Paleolite (16/16)

shadowsapex

An archetype of dinosaurs that turn into fossils when you discard them.

Paleolite Pterosaur

Lvl 4, 1700/1200, EARTH, Winged Beast

Cannot be Normal or Special Summoned, except by a "Paleo" card's effect. If this card is discarded, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Zones as a Continuous Trap Card. During your opponent's turn, if your opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand, except by drawing: You can discard this card; look at your opponent's hand and shuffle 1 card from their hand into the Deck (this is a Quick Effect). If this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Paleolite" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Paleolite Pterosaur". You can only use each effect of "Paleolite Pterosaur" once per turn.

Paleolite Ammonite

Lvl 1, 200/1400, EARTH, Aqua

Cannot be Normal or Special Summoned, except by a "Paleo" card's effect. If this card is discarded, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Zones as a Continuous Trap Card. During your opponent's turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): You can discard this card; add 1 "Paleolite" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Paleolite Ammonite" (this is a Quick Effect). If this card is Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Paleolite" monster from your Graveyard, except "Paleolite Ammonite". You can only use each effect of "Paleolite Ammonite" once per turn.

Paleolite Trilobite

Lvl 3, 1000/1600, EARTH, Aqua

Cannot be Normal or Special Summoned, except by a "Paleo" card's effect. If this card is discarded, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Zones as a Continuous Trap Card. During your opponent's turn, if your opponent activates a monster effect: You can discard this card; return that monster to the hand (this is a Quick Effect). If this card is Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Paleolite" monster from your Graveyard or your Spell & Trap Zone to your hand, except "Paleolith Trilobite". You can only use each effect of "Paleolite Trilobite" once per turn.

Paleolite Coelacanth

Lvl 2, 1200/1300, EARTH, Fish

Cannot be Normal or Special Summoned, except by a "Paleo" card's effect. If this card is discarded, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Zones as a Continuous Trap Card. During your opponent's turn, if your opponent declares an attack: You can discard this card; change that attacking monster to face-down Defense Position, then you can reveal any number of "Paleo" cards in your hand, and change face-up monsters your opponent controls to face-down Defense Position, equal to the number of cards revealed. (this is a Quick Effect). If this card is Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Paleolite" monster from your Spell & Trap Zone. You can only use each effect of "Paleolite Coelacanth" once per turn.

Paleolite Meganisoptera

Lvl 3, 1600/300, EARTH, Insect

Cannot be Normal or Special Summoned, except by a "Paleo" card's effect. If this card is discarded, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Zones as a Continuous Trap Card. During your opponent's turn, if your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card or effect: You can discard this card; banish that Spell/Trap Card, then you can Normal Summon 1 "Paleolite" monster from your hand (this is a Quick Effect). If this card is Special Summoned: You can place 1 "Paleolite" monster from your Deck face-up in your Spell & Trap Zones as a Continuous Trap Card. You can only use each effect of "Paleolite Meganisoptera" once per turn.

Paleolite Velociraptor

Lvl 4, 1200/900, EARTH, Dinosaur

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Paleolite" card from your Spell & Trap Zone. If this card is discarded, you can place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Zones as a Continuous Trap Card. Once per turn, while this card is face-up in your Spell & Trap Zone, if a "Paleolite" card(s) is sent from your Spell & Trap Zones to the Graveyard: Draw 1 card.

Paleolite Ichthyosaur

Lvl 5, 2200/1500, EARTH, Dinosaur

You can Tribute 1 "Paleolite" card from your Spell & Trap Zone; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is discarded: You can target 1 Attack Position monster on the field; change it to Defense Position. This card inflicts piercing battle damage. If this card destroys a monster by battle: You can target 1 Level 4 or lower "Paleolite" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. 

Paleolite Ankylosaur

Lvl 5, 2100/2300, EARTH, Dinosaur

You can Tribute 1 "Paleolite" card from your Spell & Trap Zone; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is discarded: You can target 1 "Paleolite" monster you control; it is unaffected by other card effects and cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. While this card is face-up on the field, "Paleolite" monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects, except this card. Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Paleolite" monster in your Graveyard, then target 1 "Paleolite" monster in your Graveyard; place it face-up in your Spell & Trap Zone as a Continuous Trap Card.

Paleolite Plesiosaur

Lvl 6, 2000/1200, EARTH, Dinosaur

You can Tribute 1 "Paleolite" card from your Spell & Trap Zone; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is discarded: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it. Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; this card can attack directly this turn. If your opponent Special Summons exactly 1 monster: You can send 1 "Paleolite" card you control with the same Level as that Summoned monster to the Graveyard; send that monster to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Paleolite Plesiosaur" once per turn.

Paleolite Triceratops

Lvl 6, 2500/2300, EARTH, Dinosaur

You can Tribute 1 "Paleolite" card from your Spell & Trap Zone; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is discarded: You can add 1 Level 5 or higher "Paleolite" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Paleolite Triceratops". Once per turn, if another "Paleolite" monster you control battles an opponent's monster: You can change that monster your opponent controls to Defense Position. You can Tribute 1 other "Paleolite" monster; Special Summon 1 "Paleolite" monster from your Spell & Trap Zone. You can only use this effect of "Paleolite Triceratops" once per turn.

Paleolite Stegosaur

Lvl 7, 2800/2400, EARTH, Dinosaur

You can Tribute 2 "Paleolite" cards from your Spell & Trap Zone; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is discarded: You can add 1 "Paleo" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. While this card is face-up on the field, "Paleolite" cards you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects, except this card. During either player's turn, if your opponent activates a monster effect: You can discard 1 "Paleolite" card; negate that activation. You can only use this effect of "Paleolite Stegosaur" once per turn.

Paleolite Tyrannosaur

Lvl 8, 3000/1900, EARTH, Dinosaur

You can Tribute 2 "Paleolite" cards from your Spell & Trap Zone; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is discarded: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it. If this card is Summoned, and you control 3 or more "Paleolite" cards: Your opponent cannot activate Trap Cards or effects for the rest of the turn. Once per turn, if this card destroys a monster by battle: You can activate this effect; this card can make a second attack during this Battle Phase.

Paleo Excavation

Quick-Play Spell

Target 1 "Paleolite" card in your Spell & Trap Zones; Special Summon it. You can banish this card from your Graveyard; place 1 "Paleolite" monster in your Graveyard face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone as a Continuous Trap Card. You can only use 1 "Paleo Excavation" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Paleo Flood

Trap

Tribute 1 Level 5 or higher "Paleolite" monster; Special Summon as many "Paleolite" monsters from your Spell & Trap Zone as possible. You cannot Special Summon monsters the turn you activate this card, except "Paleolite" monsters. You can only activate 1 "Paleo Flood" per turn.

Paleo Roar

Quick-Play Spell

Target 1 face-up monster on the field and 1 "Paleolite" monster with a higher Level than that target in your Graveyard; return the first target to the hand, and place the second target face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone as a Continuous Trap Card. During your turn, if your opponent activates a Spell/Trap card and you control a "Paleolite" monster: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; negate that card (this is a Quick Effect).

Paleo Petrification

Quick-Play Spell

Discard 1 "Paleolite" monster, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; negate its effects, its effects cannot be activated, and it cannot attack, change its battle position, or be destroyed. These changes last until the end of your opponent's next turn. You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 "Paleolite" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Paleo Petrification" effect per turn and only once that turn.

Oh boy Dinos! I love dinosaurs, and to be honest, who doesn't? Though, just by scanning over the cards, it seems like these Paleolite cards share a couple things in common with the Crystal Beasts. Were they supposed to have a connection of sorts?

- - - - -

P Pterosaur- Gonna get this off my chest right off the bat: why are they Continuous Traps? Why not Continuous Spells? Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but I really don't see how them being Traps is in any way more beneficial than them being Spells, but that's just me. Perhaps you'd use them with Magic Planter to get extra draws? If so, then that makes you one clever card maker.

Aside from that, it makes for a nice disrupt card to make the opponent think on their toes. Not quite as devastating as Masked HERO Dank(Dark) Law, but still an annoying card to have if you need to search out that one card you need to finish off a brilliant combo. The great hypocrisy of this card is that when it makes it to the field, it lets you search, which I imagine would be a slap in the face for your opponent. Decent stats all around, considering it can't be Normal Summoned by normal means. 5/5 seems like a fun card to run, even in non-Paleolite decks; makes a good Magic Planter target.

P Ammonite- A more consistent version of Pterosaur, in that it searches much easier (considering almost all decks have to summon at least ONE card to get themselves rolling) and efficiently than the latter. On top of that, it revives cards, so if you did Magic Planter one of these dudes, you could Reborn them with this card. Nice. Still, its lackluster stats make it easy to run over, which is very unfortunate, considering it can't target itself (that, mind you, is probably for the best). 5/5 pretty much the glue of the archetype, it seems.

P Trilobite- *I'm going to say this outside of the review- I actually love trilobites. Either because they're related to rolly-polys, or just because they're awesome, I dunno.* It seems like most of these cards would make better tech cards in most meta decks than they would in their own Deck, which is unfortunate. After all, this is a non-targeting, non-destructing monster removal card that can be used in any deck, and of course, makes a good Magic Planter target. Honestly, after using this thing, I wouldn't even care about its other effect because it's a less costly and more valuable version of Castel, because I can discard it to get rid of a pesky monster, then send it to the Graveyard with Magic Planter and draw two. This card is the first to give me even a little bit of concern, considering these cards could work like the Monarchs work and just speed a deck up by being MP fodder. Other than that, this guy helps you recycle Paleolite cards. Though, he can recycle himself, which I don't think is a good idea. You might want to give it a similar clause to Ammonite's. 4.5/5 if it weren't so techy, and didn't recycle itself, I'd give it a 5.

P Coelacanth- Again, a card I'd rather use as a tech in my own decks (especially if I'm running Pendulums, which prefer monsters over traps any day) than I would with its own archetype. While in its own archetype, Coel is nice (helps to swarm the field), like Trilobite, it's just good fodder for MP in other decks, again, especially in Pendulums, considering draw power in those decks is deadly. It's like a slightly less good Quaking Mirror Force, in that the monsters can just change their positions next turn. 4/5 basically the same reasoning as Trilobite, just that it's less useful than Quaking Mirror Force, imo.

P Meganisoptera- From what I can see, this card seems to be a bit more reliable (archetypally) than the other cards, considering you have to have a second Paleolite in your hand to activate its effect (to my knowledge). Still, it's a nice effect, but unless you're targeting another Continuous Trap (mirror match, anyone?) a face-up Continuous Spell Card, or a Field Spell, this card is practically useless for the archetype, and as tech. Niche, definitely, but not anything groundbreaking. Also, question: where does it place from? The hand? Graveyard? Field? You need to specify these things, otherwise if you wanted to, you could place a "Paleolite" from your Deck, Banished Zone, or even Extra Deck. 3.5/5 niche, and needs grammar work. Not-so-amazing stats.

P Velociraptor- Perfect. A nice change of pace, and a refreshing add to the archetype (it'd be really bland if ALL the cards wanted to be discarded). A second (almost) necessary card for the archetype. It lets you swarm, lets you draw, and it can summon more copies of itself. And from looking at future cards in the archetype, it seems you really want to get this card into the Spell/Trap zone, just so you can replenish your hand. Very, very nice card. 4.5/5 draw power + swarming capabilities in case you don't want to Special Summon (though why you wouldn't want to is beyond me.)

P Ichthyosaur- Eeesh, for one card, this little dolphin sure does a lot. First off, it can revive the card it sent to the Graveyard, allowing you to potentially sacrifice Coel to bring this guy out, then summon Coel, bring out Pterosaur, and search on top of that. An unlikely combination, but given the discarded card's utility, it's definitely possible. And with a decent attack stat like Ichthy's, I doubt getting over monsters will be the issue. Very well designed card that also works as a floater by letting you search, should it die or be tributed. Don't know how I feel about the "leaves the field clause", but considering there are few ways it could leave the field by your own machinations, I suppose it isn't SO bad. 4/5 still a bit iffy on its floating capabilities, plus summon capabilities.

P Anklyosaur- Discarding this guy could make Tyrannosaur's double attack deadly, js. Especially given the Spell/Traps you have, but I'll get to him in a bit. Its field effect is just... eh. Most good effects nowadays don't really have to worry about targeting. Usually they have ways around effects like Anklyosaur without worrying too much about expending materials, or if they do target, they usually plus off having to. Its other effect is costly, but could help you get back your more valuable cards to use in conjunction with your Spells/Traps. 3.5/5 not an attack is a minus, plus with only decent effects, I couldn't imagine running this card unless it was an emergency.

P Plesiosaur- This thing's direct attack is quite nice- chipping off a fourth of health, plus with it being easy to get over, makes it not too overpowered. However, its ability to help you plus off of its cost is worrying, on top of that, it has a good discard effect, so you could just discard this card, clear backrow, then clean your opponent's clock without worry. And since its effect doesn't require your opponent to control a monster to be able to proc its effect, you can use it even if they control no monsters, to potentially help get rid of pesky backrow. Oh, it's sort of like a Trap Hole, except with a specific cost. That's a lot of effects rolled into one, and I don't know how I feel about it. Honestly, I recommend that this thing only get to proc its effect if the opponent controls monsters. 3.5/5 extremely useful, but in a scary way.

P Triceratops- Oh cool, another recycler. Don't think you really needed another one, but I suppose you had to fill the void in this one's ability, didn't you? But with its decent stats, battlefield altering capabilities, and swarming ability, it can help you to completely control the battlefield. Kind of wish this card was the big boss of the deck, and in a way it is, since it's the most cost effective of your stronger cards. Still, a nice, refreshing card that's, honestly, my favourite card in this archetype so far (cause I like Triceratops, hehe). 5/5 no bias with this one. Battlefield controllers are always nice, especially when they have nice attack. Great utility, this one.

P Stegosaur- Another dinosaur staple. Wouldn't be complete without this guy, Tri, Plesio, Ptero, Veloci, and Tyranno, now would it? Interesting. A Spell/Trap searcher. Very, very interesting. Unfortunate that there aren't all that many amazing Dinosaur-type techs (spell/trap/monster or otherwise) that are target-able by this effect, or simply in general. Interesting how you made this thing worth running, with its good attack stats, yet gave it decent defensive capabilities, like Ankylo. It feels like someone did their homework! Also the effect negation is nice, since it's kind of like Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand, but it allows their monsters to still be screwed by your Spell/Trap/Monster effects. Cheeky. Plus, it helps you plus off its cost, and it lets you protect your cards. Overall, a very nice pseudo-boss you've got here. 5/5 not much to say other than well done.

P Tyrannosaur- As usual, someone made the T-Rex the boss. Why not make the Spinosaurus the boss, eh? W/e, you do you. (Perhaps it could be the true final boss?!) Grapha eff is kind of eh tbh, since most cards you can destroy nowadays float, or have destruction advantageous effects anyhow. Its pseud-Jinzo effect is quite interesting, since it's "Paleolite" CARDS, not just monsters. Could actually make this thing worth running. Though, only giving it one turn protection and a double attack is generic and boring (the double attack is generic, and the one turn protection is boring). All in all, a very underwhelming boss that's not actually worth getting out 8/10 of the times (why bother when I have Stego and Tri?). This thing makes better discard fodder, IMO, than a boss. 3/5 it's a fine, balanced card, but it's just... not fun.

- - - - -Spells/Traps- - - - -

P Excavation- Balanced and fair. Nothing to say here except it helps you OTK harder, and tbh that's good in a Deck whose bosses are sometimes not actually worth getting out. The hard OPT is unnecessary, IMO. You could simply say "You can only use one 'Paleo Excavation' per turn.", and let yourself use both of its effects, but if you want to slow yourself down, have fun. 5/5 a staple.

P Flood- Eeesh. A better Excavation, all in all. I can see now why you'd give P Excavation that hard OPT. When its second effect is used in conjunction with this card, it could get nasty. Especially since there are no (real) drawbacks to using this card. Still, not asking you change anything. It's fine as is, and helps you finish off your opponents, plus, I know that Crystal Beasts have their own version of this card (Carbuncle, I think.)

P Roar- A very techy card that could either come in very handy, or be a useless draw. Early game, this card, I imagine, has very little use. Late game, however, and you can use this card + Tyrannosaur to finish off your opponent. Plus, if they Mirror Force, or something of the like, you can use its soft OPT to negate it. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this Spell/Trap version of BTS, but I suggest keeping it as is...? 4.5/5 simply because I'm on the fence about its soft OPT.

P Petrification- Like all of the early Paleolites, this card is too tech for its own good. While they certainly aren't meta, Moonlights (or Lunalights) could certainly OTK using this card, along with Cyber Dragons. One archetype I imagine having a FIELD DAY with this card is Blue-Eyes. They negate a problematic monster's effect, summon Twin-Burst, banish, then hit for 3000. Its discard cost, for almost any deck willing to run even a single Twin Twister is nothing at all for free effect negation, attack negation, and field position change negation for a potential of two full turns. This honestly is the only problematic card I see, what with its ease of tech. 3/5 honestly, I'd change it to "Discard 1 'Paleolite' monster..." to help it not tech as well.

- - - - -

Have a good night, bud! This took me all day (don't worry, it was my own fault; procrastination) and to be honest, I'm glad I did it. You made a really looking archetype dude, and I hope you keep making great ones like this!

Thanks for the detailed review!

Why are they continuous traps? Because I like doing things differently. And so they can be used for Magic Planter.

Yeah, I thought the handtraps might be a little too generic when I was making them. I thought the fact that they couldn't be normal summoned would hinder their splashability, but I forgot about pendulums, so now I'm throwing on a special summon restriction too. And I'm making them only summonable by Paleolith effects.

Meganisoptera (giant dragonfly, btw) stops Pantheism and Prime, the Kozmo field, Pendulums, Domain, etc. So actually fairly significant in this meta, though not as good as some of the other handtraps. Also it was supposed to place from deck.

I dunno why Plesio's backrow destruction is that bad, and why requiring the opponent to control a monster would be significantly better. Plenty of decks have built-in s/t destruction these days.

I don't think Petrification is all that good, since most decks aren't willing to pay the discard cost (Twin Twisters, on the other hand, is that good). However, it is a bit too splashable, so I tweaked it.

Tweaked Coelacanth a little, took out Ichthy's float, changed Tri's discard effect to search one of the big guys from the deck, Petrification has to discard a Paleolith monster, Flood has to tribute a lv5 or higher.

Archived