(Splices)

Just as easily as the scratching of the black line makes the splice, the blatant replication of the spout sheet at the top ruins it. That's honestly the only bad part of it to be honest, if you just shaved a bit off of the top of the second and made it look more believable, this would be fairly perfect. The only other thing I would change is the connection between the arm and the shoulder, as you can see the seamless transition between the body and the tentacles, with the shell being just that, a shell covering the body makes the design look really clean and believable. The fact that the arm is just "stuck" onto the shoulders rocky exterior makes it look slightly less believable. Hope that makes sense.

Overall though, probably top 5 best splices posted here thus far. 

Impressive sheet, keep it up.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The black borders (much of which are actually really dark versions of colors in the palette) are something that I personally believe add to its aesthetic, so I'm keeping them there.

Night, that really is a ton of great advice. I will work on fixing those things you mentioned once I get a chance later today.

For now, I will just post the 2 splices I made for 1v1s.

nI7Dkqs.pngLRr9b7w.png

BVLBTkO.pngkbu8aBE.png?1

It's insignificant. The border on the bottom left is needlessly thick. I wonder how it would look fixed.

As I mentioned before, this is made up of several layered forretress shells scratched together. I must have missed that durring cleanup, it should be easy to fix.

You may have also shaded a pixel too dark on the top...eye.

Since the majority of the splice is turned from its original orientation, I stormy the beget post of half an hour sharing and reshading until I had something I was satisfied with. I must have missed that pixel in the final cut.

Thanks for having such specific and useful pointers. I had a lot of fun messing with the concept of this one, so nailing down the execution is worth the effort.

I don't know how many people know this, but you can rotate in specific degrees with the skew tool by making the second number the same as the first though negative. You might be able to add more personality to your pieces with this.

I'm not sure why, but I prefer my splices to have easily recognizable components, so that sort of thing would cause warping I'm not a fan of. I will definitely try it next time i have a limb at a slightly wrong angle, though, thanks.

I'd like to see the shoulder texture match up with that of the main body shell texture. In this way the whole piece blends a lot more. Maybe make the arms a tad more tentacle like?

Also regarding those head vents, is it curving upward from the back or around to the forehead?

I'd like to see the shoulder texture match up with that of the main body shell texture. In this way the whole piece blends a lot more. Maybe make the arms a tad more tentacle like?

Also regarding those head vents, is it curving upward from the back or around to the forehead?

Sure, I can fiddle with scratching the shell texture onto the shoulders.

As for the vents, it is a bit of both, but I would like to imagine a back view of this would have them going all the way down the back opening in the shell.

c4ccceba7d.png

I will add proper images later, this is just a screenshot that ought to explain my intent with my psotw sprite

Head is deoxys speed, with the ear things scratched to be longer, neck is an upside down bisharp abdomen, ring is scratched, but based on Klingklang, tail is kyurem, legs are virizion, shoulder spikes are cobalion. All connection points were scratched. Color scheme is from Klingklang, but the pure is from deoxys and the red was just from the paint palette.

Considering I got second and lost to the best sprite that has been posted yet, I am really happy with how things turned out.

• 5 months later...

Archived