Pokémon: Tipping Point [IC]

Draconus297

The nurse happily takes Garbit's Pokémon, and cheerfully grins: "Of course, young man . . . this will take a few minutes. Feel free to use the phones, rest on one of the benches, or just take a look around while you wait." With that, she takes both Pokéballs to the back room, an unusually large, fuzzy white Pokémon following behind, its long, fluffy tail shutting the door behind the two of them.

The inside of the Pokémon Center is nothing unusual- a few random people talking in random clusters here and there, some lying on the benches calmly, some nervously awaiting news. However, one thing in particular catches the eye: a cardboard standee of a cheerful woman in her mid-thirties, blonde hair combed into a neat bun, wearing a gaudy lavender-and-scarlet dress . . . and, beneath one of her bright amber eyes is a bright red tattoo of a heart. In a box beside the standee is a stack of bright white paper, a contract with "JOIN TEAM HEART" emblazoned in big block letters across the top. There is apparently more to the sign, but it's been torn off- a ragged tug removed a piece of the standee quite recently.

The branches of the Hollow Tree Ashley and Neos are standing under sway in the breeze, and a young trainer walks out happily cradling a Pokéball. "Won't be needing these anymore," he says happily, dropping several small bags labeled "Nip", and various Types at that- Normal Nip, Water Nip, Fire Nip, Grass Nip, Electric Nip, and Psychic Nip.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So... you're a Ditto? I was close, but I've never actually touched a Zoroark, so I didn't think about that thing about the illusions."

"Ya know, I never said I was anything other than human," he managed during the earlier laughing fit before slowly recovering from it, catching sight of the familiar hat upon another head before being offered it.

"You dropped this." With a quick and practiced swipe, he grabbed the hat by the top with an open palm before placing it back on top of his head, catching sight of Garbit entering the nearby Pokemon Center.

Now that he thought about it, he needed to probably get a check-up of his own after that hella-long flight. He just hoped he wasn't gonna get charged out the ass here as well for personal care. Again.

"So your clothes are real, or at least this hat is. What about..." Neos narrowed his eyes as the look on her face suddenly changed. "Eh, never mind."

"Ya know, I've seen quite the number of people use the 'you humans' phrase after dealing with something that made them wish they weren't part of the human race themselves. And after seeing groups like Team Rocket, I can't blame them." At this point, he subconsciously covered the uppermost part of his right arm with a large palm, looking away with a pensive look.

"It's a lot to process, but I'm dying to know: Who is this 'Mistress' exactly?"

Neos froze and Ashley could have sworn the area around them just got colder. The false human slowly turned to face her, a stern look on his face before leaning towards her. "Listen here," he stated with a muted growl. "For your safety and hers, I'd suggest you forget my even mentioning her. If you must know something, she's the reason I'm still here instead of dead soon after birth."

He took a few hard steps towards the Center, at least the first stomp leaving a print in the ground before looking towards her. "I spotted Garbit walk into the PokeCenter, you might wanna check in as well." With this did he turn back towards the direction he was walking, subtly fighting off the urge to head towards the faint smell of Poke'nip he was catching...

iU8EggM.png

Upon entering the building, his eyes immediately flew to the eyesore of a standee, raising a blue eyebrow as he approached the counter. "So...what exactly is this 'Team Heart' thing going about," he asked curiously towards the nurse. "And before you check the Pokemon in, you may wanna have a talk with some of your relatives in Kanto. Mentioning the name 'Antonio Rivetter' once they ask what about is likely to give you the answer you want." The pure-white Premier Ball on the counter, Neos waited as the lady seemed to look up a number or two on the computer before grabbing and making a call...

(Sorry for the very-mild swipe of control, but it was needed...)

Garbit breaths a sigh of relief after the nurse left, that was a close one, it's lucky these nurses are as care free and friendly as the ones in hoenn, as Garbit went to sit down, wondering if all nurses were this nice, Garbit saw the standee and went to take a look.  " 'Team Heart', Maybe they're like the Team Magma/Aqua of this region, trying to help pokemon, I'll take one of these and have a look later..." putting it in his pocket"So... what exactly is this 'Team Heart' thing going about," says a familiar voice, Garbit turns around and facepalms  himself 'oh well," he says to himself while walking up to the counter, "Hey there, he said directing himself at Neos.

• 2 weeks later...
Based on the sudden chill in the air and Neos' harsh response, this 'Mistress' was a sensitive topic, and probably something Ashley shouldn't try to pry about. That only made her want to know more, but now probably wasn't the best time.

Gah, why does he have to be so cryptic... Alshey thought frustratingly.

Neos turned away and walked towards the PokéCenter, his first stomp leaving a visible print in the ground. As Ashley turned to follow him, she noticed the Trainer and the bags he dropped. She walked over to them and saw they were apparently bags of 'Nip', labelled with several types.

"Hey Neos, do you know anything about-" She started to ask, then stopped when it was clear that Neos wasn't stopping.

"Well whatever. Looks like they're bait or something, and it doesn't look like that guy is coming back, so..." After looking around to see if anyone was watching, she took a bag of Normal, Psychic, and Fire Nip.

There's bound to be Normal types everywhere, and a Fire type would counter a Grass type that might be bad for Laconda. Psychic on the off chance that there any Ralts around... or anything else, Psychic types are never bad. She mentally justified her reasons to herself, as if she needed to prove that she needed them to herself. Well if I'm taking these might as well as take some Electric nip too, that would round out my team pretty well.

She emptied her bag, hoping that putting the 'Nip' at the bottom would prevent the smell from wafting out too much. Being in a PokéCenter with something like this would be interesting, no doubt. As an extra measure she wrapped her spare clothes around the bags in hopes that it would further cover the scent.

She finished repacking and ran to the PokéCenter, realizing that she had covered her only spare clothes with the scent of an unknown substance that was for attracting Pokémon. Doing something halfway between a sigh and chuckle she stepped into the Center, hoping that she hadn't made a mistake taking the Nip

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Inside she saw Neos and Garbit standing next to a standee that appeared to be a recruitment ploy of some kind. She gave a slight wave to both of them as she walked to the front desk to heal her Pokémon. When she got there the nurse was talking on the phone, glancing at Neos every so often.

"Uh, is this about..." She whispered to Neos. "You know... you? I was going to ask about that actually." She stepped back and adverted her gaze. "And... sorry about earlier, didn't realize it was a touchy subject." She looked around for any evidence of an unknown entity that seemed to be the cause of the chill earlier.

(Just prepping for Draco, once the 'not-Chansey' Pokémon comes out from the back Ashley's going to want to scan it with her PokéDex.)

"Good question, sir," the nurse says as she returns, her long, white fluff of a Pokémon trailing behind her. "Team Heart is out to restore order to Teno, by any means necessary. They've definitely got a lot of support from ordinary people, especially with those Team Spade hooligans running around," the nurse confided in Neos. "However, I personally disagree with Team Heart. The sheer invasions of privacy they're proposing are quite unsettling . . . they've suggested a registration system for every person and Pokémon in the region! Honestly! And something about their leader, Patricia, just generally unsettles me . . ." She gives the Ditto an uncomfortable look, obviously distasteful of the organization. "Also, I understand now, sir. It was quite fortunate that she was awake to explain- it is very early morning all the way in Kanto."

Various people sit around the Pokémon Center, all examining this odd trio of a blue-haired man, a teenage girl, and a young boy.

"Hey there," Neos heard to one side before turning his head, seeing Garbit walk up towards him from the direction of the standee. The false human gave him a smile as he held up a hand to display the typical 'peace' sign.

"Yo," he started off. "I'm guessing you're interested in whatever that team is? As long as they aren't like Team Rocket, I really don't care what they're do---"

Then his nose was hit by the smell of the 'nip, especially the Normal Nip. Having to slow down his breathing to reduce the effects of the scent, Neos manage to only slightly flinch at the smell, though he couldn't stop it being visible.

"Uh, is this about..." Neos looked towards Ashley, seeing her carrying a little bit more than she was a moment ago, the smell stronger now and making one of his hands slightly twitchy. "You know... you? I was going to ask about that actually."

Though the fog the nip was slowly creating in his head, Neos came to the realization that Garbit was possibly close enough to hear her despite her whispering. "And... sorry about earlier, didn't realize it was a touchy subject." He visibly balled up his fists as he tried to keep focus on the here and now, trying not to let it look like he was becoming affected by the apparent closeness of the Normal Nip especially, though he may not be able to stop the slow glazing-over of his gaze.

"Team Heart is out to restore order to Teno, by any means necessary." Using the nurse's voice as a momentary focus, Neos glanced over towards her and the apparent equal to the Chanseys and Blisseys back home. "They've definitely got a lot of support from ordinary people, especially with those Team Spade hooligans running around. However, I personally disagree with Team Heart. The sheer invasions of privacy they're proposing are quite unsettling..." This last statement prompted both an eyebrow raise and a slight tilting of the head to one side. "They've suggested a registration system for every person and Pokémon in the region! Honestly! And something about their leader, Patricia, just generally unsettles me..."

The mention of a registration system reminded him of the unusual blurp from one of the region's Pokedexs regarding registering a nickname for the tiny, tiny Pokemon whose species name he was failing to remember now. He wondered for a second if this Team Heart had something to do with that while fighting the urge to just dive right into Ashley's things and consume all the Nip. Then, he registered the nurse giving him an uncomfortable look before hearing her continue on. "Also, I understand now, sir. It was quite fortunate that she was awake to explain- it is very early morning all the way in Kanto."

"...and that would explain the jet-lag I've been feeling," he muttered more to himself than anything before raising a hand to rub the back of his head, slightly lifting his hat as he did. "And heh, depending on which one you called, I may be owing that particular Joy something when I eventually get back."

Especially the Lavender one for putting up with my ass after the Rocket escape, he thought before he winced, barely holding back the full-body shake from trying not to go after the nip right next to him. Without much announcement did Neos bolt towards where the nurse came from, putting some distance between him and the source of the smell. He leaned back against one of the walls while remaining out of view of the front, only opening his eyes once the nurse and Pokemon came back through. "S...sorry...someone had a lot of nip while standing right next to me," he said in a low voice to prevent being overheard by anyone else...

"Yo,I'm guessing you're interested in whatever that team is?"

"I guess so... I mean I have my own teams back home, Aqua and Magma, I was just wondering if they're like them or not."

"As long as they aren't like Team Rocket, I really don't care what they're do---"

At that moment Garbit saw Neos flinch, although only just a little. Focusing on what could be wrong with him, trying to find a weakness he could exploit later if need be, Garbit only heard a little bit of what Ashley was whispering "Uh...about... you? I was... ask...that actually." Garbit ddn't quite get to guessing what they're talking about before the nurse gave the answer to the earlier question.

"Team Heart is out to restore order to Teno, by any means necessary."

'That doesn't sound so bad.' Grabit thought putting his hand in the pocket the contracts in.

"They've definitely got a lot of support from ordinary people, especially with those Team Spade hooligans running around. However, I personally disagree with Team Heart. The sheer invasions of privacy they're proposing are quite unsettling...They've suggested a registration system for every person and Pokémon in the region! Honestly! And something about their leader, Patricia, just generally unsettles me..."

Garbit just clenched his fist in his pocket at the sound of the registration system, 'How could they do this to the Pokémon it's not right,' All the while his head down, his eyes showing anger, if they were visible. before storming of in the direction of an empty seat, throwing the now scrunched up paper in the bin along the way.

• 3 weeks later...
As Neos rushed to follow the nurse, she noticed that he seemed to be a bit jumpy during her apology. After only a moment's thought she mentally kicked herself.

Of course he would be on edge, whatever this Nip stuff is was probably killing him to be around. How could you be so stupid? I guess I'll have to be more careful with it in the future... She thought to herself, hoping that Neos wouldn't be too mad at her.

She considered what she could do to stop the smell while the Nurse told Garbit about the local teams. A registration system didn't sound like something she wanted to have to deal with, and Garbit's reaction showed that he didn't seems too fond of it either.

"What about the other team, Spade you said? I could get behind them if they're against Team Heart, unless there's a Team Club or Diamond as well." She grinned at her joke, not ruling out the possibility.

"Oh, and do you know where I could get some airtight containers? I have something that... I need to keep sealed." She asked sheepishly.

"Team Spade?" The nurse scoffs as she returned from a quick trip to the back where Garbit's Pokémon had been healed up. "They seem convinced we'd be better off with no laws at all. Dirty, thieving things, the lot of them. While I don't agree with Team Heart's goals, bum-rushing a Pokémon Center to steal two standees and rip apart a third is going a bit too far." The nurse shakes her head in disappointment, returning Garbit's Pokéballs with a sigh. "We're being caught in the middle of two terrible options, and honestly I want Isaac to thrash them both and return some sense to all this." As she speaks, she reveals a photograph of a powerful-looking young man with severe hazel eyes and unruly brown hair, accompanied by a long, slender red Pokémon with massive wings. At the bottom of the picture is a note and signature:

Always happy to meet a fan!

Best regards,

Teno League Champion Isaac

The massive white fluffball presents Ashley with several jars, a small scowl on its otherwise adorable face as its tail returned below the line of the desk.

Another of the white fluffball Pokémon was in the back where Neos hid, regarding him with huge honey-colored eyes and brushing its absurdly soft and fluffy tail against the Ditto's face. "Waaaar," it warbled, its voice as grating as its appearance was nonthreatening.

While beyond the door, Neos listened in to the conversation going on about the two teams, his left hand balling up into a fist at what he was hearing about a supposed 'Team Spade' as he tried not to think of Team Rocket and their usual choice of antics in and out of the lab. He had noticed the other Pokemon coming up to look over him, but wasn't exactly paying attention...

...at least until his face was covered in white fluff.

A sneeze escaping him almost immediately from an irritated sniffer, narrowed neon-green eyes soon met with widened honey ones surrounded by white. "Knock it off," he grumbled in a non-human way before rubbing his nose with his right hand.

Then, he soon paused and looked over the white Pokemon that worked here alongside the nurse, realizing that he had no idea what kind of Pokemon...she? was at, all. He was used to seeing Chanseys and Blisseys as well as the occasional Audino in Sinnoh, but this one?

He had no idea.

Between not knowing what it was, the faint-but-still-there smell of nip, the fact that one of the Teams could make him think of the Arceus-damned Rockets and not being at all sure if he could be understood by the other Pokemon when he spoke in his own native aggravated him. At least he could deal with one of those things.

With that in mind, Neos pulled out the old Pokedex from the inside of his yellow suit-jacket before leveling it with the fluffball as a thought floated across his head.

This is why the humans have these things. Most aren't able to just ask the Pokemon in question...

Garbit notices the nurse coming out with his Pokéballs and comes to the front desk to collect them only to catch a complete description of the second team with was a far from welcome surprise. "Team Spade? They seem convinced we'd be better off with no laws at all. Dirty, thieving things, the lot of them. While I don't agree with Team Heart's goals, bum-rushing a Pokémon Center to steal two standees and rip apart a third is going a bit too far. We're being caught in the middle of two terrible options, and honestly I want Isaac to thrash them both and return some sense to all this."

After Grapping the Pokéballs putting Cragmite's Pokéball away, he began talking, to who was uncurtain but it was most likely Ashley, in a darker almost angry tone, "I've had enough of this place, I'm out of here, tell Neos that if you want to follow me you can, but don't expect me to talk." He opened Cowcow Pokéball and almost started walking out, before remembering something, he spoke again, but with the sadness in his voice that was covered up more clearer now. "And Ashly, make sure to heal up squirt before leaving, I wouldn't want you to send it into battle when it weak." A small sound left the small cows mouth as it turned it's head back. "Come on Cowcow we're leaving." and with that the duo headed off towards the first route of this villain infested region...

...but was stopped when Ashley grabbed his wrist, pulling him back.

"Slow down there. I'm sure you don't agree with these guys, I don't either, but we need to stay together." She said through gritted teeth, Garbit's anger stirring up some unpleasant memories within the girl. After pausing to make sure she got her point across she let go of Garbit and took a deep breath.

"Sorry, but I've had someone... close to me that ran off after a disagreement and... they didn't end up too hot." She closed her eyes and shook her head to dispel any negative thoughts.

"Let's at least wait for Neos, 'kay?" She asked, patting Garbit on the shoulder before turning to the white fluffball that was behind the desk of the Center.

"I'd like to heal up my Pokémon, thanks." She gave Laconda's ball to the Pokémon, then pulled out her PokéDex to scan it as it went to the back where Neos was.

Then Ashley took the jars from the desk and went to a corner of the Center to pack the PokéNip into them as quickly as she could before the smell spread too much.

++Warmink, the Sanctuary Pokémon. Normal-Type. Not only are the coats of these Pokémon notable for their warmth and soft thickness, but are renowned for their healing properties. They will often approach those who are sick or injured and attempt to use their fur as a cure-all. Evolves from Furmine.++

"Waar," the friendly Warmink warbled, swiping its fluffy tail across Neos's face- apparently it mistook his discomfort with the Normal Nip for actual sickness.

The nurse is quick to nod in agreement with Ashley. "Young man, even with Bessiemer and Cragmite by your side, that Route is dangerous. Thisspark and Panpour alone will give you trouble, and you'll need all the help you can get. And then we have Teams Heart and Spade . . . please, just wait for your friends." She pleaded with Garbit, desperate for him to see reason.

++Warmink, the Sanctuary Pokémon. Normal-Type. Not only are the coats of these Pokémon notable for their warmth and soft thickness, but are renowned for their healing properties. They will often approach those who are sick or injured and attempt to use their fur as a cure-all. Evolves from Furmine.++

"Huh," Neos to mutter. "That's intres---oof!" Tail covering his face once more, Neos quickly yet gently grabbed it before pulling it out of his face and leveling a glare at it. "Not sick, dammit," he responded in a human way before lowering his voice and looking away from the general direction of where the others were, even if they were beyond the door and wall. "Arceus-damned 'nip..." A subconscious 'sniff' came from his nose before he realized one thing. The smell of the nip smelled...like it was leaving, was that chick going as well?

"Slow down there. I'm sure you don't agree with these guys, I don't either, but we need to stay together."

Nope.

"Sorry, but I've had someone... close to me that ran off after a disagreement and... they didn't end up too hot."

"Let's at least wait for Neos, 'kay?"

"Young man, even with Bessiemer and Cragmite by your side, that Route is dangerous. Thisspark and Panpour alone will give you trouble, and you'll need all the help you can get. And then we have Teams Heart and Spade . . . please, just wait for your friends."

Listening to the conversation beyond his sight but not his ears, Neos couldn't help but shake his head at it. 'Friend' was a strong word for people he had only recently met. 'Acquaintance' he would have more understood. Either way, the nurse was right in that other Pokemon could give them trouble, especially between a combination of what he guessed to be an electric Pokemon and a water Pokemon. "Looks like I flew head-first into something when I arrived at that lab," he muttered to himself before releasing a sigh...

...and the re-acquaintance of floof and his face, since the Warmink freed its tail of his grip. "ARCEUS-DAMMIT, knock it off!"

Garbit is shocked by the pull of ashley, as he gets pulled back.

"Slow down there. I'm sure you don't agree with these guys, I don't either, but we need to stay together." Garbit could see, the negative emotions in this girl

"Why, we only just met, It's not like you would actually care for me?" Garbit questioned, Not really expected to get a half decent response. 

"Sorry, but I've had someone... close to me that ran off after a disagreement and... they didn't end up too hot. Let's at least wait for Neos, 'kay?"

"Look I sorry about your friend," Garbit says as trying to sound as sincere as possible, which wasn't very much. "But I really don't care about you, them or anyone else for that matter."

Garbit was just about to continue walking out when he heard the nurse plead,"Young man, even with Bessiemer and Cragmite by your side, that Route is dangerous. Thisspark and Panpour alone will give you trouble, and you'll need all the help you can get. And then we have Teams Heart and Spade . . . please, just wait for your friends."

Garbit looked like he was going to burst at that moment, that was, until he felt Cowcow rubbing his leg and pleading with him as well. It was at this moment that Garbit snapped back into reality, realizing how much danger he was putting his Pokemon in with his own rash decisions. "I guess i could stay a little while longer." His voice a lot smoother now, but the anger still there if you knew what to look out for.

"Of course I care about you! I mean, yeah, we've just met, but..." Ashley struggles for a moment to compose her thoughts.

"You seem like a good person, and you might not care about me, but if you got hurt or something... it would be a waste, ya know?" She pauses, hoping that her words sink in. "You seem like you have the potential to be a pretty great trainer. Sure, I only just became a Trainer, but I come from a pretty big family of great Trainers so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about." She beams at him with pride in her family.

"Also, for someone who claims not to care about anything, you seemed pretty passionate about the registration system that Team Heart is planning."

The Warmink came back to the front desk with Ashley's Laconda.

"Thanks." She said to the Pokémon. She leaned over the desk, a little more than what would probably be acceptable, and called out.

"Sorry to bother you, but how's Neos doing?"

The nurse smiled softly at Ashley, pulling the door back enough to show one of the two Warmink sweeping its absurdly soft, fluffy tail in Neos's face. "He's fine. If you wish, the three of you can leave now . . . in fact, I recommend it. In another hour or so, many of the more dangerous Pokémon on Route 401 will be asleep, and the few that remain, well . . . I'm sure that the three of you together could handle the odd Ghost-Type."

One of the assorted people standing in the lobby of the Pokémon Center kicks over the Team Heart standee, and the nurse muttered something under her breath. "Hey! You! Don't . . . aaagh." Groaning, she signaled to the Warmink beside her. "Hey buddy, stop him please," she said softly.

The second Warmink simply stared in the man's direction and let out a loud, exaggerated yawn . . . and suddenly the aggressive Heart-hater was curling up and falling asleep.

"Sorry about that," the nurse said, still quite exasperated.

Ashley looked at the now asleep vandal, then looked back at the nurse.

"No problem at all ma'am." She replied carefully, now on her best behavior after seeing what the Warmink was capable of, but still visibly rattled by the incident. She thought she was feeling a bit drowsy herself, but that was more likely the power of suggestion than a result of the Pokémon's move.

"You ready to go Neos?" She said while glancing at Garbit to see if he was still there. After she made sure he was, she began to think of the dynamic of this not-so-merry group she found herself in.

Garbit's mad about something, and Neos probably isn't happy about what happened with this PokéNip... She hoped that the three of them would be able to get along better, but Garbit seemed to not really care about anyone other than himself, and maybe Pokémon.

I'm sure we'll get along eventually... She was doubting her own words, as much as she wanted it to happen.

But we should at least be able to get to the next town without killing each other.

Grabbing the floof that had become one with his face again, this time with both hands, Neos glared at the Warmink once more. The focus on the Pokemon ball of fluff had caused him to miss the door cracking open to put him into view of the others. "I'm not sick, dammit. Tired, but not sick," he quipped before breathing out through his nose.

Oh, thank Arceus, the 'nip is gone, he thought to himself after a moment before raising his head upon hearing a sudden bang nearby. Ignoring the fact that the door had at some point opened up, Neos let go of the floof and bolted back into the front...

...just in time to see a snoring person and the standee knocked over, prompting him to blink once at the sight. "What the...?"

"You ready to go Neos?" Glancing over towards Ashley, he saw her glancing towards Garbit as if making sure he was still there.

"You wanna go already," he asked in an exasperated tone from not catching the conversation that happened just now. "I was hoping to finally get some sleep after the jetlag I've been dealing with," he remarked before sighing. "But if you really wanna go, fine." His eyes fell towards the little cow-like Pokemon, still worried that it was likely to get young Garbit into more trouble than he could handle. I can at least sleep in a tree.

Soon after the confrontation with Ashly, Cowcow, trying to make Garbit feel better, had jumped on him and started licking his face off, "Cowcow, stop it!" Garbit said while laughing and trying to grap the calf, well, untill the nosie of the standee caught their attention, just in time to see man get put to sleep.

"You ready to go Neos?" Garbit now saw that Ashly was glancing at him.

What was the point of that interaction but there then? Garbit wondered to himself as he got up, the calf of his doing the same, Mind you, I guess she just wanted me to wait for her and Neos. Well I guess that's a smart enough move, Neos does seem quite experienced, and maybe I can use him as a sheild if need be, no one would just watch a little kid get hurt.

With that in mind he walked over to the other two, cowcow right behind, hopefully that outburst didn't ruin his chances of playing the ruse.

And with that, the unlikely trio set off on Route 401 in the late afternoon, the sensors on the newer Pokédexes chirping: <<Twelve Pokémon species in range!>>

The forest was dense, and it was difficult to see farther than a few feet in front of oneself in the increasing darkness of the afternoon. Chittering noises similar to Garbit's Cragmite could be heard, as could little warbles, halfhearted chirps, and an unsettling rattling noise. Sounds of Pokémon could be heard above and below . . . and the fact that there were thorny brambles of what looked like thistle plants all over the forest floor to step over made getting anywhere rather difficult. Still, the fact that this place was arguably at its most dangerous during the day presented a difficult decision:

Wait for morning to be able to see where they were going, or keep trying to progress in darkness to avoid being attacked by swarms of wild Pokémon?

Neos, more due to long legs than anything else, wound up in the front of the 'pack', and so forced himself several times to stay with the pace of the group instead of accidentally shooting ahead by walking at his normal pace. The only real light between the trio was the jewel hanging from Neos' neck and even that was a dim glow at best. He found himself glancing back several times towards the lone Fire-type in the group, or at least whom he figured was Fire, while trying to figure out what to do about the encroaching darkness ahead.

He picked up a stick along the way that he could see was by itself, testing its strength a little bit before presenting the tip towards the Bessiemer upon approaching the edge of the forest. "Light, please?"

Garbit, despite trying his best to keep up with the taller people of the group, fell behind, the only intercation of where the everyone else was, was the dim glow from Neo's pendent, but soon that disappeared too far ahead as well.

Figuring there was no way to catch up to them now, Garbit sat down on a log and let his Cragmite out, ¨Hey there," He said as he brushed a hand over the bugs harder skin, never having a pokemon like this before he didn't know how to handle it, he heard a rumor that rock types like to polished, but he didn't have any, nor did he know if the rumour was true. "So, how long do you think it will take them to figrue out we're missing?" In reponce to the question the bug made a few small clicking noises. "I'll take that as a no Idea, so where do you want to ride?" Cragmite looked like it was about to climb up Garbit to his shoulder when other they both heard other clicking, and the bug returned the noise and jumped of the lap of it trainer, following the sounds deeper into the forest, scattering slowly enough to allow Garbit to walk at a normal pace beside it.

~Meanwhile back with the group~

"Light, please?" The little Mooer happyly obliged, and wether it was on purpose or lack of skill, also allowed his ember to hit Neos face. With the new light Cowcow finally saw that his trainer had disappeared, in reponse it let out an rather lound moo in an attempt to find him, and probably got the unwanted attention of the forest pokemon.

The group began the journey through the forest. The sun soon set, plunging the forest into darkness, save from Neos' mysteriously glowing necklace and CowCow. She had a flashlight but didn't want to hold up the group. It seemed that Neos was purposely walking slowly and she fumbling around in her bag would make her even slower. He seemed to be in a rush, which meant that she had hastily stuffed the container full of PokéNip on top of all her other supplies

"Light, please?"

Ashley, who had been trying her best to keep up with Neos' pace by switching between a trot and a light jog for a few paces, started rummaging through her bag. As she did CowCow shot an ember at Neos, hitting him directly in the face. This caused her to jump, dropping the container of PokéNip on the ground, opening it and exposing the bags of Nip.

"Garbit, watch it!" She said, turning the beam of her flashlight in the direction of CowCow, only to find Garbit was missing.

"Neos, I think Garbit's-" she started, but was hushed when she heard the forest rustling, evidently from the PokéNip.

"Ah crap." Ashley deadpanned, releasing Laconda to get ready for the battle ahead.

A twittering noise issued forth, and suddenly it began raining- one of the thistle bushes got ip, revealing itself to be a Pokémon. Distinctly hedgehog-like in appearance, its back was one long row of razor-sharp thorns and its body was green and somewhat rodentlike, with gleaming amber eyes and yellow tufts of fur around its jaw.

Most importantly, however . . . this thing did not look happy to be woken. It made a sharp barking sound, raising its hackles in alarm. Cragmite even backed away from it nervously . . .

======

A thin white shape rushed by, stealing the Normal Nip up into a tree and taking a good amount of Ashley's clothes with it.

Luckily, Ashley nervously hit the button on her Pokédex, which helpfully identified the thief:

<<Furmine, the Heat Thief Pokémon. Normal-Type. While soft, their coats are incapable of keeping them warm, and as such these Pokémon are notorious for stealing clothes, blankets, and various other objects to make their nests with. For an unexplained reason, these Pokémon also steal shiny objects, and are easily distracted with bits of glass or aluminum cans. Evolves into Warmink.>>

Archived