Pokémon: Tipping Point [IC]

Draconus297

"Ours is a world populated by countless wonderful creatures known as Pokémon. We train them, care for them, battle beside them-" Professor Pine lectured, hyped up by his own lecture. He stood in front of the same desk he usually taught from, loaded with messes of paperwork and several high-end computers, with his pupils not in desks but directly in front of him.

"Stop right there," Helena interrupted. As Pine's niece, she alone among the citizens of Oryx Town was the only person who could halt Pine's famously long-winded lectures. "Why did you call us here? Me, I understand," the tall, brunette teen says with a grin, "I'm more competent than some of your assistants. But why these other two?"

"Good question, Helena," Pine praised, tousling the girl's hair as if she were a small child, "as you know, early this morning I received a small shipment. Three starter Pokémon. You see, in any child's experience of growing up, they must learn to care for a Pokémon, especially here in Teno. So, naturally, they must be started on a Pokémon journey. And, well . . . you three are top of the class, so naturally you would best be suited for such an undertaking."

"Starter Pokémon?" Helena brightened, her serious demeanor dissolving somewhat. "But that means-"

"Yes, another researcher has kindly donated three Pokémon they've caught to be given to the lab. These three are assured by valued sources to all be at the same level of strength and development, roughly speaking, and apparently were all caught inside Mt. Minos," Professor Pine nodded. "In any case, they've been transferred to data-reset Pokéballs, so as to assure they're registered to your trainer card and not theirs."

Helena almost snatched one of the red-and-white orbs from her uncle's suitcase, but is smacked away. "Just for that, you're picking last. Allow me to make introductions."

He took the leftmost ball, and pressed its button to release the contained Pokémon: a green, bipedal reptile with a long, thorny tail. It can't be more than a foot tall, standing. "Meet Rapthistle, the Large Foot Pokémon. It is a Grass-Type, apparently very sturdy and strong." The small lizard is recalled.

Professor Pine took the middle ball, and showed it off: a red, squat animal, looking like a newborn calf. "This is Bessiemer, the Flare Calf Pokémon. It's a notable Fire-Type, and a very resilient one at that." It almost reared on its hind legs like a horse, before being recalled as well.

"Lastly," Pine said, opening the last ball, "This is Laconda," he smirks, "The Ambush Pokémon. It's a Water-Type, of course, one renowned for its speed and intelligence." The small blue serpent uncoiled, looking around with its wide, curious yellow eyes. It nearly slithered away before being returned to its ball.

"Make your choice, kids," Pine smiled, offering the case and all three of its balls.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Make your choice, kids," Pine smiled, offering the case and all three 

its balls. 

Garbit's face lit-up, he already knew what pokemon he was going to choose from the the moment he saw it. "I'll take this one," he said gleefully taking the pokeball with Bessiemer in it, he thought of it as cute, which whould help with keeping up his ruse, plus he just had a thing for fire types. He soon opened up the ball and started rubbing up agaist it. "You're just so cute, yes you ar..." The cow was almost enjoying the attention, untill garbit rubbing it's chin, then the cow pushed him over. "Okay, sensitive chin, got it...", Bessiemer pressed the button on the pokeball, and went back inside.

“Make your choice, kids,”

Ashley, who at this point was only half paying attention to the Professor’s lecture, took a moment to realize what he had said. When the Professor showed the first Pokémon, apparently called Rapthistle, she thought it would be her choice, but the last one, Laconda, was something else. The way it looked around, taking in everything it saw, got her attention. Ashley hadn’t looked into which Pokémon could be found in Teno, so it was all new to her, and this one especially interested her. He had said it was known for being quick and smart, which sounded like valuable traits for her new partner.

“I’m not normally a fan of Water-Types, but I’ll make an exception this time, I suppose...” She said, opening the rightmost ball then crouching down to give the Pokémon a pat on the head.

“You’re a Laconda, right?” Ashley smiled at the Pokémon. “You’re my first Pokémon, you know? I hope we get along, so try to keep up.” She , inviting the snake-like Pokémon to slither onto her arm. It looked at her for a moment and eventually crawled onto her arm, finally resting to drape itself over her neck. She stood up and secured Laconda’s Poké Ball onto the front of her bag, giving her new companion the occasional stroke or pat.

[spoiler: OOC]Are we going to get stats, natures, etc. for our Pokémon, or just wing it? Also, are you going to control our Pokémon, or do we have free reign as to how they respond? I've never done a Pokémon RP so I don't know how far our control extends before it counts as godmodding. Lastly, we can nickname our Pokémon when the time comes or do we have to stick to the 'species name' like they do in the anime? I won't post anymore OOC in this thread, but I hope you'll excuse this one time ^^

Neos had only been in this region for a couple of weeks now, and the Pokemon here were already making his head spin.

Holding out an much-older model of the Pokedex, a tall human with unusual neon-green eyes dressed in bright colors walked through the rural town, flipping through the digital pages of his Pokedex once more to try and find something about the creatures of the area, only to find multiple cases of 'unknown data' regarding each of the ones spotted so far. "I might have to finally get this updated," he muttered to himself before closing it and lifting his head.

It took him a week to find this Onyx Town, even by aerial means. All he knew was that it had a Pokemon Lab that he could get his 'dex updated at, though he was admittedly hesitant to do so.

“Make your choice, kids,” he heard as he quietly entered the building he thought was the town's Lab to avoid disturbing anyone who might have been busy, catching sight of a trio of kids closer to his actual age than his apparent age in front of a trio of Pokeballs and an elder man...well, compared to those around him at least. He watched as two of the kids picked up the Pokeballs for a couple of the small odd Pokemon, snickering quietly as the little cow ended up bowling over one of the kids.

"Well..." With a sheepish look did Neos bring a hand under the wide-brimmed hat he wore, lifting it partially off his head while scratching the back of his head though his wild blue hair. "If you're busy, I can come back later...I just need this old thing of mine updated," he continued once he wound up getting the professor's attention, lifting the outdated 'dex in his other hand into view.

Lodfb73.png

(I won't be drawing a pic for every post of mine, I just felt like doing it this one time. I may do another one later on in the RP with his eyes open, however...)

"An update of your Pokédex? My my, aren't we a newcomer!" Pine laughs. "I am Professor Edward Pine, the local Pokémon Professor. It would be no small issue. What data are you missing, might I ask?" The short, brown-haired man asks, combing his somewhat wild hair back with her fingers. "Depending upon what you are missing, I could transfer the data from my personal 'Dex in a few minutes, maybe half an hour."

"Well, then I'm taking Rapthistle," Helena takes the final remaining ball, examining it under intense scrutiny. She immediately flips open her Pokédex, and speaks into its microphone. "Search data: Rapthistle."

<<Rapthistle, the Large Foot Pokémon. Grass-Type. While small, Rapthistle display incredible strength. Even at a young age, they can crush stone with just their feet. Evolves into Netteryx.>>

"Strong, huh?" She chuckles, releasing the tiny green reptile. "Let's let you showcase your strength. How about a battle?" She asks, and the Rapthistle cocks its head to the side wondering exactly who and what it will battle. Sky blue eyes examine the room, glance at Garbit with his Bessiemer and Ashley with her Laconda.

“How about a battle?”

“I thought you’d never ask,” Ashley answered smugly. She would’ve asked herself if nobody had offered. “But first, excuse us, we need to talk strategy.” She knelt down and put Laconda down from around her neck.

“Alright, this is our first battle together, so let’s make this count. She has the type advantage, but if you’re as fast as the Prof. says we should be okay. Just try to dodge her and listen for me. If I tell you something you’ve gotta trust me, got it?” The small snake nodded. “Alright, let’s do this, squirt!”

Ashley blinked, and then burst out laughing.

“I called you squirt, and you’re a water type! I didn’t even plan that! Sorry about that. Ready,” She had to collect herself for a second. “Squirt?” Laconda rolled its eyes at her and got ready for the coming battle.

“Oh right.” How did she do it? She thought, flipping open her own PokéDex “Uh… PokéDex, search data: Laconda.”

“How about a battle?”

“I thought you’d never ask, but first, excuse us, we need to talk strategy."

'This will be interesting' Garbit thought, but then he started worrying, 'Both Ashly and Helena seem to have took off well with there new starters, but now there battling and all I have is a bruised rib and ego..' He then noticed the Pokeball that contain 'his' starter, Bessiemer, in it was shaking violently on the ground. "Uh," He Reached down to open the pokeball, but when he did, Bessiemer jumped out with such great force that, again, Garbit was Knocked down, then it started charging towards Rapthiste and Helena, "Wait!"

"Depending upon what you are missing, I could transfer the data from my personal 'Dex in a few minutes, maybe half an hour."

"I've...well, I've already seen a lot of Pokemon here that aren't native to either Kanto or Jhoto, admittedly," Neos said before opening his neon-green eyes and looking down towards the ground. "At least having it updated to register the Pokemon from here would help greatly."

"Wait!"

Neos lifted his head before the dark-green pupils landed upon the charging cow Pokemon.

To him, it looked like it was getting ready to ram straight into the green lizard and its human. With less than a split second, Neos also charged towards the young calf, hooking his long arms under its forelimbs with a swooping action and picking it up off the ground with practiced ease. He leaned back a bit with the potentially-wiggling mooer's back against his chest. "Easy there, little one," he remarked before daring to lower it back down to the ground gently a couple of seconds later. "Don't know what has you charging, but if it's a battle you want, you're gonna have to wait."

Then, the realization that he just did that in front of everyone hit him hard and immediately straighten up with a sheepish look on his face and his hands crossed behind his back. "Sorry, thought there as gonna be unneeded violence for a second."

<<Laconda, the Ambush Pokémon. Water-Type. Because of these Pokémon swim by twisting their tails, they are capable of swimming backwards, or even up waterfalls. Evolves into Storattler.>> It seems Ashley's Pokédex is programmed with Professor Pine's own voice.

"No problem, no problem," Professor Pine nods, taking Neos's Pokédex and linking it up with his own. "This transfer should only take a few minutes," he says with a smile, seemingly not caring about his pupils battling inside the lab. "You know, just the other day I almost thought I saw a Cosdrake flying around here. They're a sign of good fortune to most superstitious folks- there's a belief that their evolved form's signature attack, Cosmic Guard, grants luck!" The older man laughs. "Of course, it's merely superstition. And besides, Cosdrake alone is very, very rare. You can live your whole life in Teno without seeing one, and they don't live anywhere but here." It seems he enjoys making conversation, giving trivia.

"Alright then, Rapthistle," Helena grins, "let's go! Vine whip that little blue snake!" The verdant-green reptile nods, swinging its tail at the Laconda. Said tail visibly extends, almost appearing to be a long, thorny vine.

Helena gives Garbit a glare. "Kid, control your Pokémon! Honestly, I know you're new to this, but try to earn its respect! Otherwise, you're almost better off not being a trainer!"

"Sorry..." Garbit says sheepishly, sitting up before muttering "Though this isn't my first time... Now you," he turned to the pokemon that managed to sneak back to him, gently picking the rascal in the process. "We need to do some bounding, the easiest thing to do first is a nickname, hm... how about Cowcow?" The calf, now sitting comfortably in his lap, brushed gently agaist garbit's stomach. "Cowcow it is then, Now your 'dex entry." Garbit pulled out his pokedex, "Pokedex, search data: Bessiemer." After hearing the info, Garbit watched the battle unfold, while patting Cowcow and sensing it's desire to battle.

"I honestly don't even know what a Cosdrake is," Neos remarked. "Though, if the name's any indicator, I'm guessing they're at least Dragon-typed? Possibly also Flying-typed if it was seen in the sky?" He shrugged after asking the questions before glancing towards the human children and the three small Pokemon.

"Um...is it normal for battles to happen in a place like this," he asked of Professor Pine before glancing around at the lab itself, seeing some of the equipment around them. "It looks like there's a lot of fragile objects here."

Then Neos suddenly closed his eyes as a shudder of fear tried going up his spine, a flashback threatening to strike. No, not now, this isn't there. Lowering his head to shake his head, it was a couple of seconds before he opened his eyes, still looking towards the floor. "Oh, holy Arceus, that wasn't fair," he mumbled before looking back up towards the professor. "Also, this region's name is Teno? I..." The false human tilted his head to the side slightly while looking up towards the ceiling. "...guess that isn't too odd compared to Kanto."

"Vine whip that little blue snake!"

Ashley wasn't expecting Helena to start attacking so quickly. She had seen countless battles, but never realized how quickly everything happened when you weren't just watching from the sidelines. As the Rapthistle began to vine whip, Laconda tried its best to dodge the attacks. Ashley knew that her new companion couldn't keep dodging forever and that she would have to attack eventually, but the question was a matter of the best strategy. She should probably get Laconda to strike from range since it Rapthistle was focused on close range.

"Alright, that could work..." She muttered to herself. "Hey, squirt, er, Laconda! Use Water Gun when you see an opening!"

<<Bessiemer, the Flare Calf Pokémon. Fire-Type. While they aren't stable when walking, these Pokémon charge surprisingly well. Evolves into Lavattle.>>

"You're half right," Professor Pine chuckles, "but I'll let you look up the Pokédex entry on your own. You might be pleasantly surprised, foreigner." He shrugs at Neos's questions. "Yes, this is the Teno region. It means 'light', as the sun shines quite brightly in most parts of the region. As for the battle . . . they're children, with starter Pokémon. The damage they do will be minimal, especially considering that there's nothing fragile in Rapthistle's reach. That's the only threat, as all the tables and chairs," he knocks on his own desk, producing a metallic clank, "are metal."

The dance between Laconda's agility and Rapthistle's raw power is an interesting one, with Rapthistle's thorny tail and Laconda's thin body and water attacks making minimal contact with one another. Laconda is getting in more hits, but Rapthistle's superior bulk is enough to tank them enough to continue flailing its tail.

"Rapthistle!" Helena advises, "attack straight down!"

With that, the Grass-Type gets in its first hit, smacking Laconda to the ground.

Ashley grimaces from the harsh blow her Pokémon receives.

"Hang in there, Squirt! We can do this!" Ashley reassures, hoping that will help spur Squirt on.

She thinks about the best course of action. Clearly this will quickly become a losing battle if this keeps up, and she needs to think quickly.

"Let's see... it's tanky and close-range... I need an edge... or at least an equalizer..." Ashley mutters to herself.

"That's it!" Realization dawned.

"I hope you can manage, I'm really sorry about this if it doesn't work... Wait, why wouldn't it? Not out speeding Rapthistle isn't a problem at all!" She shakes her head to clear any doubt, and speaks up.

"Listen up, Squirt, I have an idea! Climb up onto something and use Tail Whip!"

The Laconda looked at her, wondering what she had in store, then nodded. The snake makes its way to a bookshelf as quickly as it can and deftly scales it, then starts moving its tail mesmerizingly.

Garbit looks at the battle unfolding in front of his eyes, it's majestic, the pokémon seem in sync with their trainers already.

"Listen up, Squirt, I have an idea! Climb up onto something and use Tail Whip!" The Snake went on a bookshelf and waves it's mesmerizingly

At that one moment, Garbit gets fully distracted and accidentally scratches Cowcow, they jumped up suddenly, "Not this time!" Garbit grabbed the small cow quickly this time, and gently stroked the calf to calmness. But the cow still had some spirt and nudged it's head towards the unknown stranger from before, "What?" Garbit seemed surprised "Do you want to fight him?" Cowcow's head nodded. "Well... If you insist..." Garbit picked up the calf and went to the blue haired male. "Hi," Garbit says shyly, hoping that it will get attention from the man "Well, you have a pokédex, and you handled this rascal well, witch means you're a pokémon trainer. Me and my friend here," Garbit continued pointing at Cowcow "Well mostly my friend, were wondering... if we could have a battle?"

While not completely eased with the Professor's explanation, Neos did feel a little less uneasy about the two Pokemon trying to duke it out inside the building, nodding at the Professor's words before turning fully to watch the scene.

He will admit, taking to the air in a way a non-flyer could to get some level of aerial advantage was impressive, though the nickname of 'Squirt' was slightly making him flinch. He did not want to be around when the... Laconda? When the Laconda fully evolved before being called that for the first time in the largest form.

Whatever the Distortion that would be.

"What? Do you want to fight him?" Neos felt his heart stop beating for a second in a split-moment of panic before turning towards the source of the voice, seeing the same Pokemon he swept up off its paws literally and its young trainer. "Hi," the young kid said shyly, which had him turning fully towards the duo.

"Yes?"

"Well, you have a Pokédex, and you handled this rascal well, witch means you're a Pokémon trainer. Me and my friend here..." The kid pointed towards the rather-eager bovine Pokemon. "Well mostly my friend, were wondering... if we could have a battle?"

Well, sh!t.

This was the point when he remembered that, despite the human form, he still had a scent closer to that of a Pokémon...and that little guy probably got a good whiff when he picked it up.

"Um, in all honesty, I only have one Pokemon on hand." As he said this, he tapped the white Premier Ball hanging from his belt, despite the fact that it was actually empty. "And considering the difference in power between you two, I'd be afraid of really hurting the little guy...however..."

One arm crossed in front of himself while the elbow of the other arm rested upon his wrist while resting his chin on his other balled-up hand, Neos appeared to be in thought for a few seconds before speaking. "If it really wants to get back at me for that sweep, he can try tangoing with me directly instead."

He couldn't help but allow one corner of his mouth to turn up upon the shock that was likely to come from the kid on this statement and possibly the Professor near him.

Professor Pine finally looks alarmed. "I . . . wouldn't, if I were you. Bessiemer is rather heavy, as smaller Pokemon go, and considering how fast they can move when charging you could possibly wind up with a broken leg or two."

Helena grits her teeth, and gets an idea. "Rapthistle! It's up on a bookshelf! Smack it down with your tail!"

Rapthistle shakes its head to attempt to clear it, but now its defenses are down. However, that does nothing to stop its force, and the bookshelf slowly begins to wobble, and eventually topples to the floor. As Pine indicated, the object doesn't break, but now Laconda is trapped beneath a piece of heavy metal furniture.

"There we go!" Helena says gleefully. "Now finish it off! Vine Whip!"

The green reptile's tail extends once more, attempting to smack straight down.

Amid the chaos, Neos's Pokedex beeps. <<Data Transfer: Complete. Identified Pokemon species: 843. Identified Pokemon Types: 18.>>

Even less noticed is Professor Pine's desk, which indicates that there are six Pokemon in the room- four healthy, two injured.

Garbit just stood there, eyes wide open, half in skock, half in awe, the professors words almost knocking him to the floor, "I-i don't think you've told us your name yet." Was all Garbit could muster to this brave man of a distant land, all the while not noticing Cowcow starting to use ember, that was, until they fired it, just missing and hitting a table leg instead, "What are you doing?" Questioned Garbit, no longer being able to catch the calf, it soon going as close to Neos as it can, before using tackle, completely unaware of it's 'new owner's' questioning.

"I . . . wouldn't, if I were you. Bessiemer is rather heavy, as smaller Pokemon go, and considering how fast they can move when charging you could possibly wind up with a broken leg or two."

"You're also assuming it can actually catch me, as well," Neos was quick to remark, though he was not trying to be a sass about it. He moved his leg out of the way of the sudden flicker of flame aimed at him, prompting an eyebrow raise at the fact that the little cow was not listening to its would-be partner.

<<Data Transfer: Complete. Identified Pokemon species: 843. Identified Pokemon Types: 18.>>

Eighteen types?

Normal, Fire, Fighting, Water, Flying, Grass, Poison, Electric, Ground, Psychic, Rock, Ice, Bug, Dragon, Ghost, Dark, Steel...that's only seventeen types. What was number eighteen, then?

In his wondering, he almost missed the little red mooer run up for him, though...

...oddly enough, it looked like Bessiemer went through Neos' legs.

"You need to learn to listen to your partners and respect your elders," was the faint whisper that the little creature heard in its ear, though it wasn't spoken in English, after being swept from the ground a second time by what seemed to be an invisible figure.

Though, such an illusion faded quickly to reveal that Neos was indeed holding up and supporting Bessiemer's weight without too much of an issue, both arms around its middle as he leaned slightly back with one leg behind him to better support the dense being. He looked towards the pair, and gave a smirk. "Oh, how rude of me, name's Neos Rivetter," he said with a smile, despite the now-wiggling cow in his arms. "And for the record, when you actually fight against Pokemon yourself, you sometimes figure out clever tricks. A variant of Double Team, for one."

It was at this moment that he spotted the little notice on Pine's desk about there being six Pokemon around.

Really hope that includes Pokemon in their Pokeballs, Neos thought to himself. Or I'm possibly in trouble.

Ashley didn't expect that a small Pokémon like Rapthistle would be able to knock down something as large as a bookshelf, and she scolds herself for underestimating her opponent. The whole event seemed to last for an eternity, but the bookshelf began to wobble, and Ashley began to hold her breath, hoping upon hope that it would not fall. Her wish isn't granted, and the bookshelf topples to the ground, trapping her Laconda who moments before was on top of it, seeming to have the upper hand. The small snake struggles, and it becomes painfully clear that it will not be able to free itself.

Her moment of shock is cut short by her opponent's command.

"There we go!" Helena says gleefully. "Now finish it off! Vine Whip!"

This would be the decisive blow. It was now or never.

"Water Gun, quick!" Ashley's desperate shout, quick and sharp, seems to fill the room with her emotions.

Laconda prepares a shot and fires.

Rapthistle is immediately caught by the rapid-fire Water Gun, and is is staggered. The little green reptile is knocked to the floor, defeated.

Helena's reaction is nothing short of incredulous. "Rapthistle?"

The Grass-Type chirps ineffectually, and passes out.

"Rapthistle!" Helena rushes to her Pokémon, and calls it into its Pokéball. She quickly rushes out the door, and comments to Professor Pine: "Uncle Ed, I'm going home- I think Rapthistle needs a rest, and maybe some food . . ." The girl is gone in moments.

Professor Pine acknowledges his niece, but is too busy gaping at Neos. "Well . . . That's impressive. I'd heard of people attempting to learn Pokémon moves, but never of anyone succeeding . . ." He shakes his head, and disconnects the cable connecting his Pokédex and Neos's. "In any case, we're done here. You're updated."

The Professor's eye falls on his desk, now reading four healthy Pokémon and one injured one, and sighs. "Mr. Rivetter, please tell me you have 2 Pokémon with you. Otherwise, that damned Cragmite is back again."

Garbit again looked at the vivid blue-haired man, now known to be named Neos, with an almost deep concentration, only being snapped out of it by pine's comment about the Cragmite. In the year Garbit has been back, he heard rumors and tidbits about it, but not enough to really know anything, and he has never had any first hand experience with it either, all he knew was that it was apparently trouble.

"Pokedex, search data: Cragmite."

Garbit soon took Cowcow off of Neos' hands, again patting them gently to calm them down, wondering if they should be put back in their pokeball or not, you know just to make sure.

"Mr. Rivetter, please tell me you have 2 Pokémon with you. Otherwise, that damned Cragmite is back again."

A confused look fell upon his face after Professor Pine asked his question. "No, I only have my Ditto on me," he responded before seeing the wiggling Pokemon's trainer trying to reclaim the one he swooped up off its feet for a second time today. Though the shift in weight needed to hand over the dense ball of muscle in his arms without just flat out dropping it proved to be a slight strain on his back, Neos was more than willing to hand over the Pokemon that was probably shell-shocked to hear what it did still.

<<Cragmite, the Building Pokémon. Rock/Bug-Type. These Pokémon consume wood, stone, and even metal to later use to build their labyrinthine nests. A large enough swarm can eat a city in just three days. Evolves into Stalachnid>>

He did not catch whom asked their Pokedex about that Pokemon, but hearing the description had him pulling a closed-eyed flinch none the less. "Oh, good Arceus, I'm pretty sure the old goat was mad at someone when he came up with that Pokemon..." His form relaxed after the remark before silently taking his Pokedex into hand. "That or he was in one sadistic mood that day. Either way, I just suddenly became glad I've never even heard of one until now."

Mistress Mew would kick to the curb any Pokemon that tried eating the Tree of Beginning, anyway, Neos thought to himself for a moment.

Speaking of using Pokedexes, Neos wound up reminding himself of something the Professor mentioned earlier before opening up the old red 'dex in his hand. "Pokedex, request entry: Cosdrake," he stated clearly, the command almost as much of a relic as the red device itself. "Time to see in what way I'm right."

<<Cosdrake, the Star Child Pokémon. Dragon/Fairy-Type.>>

"Fairy?!" Neos asked with a note of stunned confusion in his voice as the device continued on.

<<These swift creatures are rare to the point of being believed a myth by many. However, during events like meteor showers and eclipses, one may notice them appearing in very large numbers to stargaze. Evolves into Dragalaxy.>>

"I, uh..." The false human blinked a couple of times while trying to process what he heard, staring at the red Pokedex in his hand. "I think my 'dex is bugged. What in the Distortion is this about a supposed 'Fairy' type?"

I don't think Mistress knew about that, either. At least, she made no mention of such an element...

• 2 weeks later...
"Wha-" Ashley was at a complete loss for words. She hardly expected that attack to work. She hurried to her partner and cleared away the mess from her Pokémon, embracing it tightly once it was free.

"We- you- we did it! You deserve a rest, champ." She said as she recalled the small snake into its Pokéball, beaming from her first battle and victory.

"That was great-" she began, hoping to talk with her opponent, but she had apparently left.

"I think my 'dex is bugged. What in the Distortion is this about a supposed 'Fairy' type?"

Ashley's ears perked up. She didn't like to come off as bookish, but she had read more than she would ever admit in preparation to becoming a Trainer.

"The Fairy type was recently discovered in Kalos. Buncha already discovered Pokémon were classified as having it, like Jigglypuff and Clefairy." She responded as if reading from a textbook. And," She paused and continued with a more affectionate tone, "Gardevior. Aren't they-" She stopped and blinked, realizing that she was about to gush and reveal her secret adoration. "Super girly? All cutesy and stuff, bleh." She resumed in a gruffer tone, scoffing and sticking out her tongue for emphasis.

For the first time, she looked at the person who asked the question.

"Wait, the heck are you? When'd you get here, while I was wiping the floor just now? Sorry I didn't notice ya, too busy being awesome." She took in the stranger's blue hair and general appearance.

"Nice hair, by the way." She said with reluctant admiration, as if she didn't want to admit she liked it.

Pine clears his throat. "Yes. Well. It is as young Ashley explained it. Fairy-Type is a more recent discovery, notable in being a Type immune to the power of Dragon-Type moves, as well as strong against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting-Type Pokémon. It's also notably weak to Poison and Steel moves, which makes it all the more impressive that Cosdrake live here of all places."

His tutorial done, he groans, and hands Ashley and Garbit six Pokéballs each. "That's to get you started on your journey. Also, would you mind helping me catch the Cragmite?"

As if it knows it was being discussed, a single earthy-brown Pokémon, roughly the shape of a sesame seed with eight short legs, burrows through the floor. Its eight golden eyes regard the room coldly, before mindlessly munching a path through the steel plating on the floor. The bug is extremely single-minded, and when the Professor tosses a Pokéball at it the Cragmite flings small rocks at the red-and-white sphere, crushing the thin metal.

<<Move identified:: Rock Tomb>> The Professor's desk chirps helpfully.

Archived