Traps, recycling, banishing).

3. Despite the staggered Levels, they're one of the best Xyz archetypes in the biz, because once face-up these atrocities match Levels with each other. Good thing they're restricted to their own archetype . . .

4. Oddly, their Xyz entries aren't really that bad, being odd beatsticks . . . provided your opponent doesn't kill them. If they are killed by your opponent's card, they immediately Rank up into ANY Xyz that is exactly 1 Rank higher. Feel free to panic.

[spoiler=Show Monster Cards]

32pNwZe.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards for the rest of this turn.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it.

og6MdgJ.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Your opponent cannot activate Effect Monster effects for the rest of this turn.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can target 1 monster on the field; destroy it.

zC25KSC.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Your opponent cannot activate Trap Cards for the rest of this turn.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; banish it.

9MW0CeL.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Your opponent cannot Special Summon for the rest of this turn.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can target 1 monster on the field; decrease its ATK by 1000.

KWEpyQX.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Negate all Effect Monster effects your opponent activates this turn, and if you do, banish those cards.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can Special Summon 1 "Grimmoire" monster from your hand or Graveyard.

S86pmfl.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Negate all Spell Cards your opponent activates this turn, and if you do, banish those cards.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can Special Summon 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is banished or in your Spell & Trap Card Zone.

qPdDMwI.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Negate all Spell/Trap effects and cards your opponent activates this turn, and if you do, banish them.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can switch control of 1 "Grimmoire" monster with a monster your opponent controls (you choose). During your Main Phase, while you control no monsters: You can discard this card; Special Summon 1 "Grimmoire" monster from your Deck.

JGalsbF.jpg

LORE:FLIP: Negate all Summons Effect Monster's effects your opponent activates, and if you do, banish them.
Cannot be used as an Xyz Material, except for the Xyz Summon of a "Grimmoire" monster. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster on the field; the Levels of all face-up "Grimmoire" monsters become equal to the target's Level. If this face-up card is destroyed while it is in a Monster Card Zone, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can switch control of 1 "Grimmoire" card in your Spell & Trap Card Zone with 1 Spell/Trap Card on your opponent's side of the field (you choose). During your Main Phase: You can discard this card; add 1 "Grimmoire" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.

[spoiler=Show Spell Cards]

pEmoguo.jpg

LORE:Place 1 "Grimmoire" monster from your Deck in an empty Spell & Trap Card Zone on you or your opponent's side of the field.

ojM4Mug.jpg

LORE:All "Grimmoire" monsters on the field gain 300 ATK and DEF. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is banished or in your Graveyard; place it in an empty Spell & Trap Card Zone on you or your opponent's side of the field.

mN8YwpR.jpg

LORE:Special Summon 1 "Grimmoire" monster from your Deck. If you do, you cannot Special Summon other monsters this turn. During your Main Phase (except during the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard): You can banish this card from your Graveyard; place 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is banished or in your Graveyard in an empty Spell & Trap Card Zone.

[spoiler=Show Trap Cards]

bGEmCw1.jpg

LORE:When a monster(s) would be Summoned, OR when a Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s): Pay 1000 Life Points; negate the Summon or activation, and if you do, banish that card. You must control a face-up "Grimmoire" monster to activate this card.

[spoiler=Show Xyz Monster Cards]

sLTpOsW.jpg

LORE:2 Level 1 monsters
This card gains 500 ATK and DEF for each Spell/Trap Card on the field. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; place 1 "Grimmoire" monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard in an empty Spell & Trap Card Zone on you or your opponent's side of the field.When this card is destroyed (either by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is 1 Rank higher, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.)

fCjp5r6.jpg

LORE:2 Level 2 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; increase this card's ATK by 500. When this card is destroyed (either by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is 1 Rank higher, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.)

nsDZliJ.jpg

LORE:2 Level 3 "Grimmoire" monsters
While you control another monster, this card cannot declare an attack. You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 "Grimmoire" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. You can only activate this effect of "Grimmoire Celestia" once per turn. When this card is destroyed (either by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is 1 Rank higher, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.)

YWElxwt.jpg

LORE:2 Level 4 "Grimmoire" monsters
This card can attack twice during the Battle Phase. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; banish up to 3 cards that are face-up in your opponent's Extra Deck. When this card is destroyed (either by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is 1 Rank higher, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.)

etlC5OP.jpg

LORE:2 Level 5 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon up to 2 "Grimmoire" monsters from your hand, Graveyard, or Spell & Trap Card Zone. When this card is destroyed (either by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is 1 Rank higher, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.)

9k0HOAv.jpg

LORE:2 Level 6 monsters
Cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. If this card was Xyz Summoned using a "Grimmoire" monster as an Xyz Material, this card cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 card your opponent controls; place it in an empty Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Continuous Spell Card, and if you do, you can Special Summon 1 "Grimmoire" monster from either player's Spell & Trap Card Zone. When this card is destroyed (either by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is 1 Rank higher, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.)

13Q1ivI.jpg

LORE:2 Level 7 "Grimmoire" monsters
This card's Summon cannot be negated. Cannot be targeted by card effects or banished. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon up to 2 "Grimmoire" monsters from your Deck, but destroy them during the End Phase. When this card is destroyed (either by battle or by a card effect): You can Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Grimmoire" monster that is 1 Rank higher, and if you do, attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon.)

E8GfV4i.jpg

LORE:2 Level 8 "Grimmoire" monsters
This card's Summon cannot be negated. Cannot be targeted by card effects or banished. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon any number of "Grimmoire" monsters from your hand or Graveyard, but destroy them during the End Phase.

I always find myself drawn to the archetypes that you make, Nyx. This one is no different. The fact that you had the title in French helped (it's the language I studied in high school). As a starting note: these set off two different PTSD flashes for me (Shaddolls and Crystal Beasts). Still, good enough that I made it through!

I find it a very cool mechanic that any member of the archetype can change the levels of every other card to match a selected one. Makes the Xyz plays phenomenal... or it would, if you had more than just Celestia to take advantage of it.

As it stands, you have a perfect engine for Xyz Summons. Seraphina or Juste into the other, then from there into your chosen 3rd Grimmoire, and then adjust the levels, and you have everything you need for a 3-material Xyz boss. Since you've already got a Fairy Xyz, I feel that a 3-material Fiend would balance out and make the best use of what you've got.

I would love to go on, but there's not a whole lot of cards here for me to talk about. As always, keep up the good work, Nyx!

I always find myself drawn to the archetypes that you make, Nyx. This one is no different. The fact that you had the title in French helped (it's the language I studied in high school). As a starting note: these set off two different PTSD flashes for me (Shaddolls and Crystal Beasts). Still, good enough that I made it through!

I find it a very cool mechanic that any member of the archetype can change the levels of every other card to match a selected one. Makes the Xyz plays phenomenal... or it would, if you had more than just Celestia to take advantage of it.

As it stands, you have a perfect engine for Xyz Summons. Seraphina or Juste into the other, then from there into your chosen 3rd Grimmoire, and then adjust the levels, and you have everything you need for a 3-material Xyz boss. Since you've already got a Fairy Xyz, I feel that a 3-material Fiend would balance out and make the best use of what you've got.

I would love to go on, but there's not a whole lot of cards here for me to talk about. As always, keep up the good work, Nyx!

Thank you! I usually lean towards more occult and/or classy archetypes.

At least these don't have Grave-triggering effects, like Shaddoll.

And don't worry about the Xyz Monsters; I should be done with the rest by tomorrow, along with two more Main Deck Grimmoire monsters.

Your rank 8 seems to be pretty crazy, I'd put a slight cost on it. You don't need a once per turn, but what you could do it make it cost 500 for each monster summoned exactly like soul charge. The really cool thing about this card would be that you could detach, soul charge for 2, then detach, soul charge for more. This would give her a very nice flexibility when you are either short on room for monsters and want to extend a bit more, or when you don't have a bunch of monsters in your grave/hand and need to reuse some of them. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be many outs to her, which is a problem because if they can't respond as she's summoned then they might just lose; if you wanted she could do with a small restriction. Having her need another Grimoire on the field to have her untargetability would mean immediately jumping into her without any other monsters would leave an opening for your opponent. Similar thing with all your rank6-8. The Xyz laddering is pretty damn powerful, it seems that nontargeting nondestroying removal that doesn't banish is the only way to stop them. Actually, nothing short of Storming Mirror Force or Gamciel can stop them. I'd rather try and fight through Shaddoll Constructs.

Helena seems really cool actually and could be used in a Artifact hybrid! You would need to make her S/T destruction effect during either player's turn or when she's destroyed by battle, but it could open up some nice tech for the deck.

I really like the idea, but dealing with rock stun is difficult enough, not being able to touch their Xyz is backbreaking ;;

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking through the monsters makes me think they are quite powerful. I mean yes, they are limited on how they you can Xyz with them, and the only go the S/T if they are destroyed while face-up, you can Summon one, Dark Hole, then most of them allow you generic effects. The flip effects are rather powerful for killing your opponent's MP2, and so give me a powerful impression. Nerfing is required IMO.

And now the S/T make me think I need to do that even more, as you can brick up your opponent's S/T with archetypal Grimmoire. The spamming is real, especially with lack of OPT.

Demise is fine, nothing else to say in traps.

Although the sheer amount of cards add versatility, I feel there are far too many. There is only one monster for each Xyz, and that REALLY limits it. I wish it were more focused on one, two, or even three ranks. Not 1-8.

Just looking through the monsters makes me think they are quite powerful. I mean yes, they are limited on how they you can Xyz with them, and the only go the S/T if they are destroyed while face-up, you can Summon one, Dark Hole, then most of them allow you generic effects. The flip effects are rather powerful for killing your opponent's MP2, and so give me a powerful impression. Nerfing is required IMO.

But there's no card in this archetype that can Special Summon them face-down. You'd have to use up your Normal Summon/Set for that pay-off, and your opponent won't have much difficulty getting over it.

And now the S/T make me think I need to do that even more, as you can brick up your opponent's S/T with archetypal Grimmoire. The spamming is real, especially with lack of OPT.

Well, that depends: Do you want to give your opponent a few obsolete cards or have them on your side of the field for your own benefit?

Although the sheer amount of cards add versatility, I feel there are far too many. There is only one monster for each Xyz, and that REALLY limits it. I wish it were more focused on one, two, or even three ranks. Not 1-8.

But that's why they have their effects that change their Level.

Archived