Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

ok so i asked this in the questions section an was told it should have been asked here. also got a answer but it was not concrete, so gonna ask here for that reason as well. So here is the question.

I have a question on wording for a custom card, if i have a level 4 monster with "You can take damage equal to this monsters DEF: This card gains 500 ATK until the End Phase." and a Field Spell with "Damage you take from face-up level 4 or lower monsters you control becomes 0" does it work, or do i have to word it differently?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Redvahan said:

ok so i asked this in the questions section an was told it should have been asked here. also got a answer but it was not concrete, so gonna ask here for that reason as well. So here is the question.

I have a question on wording for a custom card, if i have a level 4 monster with "You can take damage equal to this monsters DEF: This card gains 500 ATK until the End Phase." and a Field Spell with "Damage you take from face-up level 4 or lower monsters you control becomes 0" does it work, or do i have to word it differently?

There's a few things that are going into that effect that makes it weird. For the short answer, if the burn is cost, then no you will not be able to gain the effect because you cannot pay that cost.

...that being said, there are a couple more intricacies here. The biggest is that I don't think burn damage has ever been used as cost. The simplest way to make the interaction work like how you want is by making the burn damage an effect rather than a cost.

Ex.

"This card gains 500 ATK until the End Phase, then, take damage equal to this card's DEF."

Archived