Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Agro

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honestly a little shocked by how insanely positive the response to the game is. Part of me likely was afraid it would just end up being over hyped or have problems (only major one I've heard is frame rate and only ok VA work at parts). Not only is the hype real, but it seems to not have done it full justice since this is being called one of the best games of all time which is insane. I feel a little overwhelmed at the thought of tackling the game because of how massive and open ended it seems, but this also seems like something I really don't want to miss out on.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=my big post on BotW - SPOILERS]Absolutely loving it so far. The world is large but dense enough where I never feel like I'm not doing anything for too long.

Gotten all four of the Divine Beasts now, I did Mipha's first which was nice because her ability is super useful. If I ever make a new playthrough, though, I'm going for Rivali's first because his ability has so much utility for getting around and stuff. Also, that sweet Dragon Roost Island remix for Rito Village.

Speaking of Mipha, I love how I just stumbled into it. I wasn't planning on doing any of the Divine Beast stuff for awhile, I was just exploring and come upon a Zora telling me to meet their prince. On my way I run into several Zoras telling me the same thing, it was a cool way to introduce that part of the game in a way that's both a really cool discovery and makes sure you don't miss it by spreading out the messengers.

Gotten half of the shrines so far and a little over 100 Korok seeds. Speaking of Koroks I did get the Master Sword as well, I happened upon it with exactly the right amount of upgrades where I had enough health to pull it out once I respecced all my stamina into health. It's interesting that the Master Sword is both optional, and you can get it quite early. All you need is to do 40 shrines to get up to 13 hearts, and then go through the forest.

I love the music. It's got the right ambience for the different places and times. I mentioned Rito Village already, and I also really like the Hyrule Castle music having Ganondorf's theme in it.

Gotten the royal white horse as well as the giant horse which I assume is a reference to Ganondorf's horse. That thing is totally badass, it's got power to just slam through anything in the way, and while it's not the fastest (but still pretty fast), with infinite stamina he can get up to speed and stay there indefinitely.

Currently I'm just grinding out mats so I can upgrade all my armor, which I've gotten everything except the Dark Link costume from Kilton and the rest of the amiibo outfits aside from the TP one since the only LoZ amiibo I have is Smash Bros Link. My favorite armor is probably the Barbarian set because it looks good and gives 50% more damage when wearing the full set, and fully upgraded it gives 60 points of defence which is pretty good (compared to the Soldier and Ancient armor sets giving 84 fully upgraded). The champion tunic is useful, too, and has 32 defence when fully upgraded.

I spent so long farming Lynels for their guts I just have a full inventory of Savage Lynel weapons, bows, and shields, and they're really good. All of the bows have x3 arrows at a base, but some I have power boosted up to, like, 50, and others have x5 arrows. The Sheikah Sensor is super useful for hunting down the enemies/wildlife/rocks for getting the mats I need, as well. And I love cataloging all the pictures, it's like in Wind Waker when you gathered the images for the figurines.

My one issues is that the way you can cut people off in conversations is kinda dickish for Link. And there was one quest to get the snow/sand boots where you're talking to this guy who's clearly a virgin, and to do the quests you're in your Gerudo outfit female disguise so he's trying to hit on you, while the entire time you only care about getting the loot and in the end you shut him down when he asks you out. I felt so bad for him.

Also, all your old friends are dead, when I got through Mipha's divine beast and found her spirit I was so sad, I'd ship her with Link so hard. Though I also like Paya a lot, and she's alive.

I do also adore Zelda's characterization in this. Seeing her interact with Link and the others in the memories was really cool. She feels like an actual character more than she ever has (sorry Tetra but after you put on the dress you barely did anything).

The voices are all really good in this, too. I do still wish I had the option for dual audio just so I could experience both, but I have no complaints about the English dub. I first noticed it when the King revealed himself and had that long cutscene, I really liked his voice. Zelda's took a bit of getting used to but just like I enjoyed learning about her character I got into her voice a lot, too. Rivali's voice is perfect as are the other champs, it's all just really good voice acting imo.

I have yet to go through the castle much (I only did it a little to get the Hylian Shield), but I hope some part of the Ganon fight involves him taking on his Ganondorf form. I'd love to see what sort of design his human form would have in this game, if he's just a big monster the whole time I'll be kinda sad.

Also, the monster masks that you get from Kilton are so awesome. They look good, have a nice use, and I love the poses Link takes on as part of the disguise.

[spoiler=my big post on BotW - SPOILERS]Absolutely loving it so far. The world is large but dense enough where I never feel like I'm not doing anything for too long.

Gotten all four of the Divine Beasts now, I did Mipha's first which was nice because her ability is super useful. If I ever make a new playthrough, though, I'm going for Rivali's first because his ability has so much utility for getting around and stuff. Also, that sweet Dragon Roost Island remix for Rito Village.

Speaking of Mipha, I love how I just stumbled into it. I wasn't planning on doing any of the Divine Beast stuff for awhile, I was just exploring and come upon a Zora telling me to meet their prince. On my way I run into several Zoras telling me the same thing, it was a cool way to introduce that part of the game in a way that's both a really cool discovery and makes sure you don't miss it by spreading out the messengers.

Gotten half of the shrines so far and a little over 100 Korok seeds. Speaking of Koroks I did get the Master Sword as well, I happened upon it with exactly the right amount of upgrades where I had enough health to pull it out once I respecced all my stamina into health. It's interesting that the Master Sword is both optional, and you can get it quite early. All you need is to do 40 shrines to get up to 13 hearts, and then go through the forest.

I love the music. It's got the right ambience for the different places and times. I mentioned Rito Village already, and I also really like the Hyrule Castle music having Ganondorf's theme in it.

Gotten the royal white horse as well as the giant horse which I assume is a reference to Ganondorf's horse. That thing is totally badass, it's got power to just slam through anything in the way, and while it's not the fastest (but still pretty fast), with infinite stamina he can get up to speed and stay there indefinitely.

Currently I'm just grinding out mats so I can upgrade all my armor, which I've gotten everything except the Dark Link costume from Kilton and the rest of the amiibo outfits aside from the TP one since the only LoZ amiibo I have is Smash Bros Link. My favorite armor is probably the Barbarian set because it looks good and gives 50% more damage when wearing the full set, and fully upgraded it gives 60 points of defence which is pretty good (compared to the Soldier and Ancient armor sets giving 84 fully upgraded). The champion tunic is useful, too, and has 32 defence when fully upgraded.

I spent so long farming Lynels for their guts I just have a full inventory of Savage Lynel weapons, bows, and shields, and they're really good. All of the bows have x3 arrows at a base, but some I have power boosted up to, like, 50, and others have x5 arrows. The Sheikah Sensor is super useful for hunting down the enemies/wildlife/rocks for getting the mats I need, as well. And I love cataloging all the pictures, it's like in Wind Waker when you gathered the images for the figurines.

My one issues is that the way you can cut people off in conversations is kinda dickish for Link. And there was one quest to get the snow/sand boots where you're talking to this guy who's clearly a virgin, and to do the quests you're in your Gerudo outfit female disguise so he's trying to hit on you, while the entire time you only care about getting the loot and in the end you shut him down when he asks you out. I felt so bad for him.

Also, all your old friends are dead, when I got through Mipha's divine beast and found her spirit I was so sad, I'd ship her with Link so hard. Though I also like Paya a lot, and she's alive.

I do also adore Zelda's characterization in this. Seeing her interact with Link and the others in the memories was really cool. She feels like an actual character more than she ever has (sorry Tetra but after you put on the dress you barely did anything).

The voices are all really good in this, too. I do still wish I had the option for dual audio just so I could experience both, but I have no complaints about the English dub. I first noticed it when the King revealed himself and had that long cutscene, I really liked his voice. Zelda's took a bit of getting used to but just like I enjoyed learning about her character I got into her voice a lot, too. Rivali's voice is perfect as are the other champs, it's all just really good voice acting imo.

I have yet to go through the castle much (I only did it a little to get the Hylian Shield), but I hope some part of the Ganon fight involves him taking on his Ganondorf form. I'd love to see what sort of design his human form would have in this game, if he's just a big monster the whole time I'll be kinda sad.

Also, the monster masks that you get from Kilton are so awesome. They look good, have a nice use, and I love the poses Link takes on as part of the disguise.

[spoiler=About Ganon]

So Calamity Ganon is Ganondorf right?

Ganon would be king of the Gerudos

But Calamity Ganon had the lighting calamity slay the Gerudo champion

When did he forsake his own kind? The original reason he attacked Hyrule for for his people afterall?

Completely agree with the Mipha part. Her making him that armor and then dying before telling him is really heartbreaking. I don't get why she can't visit her father though or why Link cannot use the healing grace on her

:(

Lol my brother kept getting lost in the Master Sword maze so he beat CG w/o it lol

Completely agree with the Mipha

Pretty neat theory on where BOTW fits in

spoilers tho

[spoiler=Ganon]At one point some Gerudo (I believe it's actually Urbosa but I don't remember exactly) mentions that Calamity Ganon once took on the form of a Gerudo, meaning it is the same Ganondorf/Ganon from OoT/WW/TP/etc. As for why he'd attack his own people, the whole "Calamity" thing and being a big smoke monster makes me think he's not the same man he once was. The complete opposite of how he was in WW.

[spoiler=Master Sword maze]The trick is to follow the embers from the torches blowing in the wind. At one point you need to light your own torch and follow the embers as the wind direction changes.

[spoiler=Ganon]At one point some Gerudo (I believe it's actually Urbosa but I don't remember exactly) mentions that Calamity Ganon once took on the form of a Gerudo, meaning it is the same Ganondorf/Ganon from OoT/WW/TP/etc. As for why he'd attack his own people, the whole "Calamity" thing and being a big smoke monster makes me think he's not the same man he once was. The complete opposite of how he was in WW.

[spoiler=Master Sword maze]The trick is to follow the embers from the torches blowing in the wind. At one point you need to light your own torch and follow the embers as the wind direction changes.

[spoiler=Ganon]

I wonder what drove him so crazy he forgot his original mission

General Trend, the more ugly the boss becomes, the more twisted and misguided they are

Lota lore potential

Have you seen the secret ending?

I like how they made sure to include sword beams with the Master Sword, if it's in its powered up state you attack like you're throwing a weapon. Of course you can't ever throw the Master Sword away, so it shoots its sword beams instead.

Also, in case anyone isn't doing this already, definitely make a habit of marking on your map any locations you fight the wild minibosses (Lynel, Talus, Hinox) so you can save their location for later, since everything like that respawns with the blood moons. It's saved me a lot of time grinding out materials by knowing exactly where I need to go.

• 5 weeks later...

No. Urbosa's dialogue saying he once took on the form of a Gerudo pretty much confirms that he was originally Ganondorf who started with OoT (granted there's only ever been two Ganons unlike the multitude of Links/Zeldas so it's not like there needs to be a lot of process of elimination). He was the King of the Gerudo since he was the one male born every 100 years, he's not of the Hylian race (not to be confused with Hyrulean, which is the nationality of those who live in Hyrule) and has no relation to their royal family.

No. Urbosa's dialogue saying he once took on the form of a Gerudo pretty much confirms that he was originally Ganondorf who started with OoT (granted there's only ever been two Ganons unlike the multitude of Links/Zeldas so it's not like there needs to be a lot of process of elimination). He was the King of the Gerudo since he was the one male born every 100 years, he's not of the Hylian race (not to be confused with Hyrulean, which is the nationality of those who live in Hyrule) and has no relation to their royal family.

Sorry, I meant the Gerudo royal family. You know the ones that the thunder helm is passed down from.

Gannon kinda killed his decedent 

I don't think Ganondorf had any children, at the very least it's not covered in any of the games, I believe. Every 100 years a man is born among the Gerudo who is destined to become their king, it's just part of their culture, and I don't think it has anything to do with the chiefs like Riju or her late mother. They probably just have female chiefs whenever there's not a male to be king.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally know what's coming in the first DLC pack and it looks cool (well, maybe "cool" isn't the right word for the Tingle outfit at least): http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/

Also there's an update out now that adds language options. You could technically do it before by changing the system settings of your Switch but that would also change all the text to the chosen language, this is a simple menu option that just changes the audio so you can choose to listen to your preferred language.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived