[Leaderboard] 2016 Postseason (Match 1-2)

General stuff

- First to 3 votes or whoever gets the most votes by 11:00 am HST on 4/8/2016 wins

- Voters must elaborate on their votes

- I reserve the right to nullify votes if reasoning is insufficient.

- Winner moves on to round 2 and receives a rep from the opponent

- All voters will get reps (and are eligible for 250PP per round in 2099 if you are registered)

----

Requirement

Make a Synchro Monster with an alternate summoning condition (see Nirvana High Paladin).

Or in other words, regular conditions but also a separate one in-effect. 

----

Card A

ghatanothoa.png

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
For this card's Synchro Summon, you can treat 1 Fusion Summoned Fusion monster you control as a Tuner, and you can also use Xyz Monsters you control as Material, and if you do, treat their Ranks as if they were Levels. When this card is Synchro Summoned: Target a number of cards, up to the number of Extra Deck monster types (Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz) among the Synchro Materials used; destroy them. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or card effect): Negate the effects of all face-up cards your opponent controls.

Card B

Wormhole Dragon

DARK, Level 11

Dragon/Synchro/Effect

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

For this card's Synchro Summon, you can treat 1 Xyz Monster you control as the Tuner, using its Rank as if it were a Level. While this Synchro Summoned card is face-up on the field, it gains the appropriate effects, depending on the monsters used as Synchro Material.

* Fusion Monster: Face-up monsters your opponent controls lose ATK and DEF equal to their Level/Rank x 100.

* Synchro Monster: Cannot be destroyed by card effects.

* Xyz Monster: Negate the effects of all face-up Xyz Monsters.

ATK 2950/DEF 2550

My vote is for card B.

While card A has better OCG, it doesn't make up for how restrictive it's effect is. Requiring a mix of both Xyz and Fusion (while being a fiend at that) it makes it very situation for a 2 card destruction. It would be a wasted summon without using the alternate summoning condition (which is too gimmicky to begin with.)

Card B is not as difficult to summon and gain it's effects (limiting Xyz's stricly as a tuner does make it slightly OP due to no longer needing a Tuner for summon.) This paired with being Dragon type makes it significantly faster than Card A but it's effects being variable based on the materials used to summon helps balance it more.

Due to a less complicated summoning condition and better balance my vote is for card B.

I vote for card B

Card A is very difficult to make but has high pay off, the problem is, it's too difficult. I don't wanna sacrifice a fusion and an xyz for shuffle 2 really.

Also card A is plain broken with norden, which is legal in tcg still. Float effect seems really forced and unnecessary imo. Also, it's level 8. Which shows that they have really considered how much of a pain this thing would be to summon to get 2 shuffles let alone 3, it just doesn't scale well enough. 2 shuffles for 2 is okish but 3 for 3 just seems really bad when you could've most likely made quasar instead.

Card B hasn't got as high pay off but seems more thought out being level 11 and whilst it still doesn't scale as nicely as I would like it to, it seems more useable atleast.

A little surprised for the amount of hate on A.

At first, I was also initially going to vote for B, until I re-read A a couple of times. The fact is, if everyone considers how Ranked monsters are usually nowadays, the most common Xyz monsters we would have would be R4 and R3. So, in all technicality, even if we did use cards like the Xyz Evolutions such as Gaia the Thunder Charger and Frozen Lady Justice, this card could only be Summoned by using another Level 5 or 4 and/or Level 7/8 monster depending on the deck to bring this card out. So considering the current most popular decks for Xyz:

Dracopals: Rank 4, and then requires materials that equal 7. At most, getting out a 2950 beater which has the ability to negate the effects of all Xyz, which isn't too bad.

Kozmos: Possibility of Xyz Summon of all Rank 9 and below monsters, except no Fusion or Synchro is really used in the deck nowadays. For the Ghost Ogre splash, it's possible to get a 2950 beater with immunity to destruction effects and Xyz skill drain. Not bad as well.

Burning Abyss: Considering that their Levels never add up to 11, you can still theoretically make this card with Pleides using Rank-up Astral Force. But then, Xyz Skill drain at most and you probably would ruin yourself more.

BA/PK/Speedroid mix: Same issue as the one above.

Super Quantums: Since this deck is more versatile with Red Layer at being level 5, only a walking Xyz Skill Drain at most.

Shiranui: You can make this card with Spectralsword and the Synchros, so 2950 beater with walking Xyz Skill Drain at most.

Even if you do splash in Instant Fusion into these decks for Norden, as well as add Gaia Charger for a Rank 7, Card B just seems impossible to get all 3 of its effects easily. The first effect is the most valuable in my opinion, since its a buffed version of Burden of the Mighty that can be ESSENTIAL against decks like Kozmos with their non-targeting effects. Personally, I just don't find this card useful because the amount of materials required to get this card out isn't really worth a 2950 beater. Most likely, I would prefer Star Eater over this card.

I personally like Card A for sticking to flavour, if everyone still remembers how the Old Entitys are the Synchros within the Entity archetype, but that's not my reason for deciding. Aside from just liking it on a personal scale, I like it how it has a built in Star Scepter effect to pop and draw, even if there's a lot of hate on it because the majority believes it to be OP; I'll explain why I don't believe it is broken.

Since the Spinda complained on how broken the card is with Norden, I like to say that it's not true in the sense that Level 4 Synchros are rarely used nowadays. Aside from Yang Zing and a specific Entity deck, the majority of the other decks cannot make this card at all. If you're fearing the popping two and drawing two, I'd say that the chances of doing it with Norden and a Synchro is very, very low.

For the Xyz and Fusion complaint: Xyz requires atleast 2 monsters usually, if anyone remembers that. So, using Norden, it's only possible to only get a +2 maximum with another R4 Xyz since I don't believe anyone uses Level 2 or 3 Fusion monsters in the TCG. It's up to the number of types of the Extra Deck monsters, not for each Extra Deck monster used for the Summon.

Also, even if you did not happen to have a Norden on hand: A level 4 tuner monster and a R4 monster would still suffice, which is still quite possible with the decks we have today. Then again, it may just be my opinion that I believe that the targeting pop and draw is more useful than Card B.

I agree that this card is rather hard to Summon with the Fusion becoming the Tuner monster. Then again, since Instant Fusion is still a thing, there's still a lot more variety of Fusions to pick from that makes this card not as hard to Summon. The float effect isn't unnecessary; it can be very helpful if your opponent's field is full of cards.

I really believe that both cards are hard to Summon in their own ways, since it's near impossible for both cards to maximize their capabilities. However, since I believe that the Star Seraph effect + the negating float is slightly more effective than the second card's effects, I'll vote for Card A.

I'll try my best to write a review...

Card A

For this card's Synchro Summon, you can treat 1 Fusion Summoned Fusion monster you control as a Tuner, and you can also use Xyz Monsters you control as Material, and if you do, treat their Ranks as if they were Levels. When this card is Synchro Summoned: Target a number of cards, up to the number of Extra Deck monster types (Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz) among the Synchro Materials used; destroy them. If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or card effect): Negate the effects of all face-up cards your opponent controls.

Based on the lore, card A has a quite unusual effect, it supports multiple card types, It's Special Summoning is hard to execute, since it requires at least two card types to get the most out of it. The susceptible combo for this fodder is to use "Instant Fusion"to special summon a Fusion monster, then special summon "Goblindbergh" or "Shadow Lizard" to  provide materials for Xyz summoning, then Xyz Summon alevel 4 monster, then Synchro summon. It's effect will destroy at least 2 cards, which could provide some reinforcement against monster with very high-stats, such as "Superdimensional Robot Galaxy Destroyer" or to destroy annoying spells, like "Eradicator Epidemic Virus"

Card has decent stats, and when destroyed provides usefulness 

Sadly, it does not support Ritual Monsters, thus limits the card types and wide array of combinations....and there are better alternatives to destroy cards your opponent controls rather than wasting 2 monsters, such as "Raigeki","Heavy Storm", if the focus is solely on destruction...

The flavor is mild, since Old Entities are usually deities which are usually hard to summon and harder to harness

Card B:
This card is harder to execute it's truly maximum potential, since it requires Xyz, Synchro, and Fusion monsters to fully maintain it's effects. It's Fusion material effect isn't really that useful, considering the utmost maximum decrease is around 1000 ATK and can easily be countered by Equip Spells, such as "United We Stand" or "Axe of Despair".

It's Synchro Material effect is a bit broken, since it almost negates everything, including spells, traps, and monster effects, and is quite easy to execute, making this card very hard to destroy, especially when it is pumped/equipped.

The last effect (Xyz) is useful in the current Metagame, since Xyz are widely used, but it is a bit too powerful, considering it negates everything, making Xyz monsters useless, since it cannot detach it's overlay units.

It's Special Summoning condition is a bit obscure, since it does not state a Fusion Monster as a supported material, making it a bit imperfect in the lore.

This card can useful many Xyz, Synchro, or combination decks, such as "Instant Xyz!" Decks, See link:https://www.google.co.id/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwigjOickf_LAhWLSY4KHSIhBHIQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fyugioh.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FInstant_Xyz&usg=AFQjCNGz1B7riAHSvjyCaNOHJtHlV3wzfg&sig2=C3a-4i1FcaHtwS68m_8bJw

It's effect, mostly focused on negation does not match perfectly with the title, since "Wormholes" should focus more on destruction or teleportation (banish)

For the clause of usefulness, Both cards has their own uses, and equally hard to achieve it's maximum potential, still Card A is more balanced, since it's hard summoning conditions makes up for it's effects, and the negation only occurs when it is destroyed, whereas Card B has very powerful effects right off the bat, and requires less set up for the devastating Synchro material and Xyz effects...

Conclusion:

Card A wins the vote, even though harder to make use of it's effects and set ups, has nice flavor and unique effect, and more balanced, Card B is easier to execute, but some of it's effects are a bit overpowered, thus making it a bit more broken than A.

Yeah, looks like I'll have to tiebreak this [actually started this during lunch break, but only doing it now b/c I have time]

Card A is intended to work with Norden and the other Lovecraft ED cards (from what it looks like), if the name wasn't a giveaway. Though, no one actually summons Norden with his printed mats (see Instant Fusion) and even with that in mind, Level 4 Synchros aren't necessarily common [even for Hastorr and the other one whose name I probably misspell every so often], bar for certain Decks. Though, with that in mind, considering how much Decks like to Rank 4 nowadays, I could probably see this card being added as a side thing if they wanted to; due to how the card works, the Rank of Nyarla (or whatever "dead" R4 of choice you use) doesn't matter; you can treat it as a 4 (should be clear that Nyarla doesn't exist in TCG right now). Then again, only other cards in the current game that screws Xyz/Level stuff is Destruction/Creation Magician (at least on last check). 

For the most part, I'd probably see this card popping two upon summoning (Fusion / Xyz) which isn't too bad; as Spinda mentioned though, if you could somehow blow up 3 cards with all the ED mechanics, then you probably would've been better off making something else that is worth the effort (well, at least field wise), but chances are that you won't. Negating everything the opponent plays when it dies is still nice though.

(Now do we have another reason to limit Instant Fusion for Norden plays?)

----

Card B also can use Xyz Monsters as valid Synchro Material for the Tuner component, but much like card A, it's reliant on what cards you used to Synchro Summon this in the first place (or rather, similar to Metaphys Horus but for the ED spectrum). 

Fusion effect doesn't do too much in the long run; it's basically Burden of the Mighty expanded to hit Xyz Monsters. I would say 200 would've been a better choice, but considering that common Ranks are generally 4/5; that's a sharp loss in power as you go up the Level/Rank scale. Suppose that as-is, it can weaken certain bosses enough to where they're within "reasonable" kill range. 

Synchro makes it invulnerable to Raigeki, Dark Destroyer, Ignister and whatever destruction removal we have in the game at present (including Mirror Force if people still run it; I keep one for preference), which can be useful in the long run. Obviously it's still going to be Castel bait and whatever other common Xyz that exist [well, assuming that you DIDN'T use an Xyz Monster as a mat]

Xyz pretty says "screw you Xyz-based Decks" and that's pretty much a chunk of them. Granted, it does hurt you as well, but if you're not focusing on Xyz, it won't bother you in the long run. Remember that remark I made about this being Castel bait? Well, if you use this card's alt condition to summon this, that becomes a non-issue (that, and stuff like 101/DRXD and things). For what it's worth, it even screws over S39 from triggering.

I would generally say that you'll be using a R4 monster + whatever other things that add up to 7, but again that generally depends on the Deck and how it can function with its Levels. If you are going to be using two Extra Deck monsters, it'll likely be Xyz and Synchro doing stuff.

----

Both cards are already hard to bring to their fullest potential (and I only said that you had to have an alternate summon condition; not require the ED spectrum to determine effects [but whatever's here is fine]), but personally I'm picking A. 

It is easier to use in the long run and can at least do something even if it's destroyed/revived later. Pretty much in all cases, you're probably going to be using Noden as the Tuner + whatever R4 Xyz or something [probably Castel after you bounce something away]; you could revive a Synchro with this, but aside from rare cases, L4 Synchros aren't common. (You'll at least get to take down 1 card at minimum from the alternate conditions, and that should be enough for most purposes). I really doubt anyone can summon 3 ED monsters and then go into this + blow up 3 cards.

Not saying that B is worse; it certainly is useful but as I mentioned, you're likely not going to get more than 2 off at best; though with it being Level 11, you do have slightly more leeway in going into it with all three ED types, but factoring in the common Decks, not really seeing it. You'll probably get the Xyz one off; that much is certain, but the rest is somewhat iffy and with varied success. 

----

It is possible to make them with 3 ED monsters, but that requires jumping through hoops to even get off (and that's not ideal, even in casual matches). 

---

Oh and Spinda, card A DESTROYS cards, not shuffles; might want to reconsider that [if you didn't accidentally mean it already]; should've caught it earlier [but at the time I accepted the vote, was in class]. 

(Right now, it's 3-2 card A)

------

EDIT: Gadjiltron wins this by tiebreaker and moves on to Round 2. 

Archived