Night vs. Smear [Pokemon Splice Comp]

Night

Which splice do you like more?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which splice do you like more?

This weab funk Smear challenged me to a splice battle, I accepted. You decide who made the better splice.

x_Jw_YKb_A.png          Jy_Kr8nf.png?noCache=1457929560        m_ZTrt_PO.png?noCache=1457929560          Sdj_BSm6.png?noCache=1457929560         YLOTUui.png?noCache=1457929560       

1                                                                   2  

First to get 7 votes wins.

Loser writes the winner a romantic poem and posts it in General for all to see.

I'm not exactly informed about the subject of artistic design, but I've gotta go with #2.

I like the first one, but I feel like it does too much. Like, idk, the cannon from Magmortar in addition to the Drapion claw just feels like overkill, the legs being off colors bothers me, and it just feels a bit cramped.

#2 looks a bit more basic, but not in a bad way. It feels majestic yet unnerving, and reminds me of something... I can't quite place it, but it feels like a real design, though maybe a bit too unnerving for one.

If it wasn't for the line about the poem I would have walked away without voting but gogogo

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that while #2 looks more inspiring and original, the designs imprinted on the body are a bit of a turn-off

Meanwhile, I've always loved the design of Magmortor and Electivire, and seeing them combined while facing that which lacked of #2, #1 it gmv

btw, love the rip Achievement Hunter VS

Have to vote for 2.

While I love the idea of combining Magmorter and Electrivire, I feel like trying to add in Drapion kinda clogged up the overall design and it just felt like of... Busy. I liked it with the legs, but adding the extra claw seemed like a bit too much.

I really like how sleek the second one is, and using Liepard as the base for it was a good idea. I really like how well the pieces merge together too.

I feel like 1 took a risk and I respect that, I just feel like it didn't really pay off here.

Nighteroni wins

That literally took all of 15 minutes, the best part being how much sheet he was talking beforehand.

Honestly though, for two kids who haven't done this in years, I think they both turned out fairly well. 

Go write that poem kiddo.

So what IS the second one?

I've figured out Liepard, Yamask, and Cincinno, plus I think the tail is Audino, but... What's the fire? I considered chandelure, but it seems too big and high enough quality to not be.

he asked me the same thing before I posted the thread

the only one I actually knew the name of was rapidash tbh, the new pokemon look pretty sick though so I used a lot of those

rapidash (flame), purple and yellow fox thing (body), ghost thing (creepy mask), a deer that came in 4 flavors (neck ruffles) and a green genie on a cloud (tail)

the trick I learned with splicing a long time ago is that if you use a funk ton of different pieces from different pokemon the end result looks a lot better and more impressive, plus it's just more original that way

keep in mind that I haven't played a pokemon game in years so I don't know all of the new ones, plus the resource sheets I downloaded didn't come with the names of the pokemon
neither of us know who the green genie on the cloud is

Both are fairly solid, but there's some things that both need to touch up on in different areas imho.

1 seems to have a bit of trouble choosing a light source location from what I'm seeing. The shading may have made sense on what you actually took the parts from originally, but they don't so much when you put them altogether in a new pose. Main thing I'm looking at in regards to this is the legs vs the lower torso. The light is hitting the tops of the legs and the upper abdomen, but somehow not also managing to hit the lower abdomen at the same time? Just weird stuff. Also the Electrivire stuff coming out of the shoulders defo does not work, looks unnatural and forced.

2 seems to have a few anatomy issues, although that may just be a personal thing. This is something that's probably better demonstrated in the form of a picture than in the form of writing.

T1yX6pJ.png

These parts in particular only make sense on a larger frame. Since it went down to a small frame, it now looks unnatural and you need to scratch it to a small version of itself to make it look more natural. I decided to do like 10 minutes worth of scratching to it to fix some of the bulkyness issues it was having (nothing particularly amazing, just rough stuff) to demonstrate what I mean. Nothing perfect, but enough to show what I mean.

Xe7BKxG.png

Overall though, they're both good conceptual designs. 1 feels like it tried to do way too much with it and I'm still not entirely sure on the Electrivity shoulder parts, 2 is a sick design though. Keep it up, both of you.

Good lesson in the importance of scaling consideration young kook. 

What programs do you use by the way?

I legit use Paint for splices and stuff like that. I used some more advanced stuff with Josh in the past, but I always go back to Paint because of how much more simple it is. This should also be a lesson to everyone wanting to get into splicing that you don't need fancy software to "get good", just stick with it and you'll get better over time.

If we're scratching entirely new stuff though, I don't overly recommend it. That's the point when you probably want to be looking at some stuff because you need to be keeping track of a lot of different proportions to make sure the entire thing doesn't just end up looking deformed.

I legit use Paint. I used some more advanced stuff with Josh in the past, but I always go back to Paint because of how much more simple it is. This should also be a lesson to everyone wanting to get into spriting that you don't need fancy software to "get good", just stick with it and you'll get better over time.

Pretty sure I know which one you're talking about, that funk showed me the same one. Granted, it was a pretty dope program. 

The second one honestly looks like it deserves it's own short story or something. I really like the design choice on it, and when it's over show me what base you used for that fire.

Unlike Koko however (with whom I share much of the same opinion), I think the shoulders are an awesome choice on 1. It just did not balance out with the legs, making it look very... strange. The cannon and the claw also don't balance out very well. All in all a very good attempt and plenty of ideas present (rework it somebody). But 2 to me gets it all by being so intriguing.

The second one honestly looks like it deserves it's own short story or something. I really like the design choice on it, and when it's over show me what base you used for that fire.

Unlike Koko however (with whom I share much of the same opinion), I think the shoulders are an awesome choice on 1. It just did not balance out with the legs, making it look very... strange. The cannon and the claw also don't balance out very well. All in all a very good attempt and plenty of ideas present (rework it somebody). But 2 to me gets it all by being so intriguing.

Spr_5b_078.png

Archived