Idea for New Rules regarding Ritual Monsters

I'm not sure if anyone else has touched on this, but I was just playing my "Yugioh The Sacred Cards" and I was amazed at the number of things that are different in that game from the standard tcg/ocg.

The biggest thing I noticed (aside from a spell card that said it was a trap card XD) was the very special ritual summoning rules the game has. It is COMPLETELY different than the standard we're using. And while the game has many rules that are obviously outdated, I honestly think the ritual summoning feature might actually be a decent option instead of the current rulings.

I'll elaborate, in "Yugioh The Sacred Cards" there are 2 ways to summon ritual monsters:

1: Tribute monsters you control equal to the standard requirements for tribute summoning (1 for lvl 5-6, 2 for lvl 7-8) {There are monsters you can tribute 3 monsters to summon, but I think its a little weird to include them, especially since they include fusion monsters}

2: Activate the appropriate ritual spell card and tribute a specific monster you control to "Call" the ritual monster.

The second summon is the one I am more interested in although I will briefly touch on the first method a little later.

As an example, you can activate "Revived Serpent Night Dragon Ritual" and tribute one "Darkfire Dragon" you control and it summons "Serpent Night Dragon". However, there is no extra deck, and the ritual monster does not even have to be in your possession to summon it! In this game you could summon a ritual monster you didn't even have a copy of!

Now I think allowing ritual monsters to be placed in the extra deck would allow this to be more plausible in the tcg. And I know that especially with Nekroz that could cause some issues. However, changing ritual summoning to require a specific monster instead of a level would work! How do I know this? Just ask Timaeus.

Dark Magician + Eye of Timaeus creating Amulet Dragon is the exact same ruling (sort of) as what TSC(The Sacred Cards) has.

This would make it easier to ritual summon, because you only require 2 cards (1 spell and 1 monster) instead of sometimes requiring 3 or 4 (Ritual spell + Ritual monster, + 1-2 tributes).

I think at the time ritual summoning was introduced this would be way too powerful, but in the current meta this just allows for a different type summoning to be more useful.

I also think that there could be some new ritual monsters that would have different effects that could be activated based on whether they were ritual summoned or tribute summoned (which I do think could still be an option, but I'm willing to have a debate on it). If tribute summoning is allowed then it would have to be discussed on whether they could be tribute summoned from the extra deck or if ritual summoning them summons them from your hand or main deck. My thought is that they could be tribute summoned from the extra deck as a different type of summon which is treated as a normal summon but still allows you to normal summon that turn. For an example, a duelist could normal summon goblindbergh (or however its spelled) and another level 4 monster and have the option to either xyz into 101, synchro (if the other monster is a tuner) into stardust, or whatever this new summon is into a level 7-8 ritual monster. I think this alone would be pretty balanced, but if it is thought of as being too strong the ritual monsters could have effects that only activate when they are "ritual summoned" and thus be weaker if they are summoned using this other 'tributeish' type of summon.

Even with these changes I think they would only strengthen ritual decks and not hurt them in any way.

#If Timaeus can, so can rituals!

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to hear your opinions and/or critiques.

Meh, Rituals are an inherently wasteful mechanic but any attempt to make them more viable either leads to them completely losing their flavour, becoming too much like Fusions or Synchros, or just making broken af cards that get around the inefficiencies ie. Nekroz. With the addition of Pendulums, there are now so many mechanics in the game it's in danger of becoming saturated and over-complicated. For these reasons I say we just forget about the Ritual mechanic and move on.

I have attempted to think about the issue of Rituals, mostly when I'm making custom cards (yes I still do that sometimes) but decided it wouldn't be worth the effort to try and alter them so I just pretend they don't exist.

Hmmm... I dont know man, I think Rituals are actually getting decent right now. Have you ever played this new OCG deck of Cyber Angels? Its SO FUN and you can even combine then with other old supposedly useless ritual monsters like Herald, Saffire, or divine bird. They are strong and could possibly affect the META without it being too broken like nekroz and stuff like that. Although I do have to agree with you on one part, that it would be cool if there was a ritual monster that required a specific monster or card without considering levels. It would actually be very unique and creative and fun. I think it is unecessary with putting rituals in the extra deck because from what I am seeing, Ritual summoning is going in the right direction with this Cyber angel and the Ritual Sanctuary field spell card. Rituals in the extra deck would simply be too OP also, because some of the ritual monsters effects are just too OP to be able to be summoned with only one card.

Meh, Rituals are an inherently wasteful mechanic but any attempt to make them more viable either leads to them completely losing their flavour, becoming too much like Fusions or Synchros, or just making broken af cards that get around the inefficiencies ie. Nekroz. With the addition of Pendulums, there are now so many mechanics in the game it's in danger of becoming saturated and over-complicated. For these reasons I say we just forget about the Ritual mechanic and move on.

I have attempted to think about the issue of Rituals, mostly when I'm making custom cards (yes I still do that sometimes) but decided it wouldn't be worth the effort to try and alter them so I just pretend they don't exist.

I've been saying most of this for literal years now,

Pendulum has the theoretical ability to make Rituals shine, if they would just mix them, because it makes them NOT dead in the funking hand. If you can play them as a (weakish) spell, it solves the issues without being Nekroz.

Being digital games, The Sacred Cards and Reshef of Destruction could get away with creating copies of cards out of nowhere or spawning cards you don't actually own.

The suggested form of Rituals from the Extra Deck just feels like a different name to Fusion, really.

Archived