Dova

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to enter if it isnt too late

[spoiler=Entry]

lcwKDOS.jpg

2 Level 8 Synchro Monsters

If this card is Xyz Summoned by using a DARK Dragon-Type Synchro Monster as a Material: You can destroy all other monsters on the field OR all Spell/Trap Cards on the field, then inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card destroyed. Monsters other than this card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect. During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects, also neither player can activate cards or the effects of cards with the same name as that target while this card is on the field. You can only use each effect of "Void Dragon Archfiend" once per turn.

[spoiler=Reasoning]Void Ogre Dragon and Scarlight Red Dragon archfiend combination

Based in odd eyes rebellion (but a little more usefull)

I ve previously posted the card but adapted the materials for the contest

Life Flame, Fairy Dragon / Fairy Dragon of mystical flames
Bunilla + lvl 1Fairy-type monster + Pupalis, the purple pyrotile Synchro monster.
Must be special summoned using polymerization.(from your extra deck)
[Level 4/ATK 1350/DEF 2350/Fairy-type/Fire-Attribute] 
[Monster/Effect/Fusion/Tuner]
This card is also treated as a level 1 monster while in the graveyard.

If this cards is your graveyard and all the materials are in the graveyard as well, you can remove the materials from the graveyard and special summon this monster, and it becomes\is treated as a Synchro monster instead of Fusion monster.
When this card is summoned while there are monsters whos attack is lower then their original attack, this card gains the difference to its ATK 
When this card is sent to the graveyard all monsters in your opponents control lose  550 ATK.
(Side effect against "instant fusion")
If there are no monsters in the graveyard/removed from play that are listed for its Fusion, this card is returned to the extra deck.

I know the contest is over an I just got to the website, but I wanted to share the idea :'|

Life Flame, Fairy Dragon / Fairy Dragon of mystical flames

Bunilla + lvl 1Fairy-type monster + Pupalis, the purple pyrotile Synchro monster.

Must be special summoned using polymerization.(from your extra deck)

[Level 4/ATK 1350/DEF 2350/Fairy-type/Fire-Attribute] 

[Monster/Effect/Fusion/Tuner]

This card is also treated as a level 1 monster while in the graveyard.

If this cards is your graveyard and all the materials are in the graveyard as well, you can remove the materials from the graveyard and special summon this monster, and it becomes\is treated as a Synchro monster instead of Fusion monster.

When this card is summoned while there are monsters whos attack is lower then their original attack, this card gains the difference to its ATK 

When this card is sent to the graveyard all monsters in your opponents control lose  550 ATK.

(Side effect against "instant fusion")

If there are no monsters in the graveyard/removed from play that are listed for its Fusion, this card is returned to the extra deck.

I know the contest is over an I just got to the website, but I wanted to share the idea :'|

Please don't do this. If the contest is closed, don't post another card out of nowhere.

It's not a bad thing to ask feedback on a card, but you're doing it in the wrong place and in the wrong time. You should've posted this card as a separate card in either the Advanced/Casual areas, as opposed to a completed contest like this one.

If you really want Dova's feedback on the card, just PM him the written card as opposed to doing this.

So I'm assuming you'll be done with this soon, since you took care of Yuuji's Competition? 

Sorry for the late reply. Expect results before Friday! Had a lot of deadlines to catch up with. I apologize to everyone deeply for the inconvenience, as I took up too much work to do, not to mention exams. I'll be sure to leave my plate more empty next time so I can give everyone their results faster.

Sincerely,

Dova the Deadline Avoider

Sorry for the late reply. Expect results before Friday! Had a lot of deadlines to catch up with. I apologize to everyone deeply for the inconvenience, as I took up too much work to do, not to mention exams. I'll be sure to leave my plate more empty next time so I can give everyone their results faster.

Sincerely,

Dova the Deadline Avoider

Don't sweat it, just curious. We're in no rush, so put your priorities first. Thanks for getting back to me BTW

[spoiler=Soulfire][spoiler=Card]Wind-Up Disruptor Zenmaios | Earth
Rank 5
Machine/Xyz/Effect
2 Rank 4 Xyz Monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by using 1 "Wind-Up" Xyz monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) Once per turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target up to 2 face-up cards on the field; set them.
2700/1800

Balance/Usability: 20
So, you can Summon this card with a Wind-Up Xyz or any 2 Level 4s? Guess that works. While it is somewhat useful in Wind-Ups, is it useful by it’s Normal Summon requirements? Well, it clears up your field for one thing. And second off, it’s a double book of moon that’s SS1. This would be really useful in Ghostricks, but no Level 4s. But wait, it can recycle Continuous Spells/Traps! Partially, yes, and that’s something. This card is weak, but it certainly can have its uses, along with not bad stats.

Creativity/Flavour: 6
Doesn’t really fit with Wind-Ups, other than one or two card effects. This, combined with the fact that the effect itself isn’t too creative, lowers this card’s score, but that F0 mechanic is interesting.

OCG/Grammar: 4.5
A grammar issue, and phrasing issues with the last effect.

Total: 30.5

[spoiler=Spell Counter King][spoiler=Card]Number -0: Sarzik, Dark Hole
DARK
Rank 12
4000 / 3000
Fiend / Xyz / Effect
This card's Xyz Materials must be 3 "Number" Xyz monsters, and can not be any other monster (Xyz Materials attached to those cards also become Xyz Materials to this card). Can only be Xyz Summoned. When Summoned, destroy all cards on the field, except this card. This card cannot attack directly. This card can not be destroyed by battle. Once, you can remove all of this card's Xyz Materials and activate 1 of these effects, depending on how many Xyz Materials were detached from this card:
1 - 2: Destroy all of your opponent's monsters.
3 - 4: Destroy all of your opponent's cards.
4 - 5: Target up to 3 of your opponent's cards: Add them to your hand.
5 - 6: Target up to 3 of your opponent's cards: Add them to your hand, and destroy all of your opponent's other monsters.
7 +: This card can attack directly, also, your opponent can not activate effects in response to an attack from this card.

Balance/Usability: 11
Not even sure how to comment on this. Because all the effects are so over the top, all I can do is see if the summoning conditions make it worth it or actually over the top. And….it’s not. Like, really not. All you need, is, let’s say, 101, 39, and 44. In fact, there are so many generic R4 Xyzs that if you can get 3 out in one turn (which is easy) or you keep one out one turn and summon 2 the next (thanks nodern), make this card ridiculously overpowered...except that you can destroyed it by card effects, and you can negate its effects, and you can do anything you want to kill it. I just...eh...this card is on the borderline of too strong and too weak...and your opponent’s field really affects this card’s usefulness.

Creativity/Flavour: 4
*sigh* This really just seems like “mandatorily OP hard to get boss” that you cannot get over if your opponent summons it. There’s nothing here of interest other than the high stats.

OCG/Grammar: 3
Grammar issues, OCG issues, and the Summoning condition is very iffy.

Total: 18

[spoiler=Donar][spoiler=Card]qfOrthE.jpg
2 Level 4 Synchro Monsters
If a face-up "Old Entity Hastorr" you control is equipped to an opponent's monster, you can Xyz Summon this card using it and the equipped monster as Xyz Materials (Xyz Materials attached to the equipped monster become attached to this monster, if possible). While you control a face-up "Old Entity Hastorr", this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then activate 1 of the following effects:
• Special Summon 1 "Old Entity Hastorr" from your Extra Deck or Graveyard, then destroy it.
• Target 1 "Old Entity Hastorr" you control; Destroy it, then Special Summon it during your next Standby Phase.

Balance/Usability: 26
Focuses itself around one monster? Rather temperamental, but can work really well as a combo deck together. I feel it is very spammy, but again, one card focus, so not bad. The protection from targeting isn’t too useful, as you will be destroying it whenever you get the chance, but your opponent will be running out of monsters fast, as the speed of this card puts Greydles to shame. Final Verdict is that it’s really powerful, but requires effort to put into it. Perhaps not as much as it should have, but still, I like it.

Creativity/Flavour: 13
Well, the lore behind this card’s idea combined with the base card is very neat. I think you pulled it off very well! I just feel that maybe you went a little over the top with the focus on that one effect, and didn’t leave the opportunity to expand on it.

OCG/Grammar: 5
:3

Total: 44

[spoiler=cardgameking][spoiler=Card]Zefravatar of Innocence and Deception
LIGHT - Rank 6 - Psychic/Xyz/Pendulum/Effect - 2000 ATk 1400 DEf
Pendulum Effect (Scales 1/1): You can destroy 2 face-up Zefra or Fusion monsters you control: place this face-up card from your Extra Deck face-up into one of your empty Pendulum zones, then draw 1 card. If you Pendulum Summon Lvl 6, you cam Pendulum Summon this card. You cannot Pendulum summon unless you have another "Zefra" card in your other Pendulum card. This card's Pendulum effects cannot be negated.
Monster Effect:
(2 Lvl 6 Fusion monsters)
When this card is Xyz or Pendulum Summoned Summoned, you can discard 1 card: Special Summon 1 Pendulum monster from your hand; and add 1 "Zefra" card from deck to hand. During either player's turn, when a "Zefra" or Fusion monster you control battles, you can switch this card's ATK and DEF: negate the effects of all monsters on your opponent's field and in their hand until the end phase (This is a Quick Effect).Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card: Send 1 monster from your deck to graveyard then, if the sent monster was a "Zefra" or "Shaddoll" monster, you can banish 1 WIND or "Zefra" monster from your deck. You can only use each effect of "Zefravatar of Innocence and Deception” once per turn and only once that turn.

Balance/Usability: 12
With the massive culmination of effects, while I feel that a few of these on their own wouldn’t be a problem, they are a little powerful. Little being the key word here, as bringing this guy out...WHY LEVEL 6 FUSION MONSTERS?! *ahem* The only Fusion Summoning of this card you will be doing is not even pure Zefras, but Ritual Beasts with a few Zefras spliced in, possibly a Shaddoll! Level 6 Fusions aren’t exactly easy to come by, and yes, while Fusions in Zefras have very varying levels, you could’ve worked around that! Right now, while some of the effects are really useful, like the foolish burial, banishing, and the draw to place in Pendulum Zon- I just realized how broken that effect is if you had two of them face-up in your Extra Deck. It would be like Igknights, except drawing instead of searching. All in all, this card is just all over the place, and I feel you got the idea but put little effort into making sure it worked.

Creativity/Flavour: 9
The idea behind this card is great. I feel this card supports Zefra’s really well, by doing what they want to do, and using their sort of effects, but I feel you stuffed too much in here. Like, far too much, not to mention the Summoning conditions don’t really fit.

OCG/Grammar: 1
You clearly have an idea of what you are doing, but the whole thing feels rushed. I could point out all the flaws, but if you look at it with fresh eyes you’ll see that proofreading wasn’t done too well. At all.

Total: 22

[spoiler=Yuuji Kazami][spoiler=Card]TgHroLC.jpeg
1 Synchro Monster + 1 Xyz Monster
Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by banishing the above cards from either field, but you must banish an equal number of monsters on each side, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (You do not use "Polymerization".) During the turn that you Special Summon this card, you cannot Special Summon other monsters for the remainder of the turn, except by its own effect. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster on the field that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck; Special Summon 1 monster from your Deck whose Level is less than the targeted monster's Level, but its effects are negated. You can only control 1 "Twilight Goddess".

Balance/Usability: 27
Well, might I say that the fact that you can use your opponent’s card to Summon this card is really neat, as it could be a potential side card in many a Synchro/Xyz Deck, as its free removal for whatever other card your opponent has. An interesting thing to note about the effect is the fact that you can instantly use it on itself to Summon a Level 7 or lower monster from your Deck, and, to be honest, I feel that it's too speedy, considering many of the decks which could summon this card have effects that activate off the field, and if you have an Xyz or Synchro Deck it won’t be too hard to get them off. However, this is balanced by the Special Summoning Limitation, slowing it down until the next turn, and, if you can combo then, you deserve it. Maybe still a little powerful as you can negate, but mostly fine.

Creativity/Flavour: 14
Synchro + Xyz = Fusion. Nice touch, not to mention the unique effects are really interesting, as opposed to random. The Summoning conditions makes it a neat side and generic, but it doesn’t really have any lore or anything. Not needed that much, though.

OCG/Grammar: 4
Either side of the field, and I feel the SS limitation could’ve been phrased better.

Total: 45

[spoiler=Re-Creator][spoiler=Card]Number C44: Scourge Pegasus
Rank 5 / LIGHT
Beast / Xyz / Effect
4 Level 4 OR 3 Level 5 Monster
Cannot Special Summoned with a "Rank-Up-Magic" Spell Card, Unless it targeting "Number" Monster. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, you can send 1 card your opponent control to Graveyard. if you active this effect by detaching "Number 44: Sky Pegasus",Your opponent cannot respond to this effect activation. During each of Your Standby Phase, Banish all cards in your opponent Graveyard that sent there by Battle and/or Effect of this card and/or with "Number 44: Sky Pegasus" you own face-down. unless your opponent pay LP in multiple of 300 for each of those card(s).
ATK 2500 / DEF 2300

Balance/Usability: 18
Ranked up cards have always been a bit on the weak card, so I’m glad to see something like this go up a notch in terms of the first effect. The second effect is kind of underwhelming, as while it would be useful for cards with float effects, it is far too slow for that to be the reason why, and all it does it empty the graveyards of flow decks, as they rearrange their graveyard quite often. However, it’s too reliant on Sky Pegasus to be much use. If only it had the gain an effect if it was attached, but no it only works if you actually use the Sky Pegasus, and for one of those effects only once. While a good idea, I don’t think it was pulled off well.

Creativity/Flavour: 10
Well...you certainly upgraded the effect of Sky Pegasus, and you had an interesting Summoning condition, but the effects seem spliced in, and too reliant on its first card. Not to mention it doesn’t gain an effect from Sky Pegasus, just uses it once.

OCG/Grammar: 1
Unlike that other entry, this card is very lacking when it comes to OCG. A pain to look at, capitals are missing, grammar mistakes. Would award a 0, but you had some idea of what you were doing. The sad thing is you’ve edited this card twice by now.

Total: 29

[spoiler=VCR_Cat][spoiler=Card]1zA2uEW.png
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
For this card's Synchro Summon, all non-Tuner monsters must be Xyz Monsters, treating their Ranks as if they were Levels. Must first be Synchro Summoned. Once per turn, you can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Equip this card to that target, then take control of that target and it gains 3000 ATK and DEF, but it cannot be Tributed or be used as a Material for a Special Summon. This equipped card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. If the monster this card is equipped to would leave the field, Special Summon this card from your S/T Card Zone.

Balance/Usability: 17
The first thing that comes to mind is the stats, and at how high they are for a Level 8 Synchro. Yes, it needs an Xyz, but any R4 Spam, especially with pends, can easily bring out another Level 4 Tuner to do this. Again, Xyz, especially as it might have mats, but a lot of Xyzs can outlive their usefulness with just one mat, only to get nuked next turn, so this would be a good way to use it. The target to equip makes this faster than many other controlling cards, and is only really limited by effect negation and prevention from targeting, as when equipped, you cannot get rid of it unless you get rid of the equipped monster, and that 3000 ATK and DEF makes getting over it an impossible task except through cards like Honest. And you get it back afterwards. Fabulous. I may be missing something here, but a card like this is really strongl. If only it was an odd level...

Creativity/Flavour: 9
I don’t get this card. The name is random, the type is psychic even though it looks like a machine, it's DARK for no reason other than evil. Creative, maybe, but it doesn’t have a clear theme.

The requirements could’ve just been place in the actual requirements, with the level/rank thing added later, but this is a new effect.

Total: 31

[spoiler=Archlight Lux][spoiler=Card]Miracle Dragon King
LIGHT / *10
Dragon / Fusion / Effect
3000 / 2500
2 Dragon-type Synchro Monsters
Must be Fusion Summoned and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card gains 300 ATK for each of your banished Dragon-type Synchro Monsters. While this card is face-up on the field, it is unaffected by your opponent's monster effects. While this card is in your Graveyard or is banished, it is treated as a Synchro Monster. If this card is sent to the Graveyard or is banished: Add 1 "Miracle Synchro Fusion" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand.

Balance/Usability: 29
I really don’t know how I feel about this card. It doesn’t seem too strong, but dragons are easily spammed in Synchro decks, and this card literally recycles itself. It’s basically a different form of Crystal Wing, with ATK boost done differently and the response to monster effects protection rather than negation. I actually feel that putting this in a Synchro deck would slow it down, and considering they aren't tier 0 to begin with, I don’t think it’s too strong. All in all, I feel this is a really balanced card, but I’d have to go with a tiny bit of weakness, because Synchro deck.

Creativity/Flavour: 12
The effect works nicely with the idea behind Miracle Synchro Fusion, not to mention the idea as a whole, so it makes a nice dragon for that card. But some of the effects just seem to be there to be there.

Total: 46

[spoiler=Yugster Major][spoiler=Card]uwcZT3H.jpg
2 Level 3 monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card while 1 Level 3 "Ghost" monster with 0 ATK & 1800 DEF is the only monster you control, by using that monster and 1 monster your opponent controls that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck as Xyz Materials (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card). Once per turn, You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Add 1 "Ghost" monster with 0 ATK & 1800 DEF from your Graveyard to your hand. You may only control 1 "Ghost Lumen and Frost Bear".

Balance/Usability: 28
The first thing to note is how well this works as a side in combination with the other Ghosts. It counters almost all extra deck cards for a cost of you limiting your own plays, as you will end up with only this monster on your side of the field, and as we all know many decks have cards which work best if you have no monsters. The detach to add is great, as it can not only bring back Ghosts you have already used, but also the one you just used to Xyz, and that in itself is helpful in a generic way. My only complain about this card is the low stats, and how easy it is to get rid of. It really is one of those one-time Xyzs….

Creativity/Flavour: 15
This card is beautiful. It perfectly does what that series of cards wants to do and supports them well, and is original enough in itself, while being simple at the same time.

Comma instead of colon.

Total: 47.5

[spoiler=Enguin][spoiler=Card]6a95b388d04d6b29e4a425c3addd2f2d.png
(This card's original Level is treated as 13). Cannot be Synchro Summoned. Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by Tributing 2 Synchro monsters you control whose total Levels exceed 12. This card's ATK and DEF become the combined ATK and DEF of the monsters Tributed for its Summon. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can halve this card's ATK and DEF: Special Summon 1 monster from either player's Graveyard. While you control another face-up Synchro monster, this card is unaffected by other card effects.

Balance/Usability: 26
Another one of these non-rank Synchros, and to be honest, I like this one a lot more than either of them, especially the most recent one. This card replaces the targeting protection with just plain effect protection, and the attack prevention with a high attack, which I feel is a better thing to do, as it allows your opponent to hit it, they just have to hit it (very) hard, although it does become offensive. Then again, the perfect way to balance this cards was the ATK loss, and, while it is a neat addition, I feel it outlives its usefulness after one use, as after that the ATK will probably be too low to actually be helpful, however that one use is all it needs. All in all, while this card may be a bit weak when it comes to Synchro Spamming, it can hold its own.

Well, I can’t take marks off for being random, as that was the intention, however I do feel that you could’ve explored that concept a bit more. Both the effect and the card as a whole are interesting, they just don’t connect well.

Doesn’t say if it can be Special Summoned by other ways.

Total: 40.5

[spoiler=Hexanort][spoiler=Card]EUp1bDH.jpg
2 Fusion,Synchro and/or Xyz Summoned Monsters.
You can Special Summon this card (from the Extra Deck) to your opponent's field by Banishing the above Fusion Materials your opponent control face-down. If this card is Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, This card is unaffected by other card effects until your next End Phase.While you control another monster, Halve any Battle Damage your opponent takes from battles involving this card. While you control this card, Negate any effects activated by monsters you own whose ATK is lower than this card's current DEF. During each your End Phases, take 2000 damage (this effect cannot be negated).

Balance/Usability: 21
I feel this card is far too powerful, as it Summons without even Tributing by using cards your opponent controls. They have no way of knowing whether you have this card or not, and if you have Tribute Protection that’s not stopping this card, and while having an out to that sort of OP boss, this card does it with little to no effort. I mean yes, your opponent gets a 5000 beater, but first off, you only take half damage from this card, your opponent takes 2000 damage, and your opponent’s effects are negated. The only other bad thing for you as the Summoner is the fact that is unaffected by card effects for one of your turns, and I think you could easily survive a turn with this card out. The Summoning conditions literally require your opponent to only have 2 monsters summoned from the extra, really limiting your opponent’s play.

This is a great idea for a card, I just feel it was pulled off badly. Like, maybe have it be able to banish monsters on different sides of the field to choose who controls it, but right now it just seems like mandatorily dangerous Acid Golem.

OCG/Grammar: 3
Bad grammar, side of the field, and other cards’ effects.

Total: 34

[spoiler=JuanoGS][spoiler=Card]lcwKDOS.jpg
2 Level 8 Synchro Monsters
If this card is Xyz Summoned by using a DARK Dragon-Type Synchro Monster as a Material: You can destroy all other monsters on the field OR all Spell/Trap Cards on the field, then inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card destroyed. Monsters other than this card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect. During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects, also neither player can activate cards or the effects of cards with the same name as that target while this card is on the field. You can only use each effect of "Void Dragon Archfiend" once per turn.

Balance/Usability: 18
Well, this card certainly has stringent Summoning Conditions, as normally if you have 2 Level 8 Synchros you’ll want to keep them, so the question is, is this card worth it? The stats don’t incline me to think so at first, and, while the nuking is very helpful, A) it destroys, B) it can be responded to. The burn damage is alright tho. That effect negation is a rather neat trick, as it can kill many different decks, and reminds me of that Heraldic Xyz. While being a strong Xyz, I feel the Summoning condition is too much to bring it out, and that first effect, while being useful in a few scenarios, limits it even further.

Creativity/Flavour: 13
Well, I see any idea for the combination, and the effect combines both nicely, but I’m unsure why you chose them both for this Xyz.

Total: 36

[spoiler=Totals:]1. Yugster Major 47.5
2. Archlight Lux 46
3. Yuuji Kazami 45
4. Donar 44
5. Enguin 40.5
6. JuanoGS 36
7. Hexanort 34
8. VCR Cat 31
9. Soulfire 30.5
10. Re-Creator 29
11. cardgameking 22
12. Spell Counter King 19

If you feel I made an error, please say so.

Nothing major in the complaints, but a few things I feel I need to clarify.

For balance/usability, some things I should point out:

- The pool of level 4 tuners a deck can viability run with R4 is extremely low, and consistency as well. There definitely are ones that exist that they can run and use, but more often than not a Rank 4 deck has to go out of its way to run one of them, since a R4 deck has historically almost never been also Level 8 Synchro oriented, save cards like Dracoslayers that can't be used for it anyways. While this would theoretically be a means to make it work, there isn't much that can actually do it without too many hoops to jump through in terms of consistency and viability. I feel like you maybe should've taken more time to look at the level 4 tuners that exist and ask yourself what the best combo to use would be, and what the most commonly used combo would be in respect to that (if the best one mentioned is very situational). In most cases, a Rank 5+ engine will be easier to summon this card with, but will still require a significant enough commitment to summon. Especially considering that not many Synchro decks overlap with Xyz strategies easily beyond "Well I can anyways" and vice versa, I felt that the effort needed is at a good place as being like a Crystal Wing except actually harder.

- The equip-to-steal effect is fast and effective, yes, but I feel like the only real misstep I made in this execution was allowing the monster stollen to attack directly the turn you use the effect. Otherwise, negating its effects and not offering any additional protection beyond the stat boost creates many openings for a lot of decks to generically and effectively deal with the stolen monster, and then with the main boss immediately after. The reason I added the protection-on-equip effects and the summon-when-it-leaves effects was not to undermine the effort needed to summon it. Considering the awkward techs needed to run this, and effort needed, it shouldn't be just easily dealt with by removing the equip and who cares; it's a full-fledged boss and should play as such. It's not impossible to deal with, and many decks should be able to get rid of him without needing to make any changes to their builds or strategies. Remember that the monster stolen can be removed by any and all means; you deal with the stolen monster, then you deal with the boss.

- Like I said, the real misstep I made was allowing the stolen monster to attack directly or at all the turn it's stolen; and I will take responsibility for not having remembered to patch that in before the contest ended.

On Flavor/Theme:

- The theme was that I was working with the concept of Xyz monsters being summoned from beyond a black-hole. Nightmare Exaflayer is supposed to be a dimensional creature that acts as a sort of parasite on monsters, corrupting them and turning them against their owners. It may look like a Machine, but the typing is more accurate to how it functions and its flavor as something more along the lines as a cyborg or alien rather than a robot; something from beyond a dimension. I considered making it a D.D. monster, but it didn't roll off the tongue very well. Flayer as a word means to peel off skin or an outer layer; or to deprive or strip of money/property. Beyond being summoned from black-hole means as an extra-terrestrial being, it strips away a monster's free will and takes control of them. While it may not look like a Psychic monster, I felt that type fit its flavor and functionality better than machine. DARK is also supposed to be representative of the black-hole aspect.

On OCG/text:

- What I did was not incorrect and does not warrant a hit. I felt a text specification for the non-tuner requirements was better because it already required text for the use of Xyz Monsters as non-tuners. I chose this route because it's not mechanically correct for a Synchro Monster to require an Xyz monster as a material. Because of a mechanically different summoning requirement, ala Ultimaya or Bishbaalkin, I felt it better to go with pure text specification on non-Tuners being Xyz monsters. Regardless; the hit feels too much for something not technically incorrect and still properly written; a nitpick, if you will.

Nothing major in the complaints, but a few things I feel I need to clarify.

For balance/usability, some things I should point out:

- The pool of level 4 tuners a deck can viability run with R4 is extremely low, and consistency as well. There definitely are ones that exist that they can run and use, but more often than not a Rank 4 deck has to go out of its way to run one of them, since a R4 deck has historically almost never been also Level 8 Synchro oriented, save cards like Dracoslayers that can't be used for it anyways. While this would theoretically be a means to make it work, there isn't much that can actually do it without too many hoops to jump through in terms of consistency and viability. I feel like you maybe should've taken more time to look at the level 4 tuners that exist and ask yourself what the best combo to use would be, and what the most commonly used combo would be in respect to that (if the best one mentioned is very situational). In most cases, a Rank 5+ engine will be easier to summon this card with, but will still require a significant enough commitment to summon. Especially considering that not many Synchro decks overlap with Xyz strategies easily beyond "Well I can anyways" and vice versa, I felt that the effort needed is at a good place as being like a Crystal Wing except actually harder.

- The equip-to-steal effect is fast and effective, yes, but I feel like the only real misstep I made in this execution was allowing the monster stollen to attack directly the turn you use the effect. Otherwise, negating its effects and not offering any additional protection beyond the stat boost creates many openings for a lot of decks to generically and effectively deal with the stolen monster, and then with the main boss immediately after. The reason I added the protection-on-equip effects and the summon-when-it-leaves effects was not to undermine the effort needed to summon it. Considering the awkward techs needed to run this, and effort needed, it shouldn't be just easily dealt with by removing the equip and who cares; it's a full-fledged boss and should play as such. It's not impossible to deal with, and many decks should be able to get rid of him without needing to make any changes to their builds or strategies. Remember that the monster stolen can be removed by any and all means; you deal with the stolen monster, then you deal with the boss.

- Like I said, the real misstep I made was allowing the stolen monster to attack directly or at all the turn it's stolen; and I will take responsibility for not having remembered to patch that in before the contest ended.

On Flavor/Theme:

- The theme was that I was working with the concept of Xyz monsters being summoned from beyond a black-hole. Nightmare Exaflayer is supposed to be a dimensional creature that acts as a sort of parasite on monsters, corrupting them and turning them against their owners. It may look like a Machine, but the typing is more accurate to how it functions and its flavor as something more along the lines as a cyborg or alien rather than a robot; something from beyond a dimension. I considered making it a D.D. monster, but it didn't roll off the tongue very well. Flayer as a word means to peel off skin or an outer layer; or to deprive or strip of money/property. Beyond being summoned from black-hole means as an extra-terrestrial being, it strips away a monster's free will and takes control of them. While it may not look like a Psychic monster, I felt that type fit its flavor and functionality better than machine. DARK is also supposed to be representative of the black-hole aspect.

On OCG/text:

- What I did was not incorrect and does not warrant a hit. I felt a text specification for the non-tuner requirements was better because it already required text for the use of Xyz Monsters as non-tuners. I chose this route because it's not mechanically correct for a Synchro Monster to require an Xyz monster as a material. Because of a mechanically different summoning requirement, ala Ultimaya or Bishbaalkin, I felt it better to go with pure text specification on non-Tuners being Xyz monsters. Regardless; the hit feels too much for something not technically incorrect and still properly written; a nitpick, if you will.

Balance/Usability:

-Actually, I've seen many a R4 Spam use Level 4 Tuners, including that 1900 plant with unexpected Dai.

-This is mostly fine, except this card does not negate effects.

-Yeah, if you had negated effects as well, I would probably have raised your mark.

Flavour:

- Fair enough, but you didn't tell me.

On OCG/Text: 

- Fair enough.

Balance/Usability:

-Actually, I've seen many a R4 Spam use Level 4 Tuners, including that 1900 plant with unexpected Dai.

It's still a rather inconsistent tech. R4 spam deck isn't a viable deck anymore, and considering that's the only card that's ran in an R4 deck, if it's run at all, doesn't necessarily concern me. It's still a significant investment for one card, and running synchros with Xyz often doesn't work as you may think; and if it does, they're sooner using something like Red Resonator. Only competitive instance of recent that I've seen a level 4 tuner be used with Xyz was Luster Pendulum; and he's xenophobic.

-This is mostly fine, except this card does not negate effects.

-Yeah, if you had negated effects as well, I would probably have raised your mark.

Aw what, I thought I did. I might have removed it or forget. Either way, the best it can steal is protection against destruction, or else it won't be able to steal at all, or more resources will be needed to steal a certain monster (like Crystal Wing); but yeah, I think effect negation would be smart, and I forgot to put it in or back in; it was in there at one point. My b.

Flavour:

- Fair enough, but you didn't tell me.

I shouldn't need to.

I shouldn't need to.

Just want to say on this point of course you should, that sheet you wrote up is not the kind of stuff anyone can reasonably be expected to interpret from a card. You have the option to submit a piece like that alongside the card, some did. If you're going for such an out-there flavour, if you don't explain it I don't see how you thought anyone would understand it. It's not exactly obvious.

Just want to say on this point of course you should, that s*** you wrote up is not the kind of stuff anyone can reasonably be expected to interpret from a card. You have the option to submit a piece like that alongside the card, some did. If you're going for such an out-there flavour, if you don't explain it I don't see how you thought anyone would understand it. It's not exactly obvious.

Someone who is both recruited (or w/e) to judge cards for contests should be expected to have a deep understanding of the game. Even if a flavor is out-there, it should not be expected for a contestant to spoonfeed what their intended flavor should be, but rather a judge should put more effort into understanding a card beyond taking it at face-value and leaving it at that. I'm not going to condone having to spell out aspects of my cards because we should be expecting more from our judges.

Especially considering that a flavor explanation is neither required nor recommended in the contest's guidelines. IF we're going to expect a contestant to explain their card's intended flavors and inspirations with a clear advantage to those who do because it's not expected for a judge to either know or make the effort to know these things, then this needs to be clearly explained and required for a contest. Otherwise, that's poor organization and execution, and that's definitely worse.

Someone who is both recruited (or w/e) to judge cards for contests should be expected to have a deep understanding of the game. Even if a flavor is out-there, it should not be expected for a contestant to spoonfeed what their intended flavor should be, but rather a judge should put more effort into understanding a card beyond taking it at face-value and leaving it at that. I'm not going to condone having to spell out aspects of my cards because we should be expecting more from our judges.

Especially considering that a flavor explanation is neither required nor recommended in the contest's guidelines. IF we're going to expect a contestant to explain their card's intended flavors and inspirations with a clear advantage to those who do because it's not expected for a judge to either know or make the effort to know these things, then this needs to be clearly explained and required for a contest. Otherwise, that's poor organization and execution, and that's definitely worse.

There is deeper understanding and there is mind-reading. Your flavour for what looks like a giant space robot is that it's a mind-controlling parasite that travels through dimensions stripping those that oppose it of their free will and using them as slaves. I don't know what you're expecting of someone just because their name is in yellow but it's not really a pre-requisite to be able to interpret what is a fairly complex concept from a seemingly disconnected artwork and type, and the conflation of a word's definition.

And yes it's not required or recommended in the guidelines but others chose to do it and have done so in previous contests just because with flavour being a section it's somewhat worthwhile if you have something that has deeper thought put into it than just "looks cool, nice name", which is what is the most common level of flavour.

There is deeper understanding and there is mind-reading. Your flavour for what looks like a giant space robot is that it's a mind-controlling parasite that travels through dimensions stripping those that oppose it of their free will and using them as slaves. I don't know what you're expecting of someone just because their name is in yellow but it's not really a pre-requisite to be able to interpret what is a fairly complex concept from a seemingly disconnected artwork and type, and the conflation of a word's definition.

And yes it's not required or recommended in the guidelines but others chose to do it and have done so in previous contests just because with flavour being a section it's somewhat worthwhile if you have something that has deeper thought put into it than just "looks cool, nice name", which is what is the most common level of flavour.

The flavor and design is right there in the mechanics, art, and name. It's not something I spelled out, but the connections are there and makes sense. I will neither baby a card-game judge nor expect them to not spend any effort to research a word or think about it beyond just looking at it. I expect more from someone who was chosen to be a judge, and you should as well and it's things like poor expectations of judges that have lead to this section's decline in quality.

The flavor and design is right there in the mechanics, art, and name. It's not something I spelled out, but the connections are there and makes sense. I will neither baby a card-game judge nor expect them to not spend any effort to research a word or think about it beyond just looking at it. I expect more from someone who was chosen to be a judge, and you should as well and it's things like poor expectations of judges that have lead to this section's decline in quality.

To you yes, to others no. I look at that card I genuinely do not see what you describe. I read your description, I understand the idea at the very least. The art is a giant space robot but you say it's a dimension-leaping psychic mind-controller. The name is Nightmare Exaflayer which implies some sort of supernatural quality for one which it does not have, and the flaying aspect does to a degree correlate but it's again a conflation of the definition rather than something that inherently works. The mechanic is a self-recurring Snatch Steal that for some reason changes the stats. I've never known a parasite to increase the strength of its host. My point being this is not an obvious interpretation.

But this doesn't matter because ultimately you'd the chance to provide this information, you chose not to, and something I've not mentioned but am going to now is it doesn't actually make a difference in the broader context because you're coming nowhere anyway. Think of it as a learning experience if nothing else. You now know that providing context for your card is a helpful thing to do and will never count against you.

Archived