Geonimals [Version 2.0] - Completed 24 card set

LegoLord91

GEONIMALS 2.0

2 years ago I felt confident enough to unleash my very first archetype upon the YCM univserse: The Geonimals. I hoped that my self-drawn artwork and math-related puns would be enough to earn them a seal of approval, but with the help of many reviewers, it just wasn't creative enough. So, I scratched the whole project and went back to the drawing board. I struggled for a time on how to revamp the archetype, but the advent of pendulums gave me my answer. 

Each monster card represents an animal and a geometric shape (hence the name), with the level AND scale of each monster represented by the sides of its respective shape. Which requires some critical thinking on the pendulum aspect. The animal side represents their monster form, while the shape side represents their Pendulum form. In order to mitigate the frustration of unplayable Pendulum Scales, most main deck monsters have effects that allow them to "tag-out" from the Pendulum Zones with another face-up Geonimal monster in your Extra Deck, while the Extra Deck boss monsters replaced your scales with Geonimal monsters from your Deck.

Take a look! I am very excited about it and I look forward to your feedback!

(p.s. I did all of the artwork in Microsoft paint)

Due to the size of the card images, I did not include card texts/effects below the images. I personally felt that everything was easy to read. If anyone disagrees and would prefer that I do include card text, please let me know.

[spoiler=Monsters]

[spoiler='Cirgull]

qKXajOp.jpg

PUN: Circle + Seagull 

[spoiler=Trieagle]

3iucu4k.jpg
PUN: Triangle + Eagle

[spoiler=Diamonkey]

5s4hF12.jpg
PUN: Diamond + Monkey

[spoiler=Rectalligator]

w3zZGqL.jpg
PUN: Rectangle + Alligator

[spoiler=Rhombino]

ez3a9BS.jpg
PUN: Rhombus + Rhino

[spoiler=Squarrel]

3CN8QgC.jpg
PUN: Square + Squirrel

[spoiler=Trapezoise]

RyUw331.jpg
PUN: Trapezoid + Tortoise

[spoiler=Pentaguin]

ZlUMwbo.jpg
PUN: Pentagon + Penguin

[spoiler=Hexalion]

EKWiXm1.jpg
PUN: Hexagon + Lion

[spoiler=Heptapotamus]

lr66Swn.jpg
PUN: Heptagon + Hippopotamus

[spoiler=Spells]

[spoiler=Highsosceles Mountain]

cM9jplb.jpg
PUN: High + Isosceles Triangle

[spoiler=Areana]

EMQvjs1.jpg
PUN: Area + Arena

[spoiler=Geometree]

AwL1FT8.jpg

PUN: Geometry + Tree

[spoiler=Sheepshifter]

nn0IJED.jpg

PUN: Sheep + Shapeshifter

[spoiler=Vertex Vortex]

bPm5wx1.jpg

PUN: Vertex + Vortex

[spoiler=Secret Formula]

rDUYSVG.jpg

PUN: Formula

[spoiler=Shaportal]

UdDkUWp.jpg
PUN: Shape + Portal

[spoiler=Traps]

[spoiler=Geometrick]

v3ivoMR.jpg
PUN: Geometric + Trick 

[spoiler=Triangle Pitfall]

hNCetrg.jpg

PUN: Triangle + Spikes

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

[spoiler=Octapus]

znQO9JI.jpg
PUN: Octagon + Octopus

[spoiler=Nonagorilla]

6uVZ2Xv.jpg
PUN: Nonagon + Gorilla

[spoiler=Decaphant]

LFHFD2D.jpg
PUN: Decagon + Elephant

[spoiler=Undecahorn]

evwcS36.jpg
PUN: Undecagon + Unicorn

[spoiler=Dodecadragon]

KJrQdIB.jpg
PUN: Dodecagon + Dragon

MS Paint. What a meme.

Card text would actually make it easier to read, rather than having to zoom out by 9001%. The cards genuinely fill up the entire length of my screen, making reviews a challenge.

[spoiler=So big I have to spoiler it]

Cirgul clearly gets you advantage with its Pendulum Effect, although I’m not sure how much. If your tag out is as potent as you say, then it’s a neutral play—maybe even a +1. The monster effect is weird, because it searches for cost, which is a bit powerful, especially as a first impression. The clause helps, but you can still make just about whatever Geonimal Synchro or Xyz you want. This card also gets support from One for One, making it not very difficult to get out. I would recommend changing the cost for its monster effect, or just giving it no cost at all but making the current cost part of the actual effect.

Eagle, in conjunction with Cirgul, seems to be a free scale. It does take some setup, but his potency to tag out can mean you’ve got a 1-7 scale. Fortunately, like I mentioned, that takes setup. Its monster effect also helps you clear your Pendulum Scales and get a monster out, and it makes up for it well with its return to the Deck. This makes it useable repeatedly but not to a point where you get free resources. He also locks you into summoning just Geonimal monsters, so you avoid making broken plays through other cards.

The shading on these is really good, by the way.

Diamonkey’s cookie cutter doesn’t warrant much to say about his Pendulum Effect. Its Stratos effect is certainly quite potent in a Pendulum Deck that doesn’t lose advantage without their Normal Summon. You can potentially complete your scales really quickly, since Cirgul, one of your key combo starters, is searchable both by this and One for One, amongst some others, most likely. Its 4 scale seems kind of useless, though, since it’s stuck in the middle, letting you get out just Eagle on the low side and Penguin, Lion, and Hippo on the other. I’m not sure how imperative these are, or if he’d even be in the scale often; however, the deck seems to “tag out”, as you mentioned at least once, so you’d likely end up with it in your scales at least once.

I had a feeling the Pendulum Effects would be similar since Monkey. For the monster effect, it needs to have the target in the cost. I don’t like that it’s only on normal summon, too. Upon Normal or Special Summon would be fine, since it’s targeting destruction, which the meta has evolved to generate so many ways around. It’s not particularly Special; I’d only play one or two. It doesn’t get you any advantage other than the removal, which is sometimes drastically outshined by, say, Ignister, who is easily made by the looks of this deck. 

Rhombino is very similar to Alligator, so much that I wonder if they could be combined. Twin Twisters and Archfiend Eccentrick achieve this, but don’t make you minus (mostly). This one has a cost that can be heavy in a deck that hasn’t showed me too much Extra Deck filling outside of Cirgul. Also, you have 4 other 4 scales to use, so there’s not much space for this when there are better back row removal cards to be used. Although, if you could combine this with gator, with some search power, then it would probably be used much more often.

Squirrel seems to play off of the slowly-generating advantage presented in this deck. I see a lot of things with a cost, but only one way to pay for it. With Cirgul carrying the Deck on its shoulders, this really isn’t too helpful, also because of its mediocre scale and its mocking of the actual mechanic you’re trying to pull off: Pendulum Summoning. Instead of emulating PS through monsters, you should aim to achieve it by filling up your Extra Deck. There’s not enough advantage I see that would allow you to use this card to its full potential.
But it is one of 3 tuners, which makes it helpful in making stuff like Octapus. 

Trapezoise definitely +1s for you, although its effect is written really strangely. Putting “When this card is normal summoned” should be fine. The same level but different names also greatly holds you back, since it means you’ll be adding 2 of your 4-scales, which are pretty mediocre all around. I’d suggest just searching for any 2 Geomals with different names; maybe they could go in the Extra Deck, where you really need them to be? This way, you could generate the advantage the deck really needs in order to function. It’s hard to tag out with an empty extra deck, so making this your main Resource Grabber would help a lot.

I suppose Penguin is alright, but it might just make you lose advantage, since you actually WANT your Geomals in the extra deck. If you can’t tag out, like I mentioned earlier, it becomes difficult to play. If you added Graveyard access to any Geomal card with it, then it would work in conjunction with Twin Twisters or some of the S/Ts. That would make up for it being a level 5 with 2000s in both stats.

Hexalion helps against Towers Bosses, but I think you could go further with it. If you said “Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step” and/or “Negate its effects in the Graveyard” it would be much more dangerous, rather than just being a big beater. The 6-scale lets it PS a good deal of your other Geomals, such as the mass amount of level 4s. 

It’s defense position.
This one is a little disappointing. It’s an inherent summon, but a neutral one. Its only apparent advantage is its Scale, which renders its Monster Effect kind of unimportant anyway, and its stats, which are kind of rivaled by Lion. I wouldn’t even want to tag out with it, so if you made this one more advantage based, it would be much more helpful. 

Ah, here’s the advantage I was talking about. An easily searchable card with Terraforming that generates easy resources every turn. Its ability to progressively plus grants the deck plenty more speed than the Monsters offer. However, I hope you’re not relying on a field spell card for all your resources. Relying on one card can make you suffer a lot when you don’t have it, making the game a bit less fun. Also, the third effect might be a little useless except in desperate situations, since it’s kind of a -2. I’d honestly only ever use the first one. An attack buff might be nice, too.

Fire Formation - Geonimal?
The search’s clause isn’t particularly debilitating, since you can search for either of your combo pieces and have the other in your Extra Deck to be tagged in. The 100x buff also helps out if you PS while low on resources, and need to make a push. I wouldn’t particularly want to run into too many of this card at once, though, since it isn’t immediate advantage. The help would be much better once I have combo pieces set up, near the end of early game. You might be able to use it in conjunction with Kaiju Slumber to continue your plays while your opponent has a 0 ATK on board and you’ve got Jizukiru and can still PS, as long as you set up your scales after you slumber.

Forgettable, not very helpful. Accomplishes what you can do with Pendulums themselves but slower. It also doesn’t even let them go back into the Extra Deck. If it didn’t have to be face-up, I would consider it, since there’s always the tag-out to get more fruit counters. All in all, though, it might just clog up your hand and be a mediocre card with little advantage generation by itself, especially without wavering eyes to get the Extra Deck filled especially fast.

Again, this one seems kind of useless too. If you don’t have any Geonimals in your face-up Extra, then you’ll have difficulty even getting out the token, which just kind of exists, and can maybe be used as a synchro material monster. While that could be useful, I would hate to see this in my hand and think “crap, I can’t do anything with this” because I have a bunch of other cards in my hand that rely on resources. Since your resources all come from the mountain, Cirgul, and Arena.

Vertex Vortex helps a lot. It frees up your scales, lets you pull off a guitartle-lizardraw esque draw, and lets you fill up that ever-present Extra Deck. If it were a quick-play, you could use it in response to, say, Twin Twisters to stop the opponent from ruining your plan. I’m not sure how powerful that would be, but I would guess quite, since if your Deck is prioritized well enough, those 2 cards might be enough to reel in enough resources to choke a cow. 
Nice art, btw

Secret Formula would be much better if it were a quick effect. Without it, it’s a waste of a card, aside from the ATK gain, since it just does what you can do without it. If you really want it in your Pendulum Zone, then just put in in your Pendulum Zone. Not to mention, since the ATK gain is its only merit, you may as well just use Axe of Despair, which is consistently equivalent to 10 Geonimal cards, and easier to search. With a quick effect, you can at least dodge your opponent’s card effects, but then you’re going minus since you’d lose field advantage.

Shaportal helps, except it’s still reliant on the Scales. The destruction at the end of the turn isn’t much of a downside, since it’ll just go into your Extra Deck, but the fact that it has to be in between the scales means it’s a 3-card combo, whereas Emergency Teleport is just a neutral free summon. Perhaps you’d end up getting easy scales, but if you don’t then it might be a challenge to really use this consistently, especially considering how helpful a free summon from the Deck is. 

Geometrick really isn’t too helpful. Since it only has one use and stops something you can recover from anyway (and might even want to happen, given Arena), I wouldn’t use it. This is one of those cards, like many above, that come in the Starter Deck just so that you have 40 cards. It also makes you lose advantage by putting back your resources.

Pitfall suffers from the same thing. It’s situational, since you might not end up going up against something with the same levels you have, even less that you have access to, and you might need those cards for later. As a Normal Trap, it has a lowish spell speed, making it not really worth it, and it doesn’t really negate anything, so the opponent can still continue their plays. I’d recommend you amp it up so that it actually counters cards rather than just destroying. Fortunately, it doesn’t target, so that’s nice, but outside of that, Very slow.

Ah, yes, the 8-scale that lets you summon that elusive hippo. This one also deserves a quick effect; fiendish chain wouldn’t be nearly the same card if it were a normal spell. Also, since you can tag out with it, potentially Pendulum Summon it back, and repeatedly negate, PS, and resurrect, it can become a little daunting. It’s also not too hard to get out with your 3 tuners. You can make it with Cirgul + Hippo, Eagle + Lion, and Squirrel + namely Monkey, so you’re (hopefully) not pulling bad cards from your butt to bring this out.

This one is explicitly harder to make, since you can’t use your level 3 tuner to the same effect (if at all, unless you’re playing Sproids). As such, its effect is extraordinary; it can put up to 5400 units of hurt on your opponent, which is quite a lot from one monster, leaving your opponent with a mere 2600 life points, barely enough for them to even Instant Fusion. This, of course, is just from one monster, so others can attack too. I recommend you tone it down a little, perhaps making it only able to second attack monsters. Other than that, it’s similar to Octopus in its usage; summon it, Scale it, bring it back out. Maybe this is what you use the resurrection from the Extra Deck for.

Decaphant is probably the Kozmo answer I was looking for. Its massive ATK means it can potentially out the big Kozmo ships, or wall them with its DEF until they get out a Dark Planet. It also prevents the pilots from tagging out if they don’t see it coming. I also think it’s safe to assume that all of the Synchros are the same except for their monster effects. I might add some potency to their monster effects, since one effect doesn’t always cut it (see Dinomist). 

Special Summon from the Pendulum Zone doesn’t seem useful at first glance, but if you have another Synchro in your Extra Deck, it can probably OTK with Gorilla (3300 + 2700 = 6000, then if he gets his second attack). Not to mention that both of its stats are ginormous, and while that is very flavorful (and I observed that they’re all the • 3) it might be a little much. If you wanted to OTK with this, I’d aim to make a Synchro without Pendulum Summoning, using Kaiju Slumber while you have Arena active, and making this to bring back your Synchro, which would be at LEAST 2400 + 3300 + 2200 (7900 lol). While Slumber isn’t searchable, it’s at 3, and Dark Hole is at 2, Raigeki at 1, making for 6 nukes, potentially more if you run torrential tribute or needle ceiling.

This thing looks like Jake Long and that triggers me
Wow what a boss. A 12-scale means you can bring out all of your other monsters in conjunction with Cirgul; alternatively, it’s a giant towers-killer who’s invulnerable to targeting. It doesn’t “Float” per se, but it can easily come back several times if you PS your Unicorn. With its massive stats, invulnerability, removal, potential ability to return, and giant Pendulum Scale, I’m a little uncomfortable with this one. Bear in mind that Pendulum Summons can bring out 4-5 monsters at once, and while they’re usually not powerful by themselves, they come in swathes. This deck, however, seems to conjure many big monsters. 

So, while the deck might have a little trouble getting resources out quickly, if optimized, it can become a deadly turbo synchro deck, able to gain advantage with its tag outs, hopefully in time to slay the opponent.

I spent an hour writing this, by the way. You should make fewer cards to a set, especially considering some of these were very similar, had tiny effects, and were just generally pack fillers. It makes people not want to review. I need, like, a paragraph each on these to get full points.

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a detailed reply. Thank you so much!

First of all, I sincerely apologize for the SIZE of the cards. I made them with TCGEditor and uploaded them in Imgur myself. Then pasted the link from there. Regardless of what I did, they always rendered that size. If I knew how to make them smaller, I would.

Next, I do recognize that the set is large, and for that, I am also sorry. Once I started making these, the math puns just started rolling and I couldn't help myself. I will definitely pay better attention to that in the future. 

As far as the cards themselves, you do bring up many, many good points. Things that I hardly even considered. I do want to say that I wanted Cirgul to be a main point of the Deck, just because depending on who you ask, circles could either have zero sides, or an infinite number of sides. That's why I wanted the level/scale manipulation effect. But, I see what you mean how I accidentally worded the search as a cost. I'll change that. Also, I appreciate you pointing out the fact that I don't have enough ways to load up my extra deck. I agree that Trapezoise would be a prime candidate for that. I will make small tweaks to many of the main deck cards, as you suggested. 

I do want to point out the interaction beween Cirgul and Sheepshifter however. You could use Cirgul to send a level 4, 5, or 6, then use Sheepshifter to make Octapus, Decaphant, or Dodecadragon. But I didn't realize how dead of a card it would be outside of that interaction. I'm one the fence regarding this one. 

And I do agree with the mediocrity of some other spells/traps. I'll go back to the drawing board with those, or scratch them all together.

As far as the Extra Deck goes, I was originally going to do a quick effect with Octapus, but I figured that was too powerful. Since you seem to think otherwise, I will go ahead and switch that. And I believe I INTENDED for Nonarilla to only be able to attack a monster the second time, as you can see, I missed the mark. I will be fixing that. And I will definitely nerf Dodecadragon's effects. I somehow totally overlooked that Unicorn can revive him. 

Once again, I REALLY appreciate the review, especially the time you put into writing it. Thanks! It means a lot to me. 

As far as the cards themselves, you do bring up many, many good points. Things that I hardly even considered. I do want to say that I wanted Cirgul to be a main point of the Deck, just because depending on who you ask, circles could either have zero sides, or an infinite number of sides. 

circles have an infinite number of sides, and anyone who says otherwise is probably wrong.

There might be a way to optimize it without changing it too much. Your main output is through Cirgul and Tortoise, as well as your Field spell, so as long as you can search them--as they're supported by a few cards, namely Swallow's Nest, one for one, and Terraforming--you'll be able to start reeling them in.

Also, if you really need to bring back Dragon quickly or something, use Pendulum Reborn. I observed that many of their effects are similar to that card, so using the card itself might not be a bad idea.

Ha! Well, circles with "infinite" sides were used to find the existence of Pi, but at the same time, circles aren't even considered polygons, so I see both sides of the argument. 

I like the idea of Pendulum Reborn. Completely forget that card was a thing until you mentioned it. 

Hopefully I will have the edits up by this weekend. Thanks again! 

Archived