Brussels Terror Attacks

Saiba Aisu

Not even a year after 13 November in Paris, these sons of b****es are back at it again...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/mar/22/brussels-airport-explosions-live-updates

In between the airport and metro attacks, the casualties are currently reported as follows:

- At least 26 dead

- 146 injured

Thoughts? Concerns? I'm not normally vulgar, but this has me very upset. Terrorists can go f*ck themselves.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really upsetting. It'll probably have pretty big repercussions here in the UK. I'd like to say it won't affect the EU vote, but it probably will. London is obviously also a pretty big target too.

Tragic. And the fact that it's quite difficult to prevent as there's always some slippage through the gaps is a little distressing.

Honestly, terror attacks are just disgusting, especially given that it's only been a little over 3 months since Paris got hit. Granted, not as many people died this time, but either way a good amount of people died or got hurt in whatever shape or form.

Given that an IS flag was found, assume it was retaliation for the recent arrest of that man they captured Saturday who was linked to the Paris attacks.

But yeah, as Rai mentioned, while governments can do what they can to monitor potential terrorists, said terror organizations are getting smarter with how they can conceal their fighters in broad daylight. As a result, they don't set off any obvious alarms and when people least expect it, they do things. Would be nice if IS can be wiped out for good, but that won't happen for a while.

While the attacks are disgusting, the idiots who shout "close our borders!" and such like are equally at fault. That's the exact kind of reaction these attacks are designed to provoke, to spread xenophobia and to divide people. There's not even any evidence that these attacks were carried out by refugees/immigrants, so not only are these reactions exactly what the attackers want, they are completely misguided and illogical.

While the attacks are disgusting, the idiots who shout "close our borders!" and such like are equally at fault. That's the exact kind of reaction these attacks are designed to provoke, to spread xenophobia and to divide people. There's not even any evidence that these attacks were carried out by refugees/immigrants, so not only are these reactions exactly what the attackers want, they are completely misguided and illogical.

Isolationism=Xenophobia now?

From a utilitarian perspective, if you have each member of x country being valued at 100 times y member from another country, it might just be simple logic rather than xenophobia

The very notion of one person having 100 times the value of another based sheerly on location is xenophobic in and of itself, not to mention that the number would be better placed in the thousands, based on the number of refugees.

From a utilitarian perspective, if you have each member of x country being valued at 100 times y member from another country, it might just be simple logic rather than xenophobia 

It's not logic if the principle the argument is based upon is completely illogical. To try and argue that one person can/should be valued any more than another based entirely on the place they live is both flawed logically and is also xenophobic.

funk off with the political bullshit.  Lives were lost.  People were killed.  It hasn't been more than a funking day.  Shut the funk up.

No.

This is an extremely important political issue, arguably the most important, and is closely entertwined with the attacks, both in Paris and Brussels. Turning a blind eye to it because people died will just make things worse.

f*** off with the political bullshit.  Lives were lost.  People were killed.  It hasn't been more than a f***ing day.  Shut the f*** up.

It's this exact attitude that makes governments so ineffective at tackling terrorism. Everyone spends far too long wallowing in the emotional impact of such events and they fail to actually tackle the problem rationally. You see people like David Cameron turning up to memorials looking all sorry and upset but it was the actions/inactions of their government that leads to these incidents. It's unhelpful and hypocritical. The way to react to these events is to stir up discussion about what to actually do about it so it doesn't happen again, not to sit around feeling sorry for yourself.

funk off with the political bullshit.  Lives were lost.  People were killed.  It hasn't been more than a funking day.  Shut the funk up.

Yeah, I'm sorry, and I won't bring it up after this. But the fear is tomorrow it could be us, so we have no time to mourn. 

It's not logic if the principle the argument is based upon is completely illogical. To try and argue that one person can/should be valued any more than another based entirely on the place they live is both flawed logically and is also xenophobic.

It's not. A person who has help'd grow a country's GDP and invests in it's economy is worth more than some rando who doesn't

It's not Xenophobia, it's economics. I want to protect my investors, not those from another company (which is what a country really is)

I don't fear them, I don't hate them. But with them comes an increased probability of Daesh infiltrators. I simply value people who have already put work into this country than those who have not

It's disturbing how my mind works with this stuff. Cause my first reaction is "only 31, thankfully". Like, what do I expect, hundreds?

Each life has so much to it and each one is terrible. Yet...idk

Anyway this is really tragic, for sure, and shocking. Was there any hint this might happen before and I hadn't paid attention?

It's disturbing how my mind works with this stuff. Cause my first reaction is "only 31, thankfully". Like, what do I expect, hundreds?

Each life has so much to it and each one is terrible. Yet...idk

Anyway this is really tragic, for sure, and shocking. Was there any hint this might happen before and I hadn't paid attention?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desensitization_(psychology)

Anything less than 9/11 range only angers instead of saddens me

Yeah, I'm sorry, and I won't bring it up after this. But the fear is tomorrow it could be us, so we have no time to mourn. 

It's not. A person who has help'd grow a country's GDP and invests in it's economy is worth more than some rando who doesn't

It's not Xenophobia, it's economics. I want to protect my investors, not those from another company (which is what a country really is)

I don't fear them, I don't hate them. But with them comes an increased probability of Daesh infiltrators. I simply value people who have already put work into this country than those who have not

What absolute bollocks. A person's value isn't based on how big a cog they are in an economic machine. A person shouldn't be judged by whether they're born in a certain place to a certain family with a certain economic class, they have no control over that. To say otherwise is to have absolutely no empathy or humanity.

Do you know who said it best? Mewtwo did: "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are". 

To try and argue that not letting in refugees for economic reasons is laughable. For starters, the safety of the vulnerable is far more important than the state or a developed economy. Secondly, allowing refugees into a country will quite definitely improve the economy. An influx of people willing to work and contribute should surely be welcomed?

Also, there's no proof that refugees are the people carrying out these attacks. The Paris attackers were French citizens and don't know who the Brussels attackers were, so you can't make any assumptions.

What absolute bollocks. A person's value isn't based on how big a cog they are in an economic machine. A person shouldn't be judged by whether they're born in a certain place to a certain family with a certain economic class, they have no control over that. To say otherwise is to have absolutely no empathy or humanity.

Do you know who said it best? Mewtwo did: "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are". 

To try and argue that not letting in refugees for economic reasons is laughable. For starters, the safety of the vulnerable is far more important than the state or a developed economy. Secondly, allowing refugees into a country will quite definitely improve the economy. An influx of people willing to work and contribute should surely be welcomed?

Also, there's no proof that refugees are the people carrying out these attacks. The Paris attackers were French citizens and don't know who the Brussels attackers were, so you can't make any assumptions.

That actually not true, increasing the labor force lowers the potential consumption per unit labor of the existing population. And the US government can't even feed it's own starving citizens, we cat afford to take care of others let alone give away more of our jobs to people who will accept lower wages

It's not empathy, it's utilitarian ethics, AKA logic. Mewtwo's quote agrees with me even. Because you can produce more with that gift of life, and should be prioritized more so.

Is that a chance you're willing to bet your life on?

Archived