[Written] Fossil Dyna

CobaltCavalier

Decided to make some friends for Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo. First post here, so let me know how they are!

Fossil Dyna Stego

Level 4 EARTH Rock/Effect

1100 ATK 1400 DEF

Neither player can Special Summon monsters. If this card was Normal Summoned this turn: you can Normal Summon 1 "Fossil Dyna" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)

Fossil Dyna Opteryx

Level 4 EARTH Rock/Effect

1500 ATK 1000 DEF

Neither player can Special Summon monsters. If you would Tribute Summon a "Fossil Dyna" monster, you can use this card in your hand as tribute.

Fossil Dyna Allosaur

Level 6 EARTH Rock/Effect

2000 ATK 1900 DEF

Neither player can Special Summon monsters. Every time a monster is Normal Summoned, this card gains 100 ATK. When this card attacks a defense position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

Fossil Dyna Tyranno

Level 8 EARTH Rock/Effect

2600 ATK 2100 DEF

Neither player can Special Summon monsters. This card gains 200 ATK times the number of tributes used to summon this card. If this card destroys a Special Summoned monster by battle, inflict LP damage equal to half the ATK of the destroyed monster. You can only control 1 face-up "Fossil Dyna Tyranno".

Fossil Dyna Nychus

Rank 5 EARTH Rock/Effect

1900 ATK 1400 DEF

2 Level 5 Rock-type Monsters

Neither player can Special Summon monsters. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card; for the rest of your turn, you can Tribute Summon Rock-type monsters for 1 less tribute. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)

Re-Evolution

Normal Spell

Target 2 monsters with the same Attribute and Type. Then, overlay them and Xyz Summon 1 Xyz Monster with the same Attribute and Type as the 2 monsters (Level does not matter). This does not count as a Special Summon. You can only use the effect of "Re-Evolution" once per turn.

Dyna-Mite!

Normal Trap

Destroy one "Fossil Dyna" monster you control. Then, destroy one card your opponent controls (does not target) and inflict LP damage equal to the ATK of the "Fossil Dyna" monster you destroyed. You can only activate 1 "Dyna-Mite!" per turn.

This deck is super lit 

Stego is definitely helpful and well-written. its stats are fair, and it goes along with the theme nicely. 

Opteryx is a bit weird, since I can't recall anything being used as tribute from your hand, and thus the wording appears awkward. 

If you would Tribute Summon a "Fossil Dyna" monster, you can use this card in your hand as tribute.

I'd try this

Allosaur is also worded awkwardly.

When this card attacks a defense position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent

Tyranno would be dead weight in your hand, to be quite frank, so I'd make him easier to get out or have a better effect.

If I hadn't read Re-evolution, I wouldn't have realized that Nychus could actually be summoned. Bear in mind that there is no way to search this card, or, now that I mention it, anything else at all. In order to maintain your field presence, you'll need protection and searching.

Also, not sure how special summoning by a spell effect doesn't count as a special summon, since that's what you're doing. Another way to avoid that kind of situation might be necessary.

Dyna-Mite! looks a bit underpowered. Icarus attack is at 3 and is inherently better due to having 2 targets instead of just one. However (unless this card is just worded like the old ones), but this actually doesn't target, which makes it surprisingly good. 

Basically, if you're going to make your deck tribute-centric, it definitely, definitely needs more search power. There are so many ways to easily get over the little guys and then get to Special Summon like crazy as if you weren't even playing Yugioh. Compatibility with Monarch cards (march, return, etc) would be very nice.

remember to give likes to reviews

Thanks for reviewing the archetype; admittedly I wasn't sure what direction I wanted it to go in, whether to follow the older-style Yu-Gi-Oh! with the lack of searchers whatnot but I feel that's contradicted by the unconventional cards. 

Opteryx is a bit weird, since I can't recall anything being used as tribute from your hand, and thus the wording appears awkward. 

Allosaur is also worded awkwardly.

I've taken your advice and and have edited the phrasing of the two. They sounded pretty awkward, just didn't know how to fix them.

Tyranno would be dead weight in your hand, to be quite frank, so I'd make him easier to get out or have a better effect.

If I hadn't read Re-evolution, I wouldn't have realized that Nychus could actually be summoned. Bear in mind that there is no way to search this card, or, now that I mention it, anything else at all. In order to maintain your field presence, you'll need protection and searching.
Also, not sure how special summoning by a spell effect doesn't count as a special summon, since that's what you're doing. Another way to avoid that kind of situation might be necessary.

I guess I could give Tyranno a Shaddoll Construct-esque Effect, and rather have it gain 200 ATK for each tribute, make it lose 200 ATK for each tribute not used (hence you could summon it without tributes), but that would make its ATK rather pitiful. 

Perhaps Re-Evolution should do something with negating effects temporarily? Originally, Nychus was going to add a "Fossil Dyna" card to the hand which could be summoned without tributes, but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. Otherwise, I think Chronomaly decks can summon Nychus.

I've taken your advice and and have edited the phrasing of the two. They sounded pretty awkward, just didn't know how to fix them.

Dyna-Mite! looks a bit underpowered. Icarus attack is at 3 and is inherently better due to having 2 targets instead of just one. However (unless this card is just worded like the old ones), but this actually doesn't target, which makes it surprisingly good.

Basically, if you're going to make your deck tribute-centric, it definitely, definitely needs more search power. There are so many ways to easily get over the little guys and then get to Special Summon like crazy as if you weren't even playing Yugioh. Compatibility with Monarch cards (march, return, etc) would be very nice.

I've fixed Dyna-Mite! to clarify that it doesn't target, but yeah, I thought about Icarus Attack when designing Dyna-Mite! to make some sort of distinction between them. Also, I changed it to DEF as no "Fossil Dyna" monster has necessarily high DEF.

I'm honestly not sure if I want them to fit into today's meta or whether I want them to be a part of a set separate to the existing Yu-Gi-Oh! world, where the speed of the deck wouldn't be so critical. Otherwise, yeah, Monarch-support would be neat and I also tried setting it up so that Monarchs couldn't abuse Dynas either.

Archived