[spoiler=v1]1opvk6.jpg

akzl3q.jpg

[spoiler=Pokemon used:]

Wormadam Grass (base)

Darkrai (arms)

Roserade (flowers)

Mismagius (dress thing)

Empoleon (head parts)

Well, I watched night's vid and damn son, Guess what I made. Did a very minuscule amount of scratch shading on the arms. Blah blah graphics stuff this was fun.

EDIT: did some more scratching to pattern and shade, did some bordering, recolored stuff a bit.

Fight and Flight

16ko1i0.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used:]

Castform Snow

Shedinja

Metang

Reuniclus

Tornadus Therian

Shieldon

Scratch-Extended Shieldon's band thing a lil, Recolored Castforom's headswirl bottom puff to exclude the head, did a minimal shading job on the metang parts.

Welp, That Happened

iqwhi1.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Tropius

Cherrim Sunny

Breloom

Tangrowth

Swalot

Started as detatching Cherrim's face and scratch-extending the petals, putting it on swalot, then doing the rest and essentially scratching the neck by butchering swalot. Ripipp swalot. Also this one's kinda basic simply because it's like 5:30 AM here.

The Graceful Lancer

4gtgjq.jpg

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Mothim

Foretress

Kingdra

Phione

Mantine

Lanturn

Played around with skewing a bit, which resulted in kindra's head becoming the neato lance/ claw you see before you. I know I could probably do a better coloring job of it, but I'm feeling lazy after working on this for an hour or more.

Deerly Departed

2mctxyx.png

Beheeyem

Sableye

Liepard

Chimecho

Decided to go a lil more basic. Skewed Liepard's tail to make the horn-things and the arm on our left. Extended beheeyem's dress/ peacoat with the very end of chimecho's tail. Did a lil bit of shading all around and some scratch work on the left horn-thing.

Cocky Fighter

2hhzjf9.png

Mienshao

Machamp

Darmanitan

Throh

Making pants out of Mienshao's arm flaps was really fun, and I hand shaded them, too. This one was really basic but over all one of my favs so far.

Her Royal Squirmyness

2zeh3wo.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Gothitelle
Cryogonal
Frilish Male
Cresselia
Beheeyem
Chimecho

[spoiler=Era 2]

Dream Fighter

15yvs4m.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Uxie

Tyroge

Happiny

Mantine

Monstrous Maw

t0ng9z.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Beldum

Clampearl

Loudred

Trapinch

Zubat

Bug Barron

fpauzc.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Durant
Wynaut
Milotic
Deoxys regular
Gulpin

Honorable mention: Sigilyph for providing color

[spoiler=Era 3]

Pastel Pachyderm

i6m9nq.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Gastrodon West

Stantler

Houndoom

Buizel

Celebi

Giga Made Me Do It

CV8BRYF.png

[spoiler=Pokemon used:]
Steelix
Suicune
Metang
Bronzong
Metang
Sigilyph

Cute Collision

Ag75Pnd.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Deino
Sentret
Snorlax
Litwick

Hey Big Head

DTeiOi4.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Snorlax
Steelix
Salamence
Seismitoad

[spoiler=Era 4]

Bronze Age

opznkqQ.png

1mIfu6s.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Jirachi

Xatu

Jynx

G7yGVUV.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Metagross

Spiritomb

Raichu

Ludicolo

xV2VR7p.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Maractus

Feraligatr

Lanturn

Stunfisk

NsmN5D5.png

[spoiler=Pokemon Used]

Dusclops

Ambipom

Seadra

Gallade

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of areas on this sprite that don't have borders. Mainly on the dress.

I can see what you mean.

Also, I would appreciate not only what is flawed, but what you think is good about it, too.

I'll do corrections and maybe another sprite when I get home.

Also, I would appreciate not only what is flawed, but what you think is good about it, too.

I'm glad we're on the same page. Don't worry, I'll tell you what's good about it eventually. I'm just used to giving the good reviews after the flaws are fixed. Unfortunately, some spriters don't take their work seriously. They simply slap stuff on, hope for praise, and disregard the tips of the viewers. If I commend a sprite, I want it to be based on the fact that you really tried your best. I'm not saying I expect beginners to be perfect. I just want to know that they care before I tell them how much I care. 

1st looks completely unnatural and you forced too much stuff onto it. The roses are the biggest thing ruining it because it just doesn't feel like it fits. The shading on the arms is also pretty bad because it doesn't blend very well. It's also near enough mirrored on both arms, which gives the perspective of two different light sources. Mirroring is a pretty big no-no, for future reference. The dress is the second thing I have a problem with, because you have to look at the kind of pose you're working with is. This is best demonstrated with a picture.

VA4dnjF.png

Wormadam is in an upright position, while Mismagius is leaning slightly inward. When you combine these positions together, you get a really awkward looking pose that doesn't look correct. More of a nitpick than anything, but definitely something to consider in the future.

The 2nd is the best of them, but then there are some pretty big issues with shading again. I can't even tell where the light source IS in this one, the colours are just kind of all over the place and doing their own thing because both sides of it are illuminated but his front isn't but kind of is at the same time? Nice conceptually, not a fan of the arch thing though.

The last one feels forced by a huuuuuuuuge margin. The neck needs a lot of work, it looks like you got a base from something else and enlarged it due to a lot of the unnecessary pixels found around the edges. The head isn't placed properly on the neck, as the neck finishes above where the head is placed which isn't how anatomy is supposed to work. The Tangrowth arms sprouting from Cherim's petals also don't look like they work, just feels like they're there to be there. Shading is a bit better on this one than the others, but definitely needs work.

Final notes: People seem to be focusing on making the biggest things possible for some reason, which is a nice goal and all but you shouldn't be diving into the deep end to try and fit as many things as possible on at a time at the very beginning. You aren't an expert on scratching or shading yet, you're still learning. Try and limit your pool down a bit more to 3 at a time so that you don't go too over the top with it so that you can learn first, then start getting more advanced as you get better.

1st looks completely unnatural and you forced too much stuff onto it. The roses are the biggest thing ruining it because it just doesn't feel like it fits. The shading on the arms is also pretty bad because it doesn't blend very well. It's also near enough mirrored on both arms, which gives the perspective of two different light sources. Mirroring is a pretty big no-no, for future reference. The dress is the second thing I have a problem with, because you have to look at the kind of pose you're working with is. This is best demonstrated with a picture.

VA4dnjF.png

Wormadam is in an upright position, while Mismagius is leaning slightly inward. When you combine these positions together, you get a really awkward looking pose that doesn't look correct. More of a nitpick than anything, but definitely something to consider in the future.

The 2nd is the best of them, but then there are some pretty big issues with shading again. I can't even tell where the light source IS in this one, the colours are just kind of all over the place and doing their own thing because both sides of it are illuminated but his front isn't but kind of is at the same time? Nice conceptually, not a fan of the arch thing though.

The last one feels forced by a huuuuuuuuge margin. The neck needs a lot of work, it looks like you got a base from something else and enlarged it due to a lot of the unnecessary pixels found around the edges. The head isn't placed properly on the neck, as the neck finishes above where the head is placed which isn't how anatomy is supposed to work. The Tangrowth arms sprouting from Cherim's petals also don't look like they work, just feels like they're there to be there. Shading is a bit better on this one than the others, but definitely needs work.

Final notes: People seem to be focusing on making the biggest things possible for some reason, which is a nice goal and all but you shouldn't be diving into the deep end to try and fit as many things as possible on at a time at the very beginning. You aren't an expert on scratching or shading yet, you're still learning. Try and limit your pool down a bit more to 3 at a time so that you don't go too over the top with it so that you can learn first, then start getting more advanced as you get better.

I can see what you mean about a lot of the things. 

I don't really see the awkward pose, though.

I also don't know how to shade with other art, so pixel shading is gonna take some work, which I can accept. 

For the last one, yeah, It was late and I didn't sleep when I should've, so that happened, though I think that I was trying to have a really snake-y neck to it? Or maybe more of a swan-y one? Something that looks like it shouldn't be right but somehow is. One of those things. 

If you were going for a swan neck, then it should have been making its way back down by the point the head attaches. The way that you've done it, however, makes it look as if the neck is instead beginning to level out and go forward. Also a swan neck on that body would look hella awks.

I'm actually loving that purple one. Well with the exception of those arm nub things. Lol. 

I imagine that the nubs are its actual arms and that the swirls are the beginning of the "fighting" arms. 

The roses bugged me too, I just wasn't sure how to phrase it.

I am personally a fan of the pose, as Miss bends in a similar manner at the neck.

Looking at it now, I can definietly see how forced they are. If only they weren't so big, I'm sure they'd look semi-nice... Oh yeah, roselia.

If you were going for a swan neck, then it should have been making its way back down by the point the head attaches. The way that you've done it, however, makes it look as if the neck is instead beginning to level out and go forward. Also a swan neck on that body would look hella awks.

I now cannot stop laughing at it because I imagine that it has spotted me below and is curving around to come greet me with the voice of the devil, but cuter. 

VA4dnjF.png

It's nice to know I'm not the only detailed art critic here. Your help sure saves me the trouble of giving these fellows pointers.

Hate to double-post but...

iqwhi1.png

This happened. 

I like how you did the tail placement.  Having the hands on the pedals looks really odd.

Also, the neck and face are not the same color as the body. There are also a few gaps on the neck.

Archived