This card is basically the Time Warner Cable of Yugioh: either you have never encountered it, or it has ruined your life.

ChainMaterial-PTDN-EN-SP-1E.png

Any time you Fusion Summon a monster this turn, you can remove from play, from your side of the fieldDeckhand or GraveyardFusion Material Monsters that are listed on the Fusion Monster Card, and use them as Fusion Material Monsters. You cannot attack during the turn this card is activated. If you used this effect for a Fusion Summon, the Summoned Fusion Monster is destroyed during the End Phase.

This is a card so badly designed it went from being completely worthless to a degenerate sack card over the course of two generations. Its biggest problems come from its interactions with Fusion Gate, since together they effectively allow you endless Fusion Summons until you run out of material... until you summon Elemental HERO Electrum and reset everything. It's been part of multiple burn loops as of the Xyz Era that involve Gustav Max, almost all of which form an infinite loop that, once started, cannot be stopped. It's also associated with many a Blaze Fenix loop.

So far it's never been consistent enough to matter, but can we trust it to stay that way?

f u c k i n g e l e c t r u m .

I remember getting FTKed by Gustavs with this deck (or something), which was really obnoxious, because I was like 12-13 years old and just picked up barely useable madolche with butlerusk or something.

So yeah, definitely a usually useless card, but if you fought it, it ruined your life.

It's not that amazing, since you can't attack, but I feel like the ability to use fusion materials from the deck is ridiculous given a good situation. On the bright side, there's not too much you can actually make with it at the time. 

At least it's not Magical Scientist.

Ah, yes, the Lethal Joke Character interactions - cards that are terrible on their own, but as part of a super-specific combo, can prove to be your downfall.

Unless you're going for the FTK, there's no need for Temple of Kings or Makyura. You can just set it from your hand at the opponent's End Phase by virtue of Dust Tornado to prepare the combo right there and then.

But which part of the FTK do we hit, if at all? The source of burn damage that circumvents all the card's drawbacks, or the card itself in order to preserve the monsters?

Ah, yes, the Lethal Joke Character interactions - cards that are terrible on their own, but as part of a super-specific combo, can prove to be your downfall.

Unless you're going for the FTK, there's no need for Temple of Kings or Makyura. You can just set it from your hand at the opponent's End Phase by virtue of Dust Tornado to prepare the combo right there and then.

But which part of the FTK do we hit, if at all? The source of burn damage that circumvents all the card's drawbacks, or the card itself in order to preserve the monsters?

OCG went for Blaze, but that was likely due to the Noden-Gate ftk more than Chain Mat.

Just limit Blaze, there's no good reason to have that at three

Just as much reasoning as there is for "clearing the banlist"

Fenix at three will always be a problem. First it was Dancer then it was Noden (who deserves a ban anyway)

Might as well fix it now than before. We should have banned life Equalizer a long time ago and not had to deal with Monarch's gay ftk

Chain mat is as close to Future Fusion as we'll ever get and It does have a pretty neat interaction with Deck Fusion that we shouldn't have to lose IMO

This card has pretty much no solid or fair interaction to work alongside it that is worth it. Fusion Gate is a card of the same caliber. Both cards are worthy of the axe realistically. Rather comparable to the Explosion Equalizer FTK in that regard, but ofc a lot less consistent. I feel something will be cracked tho eventually, just not at the moment. I see it MAYBE happening though in the TCG eventually. They got Monarch FTK to win an event and go top 16 at a YCS, so they oughta find a way to crack this one......

This card has pretty much no solid or fair interaction to work alongside it that is worth it. 

The difference between pretty much and none is what got Life Equal the ax and not this

Like there was a period in February 2014 where people would main or side Self-Destruct button to find out if they were playing Chronomally or Rulers since that diff would drastically change how you side...and still have a 3 games to get two wins

Don't be so quick to hang cards

The difference between pretty much and none is what got Life Equal the ax and not this

Like there was a period in February 2014 where people would main or side Self-Destruct button to find out if they were playing Chronomally or Rulers since that diff would drastically change how you side...and still have a 3 games to get two wins

Don't be so quick to hang cards

Enlighten me on the logic of this SDB siding. Not being sarcastic I am legit curious. That being said, the problem comes closer to the word practical before actual use. You're not wrong, just stretching here

To be fair, this has a really f***ing cool interaction with Vehicroid Connection Zone, which can then banish 5 sproids to recycle with Chanbara/Omega/Leviair/whatever

I legit wish this was practical or playable in some manner.....

Enlighten me on the logic of this SDB siding. Not being sarcastic I am legit curious. That being said, the problem comes closer to the word practical before actual use. You're not wrong, just stretching here

I legit wish this was practical.....

So there was a deck variant of Chronomally Artifacts, called Machu Machu burn centered on #33, that would burn significantly and put around 7K damage a turn. The other major deck was Dragon Rulers where Ravine and Shrine were @3, Rulers @2, Trish@1 and Rejuv, Sarc, Swords@1. It was pretty hard to find a good overlapping side card between the two, so what certain players did was main deck Self-Destruct so you could end the game upon Machu burn or a ruler OTK, and startfresh. It was sided as well for similar but weaker logic. Eventually replaced with Rainbow Life however. But it did see play for a fair bit

Case in point, this is what one OCG player came up with to make up for the Reasoning and Monster Gate limits

1977024_1041232635943335_439674788112272

Flash+Chain if you don't get the combo

https://twitter.com/Runo_YP/status/710663775293034497tps://twitter.com/Runo_YP/status/710663775293034497

So, during the opponent's Draw Phase, banish 10 Infernoids for the fusion summon to dump both players' hands and re-set up your graveyard in case the fusion craps out, and banish Void Seer from the graveyard to stop the fusion from being destroyed at end of turn? Seems legit, although it still looks VERY susceptible to Burning Abyss and/or the opponent going first.

On the one hand, this IS an FTK deck, essentially, which means, from a design point of view, it shouldn't be considered towards Chain Material's "saving grace". On the other hand, competitive banlists (especially OCG Konami's) generally aren't tailored to maintain good design but rather to maintain balance in the competitive field. (This is why Fusion Gate + Chain Material has avoided the list for so long.) I doubt OCG will do anything about that combo, but if TCG eventually does do something about that combo, what gets hit will depend on the tournament results of the new Infernoid deck: if the new Infernoid deck is powerful enough to get hurt, we'll likely see Chain Material and some Infernoids banned; otherwise we'll see Fusion Gate banned instead, since that card so far has had no competitive value.

To be fair, this has a really f***ing cool interaction with Vehicroid Connection Zone, which can then banish 5 sproids to recycle with Chanbara/Omega/Leviair/whatever

You wouldn't be able to use Connection Zone unfortunately as Barbaroid isn't a Vehicroid, but yeah this does seem fun.

Case in point, this is what one OCG player came up with to make up for the Reasoning and Monster Gate limits

1977024_1041232635943335_439674788112272

Flash+Chain if you don't get the combo

https://twitter.com/Runo_YP/status/710663775293034497tps://twitter.com/Runo_YP/status/710663775293034497

this came to my head the moment i saw the thread. also, fluffals could use it with wolf to send as many fluffals as they want from deck to grave couldn't they? probably not meta since it's still leave you open, but definitely worth testing for the lulz..

Archived