YuGiOh Vassal Project - Duel your friends with Custom Cards

nickredace

First off this thread was transferred here in an attempt to gain more exposures, Also this will be complete with all updated posted together to give you the full steps on how to install and add cards and play with friends. But I know the real question your all thinking, why here on the duel Portal Forum? That's because Duel Portal is the reason for this Vassal Project. It was started after playing Duel Portal and taking notice to its flaws, though due to my lack of Coding skills this project will by no means replace Duel Portal but will allow people to do pretty much the same thing as Duel portal at a less automatic level. 

(

)

If you are wanted to add cards straight from YCM and MSE Series9, You just have to re-size them first using http://picresize.com/) Use the 361x523) 

You can now add them right after saving.

E4MJPym.png

So what does this Vassal Project Program have in it, what does it allow?

Features include

Up to Four players (Which Allows tag teams)

The Regular (Decks, Banish, ExtraDeck, Graveyard)

The Use of Custom Cards (Any Custom Cards)

The Use of any other card game (As long the card size is the same)

Also the Use of Dice, and coin Toss

Spectators

Great but whats to come?

Custom Card Sleeves (Yup I'm working on them)

Custom Backgrounds

A Site that allows the posting of Custom Card Extensions for easy access.

Is that it? Well ya the project is pretty much complete, only tweaking and minor additions remain, other than that its completely functional.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Quick Tutorial]

Make the card, export the card(Save the card) Open Vassal Right click the Card Module, select New Extension... Then you see this HUGE Console with all these things to see, but all you have to touch is Cards/Card Sets/Cards. . . then copy test and paste then double click and just double click (Basic Piece) then double click the image and replace it with yours, and name it what you want. Repeat for how many cards you want. It sounds complicated with words but once you do it, its very easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Update* Update #1 - Version 1.0

-Fixed Multiple bugs

-Increased size of Board and cards to remove the need of resizing for Cards downloaded from Yugioh Card maker, and MSE Series9.

This update should allow those who have already created their cards of YCM to just download them, then upload them into the extension.

If your having Problems connecting with friends or other players remember you need to both have the same extensions enabled to play together. 

If you have, Questions, or suggestions plz comment away.

xD I bit complicated for my liking...

I'll probably sit down and take a good look at it when I have more free time.

It looks complicated but its really simple.

Make the card, export the card(Save the card) 

Open Vassal select New Extension... Then you see this HUGE Console with all these things to see,

but all you have to touch is Cards/Card Sets/Cards. . . then copy test and paste then double click and just double click (Basic Piece) then double click the image and replace it with yours, and name it what you want. Repeat for how many cards you want.

It sounds complicated with words but once you do it, its very easy. 

So.... why would I go through the work of recreating my litterly hundreds of cards for multiple archetypes I've developed [spoiler=()]which btw, I don't have the pictures for, cause I delete them when I'm done... since my parents won't like some of the pictures.  lol

when they are already uploaded to Duel Portal?

Here is the verdict as far as I can see it:

1. Devise a way to EASILY import cards or entire decks from Duel Portal/YCM/TCG Editor into the project.

2. Incorporate tag duels.

3. Complete numbers 1 and 2 before Duel Portal (DP has you beat to #1).

Unless you can at least do those three things I listed.  You probably shouldn't waste your time on this project.

It looks complicated but its really simple.

Make the card, export the card(Save the card) 

Open Vassal select New Extension... Then you see this HUGE Console with all these things to see,

but all you have to touch is Cards/Card Sets/Cards. . . then copy test and paste then double click and just double click (Basic Piece) then double click the image and replace it with yours, and name it what you want. Repeat for how many cards you want.

It sounds complicated with words but once you do it, its very easy. 

Can't find the "New Extension" Button?

Edit: Found it but I don't know how to edit the test file thingy. I can barely understand your explanation.

Another Edit: Nvm this post xD Just waiting for someone on vassal.

Would this work if two people had two different sets of custom cards? Or would both people need to have both custom sets installed

That is a slight flaw in this program both people have to have both custom sets installed to play, right now I'm looking into way of allow players to quickly transfer custom sets and a website to place them on so New players can find them and download them.

So.... why would I go through the work of recreating my litterly hundreds of cards for multiple archetypes I've developed [spoiler=()]which btw, I don't have the pictures for, cause I delete them when I'm done... since my parents won't like some of the pictures.  lol

when they are already uploaded to Duel Portal?

I'm glad that your are committed to creating your own cards / Archtypes. Though if you had retained or find new images for your cards, this would simply allow you to play tag/four players while being able to see your cards in full rendition, meaning its more of Duel Portal but with custom cards. That was the one of the major flaws I found with Dueling Network, I couldn't see my card image, and thus is was pretty much playing with proxies, and that kinda made playing a bit less fun. So their isn't a real reason for you go through all that trouble of remaking your cards / Archtypes in This vassal project unless you want tag/four player duels and full card images.

I would consider it too only if i can import already made YCM or DP cards, since i don't keep the Pics.

DP is far from perfect, but it has a simple submit mechanism.

Well for DP I'd have to you talk to its creator, but If your using YCM its easy if you don't want to go through the trouble of magic set editor and remaking your cards if you already made them on YCM, just download them and and resize using http://picresize.com/editto  361x523. (I'm gonna have increase the size of the Deck's Graveyards, etc to use larger cards so that Adding cards from YCM and MSE Series9 easier.)

Here is the verdict as far as I can see it:

1. Devise a way to EASILY import cards or entire decks from Duel Portal/YCM/TCG Editor into the project.

2. Incorporate tag duels.

3. Complete numbers 1 and 2 before Duel Portal (DP has you beat to #1).

Unless you can at least do those three things I listed.  You probably shouldn't waste your time on this project.

#1 - In progress with YCM (Look at the above) , I'll have to see what I can do about Duel portal though

#2 - Done.... Just use the same field

#3 - So are we even since I beat them to #2 and they beat me to #1???

I'm glad that your are committed to creating your own cards / Archtypes. Though if you had retained or find new images for your cards, this would simply allow you to play tag/four players while being able to see your cards in full rendition, meaning its more of Duel Portal but with custom cards. That was the one of the major flaws I found with Dueling Network, I couldn't see my card image, and thus is was pretty much playing with proxies, and that kinda made playing a bit less fun. So their isn't a real reason for you go through all that trouble of remaking your cards / Archtypes in This vassal project unless you want tag/four player duels and full card images.\

#1 - In progress with YCM (Look at the above) , I'll have to see what I can do about Duel portal though

#2 - Done.... Just use the same field

#3 - So are we even since I beat them to #2 and they beat me to #1???

By not having the images, I mean I don't have the picture that appears in the center of the cards.  Also, I can sometimes see my own cards and those of the other player on the field in full rendition, but I admit, it is very buggy.

Yes you are even.

What you may want to do, is set it up like Duel Portal, where players have full control of the field, while at the same time adding the capacity to tag duel.  Also, Sealleite has put a ton of work into Duel Portal (almost 500 pages in the support thread and he still is developing), it would be a a massive shame if he wasn't involved in developing, essentially the "2nd Generation Duel Portal".

Also, "Project Vassal" is a fine project name, but as a finished product? not so much.  I would like to suggest "Duel Portal 2" as the name for the finished project, in respect for Duel Portal which influenced the idea of this project. You could replace "2" with a cool tag if you wanna customize the name while keeping the respect, kinda like how Yugioh did it with Yugioh, Yugioh GX, Yugioh 5D's, Yugioh Zexal, and now Yugioh Arc-V.

My name suggestions are: Duel Portal "2, Geminus, Diplo, Daburu, Concilium, Defteros, Ni-Ban, Concursus, Synkrousi, Shototsu, or GX."

*Update* Update #1 - Version 1.0

-Fixed Multiple bugs

-Increased size of Board and cards to remove the need of resizing for Cards downloaded from Yugioh Card maker, and MSE Series9.

This update should allow those who have already created their cards of YCM to just download them, then upload them into the extension.

Can't download the MagicSetEditor

What happens when click on the link? Does it send you ro a Mega Folder link with files like Data,MSE, and Unistall? If it does you can Either select them all and right click standard download, or select download as zip. 

If thats not the case please tell me what happens when you do click on the link.

What happens when click on the link? Does it send you ro a Mega Folder link with files like Data,MSE, and Unistall? If it does you can Either select them all and right click standard download, or select download as zip. 

If thats not the case please tell me what happens when you do click on the link.

Yea, it takes me to the Mega site, but when I click download as zip or standard download, it says it started and gives me button to watch progress. I go to see progress and it says done.  Cool!  Look for it in downloads folder, nowhere to be found.  Look in download list, nowhere to be found.

Also, you never responded to this comment:

[spoiler=Quote]

What you may want to do, is set it up like Duel Portal, where players have full control of the field, while at the same time adding the capacity to tag duel.  Also, Sealleite has put a ton of work into Duel Portal (almost 500 pages in the support thread and he still is developing), it would be a a massive shame if he wasn't involved in developing, essentially the "2nd Generation Duel Portal".

Also, "Project Vassal" is a fine project name, but as a finished product? not so much.  I would like to suggest "Duel Portal 2" as the name for the finished project, in respect for Duel Portal which influenced the idea of this project. You could replace "2" with a cool tag if you wanna customize the name while keeping the respect, kinda like how Yugioh did it with Yugioh, Yugioh GX, Yugioh 5D's, Yugioh Zexal, and now Yugioh Arc-V.

My name suggestions are: Duel Portal "2, Geminus, Diplo, Daburu, Concilium, Defteros, Ni-Ban, Concursus, Synkrousi, Shototsu, or GX."

Yea, it takes me to the Mega site, but when I click download as zip or standard download, it says it started and gives me button to watch progress. I go to see progress and it says done.  Cool!  Look for it in downloads folder, nowhere to be found.  Look in download list, nowhere to be found.

Also, you never responded to this comment:

[spoiler=Quote]

Well Depending on what browser your using you should be able to right click on the button and select open in folder to see where it is. and for your other question... I'm working on it.

Well Depending on what browser your using you should be able to right click on the button and select open in folder to see where it is. and for your other question... I'm working on it.

Any way you can  make it a simple download like the other two?  Cause, I can't figure it out.  lol.  I don't use Mega

Does it work on custom types?

Custom types? Custom Monster types yes, Custom card types yes, Custom card game type, yes.

Since this project is based on images as long as the image is 419Wx610H in pixels.

Also the Magic Set editor Series9 supports a lot of Custom add on and changes including type, and rarity. But if tinkering is one of your forte's, you can also add in custom Icons, custom attributes, and custom rarity aka foil. Also Series9 allows you take make special rule types, so you can make gemini, union, and anything you wanted to make.

Any way you can  make it a simple download like the other two?  Cause, I can't figure it out.  lol.  I don't use Mega

I've added a link to the stand alone, that should help you.

Oh... I gotta install this?  I would do it... but my parents aren't too big on games (gaming is banned).  So, I can't.

The reason I like Duel Portal and Dueling Network is that they are in my browser.  I can use any computer anywhere.  The reason I liked YGOpro (before their massive update that overhauled the entire thing and made it super complicated and annoying to use) was because it was 1 download that did not require an install and I could use it anywhere, even from my thumb drive.

My only issue with Vassal (since your so pro that you overcame all the others) is that it requires me to install it into my computer.  And coming from a VERY strict house (when it comes to the video game ban) I cannot risk having my parents use my computer and discover Vassal installed.  This is also the main reason I don't play most other games and that this site is one of my biggest past times.

I applaud you for the large strides you have made in the completion of this project.

Oh... I gotta install this?  I would do it... but my parents aren't too big on games (gaming is banned).  So, I can't.

The reason I like Duel Portal and Dueling Network is that they are in my browser.  I can use any computer anywhere.  The reason I liked YGOpro (before their massive update that overhauled the entire thing and made it super complicated and annoying to use) was because it was 1 download that did not require an install and I could use it anywhere, even from my thumb drive.

My only issue with Vassal (since your so pro that you overcame all the others) is that it requires me to install it into my computer.  And coming from a VERY strict house (when it comes to the video game ban) I cannot risk having my parents use my computer and discover Vassal installed.  This is also the main reason I don't play most other games and that this site is one of my biggest past times.

I applaud you for the large strides you have made in the completion of this project.

Sir I applaud you for always giving me something I could do to improve this project. Now allow me to fix yet another for you. Its a pretty easy fix, that takes about.... 5-10 minutes to do, first off install vassal, then right click the icon and select ,"Open File Location". This will lead you to the vassal installed on your computer. Now plug in your thumb drive, (Vassal is very small only 20.3Mb) and copy everything in that file(Or the file itself) onto your thumb drive [Copy don't cut] once done simply unplug the thumb drive and select uninstall from the file on your computer. Now you have successfully added the Vassal system onto your thumb drive. MSE comes in a complete file that can be cut directly into your thumb drive, and same goes with the Vassal Module.

Hope it helps

Sir I applaud you for always giving me something I could do to improve this project. Now allow me to fix yet another for you. Its a pretty easy fix, that takes about.... 5-10 minutes to do, first off install vassal, then right click the icon and select ,"Open File Location". This will lead you to the vassal installed on your computer. Now plug in your thumb drive, (Vassal is very small only 20.3Mb) and copy everything in that file(Or the file itself) onto your thumb drive [Copy don't cut] once done simply unplug the thumb drive and select uninstall from the file on your computer. Now you have successfully added the Vassal system onto your thumb drive. MSE comes in a complete file that can be cut directly into your thumb drive, and same goes with the Vassal Module.

Hope it helps

Dammit man, now I have to try it.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I think I've figured out how to design the cards... umm... no idea how then to move those cards from the editor to the actual Vassal game interface.  Um... and how do I move cards from YCM to Vassal?  Can I just copy paste the card link like in Duel Portal?

Edit: Just discovered the userguide, gonna check it out.

Edit: Vassal says that the "Yugioh card module.vmod" I downloaded is not a valid Module. Fixed: Needed to move it into the same folder as the Vassal application.

Edit: How do I make and use a deck?  Are there already cards in the game?  Like maybe some of the real cards?

Edit:  OMG!  There's a tutorial!  yea... I'll look at that later I guess... night.

Archived