[Finished]CC Monthly Series [June 2016] | Currently judging

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very well then. 

I don't think Konami will leak anything else within the next couple hours, but if they did, likely not going to affect the existing entries so far, but just have to see.

On that note, I need to update the OP again, although I make acknowledgment posts when you either edit/submit something. 

I know I missed the last one, I was drowning in exams unfortunately. And I barely made it to this one, but here I am.

Image may or may not come later.

[spoiler=My Submission]

Performapal Ringmaster
Lv.8 [2800/800] DARK
Spellcaster/Effect
If a "Performapal" monster is Normal Summoned; you can Normal Summon this card (this is a quick effect). You can discard this card from your hand and destroy 1 card on the field; this turn, "Performapal" and "Performage" monsters you control cannot be destroyed or targeted by card effects. If you have 2 "Performapal" cards in your Pendulum Zones: You can banish this card and 1 other card in your Graveyard; add 1 "Performapal" or "Performage" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Performapal Ringmaster" once per turn.
[spoiler=Notes]Don't like how Performapal don't have very big monsters. So I came up with this in attempt give them a bigger monster, that's an actual performapal and not Odd-eyes, and helps them get over cards like Vanity's Emptiness and Solemn Cards(mostly strike) I was going to put odd-eyes in the name but decided against it to make it not so versatile. Already easy to summon in pals, the OTK potential is definitely there, and the support is sublime. OCG is off for sure cause I wasn't sure how to word it.

Last one was in April; I didn't host one in May because of finals season (and pretty sure a lot of us had the same thing). But don't worry about missing the last month; again, you're not required to play in all of them consecutively.

But you're in though (if you don't get an image in, that's fine; I did say Written was acceptable).

Crystal Beast Tamer
Level 9
LIGHT
Spellcaster/Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand or Graveyard) by discarding any number of "Crystal Beast" or "Rainbow Dragon" cards, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. You can only Special Summon "Crystal Beast Tamer" once per turn. You can only control 1 "Crystal Beast Tamer". This card gains 700 ATK and DEF for each "Crystal" and "Rainbow" card eith a different name in your Graveyard. Other "Crystal" cards you control cannot be targeted by card effects. Once per turn, you can send 1 "Crystal Beast" monster from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard to activate 1 of these effects:
¤ Add 1 "Crystal" card from your Deck to your hand.
¤ Special Summon 1 "Crystal Beast" monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard.
If this card leaves the field: Special Summon 1 "Rainbow Dragon" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard, ignoring the Summoning conditions.
0/0

I'll try to get this done as quickly as possible, but I have commitments on Sundays (and yeah, need to do stuff tomorrow) and some other things I need to deal with otherwise for the week (i.e. job applications, course-related matters for university). That, and I'd like to make sure I grade these thoroughly.

Hopefully should have things graded by Tuesday/Wednesday at latest, with everything considered.

-----

Right now, I have 8 of your entries already graded; working on the 9th one at the time of this post.

At the time of grading, I have read none of your design notes.

[spoiler=Trebuchet MS - Igknight Commander]

Balance/Utility: Just… no. I expect a good bit from you, so this one makes me sad.

It’s designed in a way that it is explicitly intended to abuse the new spell, which just makes me ask “Why?”

Additionally, it has 2 really good effects just because. It’s like you’re trying really hard to sell a card that has no trouble being sold, at least not to competent players.

And it bounces a card to banish anything. That’s… ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. The other two have limitations, and the inability to NS it is not enough, on its own.

And then it has a “make Rank of choice” effect because… reasons?

At least you tacked on the inability to NS, I guess.

10/60

Creativity/Flavor: It fits the flavor fine, I guess. It’s not really creative, though. Just a tie-together card, and it’s yet another card pushing the impact (Xyz) instead of the lore (relation to Synchros), which greatly upsets me.

5/25

OCG: It’s fine, really. I can understand it, and I’m not going to take points off for wording that isn’t obviously wrong, which I spot none of here.

15/15

TOTAL: 30/100

[spoiler=Hajime Hinata - Joan the Wad]

Balance/Utility: Generic Scale 8 is dangerous design. Especially on a 2700 ATK Level 7. This is stronger than the last card I slammed for such, and it really upsets me to see people do this sort of thing.

This card is completely unrestricted, has a mess of good effects, and the only really well designed effect is the pop itself to add a monster back.

It tries too hard to do everything and do it well, but has no coherency or limiting factors, and it falls completely flat.

5/60

Creativity/Flavor: Flavor works nicely, at least for the Pendulum effect. Type and attribute, as well. Monster effects seem far too offensive, though, like it just wants to kill kill kill. That… doesn’t really fit.

You could argue that it’s “protecting” by clearing the way, but that’s a stretch. It’s just offense for offense’ sake.

I also would not call this creative… Like, at all. It’s very, very flavorful, but it’s a mass of generic-y effects that already exist, and it doesn’t try to be anything but a do-everything card.

10/25

OCG: Wording is nonsensical at times, poorly worded, and can easily be misinterpreted if one does not know what to look for. Unintelligible at points.

15/15

TOTAL: 20/100

[spoiler=Tori-kun - Cyber Angel - Ardha]

Balance/Utility: This is the third “abuse pls” card in a row.

It’s a top heavy card that does too much when it hits the board. There’s not much else to say, it just does its damndest to make sure you don’t run out of rituals while completely overpowering the opponent, with a 4-5K beater that nukes them.

The HFD isn’t as important, but the Raigeki is absurd, considering this is searchable as hell.

It just does too much in exchange for being slightly inconsistent, which makes it all or nothing design that begs for abuse. Almost like Towers bosses, though easier to kill, in exchange for raw offense.

And it has the potential to win outright ,especially with the fact that it DOES have a layer of protection.

13/60

Creativity/Flavor: Ardha has nothing to do with anything. Being an asana does not cut it.

It’s not really creative, either. It mimics a Gishki ritual and it has power spells tacked on in exchange for recycling. I guess I like the new mind augus effect, but still, eh?

5/25

OCG: Seems fine to me. This isn’t really a category that requires much depth, usually...

15/15

TOTAL: 33/100

[spoiler=Detective Duck - Boh’m the Relentless]

Balance/Utility:

m9jgZ4Q.gif

No. This is the 4th card like this in a funking row, and it’s funking ridiculous.

You don’t just tack effects on in order to make a card playable. You don’t make long winded effects that shut out everything because you can. Especially on a Machina Fortress clone that happens to have a better level.

A clone that has a level requirement of /8/, meaning it can special summon itself for no cost. Instead of just bumping it up to 9, you didn’t even take the time to think that through.

Oh, and you can discard Block Dragon for its cost. Meaning you pay nothing. Yay.

And you have the audacity to make it float as well because why not.

0/60

Creativity/Flavor: What flavor is there? I can’t find anything for “Boh’m” or similar spellings, and it’s certainly not relentless. It’s defensive, if anything. So flavor seems like a general wash.

Recurring is not being “relentless”.

It’s also incredibly inelegant and uninspired, being a clone of Machina Fortress that aims to punish the opponent endlessly. Yes, the original did similar, but the original wasn’t designed in such an inelegant “funk you” way.

0/25

OCG: I can read it.

15/15

TOTAL: 15/100

[spoiler=Major’s Shadow - Ignoble Knight of Fallen Laundsallyn]

Balance/Utility: So it’s a card you get out with Medraut, or it’s dead in the hand? Round Table, too, I guess.

Doesn’t really seem like a smart design choice, though the power ceiling is high. Just screams “run 1 of me and move on with life!”... And while it does work with Artorigus -> Artorigus via Excaliburn, but otherwise, it’s just an obvious “here have more niche usability, even if it doesn’t make much flavor sense”.

And the reborn is fine, I guess? It’s costly, but not too much so.

However, I will say that this is not a boss, by any means. This is a supporter, the design is clear.

20/60

Creativity/Flavor: Avalon and other such cards make it out that Synchro!Laundsallyn and Xyz!Artorigus had their battle to the death. Adding on to this does not make sense. It’s not even an upgrade or a boss… I guess I can ease up since it’s a retrain, as it could be pre-Synchro.

Then there’s the matter of the design being inelegant. Merlin has the quick summon effect tacked on to him, but he’s guiding them along their paths, so that makes sense.

This, however, does it because… no reason? This ties in to flavor as well. And there’s also the matter of it having a random revival

Should have stuck to OG Laund.

10/25

OCG: Not perfect, seems a little unnecessarily separated and wordy.

10/15

TOTAL: 40/100

[spoiler=Yuuko Kazami - Tracer, the Repeater]

Balance/Utility: I mean… It’s already off balance.

The game only JUST got a Level 7 Cyber Dragon clone… and this is a better version of that in every way, considering it had a throwaway second effect.

This then proceeds to be a Stardust Spark Dragon AND a weird Panther Dancer mix. So, on top of being a Thrasher for 7, which is relevant, it’s also got effects that give it a chance to shine in certain situations, moreso the protection effect.

Does too much, too easily, and accelerates design space too fast.

10/60

Creativity/Flavor: I outsourced a bit for this, by asking a friend who does play Overwatch for help.

They say this doesn’t make much flavor sense. That, it should have had an effect that bounced herself/PSY-Framelord Omega’d, not the protection and unexplained double damage. They mentioned the pulse bomb, but said it didn’t match up.

I apologize if this is not accurate, but I can’t gather everything for something like this.

Design is also a bit forced, inelegant. Sure, the double attack is a little neat, but it’s not super creative.

7/25

OCG: Seems fine, zzz.

15/15

TOTAL: 32/100

[spoiler=Spell Counter King - The Arch Monarch]

Balance/Utility: It does nothing. Abso-funking-lutely nothing. It is unplayable.

You get a mediocre beater in exchange for… 3 TRIBUTE SUMMONED monsters? Like, if it was just 3 monsters, it would be strictly playable, but…

This takes a MINIMUM of 2 turns to do. And you get no payoff.

There’s just as much issue in underdesigning as overdesigning.

0/60

Creativity/Flavor: Stats aren’t on the 8/10, 24/10, 28/10, or their opposites. Despite being a Monarch.

It is not support, logical or otherwise, in any way.

It lacks any creativity or elegance in design, and reeks of minimal effort.

0/25

OCG: “Ficent”? I’m guessing you didn’t proofread. Also seems a bit off to me, namely the draw effect.

5/15

TOTAL: 5/100

[spoiler=Royal Paladin - Moth Queen]

Balance/Utility: Oh… A card that is neither too much or The Arch Monarch. Thank you, genuinely.

It… I feel like you stuck a little too close to the original thing. Requiring the equip just hurts the playability for no reason, and I wish you had just made it a little more restricted in some other way.

I dislike that it only adds back 3 or lower, considering it’s a -1 to summon, anyway. Just seems like an overkill Inzektor boss, as-is.

Battle effect seems fine for the effort.

I just wish you had disregarded flavor enough to not need the equip, because I do appreciate the attempt. It’s just not quite there. It’s too weak.

25/60

Creativity/Flavor: I like that it supports Great Moth/etc. as a pseudo-evolution, but I dislike that it only does so with the first effect. The tribute effect seems entirely unrelated, which just confuses me a bit. Playability, sure, maybe Insect Queen, but… yeah.

It is somewhat innovative, and it’s definitely inspired. So I can give points there.

20/25

OCG: Honestly, seems fine.

15/15

TOTAL: 60/100

[spoiler=JuanoGS11 - Destiny Hero - Void Master]

Balance/Utility: It’s powerful in its own right being hard cast, though dependent on being used as an engine/in D-HERO, making it less powerful. Even so, it still has way too much reach, considering it stops cards EVERYWHERE.

But then you had to tack that last effect on.

I’m not sure how cheating Plasma on to the board or being extra copies of Malicious is really fair, in the least. Just seemed like a lazy tie together to make Destiny Draw better.

Once per turn/no board doesn’t entirely excuse this, by any means.

And the engine usage means you can also hardcast it, depending on hands, which makes me go “Why?”. I get that you want your engine cards to not be dead in hand, but giving it a good monster effect and ABSURD grave effect is not the way to go.

0/60

Creativity/Flavor:I guess it’s fine for flavor. Nothing out of the norm.

Inelegant design is only highlighted by the OPD restriction. If your card needs a clause like that, you probably need to rethink the design, not carry on.

10/25

OCG: Seems fine i guess.

15/15

TOTAL: 25/100

[spoiler=Dova - Bujin Noritaka]

Balance/Utility: Firstly, I want to say that not every scale needs a partner. Having a scale that is a stand alone, like Hiruko, is fine, especially since Hiruko is an actually good “Rank-X-Magic”.

Then there’s Bujinunity, which now just sets you up 100%. And this removes the drawback for.

And Bujincarnation.

And you designed it in a way to… always do something. You can’t PS it, so may as well cheat it on to the board as a reward for playing the game at all.

Not to mention that it Odd-Eyes style sets you up without having to destroy it, because reasons.

And then it renews your resources on the board, OR if you discard it… So that it’s never dead.

And it has a protection effect on top of it, ffs.

It does too much. You shoved a bunch of helpful effects on to the card while also tacking on the restriction for no SS, but that just makes the deck seem more “lockdown or bust” than it already is.

It’s like you mixed Neptabyss with Odd-Eyes and more to make a monster.

Now, I want to give this negative 100 points. I can’t, but this is, thus far, the worst designed card in the contest.

0/60

Creativity/Flavor: What is Noritaka? Hiruko is derived from Ebisu, Hirume from another name for Amaterasu, Yamato from a prince, (Take-)Mikazuchi, and Arasuda from Utaarasuda. So what is Noritaka, and why?

Effect constantly recycles everything or enables you, and that’s about it.

Feels like an uninspired jumble.

0/25

OCG: Meh.

15/15

[spoiler=Darjkle - Blackwing King]

Balance/Utility: Why in the hell does it summon the Blackwings for a cost. Negating the effect simply means the revived monsters don’t have their effects negated.

I don’t think this effect is even functional, as-is.

Even with better wording, this card is still ridiculous. You just give up your current resources to win the game.

Lazy design, seems ill thought out, and there is no practical reason for it to be a Warrior other than art tie-in.

0/60

Creativity/Flavor: Name doesn’t fit the scheme at all, no reason for it to be a warrior, especially given the lack of relation to Hawk Joe, and just overall no.

Effect is completely uncreative and type addition effects are very rarely elegantly done.

0/25

OCG: The SS effect is wonky as funk. Rest seems fine.

10/15

TOTAL: 10/100

[spoiler=Brimtosis - Matau, Aspect of Water]

Balance/Utility: Hm… This card is weak. However, the design is, overall, well done.

The summoning is too slow for it to be the only way to summon. That’s a big flaw with needing 2 monsters destroyed in a BP, only to summon after. It should have been able to AT LEAST be SSd other ways, if not also be NS/Set.

The Type/Attribute are also a good combo, given the Atlanteans exist.

If it was any other attribute, I would say the discard was unneeded, but… Here, good design choice, given the synergies it allows it.

Very good job.

45/60

Creativity/Flavor: Feels like a callback to Daedalus, which makes me happy. Feels well done. Matau also fits well, though I’m not quite sure where Warfare comes in, though, other than effect design. However, I don’t find it to be something worthy of penalty. Fits so well with the effect,though.

Also seems very innovative. I wish you had given a little more in balance design, but you did a good job with elegance and innovation, while sticking to things it synergizes with.

25/25

OCG: I see no problems here.

15/15

TOTAL: 80/100

[spoiler=Nai - Watcher of Crossroads, Triglav Hecatia]

Balance/Utility: Banish effect seems abusable/not future proofed at all. Not broken as is, but just doesn’t age well, and it seems tacked on.

Summoning effects feel like they bounce between too restrictive, especially to synchros, and

Then it becomes a mini-Trishula immune to Spells, mini-Graceful Charity immune to traps, and quickplay answering immune to Monsters… Fusion is by far the best, with Synchro/Xyz being near even.

This is another topheavy design that does WAAAAAAAAAAY too much, but probably ends up doing nothing due to its gimmicks. Even if it does do something, though, it just seesm wrong.

I gives this a ?/60.

And you know, in YGO, ? translates to 0. Okay, fine, it deserves something.

You tried to balance it, and it’s clear, but it… it’s just hard to cover, because of how wordy and inelegant it is.

25/60

Creativity/Flavor: I guess the flavor fits the character, though it’s another character I hardly know.

Too. Damn. Wordy. This is so inelegant and out of control, and it really just makes me bored and have to reread it 10 times over.

12/25

OCG: Wording is unclear (”This card” instead of this card in the pendulum zone, pendulum zone effect to SS should be a pendulum effect). Rest seems fine.

8/15

TOTAL: 45/100

Aster and Enguin's reviews keep breaking, so will add in another post later.

[spoiler=asterr259 - Performapal Ringmaster]
Balance/Utility: Extra NS makes no sense, considering it doesn’t NS without a tribute.

The discard destroys ANY card on the field, and then protects your board because… Reasons? And I don’t understand why a protection effect is your turn only, given how niche that is. And it destroys a card on the field as a cost, which doesn’t work. And this is currently generic, because it doesn’t say monsters you CURRENTLY control.

The banish effect seems super overkill in addition to all that. And this deck is entirely capable of summoning Omega.

And it’s easy as hell to cheat Lv. 3s nto the board, so Leviair for days (not for this, for what it banishes).

0/60

Creativity/Flavor: It seems like you tried to make a tie-together that makes no sense. Why does this support Performage? This seems much more like an Odd-Eyes card, but you just chucked in Performage instead. It’s a RINGMASTER, this has nothing to do with another troupe.

It’s not creative or innovative, at all. It’s a rehash of existing card.

0/25

OCG: Wording that doesn’t work, or tries to plain cheat, such as destroying for a cost, nevermind the whole board. Poor use of PSCT obvious even to me.

0/15

TOTAL: 0/100

[spoiler=Enguin - Crystal Beast Tamer]
Balance/Utility: This is doing way too much. Just way, way too much.

It is a mass of effects lazily shoved together in order to make a deck playable, but it goes too far with it.

Dumping copies of itself seems like an oversight, even with the restrictions.

Doesn’t really synergize with the deck, which also hurts flavor.

Not really a boss, which hurts creativity and elegance.

It’s just… there, and it does sheet because it can. And some of it is done too well, like OPT summon Sapphire Pegasus because reasons.

And it floats because… reasooooons????

At least it means you don’t have to run Cat for memes anymore.

5/60

Creativity/Flavor: I’m not sure how this ties in… Or why it works with Rainbow Dragon when it’s a mere tamer. How is it taming a GOD? And it really doesn’t tie in at all, just serves as “enable us pls”.

I get the interaction with the beasts as a tamer, but it really doesn’t interact with the cards.

Absolutely uninspired and uncreative.

5/25

OCG: This card is a rulings nightmare.

“Crystal” and “Rainbow” cards is far, far too broad, also lacks an exclusion of “Malefic Rainbow Dragon” for the Rainbow Dragon effect, despite the archetype being “Ultimate Gem God” and Malefic not falling under that.

And the first effect needs a (Min. 1) for clarity.

Otherwise proper, so you get a few points.

5/15

other 2

Yup, I underestimated Bujin's power, and made some bad changes later on. Can't believe I failed so much. One thing of note is that originally in my lore, it was designed to be the law abiding god to combat the evil of the other Pendulum Scale, hence Noritaka. While yes, nothing needs another Pendulum Scale, I thought it might be interesting, and in fact, I still do, but I need to think more carefully about design. Good grading!

By Ardha, i meant the composite form of Shiva and Parvati. The effects show off duality and the fact that Shiva is the destroyer, so it fits the bill of Cyber Angels being based from Hinduism/Buddhism. I could have just called it Ardhanari but i thought Ardha was okay enough. I didnt expect that it will take you to a yoga technique orz

I did say I'd have your grades in by Wednesday at latest, so here you go. (A note that I had to look over the cards a few times and recalculate grades accordingly). As a whole, a lot of cards did end up getting marked down a lot more than usual.

[spoiler=Grades]
Standard
B: 60
C: 25
O: 15
Total: 100

You will get a general overview of the cards and how I felt you did here. In terms of OCG, I will break that part into three pieces (as it is already divided as such). If you want to see exact fixes and all, let me know. (I am not providing them now b/c YCM coding breaks it for some reason)

A note that I only said that your entry needs to be a boss monster; you did not need to adhere to any standard 25/20 stats or so on.

Gadjiltron
B: 37
C: 16
O: 15 (5, 5, 5)
Total: 68

Considering the existence of Avenger and Stinger (please pardon me for the use of the Japanese names), this is an appropriate step up in terms of the Effect Monster bosses for them (one Level higher and stronger stats). As a whole, least it lets them go into Rank 7 or 8 if they wanted to (pretty much Isolde for them), so at least it opens up a bit more openings for them. I am a bit iffy about them getting access to those two Ranks like that, but I don't think it'll be that breaking. Otherwise, if one chooses not to go Xyz into something, you can still non-target banish something (and that says something against common bosses with targeting immunity and such). Granted, you only get one effect per turn, but either of them helps (depends on the situation you find yourself in)

Although, Igknights did get a new toy in Unite and while this card can't be NS'd, nothing is stopping it from being SS'd by that instead and then doing everything else (just as a sidenote). Overall, it fits flavor-wise into the Igknight hierarchy and gives them some new options to explore in terms of R7/8 plays, although I'm a bit hesitant on giving them access like this.

OCG-wise, you're fine.

Dragon Sage
B: 26
C: 13
Total: 54

So what do we have here? A Level 7 / S8 Pendulum that's eligible for Rekindling support, punishes every form of summoning bosses except Xyz (bar certain conditions), JD, Infernoids and some other stuff, plus punishes the opponent for destroying it by messing up their SS'd stuff for a turn. Oh right, and prevents the opponent from using Notice or something to stop you. (I'm probably going on a limb and assuming you based this on Joan of Arc).

First of all, it's a generic Scale 8 with sizable stats to boot. Yes, we have gotten Metalphosis Wolframe, who is a S8 with 24/20 stats but recall that it's a Vanilla (barring the Igknight-esque thing). This one prevents the opponent from stopping your plays with stuff like Notice, BTH and a lot of other things when you Pendulum. Second Pendulum effect is fine though; suppose you can use that to recover stuff that either you can't P-Summon again or really SS from the Graveyard or wherever.

As for the monster effect, I suppose it's nice for messing up certain Decks and all so they can't revive things later. Last effect essentially leaves the opponent with a hard choice; either they destroy this card and lose their ability to use SS stuff (which applies to everything that isn't Monarchs or whatever can live without their SS'ing) or deal with a 27/2 monster (Castel exists to remove it, among other things, yes)

In general, I think it does a bit too much considering its capacities. Granted, it is definitely what you'd call a boss monster, but pushes it a lot. I would probably see this getting a space somewhere, since bypassing Notice and the like is helpful (though an eyesore for the opponent who ends up having to deal with it).

As for OCG stuff, “Return” is supposed to be lowercase after the semicolon, but otherwise it's fine. The “End Phase / end of the turn” stuff is still debatable, and while the latter wording is the new standard, it has been written both ways). Again, I can clearly understand what your intent was.

Tori-kun
B: 31
C: 15
Total: 61

I did a quick Google search on this card's name; either led to a demon from Shin Megami Tensei or Matsyendranath (actually led to a yoga move, which was named for him). Other four are either Buddhist/Hindu figures, so guess the naming makes sense here.

But as-is, suppose you can Tribute 2 of either Benten/Idaten to get this out in Cyber Angels, then search more stuff and make this a 5000 ATK beater, which is pretty nice. It's also capable of messing up Graveyard plays on the opponent's end upon summoning, or even recycling used Ritual/support stuff, so that works. Then again, you can wipe your opponent's entire monster lineup or backrow/Scales depending on what; recycling Benten/Idaten lets you Raigeki and make them re-search things and the Ritual itself (or really any Ritual that goes well) to blow up backrow and go for game.

From how I see it, card goes with the other Cyber Angels and benefits off them and their usual support. Suppose it works if you either cannot bomb enough stuff via Vishnu or need certain cards removed to go for the kill, but yeah it basically say OTK enabler over it; albeit one you do need to devote an appropriate amount of effort for.

OCG is fine.

Striker
B: 26
C: 9
O: 14.5 (5, 5, 4.5)
Total: 49.5

So this is the card you were posting off in the Discord CC area, eh?

I noticed you copied this card's summon condition off of Fortress, but there is one thing you need to remember; Fortress is 7, and needs another card to SS itself from the Graveyard (if you are discarding itself). This, however, is Level 8 and because its condition just says 8 or more, what is to stop you from just discarding this card, then SS'ing it for free. Also a note that one can get 2 in hand, discard each separately, then proceed to Rank 8 or something.

But yeah, this card pretty much seals off any monster from doing anything for the turn, except bosses who don't care and can run this thing over otherwise. I will admit that some of the meta Decks need to be slowed down a bit, but this is going a bit too far with the full lock on everything (it's pretty much Breakthrough Skill with a lot more restrictions on the affected monster). I would've been fine with this just Special Summoning from the Graveyard; Deck is iffy.

Yeah, I get the point that Rock Stun is supposed to mess with the metagame, but card does too much. It's definitely usable and gives them a push up, but is pretty much a free 25/20 Level 8 that is extremely overbearing. If it were Level 7 like Fortress, maybe things would've been different.

OCG-wise, its float effect is optional (given wording), so should be an “if”, not “when” [yes, Konami is inconsistent with their own wording]. Otherwise, it's fine. (The full lock doesn't have any precedent in the current pool for formatting, but looks accurate enough)

Major's Shadow
B: 32
O: 13 (5, 5, 3)
Total: 60

(For the purpose of this review, I'll use the standard English names of the knights this Archetype is based on)

Right now, NK's only have 3 ED for this to make use of this card (Synchro Lancelot and both forms of King Arthur as the Xyz), so suppose this can get away with what it does. Still, not really a fan of this being a technical copy of Merlin as far as making the ED monsters; though, it is more flexible and can use any NK you want. The last effect is basically there to either revive your bosses (in-Deck) or Special Summon something, but outside of maybe this (another copy) and the ED monsters, that's about it. I think you probably could've been fine with just banishing this card to SS something (and not 2 Noble Arms cards as well, despite those usually leading to a lot of their power-ups and all). Without them, NK's aren't that great.

(From a flavor perspective, I guess it's a reference to his downfall/repentance?)

OCG-wise, you did fine, except for the bolded. First one was a can/may thing (I know that in proper English, “may” is correct but for card writing, you use “can”. Rest of it is small things. You don't need to write the effects in bullet points; only do that if you have a choice about what effects you need to write. (This is why I like hybrid PSCT at times; you can mark off where an effect starts/ends without much confusion; you were free to use it here if you wanted.)

Yuuji
B: 34
Total: 64

Well, it's a free 2500 ATK monster on your first turn (but it is pushing things). I suppose the idea for this card is to make the opponent's monster immune to battle destruction, then combo it up with its second effect for three times the damage. This card can probably run over a lot of things and capitalize on the damage a bit, so guess there's that. Or conversely, just use it to protect another monster (or itself). As a whole, my general thoughts about the card is that it can capitalize on hitting weak monsters and then making the damage hurt even more than normal.

OCG-wise, I don't think you need to write “only” for her repeat attack thing with the original stats; otherwise I get where you're going with it otherwise. (So basically, on the second attack, any stat boosts/reductions either monster has are nullified, but battle damage is doubled)

As a whole, card is pretty simple and does what it's intended to do well enough, even though I'm not really keen on its tripling damage thing.

Spell Counter King
B: 12
C: 7
O: 8 (4, 2.5, 1.5)
Total: 27

Uh yeah, why would Monarchs even bother with this? It requires you to Tribute monsters that have already been Tribute Summoned; there is no reason to even run this over a Mega Monarch or even the other regular Monarchs for that matter. Yeah, it's a big 4K wall but standard Monarchs are aggressive and push with Erebus/Aither/whatever; even if you Tribute Summon, it only gets 1000 ATK to even do stuff. Also remember that it will NOT get the boost from Dominion or even lock out the opponent's ED. Even if this card revives the Monarchs used to summon this (or really any Tribute Summoned monster) after it gets blown up (and I have to remind you that Castel and other forms of non-destructive removal exists), they lose any protection from March of the Monarchs and Dominion's lock out. If I already have 3 TS'd Monarchs out, I'm 99.99% of the time going to be kicking the opponent's face in for game (either Erebus killed out their field, Aither spammed stuff or whatever, and I have the resources to win). This...just doesn't help Monarchs at all. Even if you removed the Tribute Summoned requirement, it's still not accomplishing anything useful. (I guess this card can let them Rank 6/8 stuff later, but Monarchs generally run NO Extra Deck, or don't touch it except for Fuyu to kill the opponent because of their own support.)

Flavor-wise, it really doesn't fit into the Monarch profile. A simple ATK boost doesn't do anything of worth, even if it can float the Monarchs back.

“Can not” isn't the way you write “cannot” (despite the two parts being correct English words), wording on its Defense Position thing is vague (I will assume it is intended to trigger after it attacks [if ever] and the OCG mistakes [see the bolded]; you forgot to change the hard OPT thing. That, and forgetting original name was changed.

I'll give you points for trying (the card isn't broken, but really this card is too restricted to even do anything useful for Monarchs or any Tribute Summon deck). It would've helped if you actually knew what Monarchs actually do. Even if you had kept its original name, it still wouldn't have done anything.

Royal Paladin
B: 45
C: 21
O: 10.5 (5, 3, 2.5)
Total: 76.5

It doesn't do Insects much justice that the only competent Insect deck right now is Inzektors (Digital Bugs MIGHT have been good if Konami hadn't been xenophobic with their support/Xyz). I mean, you can still use some of the really old Equip Spells on smaller insects, but that's really it. Inzektors can probably do it, but they Equip to make Xyz. Suppose this can let them return the smaller ones back to Equip again for Level increases and such (those tend to boost Levels), but I don't see where this would fit. Maybe if it lost the Equip requirement or something.

The lessened Tribute requirement helps them out a bit, but aside from the C's and maybe a few other things, they really don't have a lot of members who can use this properly OR work properly. Last effect is somewhat vague; given the rest of the text, I assume it's meant when it fights something, the opponent's effects are negated and opponent cannot chain backrow like the Mirror Forces (which is still nice). If it otherwise triggers when it simply attacks (either direct attack or the above), then it's better, although with the existence of hand traps, an AG-clause simply isn't as good. Stats are good though.

OCG-wise, you at least spell checked things, but problems lie in minor capitalization things and yes, some comprehension. (I'm assuming you don't need to battle a monster for it to get off its effect)

It's a nice card for Insects, but really doesn't have a home in such Decks because lack of competent ones that are worth playing. It isn't your fault by any means, but you might've been better off designing a card for Types that have more usable stuff to work with. Weevil would probably like this card though; it's a much easier boss to get out instead of Insect Queen or Perfectly Ultimate.

JuanoGS11
B: 30
Total: 58

I'm going to admit that like a lot of you, I'm not too impressed with the new Destiny HEROs Konami has released so far. (They will count for this card's interactions as they were released before deadline)

Hmm, so a slight take on Fortress's own SS effect (bar for being a Semi-Nomi). I suppose one can banish dead Plasmas or two smaller D-HEROs for its summon; think mostly Diamond Dude and guess Drillguy or some others. It also locks out anything from your opponent's side with 2500 or less ATK (assuming this is alone), so that means no SSing Kozmo ships, Monarchs cannot trigger Idea/Eidos and really a bunch of other things (no Yuki Usagi/Fuyu Sakura, Stardust cannot trigger; the list goes on). Then again, it also lets you go into Plasma or even Dogma for free by banishing it, but assuming your board is empty. (Plasma is the better choice)

In all, while I'm hesitant on this card for being able to screw over the opponent's options, especially given 2500 is pretty good on its own, at least you cannot OTK (well until the late game anyway). I do appreciate it for slowing a lot of the combo enablers down, but yeah might be too much.

OCG is fine overall, and easy to read.

(Konami, explain why the new D-HERO support is crap.)

Dova
B: 33
Total: 61

Alright, it seems we got that other Bujin Pendulum that needs to complete Hiruko. Though, it's Level 8 and can't be PS'd in the Deck.

At the least, this card is basically a Foolish Burial for Bujins; letting you mill the Bujingis you need (and get free draws off of it), so sort of a +2 in your case. That in mind, this will prevent you from running generic R4 ED if you actually want to do it, but you could just summon those later on once you got everything. Oh wait, it also triggers off the Bujingi when they do stuff; well, that helps.

From my perspective, the SS thing lock hurts it a bit since Bujin want to go for Rank 4s (preferably Susanowo and the like), though this is sort of a stronger back boss for them otherwise. Looking at it again, the SS lock is a small cost to make sure that you can get your stuff off and keep recycling the Bujingi for a while. Guess you can use the banish to recycle Yamato or something, and keep searching.

Naming-wise, I'm not really sure where you got it from; Hiruko stems from Japanese mythology, so kind of expected the other Pendulum to have some relationship to that.

In all, card doesn't have a lot of flavor in naming, and exists to really give Bujins recycling power and all.

OCG is fine.

Darjkie
B: 20
C: 5
O: 12 (4, 5, 3)
Total: 37

So you made a Judgment Dragon clone for Blackwings, coupled with a Soul Charge-esque effect for them. While the Soul Charge thing is tempting, it hurts you a lot especially if they have their backrow set up (and from test runs, they do) and hand. Suppose you can use summoned monsters as either Tribute fodder to blow up the opponent's backrow (if any) / Scales, but I'd probably just use the summoned monsters; make Raikiri and just wipe the opponent's stuff out if necessary. At this point in time, if you're resorting to banishing the rest of your cards and hand stuff, you had better win; only time they really want to banish is for Allure or Cards for Black Feathers if they really need to draw more. I guess it's also a free 3k around Dominion if BWs end up facing Monarchs.

Naming-wise, it's out of line with the general naming conventions, even if this is supposedly the big Main Deck boss for Blackwings. (Notice how the existing stuff is named)

You had 1 spelling error on “their” (I did tell you all to spellcheck, right?) and some other small details (if/when statements, although Konami has been inconsistent with their own wording). Otherwise, I didn't have issues reading your stuff.

In the long run, I guess this card isn't going to be what JD is to Lightsworns; a walking OTK engine (as you do have to banish everything else you have on board and in hand), but not really keen on you copying things from it, let alone a Soul Charge thing. Right now though, I think they can already swarm the field enough without needing this card to do things for them.

Brimtosis
B: 45
C: 17
O: 11 (5, 3, 3)
Total: 73

OK, so this thing can only come out if either you get board wiped or the opponent does; least it also considers floaters. While being immune to battle is nice, a little reminder that effect removal is VERY common and this card won't be sticking around long with those out. Getting stronger with battle destruction is fine and all, but not really the greatest thing in the world.

As for its other effect, suppose you can set up the Graveyard, then Deck thin as needed; either you get a monster and SS it (with effects removed) or lower your Deck size by 2. For the former, it's only good for bypassing certain negative effects that restrict it and so on; latter is sort of like a small draw engine, but that's about it.

I really don't know what Decks can find space for this card. I mean, battle destruction does still occur in light of the effect removal that exists, but I really can't find a home for this. While it is a target for Kaiser Sea Snake, I don't know if you intended for this card to be a full-on Nomi or Semi first. Former basically screws it over from being a target; latter at least gives you a chance to revive this card if it does get Raigeki'd or something.

As mentioned above, I have no idea if you wanted this to be a Semi that triggers on battle destruction or a Nomi. Rest of it is generally fine, but it's knowing whether or not you wanted this to be revivable later. I am grading this on the assumption this is a Nomi, given the original wording you had. (You want this card to be SS'd when 2 or more monsters have been killed by battle that turn).

It could've had a nice run with Sea Snake, but right now, you don't have that option; least from what I get out of this.

Nai
B: 35
C: 14
O: 13 (5, 5, 3)
Total: 62

I am going to assume that the face-down ED card you banish will be face-up, so both players can confirm what was banished, and that the appropriate monsters can get a power bonus.

Otherwise, it's useful for locking off Extra Deck spam from a lot of things nowadays. Then again, it also borrows a bit from Gofu's “Graveyard Synchro effect”, so you can at least bypass stuff like Dominion and/or reuse stuff that either triggers on summoning OR those monsters that have Nomi clauses. I'm a bit hesitant on letting certain Decks recycle their ED bosses though, even if this is basically a double-edged sword (and your opponent can do it as well); though they are still bound by the 1 of each ED type per turn.

With consideration that Instant Fusion/Noden exists, a bit iffy on letting this be summoned off easily from that. It's basically a permanent Breakthrough Skill that requires Graveyard/hand fodder. Most Decks are Archetypal and generally share same Type/Attribute, so you can at least negate a few things. Then again, it's immune to Castel, Dark Destroyer and a lot of other common monsters that like getting rid of things and such.

Synchro lets you non-target banish things and I guess recycle Synchro materials at the same time. Not really sure what Decks can actually do it; guess you can return a ED monster and a regular Tuner or something. Then it's a LIGHT Fiend; not really sure why it needs to be this (looking at the current pool, there isn't anything that supports the combo, but separately they do, although is it worth it to run those cards for this?

Xyz one is awkward though; basically banish 3 cards of same Level, then a toned down version of Graceful Charity. I don't think it's really worth the cost (I guess you can retrieve the banished stuff later with Burial from a Different Dimension or something). There is Pot of Avidity, but since that was shown after the deadline, I can't consider it here. Same thing goes with the DARK Fairy typing; it's a bit out of the blue, but I suppose that the Attribute/Type pairings are supposed to go in with its name.

Though, I suppose that if you can get all of the ED types out and Tribute them for this card; you pretty much have blanket immunity to everything, plus multiple Types and Attributes. To me, this really does a lot considering the “small” cost to really summon this card. Most Pendulum decks do have 1-2 ED monster types, so they can use this for multiple effects.

As a whole, I feel that this card does too much (and really feels tacked down); the individual effects on their own are technically fine though. P-effect is basically a slightly less restrictive Winda but allows “recycling” of ED monsters.

OCG is basically some capitalization and some terminology stuff (again, Konami can be inconsistent about certain wording, so I am not docking points for using the wrong word. Underlined thing is somewhat awkward to me and I don't see any current wording for it; I get what you're trying to say though.

asterr259
B: 34
C: 12
O: 14 (5, 5, 4)
Total: 60

So I guess we get Yuya/Dennis support now. (Imagining this to look sort of like Yusho)

Going to assume that this card's inherent NS thing does not avoid the necessary Tribute costs (similar to the Yosenju stuff); that might be a bit of a turnoff especially given that you can't really Pendulum this because it's a Level 8. Suppose you can chain this after a Skullcrobat NS; search and then get this out. Skeptical about this card getting free reign to destroy any card on the field in order to grant EMEm immunity to Mirror Force and other forms of destruction; guess you can blow up the opponent's back row or some problematic monsters, but I would've preferred this to have done it on your field (though even if you blew up your own monsters, they can just recur themselves). As for its other effect, suppose it'll let you recycle stuff like Friend/Secondonkey or some other things that need to be retrieved from the Graveyard to trigger again. In terms of the Em part, guess you can recycle Juggler/Clown or whatever gets used now, so guess it works.

(For a ringmaster, I suppose it makes sense that he's the strongest member of the “circus”, but in a sense, he isn't doing much for a boss. I would've at least expected him to have some more presence on the field though; Sleight Hand does more [albeit being an easier summon]. That, and some things related to why he's associating with Performage. I'll take it as an implicit reference to Yusho/Dennis in a way, but that's a long shot.)

OCG marks are pretty much capitalization things (and whatever I crossed off; if it says discard, it generally implies the hand); other than that, you're good.

Enguin
B: 23
C: 10
O: 14 (4.5, 5, 4.5)
Total: 47

OK, so we have something that can mass set up your Graveyard for Rainbow Dragon's summoning and pump while you're at it. Because of the naming thing in TCG, there are a lot of other “Crystal” or “Rainbow” cards that have no relation to Crystal Beasts at all. With that in mind, this can end up getting VERY powerful depending on how much you discard from your hand (and how late you summon this card). At least it requires a different name, but skeptical on the amount of power it gains per separate card (suppose it's more of a mid/late game thing). Then again, it protects your other Crystal cards from targeting, but Vanguard already does that.

In reality, card is basically searcher/Grave set-up (again, already done with Vanguard except he needs to Tribute self); get another CB or one of the support Spell Cards (bar the Field) or SSing from anywhere (i.e. SS Pegasus or Ruby, then proceed to do things). For TCG purposes, I guess we can exclude Vanguard/Protector, so at least they have some way of retrieving things they need, while setting up the Graveyard.

I am not fond of this card also floating into a Rainbow Dragon out of nowhere, especially from the Deck. Would've been fine if it were from the hand or Graveyard (it would be in the latter if you had discarded it to summon this in the first place). Granted, Rainbow Dragon is still a bit of a pain to get out given you need all of the beasts in the Graveyard, so guess this helps to get it out.

I suppose this card does help them out with getting their Graveyard set up with the support Spells and all (and looking at them now, they need that push), but not on board with both of its effects SSing from the hand/Deck/Graveyard; especially the Rainbow Dragon one (Searching one is fine).

“eith”? I'm guessing it was an accidental typo and meant to say “with” (as e/w are next to each other on keyboard); I know you meant to say “with”. That, and you should've said (min. 1) on the SS condition too.

In all, wasn't really satisfied with a lot of entries either. But yeah, if you have questions with how either Black or I graded your stuff, let us know.

I guess i wasn't surprised about the score for mine, in hindsight. Looked over it again, and it seems that it really looking pretty bloated, textwise. Probably should've just streamlined it as I was figuring out to try something sophia-like but can be accessed more easily conditionally.

And the effects...for the monster effect it really is tacked on. At first I was going to reference Trishula, Ouroboros, and Anoyatyllis on the effects but i forgot halfway through. Really does need a total makeover yeah.

Scores are the average of your two scores. In order of best to worst.

1. Brimtosis: 76.5
  2. Royal Paladin: 68.25
  3. ナナシ: 53.5
  4. Major's Shadow: 50
  5. Gadjiltron: 49
  6. Yuuko Kazami: 48
  7. Tori-Kun: 47
  8. Dova: 43
  9. JuanoGS11: 41.5
  10. Hajime Hinata: 37
  11. Enguin: 32
  12. asterr239: 30
  13. Detective Duck: 24.75
  14. Darjkle: 23.5
  15. Spell Counter King: 16

I only got 15 entries out of 18 people who signed, Black, whoever didn't submit something got an automatic zero. Those three who got 0s for no submissions were Raigem, Jeradin (but I think he left after a fallout with 1v1) and SilentKatana.

(Suppose it wouldn't make a difference either way, but I was going to calculate final scores out of a joint 200 points [100 from you, and 100 from me]. You can just multiply the averages by 2 to get final scores, but result is still the same.)

----

I'll leave this open until the end of the day, so if any of you have final concerns or remarks about how we scored you, please say something within that timeframe.

I mentioned this in your grading, but how did you intend for this card to be summoned? Nomi, like what I graded this to be, or Semi (you can at least revive it later after its initial condition is met)?

Like I mentioned in the OP, I did not read your flavor notes while grading. If you all would like to mention the idea behind your cards now, feel free to do so.

Archived