A Couple Questions About Making a Contest

-Time Master Dio-

Question

I'm currently writing a rather popular FanFic, but besides taking place in the YuGiOh universe and using some of the old cards, the plot, setting, and history of the story are totally original. I also introduced a new Summoning method and a plethora of new cards and Archetypes.

I wanted to hold a contest for people to create Decks/Archetypes for this story, with one of the prizes being that the deck is showcased in the story by  the characters and all credit for the deck is given to the original creator. However, I also wanted people to create cards around Rebellion Summoning, which is the new Summoning method I came up with.

Am I allowed to ask for cards to be created for a Summoning method that doesn't technically exist, even if I explain its function completely? Also, do I need other prizes other than the deck being featured in the story?

4 answers to this question

I'll permit this sort of thing, but you're responsible for explaining how this summoning method works in the first place. But yeah, like the above poster mentioned, depending on how this summon works, either people are not going to be interested or they'll give it a shot.

As for other prizes, standard stuff usually includes reps/likes (see the green button at the bottom right of posts) and/or points. You can add people's Decks into your story, assuming they grant permission for you to do so otherwise. (Make sure you ask if they're fine with it, even if you intend to credit them otherwise)

In all honesty I don't see why not, but do so at your own risk.  A lot of people either don't have the time nor the patience to learn some random jaunt you came up with in order to even begin thinking about what cards to make.  Sure there will be a few who are willing, but honestly I wouldn't expect that many applicants due to how small the CC thread already is, and you are already pandering to a small demographic.

In all honesty I don't see why not, but do so at your own risk.  A lot of people either don't have the time nor the patience to learn some random jaunt you came up with in order to even begin thinking about what cards to make.  Sure there will be a few who are willing, but honestly I wouldn't expect that many applicants due to how small the CC thread already is, and you are already pandering to a small demographic.

A little rude referring to it as a "random jaunt", but I see your point. It really isn't complicated, though. It's no harder to learn that Pendulum Summoning. Also, those aren't the only cards I'm going to be asking for. I need some regular decks as well. But, thank you for the info.

Appologies. The jaunt phrase came out a bit tougher than I intended.

Like I said, you are more than welcome assuming your contest follows all the CC rules posted in said section, and if your concept is interesting enough it might do the exact opposite and be popular. However I don't really see a middle ground in the situation. Either it's going to be too convoluted or complex for people to want to learn, or it will resonate well enough to get the creative juices flowing in some of the CC regulars. Just goin in knowing that full well, and it should go smoothly assuming you adjust the requirements of the contest accordingly

Archived