Yu-Gi-Oh! Codex of Shadows [IC/PG-16/Always Accepting]

◇ Void ◇

Emfur Sherman vs. Yami Tomoya

2800 LP --- == --- 4000 LP

Turn 3

==+==+==+==

Emfur could barely hear Tomoya's taunt, as his head was spinning. What'd happened...? He blinked once, twince, then thrice. Finally, it all rushed back to him, and he grit his teeth. How?! How'd he forget to activate his battle trap?! He'd set it there on purpose, for the sole purpose of disrupting a play such as this! Gritting his teeth, Emfur forced himself to grin. Well, at least Tomoya was good, despite being possessed. Perhaps he was good BECAUSE he was possessed. That was a disturbing thought. Still, he still had two monsters for Tomoya's one. Even if... even if he did have that face-down, and Valhalla. Emfur decided then. He needed to be completely serious. If he wasn't, then he'd be in trouble. Before, he'd made a wall of monsters, just hoping he could throw Tomoya off his game, but he was able to summon just as many-- perhaps even more-- monsters than he did, along with set up for the future.

"Well, well, well--" he drew, adding the card to his hand without prying his eyes away from Yami Tomoya. "--you really ARE good at this game!" His grin subsided some, and seriousness replaced the previous forced excitement. "What a bother." Looking down at his hand, he sighed, furrowing his brow. He might be able to deal with Tomoya's monster right now, if he could play his cards right, but that'd leave Tomoya with a few Life Points. Generally, Emfur preferred to defeat his opponents with one, graceful, heroic attack. But he wouldn't be able to-- not with this hand, anyways. Still... maybe...

"Hmph. A simple turn from me. First, I summon an old friend of mine: Blue Dragon Summoner! Come to the field!" Emfur cried, slapping the Spellcaster down. However, not one, but two beasts leapt from the responding card: the Dragon Summoner himself, and a Stand, of sorts. It had a vague, armor-like design, with a long tail-like hair braid that descended down its back, and corresponding blue armor. "Don't worry, Geister, this card isn't like Daybreaker-- It won't bring out a monster right away." The Blue Dragon Summoner grinned cockily, whipping his hair back, as the two Daybreaker knights stared on, on guard behind him. "But speaking of Daybreaker, I think its time you broke that facade of yours, warrior! You're upset, aren't you? That you've been forced to watch your beloved Captain fall in battle, right?" The left Daybreaker broke formation, looking back at Emfur, his armor either quaking in anger, or in agreement. "Well then, how about you take to battle then! But not before I play this-- Battleguard Rage!" The face-down was revealed: Battleguard Rage. Just as the Trap card was activated, an angry, powerful red aura surrounded the Daybreaker that'd broke formation. He hunched over, before throwing himself forward, and loosing an angry roar, swinging his blade around wildly. His armor even took on a red hue.

"Though I'm not usually the manipulating type, sometimes things like this need to happen! And at the advent of an extra 1000 attack points, I don't think a little emotional manipulation's all that wrong, right?" Blue Dragon Summoner nodded in agreement, that cocky-as-ever grin on his face. "Alright men! Enraged Daybreaker, smite that Gravespire! Enraged Warrior's Light!" Emfur cried, flinging out his right hand, which caused the knight to move into action. Loosing another bellow, the red energy gathered along the edge of his holy blade, as its features were lost to a bright glow emanating from within the blade. With 2700 ATK, he easily cleaved through Mephistophles, leaving the robed creature hissing from the holy cut. However, it wasn't going to go down so easily. Before Daybreaker could finish the job, Mephistophles made the snap decision to slip by the Enraged Daybreaker, and into Emfur's Graveyard with a snap, turning into blue energy much to Emfur's confusion.

"What in the-- why?!" He glared at his graveyard; he could practically hear the Gravespires within each cackling with glee at another member joining their ranks. "Tch! What a bother... that card was supposed to return that monster to your hand!" He flicked his eyes back up at Yami Tomoya, his cheery attitude all but gone. He was good. Way good. Much better than he expected him to be. It seemed that, no matter what, his monsters would have to endure sharing a Graveyard with the Gravespires. "Well, whatever! I've still got my main attack! Blue Dragon Summon! Art of Summoning: Wind Dragon!" The monster responded immediately, leaping into the air as the armor shot forward, slamming into Tomoya with all its might, before he was blasted with a gust of wind from up high: the Summoner's doing. "And Daybreaker, don't let up! Follow up with Warrior's Light!" Next Yami Tomoya would have to deal with a blade of holy light slashing across his chest, the blade screaming as it sliced through the Shadow Realm's rank air with holy power. Both monsters leapt back to their original positions, as Emfur watched Tomoya's LP slowly drain, down to a meager 500. He was almost there! One last attack, and he'd be golden! But...

Staring at his hand of two, he knew he couldn't last any longer with just what he had out. He'd be swamped in no time. He'd be better off making a sacrifice to get better cards. "Alright! From my hand I activate the spell card, Magic Planter! By sacrificing my Battleguard Howling--" The aforementioned trap was lowered into Magic Planter's boiling pot, it melting as it touched the surface of the bubbling liquid within. "--I can draw two cards from my deck!" The bubbling eventually stopped, and two cards shot out of the pot and into Emfur's hand, before the hologram disappeared. Emfur looked down into his hand. Better, but not golden. He'd still need one last card from his deck to finish this chump for good.

"Now, I'll end my turn with a face-down ca-- bwah!" Just as Emfur was about to end his short, but fruitful turn, he watched in horror as five different hands, each gnarled and rotting, plucked five pristine cards off the top of his deck, and greedily sucked them into the Graveyard: after this brutal act was done, as if to spite him, something from within his Graveyard had the audacity to burp, as if it'd actually eaten the monsters within the cards it'd taken. His face turning a bright red, Emfur then ended his turn, eyes locked on Yami Tomoya. "Make your move, Geister. And it better be good. With only 500 life points remaining... it may be your last."

==+==+==+==

TURN END

2800 LP --- == --- 500 LP

[Yami Tomoya]

Hand: 3; Field: 2 (Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen, 1 face-down Spell/Trap card)

Graveyard: (Graceful Charity, Double Summon)

Deck: 30

[Emfur Sherman]

Hand: 2; Field: 4 ( Daybreaker x2, Blue Dragon Summoner, 1 face-down Spell/Trap card)

Graveyard: 13 (Gravespire Andrealphus X2, Gravespire Azrale X2, Gravespire Mephistophles, Marauding Captain, Magic Planter, Battleguard Howling, 5 misc. cards)

Deck: 26

[spoiler=Cards Used]

51WirJdQfbL._SY450_.jpg

Blue Dragon Summoner
Level 4 - WIND - Spellcaster-type Monster
Effect: If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can add 1 Dragon, Warrior, or Spellcaster-type Normal Monster from your Deck to your hand.
ATK 1500/DEF 600

1058932.jpg

Battleguard Rage
Continuous Trap Card
Effect: Activate this card by targeting 1 Warrior-Type monster you control; it gains 1000 ATK. Monsters destroyed by battle with it are returned to the hand instead of going to the Graveyard. When that monster leaves the field, destroy this card.

516hxUFkESL.jpg

Magic Planter
Normal Spell Card
Effect: Send 1 face-up Continuous Trap Card you control to the Graveyard. Draw 2 cards.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

page-divider.png

"Dark Counterattack"

2800 LP --- == --- 500 LP

Turn 4

page-divider.png

“Grrrraaaaahhhhhhhhh!” Yami Tomoya filled with fury as the attacks assaulted him, weakening him to a meagre 500 Life Points. His head slouched down, gasping for breath as parts of his body continued to smoke from the attacks. Clawing at the ends of the Valhalla throne, Yami Tomoya pulled the strength to return him to his feet, with limbs still limp. Slowly his head shivered back upright, letting Emfur see the veins at the edge of his face pop up from the strain. Reaching for his disk, Yami Tomoya simply drew his card for the turn.

“That. Was. A MISTAKE!” he declared, pissed off at the devestating strike onto himself, raising a hand towards Vahalla’s card. “I activate Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen again! So I bring forth another copy of Gravespire Mephistophles!” The identical creature appeared from the ground in a similar fashion to his predecessor, before gaining strength from the infestation growing in Emfur’s Graveyard.

[ATK 0 -- > 3000]

“Now for my Normal Summon, I bring forth Gravespire Lucifer!” Shimmering into life was a terrible homunculus of rotting beasts that resembled a werewolf, with a horned skull face and wolverine-like claws. Its tribal savage attire was decorated with ribcage and dead foliage: the perfect nest for horrible snakes to fester in, ready to pounce.

[ATK 0 --- > 2000]

“Next, I’ll activate Descendant’s Soul!” The hologram generated a spell card, launching a green mist onto Mephistophles and Emfur’s Graveyard. “Descendant’s Soul is a powerful spell that only works if I control a monster with the same name as a monster in your Graveyard.” The mist reached deep, before extracting a projection of the original Mephistophles card, charging it green before launching it into Yami Tomoya, who shivered as his body shimmered with green energy, embracing the renewed strength with open arms. “Now I gain Life Points equal to the ATK of the monster I control on the field!”

[Yami Tomoya’s LP: 500 --- > 3500]

“Much better. But I’m far from finished, for now I activate my Face-Down: Royal Decree!” Yami Tomoya flipped a switch, causing the face-down hologram to raise itself up, before shimmering. “With this, all other Trap Cards are negated. Now whatever little stunt you might have pulled with that obvious face-down is now useless!” Yami Tomoya smirked, reaching his left arm out and pointing at Emfur’s blue-haired monster: The time to counterattack was now. “Gravespire Mephistophles, attack Blue Dragon Summoner!” The fiend charged low, launching itself into the human-looking half of the duo. Mephistophles’ claw formed a tight vice around the ankle of the monster, swinging him upside down while its horned beast counterpart watched in horror. The human summoner was thrown upwards by the Gravespire, before brutally colliding, bludgeoning the pair into submission and disintegrating both their holograms. The fiend gave a hollow laugh before returning to Yami Tomoya’s field with a slow shuffle.

[Emfur’s LP: 2800 --- > 1300]

“Now Lucifer! Take down one of his Knights!” Yami Tomoya commanded, sending the beast into a violent pirouette, almost comical like in nature. However, it was no laughing matter when from the blur of fur and flesh threw out two hissing King Cobras: Their fangs presented to be dripping with venom! They slapped onto the left knight’s exterior with a meaty thump, before quickly slivering up to his neck. The Daybreaker futilely resisted by pulling them off, only to find out that they could dislocate their jaws to swallow larger prey in a horrific manner. With that, Daybreaker fell to his knees with his helmet swallowed by the snake before shattering into nothing. Lucifer himself slowed his momentum, stomping his feet into the ground as strong brakes.

[Emfur’s LP: 1300 --- > 1100]

“Pathetic monsters: All they can do is make their suscessors stronger and your demise quicker. But for now, I finish my turn with another face-down card.” Yami Tomoya slotted the last card in his hand into the free slot, with his Duel Disk generating the appropriate hologram, jesturing for Emfur to proceed.

page-divider.png

TURN END

1100 LP --- == --- 3500 LP

page-divider.png

[Yami Tomoya]

Hand: 0; Field: 5 (Gravespire Mephistophles, Gravespire Lucifer, Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen, Royal Decree, 1 face-down Spell/Trap card)

Graveyard: 3 (Graceful Charity, Double Summon, Descendent's Soul)

Deck: 29

[Emfur Sherman]

Hand: 3; Field: 2Daybreaker, 1 face-down Spell/Trap card)

Graveyard: 15 (Daybreaker, Blue Dragon Summoner, Gravespire Andrealphus X2, Gravespire Azrale X2, Gravespire Mephistophles, Marauding Captain, Magic Planter, Battleguard Howling, 5 misc. cards)

Deck: 26

[spoiler= Cards Used]

Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen

Royal Decree

Gravespire Lucifer

DARK / Fairy / LV 4

[ATK ? / DEF ?]

This cards ATK and DEF are both equal to the number of "Gravespire" monsters in your opponent's Graveyard x 400. When your opponent activates a card effect that would remove a "Gravespire" monster you control from the field: You may banish this card to negate the activation of that effect, and if you do, destroy it. When this card is destroyed or sent to the Graveyard, send it to your opponent's Graveyard instead.While in the Graveyard: At the end of the graveyard controller's turn, they must send the top card of their Deck to the Graveyard.

Gravespire Mephistopheles

DARK / Fairy / LV 7

[ATK ? / DEF ?]

This cards ATK and DEF are both equal to the number of "Gravespire" monsters in your opponent's Graveyard x 600. While you control this card: “Gravespire” monsters cannot be banished from any Graveyards, and you can only Special Summon 1 “Gravespire” monster from your Hand or Deck per turn. When this card is destroyed or sent to the Graveyard, send it to your opponent's Graveyard instead. While in the Graveyard: At the end of the graveyard controller's turn, they must send the top 3 cards of their Deck to the Graveyard.

Descendant’s Soul

Quick-Play Spell Card

Target 1 monster you control that has the same Original Name as a monster in your opponent's Graveyard: Gain LP equal to either its ATK or DEF (whichever is higher).

Toshiro gritted his teeth angrily. He had barely made it into the building before the explosion had ocurred, It wasn't the event so much that annoyed him, but the repercussions.

"Sir, I need to ask you to leave the building. There is a dangerous situation upstairs, and we need to evactuate!"

The security guard standing ahead seemed panicky, but was following procedure. Perhaps a newbie? He wouldn't have expected an incident like this. However, Toshiro did not know how long he could afford to wait. The incident upstairs would probably be contained, and now was an opportunity to prove himself a valuable ally, or, at least, someone not to be underestimated.

"Really, Sir-"

Toshiro had had enough. Gesturing with his hand, one of his bodyguard lunged forward with a fist, connecting with the temple of the stuttering guard. Caught completely by surprise, he fell backwards, then his head impacted against the wall behind him. He slid to the ground, unconscious, but Toshiro and his companions had not waited long enough to see this. They had started moving closer the elevators, the former eager to observe the incident upstairs. The panic-stricken workers around them had not noticed this either, so keen were they to leave what now seemed like a terrorist attack.

Reaching the shut doors, the two bodyguards ignored the flashing red light above them, signifying a system lockdown, and prised open the doors. Toshiro followed as they stepped in and began to tinker with the controls. It was lucky that he had made sure they had at least some technical knowledge.

"Turn it Around!"

Emfur Sherman vs. Yami Tomoya

1100 LP --- == --- 3500 LP

Turn 5

==+==+==+==

"Tch. What a bother..." Though he sounded annoyed, Emfur grinned, even as his Life Points dropped to worrying levels. It was obvious why, the instant that Yami Tomoya ended his turn. Upon the field, a shimmering of blue was seen, and that blue armor that was previously slain with its master became distinct. Its eyes were an empty black, at first, before they raged to life with a dark brown tint-- the colour of wet earth. Shimmering once more, the armor turned into a card back, shrunk, then shot into Emfur's hand.

"Thanks for destroying my Blue Dragon Summoner, Geister! With that, you've triggered his ability!" Showing Tomoya the card that Blue Dragon Summoner's armor transformed into, it was revealed that the card added to Emfur's hand was, infact, his ace: Warrior Dai Grepher. "Which is to add any Normal Spellcaster, Dragon, or Warrior, in this case, to my hand! Maybe you should watch what you destroy!" Even so, he was in a fix now, wasn't he? He'd need a miracle to come back. He had plenty of cards he'd like to activate now, but it was a worrying thought that they might all be in his deck still. Or worse: in his Graveyard. Still, he had a feeling... though it was cliche to say, his deck hadn't ever let him down in moments like this. This next part was all up to him. It was either his skill, or the gutter. If he couldn't pull off a win here, then he'd have to prepare for some major pain.

"Now, I draw!" Emfur whipped his hand out, praying with all his might that the card he'd added to his hand was what he needed. Daring to peek, he felt a sigh of relief flood through him, before a boiling flood of adrenaline blasted through his veins. "Perfect! Now, time to show you that my monsters have a bit more bite to them than you might've thought!" Picking the middle card out of his hand out, he slapped it down onto one of the open blades, adjacent to his last remaining Daybreaker. "Come forth, White Tiger Summoner! Show this cretin the strength of my forces!" Once again, two creatures leapt from one card-- a spiel that was probably getting old to Tomoya-- one of them an old, but burly man with a Wolverine haircut and hard eyes, and a pristine, yet intelligent looking powerful warrior, clad in tiger-like armor. However, they weren't on the field alone for long, as the old man pulled from around his waist his belt, which turned out to be a whip.

"And just like that Marauding Captain you destroyed a couple turns ago, this little number just loves to summon extra creatures! More specifically--" Revealing Warrior Dai Grepher once more, Emfur slapped him down on an open slot as well. "--my old friends! Warrior Dai Grepher, draw your blade, and bring forth honor to this field!" Next to appear was another grizzled warrior, though this one looked much younger (and larger) than Marauding Captain. Bursting forth from the armor that the Summoner had brought with him, he had an air of formality and sadness to him, but at the same time, his youthful appearance boasted confidence beyond his years. He was not even close to fazed when he looked at his opponents: he'd seen monsters just as tough as those ones before. He wasn't intimidated. Though, the same couldn't be said of Emfur, who offered Yami Tomoya a hard grimace to once again see more cards gobbled up by his Graveyard. If he didn't end this soon... he might just Deck out.

"Now, how about I replenish my hand, huh? With this! Pot of Greed!" Feeling no need to explain one of the most famous cards in Duel Monsters, Emfur simply drew his two cards, and sent Pot of Greed on its way. Looking down into his hand, Emfur could've jumped with glee. There it was! A card to turn this duel around! Smiling widely, Emfur got started. "Now, let's get this show on the road! From my hand, I activate the Spell card, The A. Forces! With it, all of my monsters gain 600 attack-- 200 attack for each Warrior or Spellcaster on my field! You're not the only one who can power up their creatures!" As the Spell Card hit the field, a wave of blue, empowering energy washed over each of Emfur's creatures, their eyes becoming more focused, and their group more tightly knit, as they stood shoulder to shoulder, as equals and partners. "But that's not all! My White Tiger Summoner also boosts each individual monster on my field by 100 points, so that's 700 attack for each creature: more than enough to seal your doom!"

White Tiger Summoner [1000 ATK / 1700 DEF] --> [1100 ATK / 1800 DEF]

Daybreaker [1700 ATK / 0 DEF] --> [2400 ATK / 700 DEF]

Warrior Dai Grepher [1700 ATK / 1600 DEF] --> [2400 ATK / 2300 DEF]

"And now, for the final piece of this puzzle! From my hand, I activate you-- the Union card, Crimson Hearth Ryu! Go forth to the Dragon Tamer himself, Warrior Dai Grepher!" Emfur cried, before equipping his monster with the Dragon from his hand. Upon the field, the action was much more extravagant, with Warrior Dai Grepher leaping into the air, and back-flipping onto the small, red dragon whose eyes glittered with hope and positivity. "Don't worry, you'll have a taste of their power yet, but first, I think it's this Daybreaker's time to show you what revenge feels like! Avenge your brother with Warrior's Light!" With its new boost to its ATK, the knight had no issue disposing of the ghastly Lucifer, though to both his and Emfur's displeasure, like all the other Gravespires, it immediately shot into Emfur's Graveyard with a hissing laugh. However, it wasn't the only creature going to the Graveyard this turn.

Yami Tomoya's LP: [3500 --> 3100]

"Dai Grepher! Hearth Ryu! Ryu Magma, now!" Shooting forward, the last remaining monster on Yami Tomoya's field was more than happy to meet the duo halfway, only to be surprised when Dai leapt off his partner's back, and out of view behind him. He had no time to try and catch the warrior, as next he was engulfed by the dragon's flames, as if to say 'Hey! Over here, idiot!' Gurgling in indignation, Mephistophles attempted to claw at the dragon, only to find a hot blade protruding from his chest. Another Gravespire bit the dust, settling in finely in Emfur's Graveyard. "And that, is why I love my little dragons! Crimson's special ability allows him and Dai to destroy any monster with more attack points than them immediately, before either of us takes damage! Finally, White Tiger Summoner, smash that Geister directly with Art of Summoning: Earth Tiger!" Yami Tomoya would be slashed across the face by a leather whip-- the Summoner's-- as if slapping him. Leaping back to his original position, the Summoner looked pleased with himself, though he kept his disposition to himself.

Yami Tomoya's LP: [3100 --> 2000]

"And to end it for me, I'll set another card face-down. Have your turn, then." They still weren't even, though, Tomoya was at the clear advantage. With more than half his deck still playable, and half his LP, he wasn't exactly in the worst of positions. Plus, both of their hands were empty. It was anybody's game, now.

==+==+==+==

TURN END

1100 LP --- == --- 2000 LP

[Yami Tomoya]

Hand: 0; Field: 3 (Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen, Royal Decree, 1 face-down Spell/Trap card)

Graveyard: (Graceful Charity, Double Summon, Descendent's Soul)

Deck: 29

[Emfur Sherman]

Hand: 0; Field: 7 (White Dragon Summoner, Warrior Dai Grepher (Crimson Hearth Ryu Equipped), Daybreaker, The A. Forces, 2 face-down Spell/Trap cards)

Graveyard: 28 (Daybreaker, Blue Dragon Summoner, Gravespire Andrealphus X2, Gravespire Azrale X2, Gravespire Mephistophles x2, Gravespire Lucifer, Marauding Captain, Magic Planter, Battleguard Howling, Pot of Greed, 13 misc. cards)

Deck: 15

[spoiler=Cards Used]

Blue Dragon Summoner

Pot of Greed

1057082.jpg

White Tiger Summoner

Level 3 - EARTH - Spellcaster-type Monster

Effect: When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Normal Monster from your hand. All monsters you control gain 100 ATK and DEF.

ATK 1000/DEF 1700

Yu-Gi-Oh-Legacy-of-Darkness-The-A-Forces

The A. Forces

Continuous Spell Card

Effect: For every face-up Warrior-Type and Spellcaster-Type monster on your side of the field, increase the ATK of all Warrior-Type monsters on your side of the field by 200 points.

28b5x6b.jpg

Warrior Dai Grepher

Level 4 - EARTH - Warrior-type Monster

LORE: The warrior who can manipulate dragons. Nobody knows his mysterious past.

ATK 1700/DEF 1600

gdsp1_zpsn3isssxc.jpg

Crimson Hearth Ryu

Level 3 - FIRE - Dragon-type [union] Monster

Effect: When this card is Special Summoned: you can add 1 "Inquisition" Spell Card from your Deck to your Hand. Once per turn, you can: Target 1 "Warrior Dai Grepher" you control; equip this card from your hand or that you control to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. A monster equipped with this card destroys monsters with higher ATK than it before damage calculation. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)

ATK 1400/DEF 200

page-divider.png

"Fury of the Gentle Darkness"

Emfur Sherman vs. Yami Tomoya

1100 LP --- == --- 3500 LP

Final Turn

page-divider.png

As Emfur’s Crimson Hearth Ryu used its ability to destroy Gravespire Mephistophles, Yami Tomoya flipped the activation switch of his face-down card. But before he could explain it, the leather whip of White Tiger Summoner had struck him right in the chest, leaving him winded. “Uuughh!” He gasped, regaining his breath in pained strokes as Emfur completed his turn.

“Clever little counter, but in doing so, you activated my Quick-Play Spell, ‘Gravespire Pulse’!” The card revealed itself, before sending a series of small shockwaves into the ground that rattled the surroundings. “I can only activate this distress signal when a Gravespire monster is about to be destroyed by a card effect. Now I get to roll a die, and I get to draw the same number of cards as I roll.” Fully explained, Yami Tomoya looked down to the Life Point counter of his duel disk and tapped a little triangular button with a lightly embossed dice symbol under it. The LP counter flashed away, turning from his value and to a scrolling digit between 1 & 6, until grinding to a halt on the number 4. “Perfect!” Yami Tomoya exclaimed, extracting the four cards from Pulse’s effect, along with his turn’s draw. “A fresh hand to eradicate you with.” Yami Tomoya flushed his hand out to examine. His eyes shot between each one, before the twisted mind that controlled the body of Tomoya Yagi assembled the ideas like mental puzzle pieces. “It is the Beginning of the End for you!”

“First, I’ll use Dark Hole to eradicate most of your monsters!” Yami Tomoya slotted the card in, generating a massive abyss which sucked in the Summoners, their familiars and Hearth Ryu: The latter kicking back Warrior Dai Grepher before reaching the event horizon, saving his life. “Now, I use the power of Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen to Special Summon Gravespire Lucifer!” The undead chimera returned as Yami Tomoya used his second copy of the card, his eyes glowing an incandescent blue with the strength of Emfur’s infected Graveyard. “Then I Normal Summon my final copy of Gravespire Azrale!” The familiar fallen angel descended from above the ruins of Valhalla, his hood ablaze with sky-blue energy.

[Gravespire Lucifer ATK: 3000]  [Gravespire Azrale ATK: 3000]

“Then with the magic of Monster Reborn, I bring back another Gravespire Azrale!” The card shimmered, bringing forth another Azrale from Emfur’s graveyard. However in doing so, the overall strength of the first two diminished.

[2800/2800/2800]

“If I felt merciful, I would just finish you now with Lucifer and Azrale.” Yami Tomoya smirked, reaching for the underside of the Black Duel Disk and flipping a heavy mechanical switch. The field fizzed and buzzed with holographic glitches, with the text “Extrahax V1.0.7 Enabled” flashing on each of their Life Point counters for about three seconds. “But no. You will suffer dearly as I rip your soul from a decrepit body.” The field shudder as a glittering vortex appeared across the field, swirling like a galaxy.

“I use Gravespire Lucifer and Two Gravespire Azrales to construct the Overlay Network!” Yami Tomoya declared, setting in motion the Gravespire’s physical forms to dissolve away into various orbs of light, flying away into the abyss. The tower quaked and shuddered from the power that Yami had just put into motion, calling forth a beam of light to emerge and pierce though the ceiling, though the service floors, blasting through the roof of KaibaCorp. Yami Tomoya lowed his head and put the palm of each hand onto the opposite shoulder: Much like how the Pharaohs of the past posed in both life and death, beginning the summoning chant.

"When the Divine Rebellion failed, the Lady of the Stars did not fall into the abyss alone! Now rise again, Fallen Lady of the Stellar Graveyard! XYZ Summon! Descend, "Gravespire Kokabiel!""

Much of the roof above them disintegrated upon the completion of the chant, letting the duo gaze at the descent of a woman twice their size with flowing blonde hair. The face was mostly covered a pair of vertical-pointing horns and polished black helmet that covered the top, while the mouth was covered by a mask that connected a series of horn-like tendrils that connected it to her belt: While also being the only coverage for her average-sized cleavage. The rest of her lower body was covered completely by layered black robes, gilt in gold. Her nailed hands rose up, igniting into vibrant blue flames as she connected with the Gravespires.

[Kokabiel: 0 --- > 2250]

“Behold the herald of your demise. I remove one overlay component to activate her Special Ability!” One of three swirling orbs around Kokabiel, which represent the monsters overlayed to summon her, shot away and into Emfur’s graveyard, which quickly proceeded to roar with not just the anger of the Gravespires within, but with the horrific pain of his monsters! Yami Tomoya could only cackle with maniacal laughter as the spirits of Emfur’s monsters, both summoned by him and discarded, encircled the field as horrific, ghostly disfigurations of themselves.

“Now for this turn, all monsters in your Graveyard become Gravespires themselves, and therefore contribute their power to Kokabiel. And I count almost 14 new converts!” He proclaimed, giving the revelation that about half the cards that Emfur had been forced to discard where monsters. Kokabiel screeched as her size tripled, while the flames around the hands engulfed her form. The room around them crumbled as she expanded though the ceiling, revealing the massive emergency operation outside, along with crowds now fleeing the rubble falling to the ground.

[Kokabiel: 2250 -- > 9000]

“It’s over for you! GRAVESPIRE KOKABIEL, ATTACK WARRIOR DAI GREPHER WITH HELICAL LUNASTRIKE!” Yami Tomoya ordered, sending Kokabiel’s arms up high. A ball of pure energy began to form around the still-visible cresent moon in the sky, ready to strike he lone warrior...

page-divider.png

“This cannot be right. The era does not posess the Numeron Code!”  Kanal was startled at the move, watching the duel through a bubble that representied the skin of their Universe in the Void. He reached forward with his hand, attempting to use his powers to manipulate events, but only succeeding in passing though like a ghost. "What has the Retroarc done?… wait, he might still hear me!”

“Emfur, if you can hear me, use the Cube to break the shadows and get out of there!” Kana commanded, hoping his words reached him.

page-divider.png

[Yami Tomoya]

Hand: 1; Field: 34 (Gravespire Kokabiel, Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen, Royal Decree, 1 face-down Spell/Trap card)

Graveyard: 6 (Graceful Charity, Double Summon, Descendent's Soul, Monster Reborn, Dark Hole, Gravespire Pulse)

Deck: 24

[Emfur Sherman]

Hand: 0; Field: 4 (Warrior Dai Grepher, The A. Forces, 2 face-down Spell/Trap cards)

Graveyard: 31 (Crimson Hearth Ryu, White Dragon Summoner, Daybreaker x2, Blue Dragon Summoner, Gravespire Andrealphus X2, Gravespire Azrale X2, Gravespire Mephistophles x2, Gravespire Lucifer, Marauding Captain, Magic Planter, Battleguard Howling, Pot of Greed, 13 misc. cards)

Deck: 15

[spoiler= Cards Used]

Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen

Dark Hole

Monster Reborn

Gravespire Kokabiel

DARK / Fairy / XYZ / R4

[ATK ? / DEF ?]

3 Level 4 "Gravespire" monsters

This cards ATK is equal to the number of “Gravespire” monsters in your opponent’s Graveyard x 450. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; This turn, all monsters in any Graveyards are treated as “Gravespire” cards. If this card is destroyed or send to the Graveyard, send it and any attached XYZ materials to your opponent’s Graveyard instead.

Gravespire Pulse

[Quick-Play Spell Card]

This card cannot be activated from your hand. Activate only when a face-up “Gravespire” monster you control is destroyed by a card effect. Roll a die, and apply the appropiate effect:

• 1: Destroy all Spell and Trap cards you control.
  • 2-5: Draw a number of cards equal to the number rolled.
  • 6: Destroy all Monsters you control.

Defeat...

Emfur stayed his ground as best he could as the whipping winds generated by the Dark Hole summoned by Yami Tomoya sucked in all but his ace monster, destroying each and every one of them. When Emfur next opened his eyes, he was beholden to great destruction. His entire field was wiped clean, and standing before him, towering above like some kind of obelisk, was a giant woman. Kokabiel, Yami Tomoya had called her, right? It wasn't like it mattered. Not not now, anyways. Emfur grit his teeth, knowing his final actions were in vain, that trying to protect that guard, and worst of all, trying to protect the Cube and the information of Kana's existence were all in vain. For... despite what Kana had wished... he had failed. Gritting his teeth, Emfur felt a horrible weight settle in his stomach and upon his shoulders. He'd failed... but what now? What would Yami Tomoya do now, with both the Cube and his great power? Emfur could feel his energy drain away, slowly, as he stared longer and longer at the Gravespire before him, Dai Grepher standing at attention, ready to defend him directly before his person.

“It’s over for you! GRAVESPIRE KOKABIEL, ATTACK WARRIOR DAI GREPHER WITH HELICAL LUNASTRIKE!”

"Tch... I guess it is..." Emfur muttered in return, a hollow grin decorating his pale face, sweat beading on his brow as he observed his death in the making. "What a bother, huh Dai?" The warrior nodded in agreement, though he was still unfazed. As if he knew what would happen next.

“Emfur, if you can hear me, use the Cube to break the shadows and get out of there!”

The words were faint, but echoing in the back of his mind, Emfur knew exactly whose voice had reached him. Kana. Emfur smiled weakly, nodding, and bringing the Cube up in front of his face. He'd wanted to win this battle on his own. With his OWN strength, not with Kana's help. But there was nothing he could do anymore. Not when death was floating above his head, waiting to be cast down upon him like black thunder. Gritting his teeth, Emfur brought the cube out before him at length, so he could command it with all his power.

"Cube, hear me! Know my voice and listen!" He wasn't sure where the words were coming from, but they didn't feel like his own. They held their own kind of ancient power, one that he wasn't sure was good or bad, yet. "I ask of you this one, solitary time: heed me! Free me! Break the walls down around me, and set myself and those who serve me free!

===+===+===

CUBE / Break Free!

===+===+===

The reaction was instantaneous. A flare of golden light showered Emfur, bathing both himself and Warrior Dai Grepher in protective light, before the Cube shot forward, and became one with Dai's blade. The once silvery-blue blade Dai held was now solid gold, and glowing with the power of a sun. Dai had no issues staring into the light-- his eyes well adjusted to such glares from the years he spent on the battlefield. Emfur, on the other hand, could barely see, but knew what'd happened. It was incredible! To be able to feel the strength of not only the Cube, but of his monster as well. Dai looked to him, and nodded. Emfur nodded back, before raising the golden blade, and loosing a desperate cry. With all of his (and Dai's) strength, Emfur plunged the blade into the inky, muddled black-and-purple miasma below his feet. At first, it appeared nothing had happened. Then, a deep rumble was felt, as the first crack appeared in the Shadow Realm. Then, like shattering glass, white cracks spider webbed their way from below Dai's blade, spreading out in a large circle around Emfur, solely, before the miasma below them shattered, and he and Dai fell into the white.

As Emfur fell, there was an explosion of cards that shot out of his Flugschreiber: the Gravespire cards. As if compelled, the spirits of the monsters within his deck shot after him, each returning to their respective card within his Graveyard. Dai, too, turned into a card, which Emfur just barely grabbed in time, before white filled his vision, and the battleground of darkness he and Yami Tomoya once shared was no more.

- - - - -

When Emfur next awoke, he was just outside the opaque black-and-purple sphere that made up the Shadow Realm he and Yami Tomoya had dueled within. It couldn't have been long afterward, as Emfur could feel he was alone (ignoring the guard that was still propped up by the elevator). However, Emfur had no time to investigate to truly see if he was alone. He had to escape. However, going down the elevator was a no-go, and escaping through the broken windows meant certain death. Sprinting to the broken windows, Emfur had to fight the wind that tugged at him, urging him to jump. He didn't run here to try and leap. No matter how painful, he'd escape the only way possible: climb. After returning Warrior Dai Grepher to the top of his deck, Emfur commanded his Flugschreiber to shut down, which returned it to its normal, deck box form. After securing that between his teeth, Emfur swung out, grasping a glass-free portion of the open window, and using it to prevent himself from hurtling to his doom.

Next, he secured himself with both hands, and shimmied to the right. Wincing as shards of glass stuck to his palm, he eventually grabbed a vertical plane, and secured himself with both hands once more. Now was the painful part. There was no way around this-- each vertical plane had large shards of broken glass on it, so each was simply going to be painful. Shooting his hand up, he roared into the Black Box in his mouth, glad to have it as a gag, of sorts. Wet redness splattered into his cheek as he climbed, each slice from the glass as painful as the last. Thankfully, he could use them to rest his hands on, and thus use as rests when he needed to. As rain racked his back (since now a small downpour had rolled in), Emfur climbed desperately, needing to reach the roof as soon as possible. Thankfully, the climb was not long, and soon enough, Emfur's sliced, bloodied hands slapped down on a flat surface: the top of the window frames, just inches away from the rooftop.

Gasping, Emfur pulled himself up, first on top of the windows, and then onto the roof. Once there, Emfur stood, then collapsed to his knees, palms open to the sky to have the cold, grey rain cleanse them. His gasping was just barely drowned out by the rain splattering to the rooftop, like God himself was softly weeping. For a single, solitary second, Emfur was silent. Then, a cry echoed from Emfur as he curled forward, slamming his fists onto the roof, and burying his face between them. His body shook, both with his wails, and with the cold and pain. Just now, the burden of his failure had settled on his shoulders, and forced him down. He'd failed. Bad. He wasn't sure if that guard would even survive, or that he would, but that all paled in comparison to the guilt he felt inside for his failure as a hero.

He'd failed, and he wasn't sure that there was any coming back from that.

“It’s working, Sir.”

“Well done.” Toshiro followed his two bodyguards into the now working, if barely, elevator. The readout above the input flickered as he observed it, trying to determine which floor the chaos had occurred in. Fortunately, a loudspeaker quickly identified it for him.

“Attention to all Kaibacorp staff; please retreat to a floor below floor 42. We are unsure what is happening there, so please attempt to remain calm.”

Despite the tense situation, Toshiro smirked as he pressed the appropriate button.. And people said crime was hard; all you had to do was be observant and be at the right place at the right time.

As they moved upwards, faster than he had expected, Toshiro took a moment to examine the noises that were coming from the events that were transpiring on floor 42. It sounded like utter chaos, with muffled yells and crashing sounds, along with a weird underlying echoey noise. What on earth was that? It sounded a bit like wind, but this loud?

He was suddenly snapped out of his train of thought, the elevator jolting as it reach its destination. Standing back apprehensively, his two bodyguards ahead of him, Toshiro watched as the elevator doors jerked open...and revealed the events on the other side.

Toshiro could not repress a gasp as he saw the purply black sphere, engulfing most of the room. Opaque as it was, it was still an awe inspiring sight, and the crime lord knew that whatever had created this was not natural, regardless of the advancement in hologram technology that was now a reality. As he watched, it seemed to fade away, little by little, leaving a figure standing in the middle of it.

Yami Tomoya’s eyes widened with disbelief as Emfur called upon the power of the Quantum Cube, just as Kokabiel was about to strike the final blow onto the diminished Dei Greifer. He only had moments to prepare himself mentally and physically before a brilliant golden light engulfed his entire cone of vison, with glimpses of Kokabiel and Valhalla shattering into thousands of pieces. While blinded, his other senses remained fully alert, informing him of hints of what Emfur did with sounds that mimicked shattering glass, while his duel disk thumped as the Gravespire cards magically retreated back into the black duel disk. "Grrrrrrrrrhhhh!" He could only cry out while resisting the transcendental powers.

In time, Yami Tomoya felt himself kneeling in the middle of the Shadow Realm all alone. His head scanned left to right, before standing up and turning to face behind and confirming that nothing but the inky-black miasma existed. “Impossible! Nothing can overcome the Shadows!” He declared defiantly into the abyss, clawing at his head as if a terrible pressure lent onto the front half of his brain from stress. The miasma he stood upon began to pull onto him: They felt cheated, hungry for a new soul.

“No. You serve me, Gentle Darkness.” Yami Tomoya hissed, dramatically pulling out the Codex of Shadows with both hands to repel the darkness: In some way, a homage to how a priest would use a cross to repel a vampire as the realm hissed in terror, dispelling the orb that melded the real world with the Shadow Realm, letting him discover he was no longer alone: though it was not Emfur, but a pale man who looked like he belonged in a monochrome film.

“Hmph.” Puffed out from closed lips, drawing his Rare Hunter robe hood over his head, doing nothing to keep the glowing Eye of Wadjt on the forehead hidden. “I didn’t invite you to watch.”

page-divider.png

The roof of Kaibacorp was a disaster zone with the rubble from the summoning of Kokabiel: Air conditioning units turned to scrap and the stairwell buried by its own roof. Without warning, titanic drafts would bellow from above and light fading into shadow. If Emfur looked up, you’d be sure he would be surprised to see the outline of… a Blue-Eyes White Dragon?!

“Hey! You need a lift?” Mokuba shouted from the passenger canopy of ‘Dragon 1’, the BEWD-shaped VTOL fighter jet that Seto ostentatiously commissioned as a way to promote Kaibacorp’s new gaming image following the years of warmongering. The pressurized canopy lifted open to let Mokuba throw down a rope ladder to Emfur.

page-divider.png

“Bah, I almost had it.” Darkmyre moaned, sitting back down into his seat. “I ruined my robe for nothing.” Sol smirked with eyes closed, ready with the snarkyness that brothers give eachother. “I think it might be an improvement.” But despite the jokes, Sol’s internal monologue teamed with a mix of anxiety and curiosity, for in some way the situation felt familiar to him. Unable to place it, he could only watch on from the safety of the Ringworld.

"...Mokuba-ah-ah-AH-AH!" Emfur cried, falling onto his behind, and staring up in an odd mixture of horror, surprise, and awe. "Wh-What in the Erde?" Leaping to his feet, slowly the horror and surprise faded, leaving only awe behind (along with now forgotten feelings of guilt). "Of course I need a lift!" He shouted, indignantly, spreading his arms out dramatically, displaying what remained of the roof. "This thing's barely survived as of now: if I don't get off soon, I might be a goner!" Thankfully, Mokuba was quick on the draw. Dropping down a rope ladder for the indignant, yet awed Emfur, the young male dashed over, before stopping short, staring at his bloodied hands. Grimacing, he made sure that the Quantum Cube was secured between his pant's rim and his undergarments (his pockets were too shallow), and then grabbed onto the ladder.

"Grgh!" He grunted, wincing greatly at the pain, as fresh blood was squeezed from the wound and onto his pants. He'd have to burn this outfit, at this point. There was no saving it. Still, he forced himself to climb, staining the rope ladder a light red. When he finally reached the cock-pit, he tossed himself inside, collapsing on the only other free seat: the front driver's seat.

"Just so you know..." He looked over his shoulder at Mokuba, his face pale from the pained effort of climbing all this way, and from the height at which he just realized he was at. "I can't fly this thing. It has autopilot, right?"

“Hmph. I didn’t invite you to watch.”

Toshiro fought hard to keep his mouth from hanging open. There was certainly something...unnatural...going on here, but he could not for the life of him compromise what was now present before him with his previous understanding of the world. This couldn’t be real...could it?

“Well, I made that decision myself.” Toshiro licked his lips as he spoke, trying to decide what angle would be best for this conversation. “I apologize for any intrusion, but I have been pretty desperate to meet you. I mean, I am guessing you were behind the chaos that happened last night.”

No matter how hard he tried, Toshiro could not keep his eyes averted from the glowing symbol upon what he now recognized as that same figure’s forehead. Was that not the same marking upon most of the excavated artifacts? He was tempted to just shut the elevator’s doors and detach himself from this mysterious happening-

No. He had come too far to stop now.

Toshiro took a breath and continued. “In any case, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Judging from your recent actions, it seems you have quite the arsenal of skills. Something which I hope I can demonstrate I share with you.” A pause. “I wish to be of assistance.”

“I apologize for any intrusion, but I have been pretty desperate to meet you. I mean, I am guessing you were behind the chaos that happened last night.”

“In some ways I was.” Yami Tomoya was cautious around this particular human: The fact that he had found him of his own volition, not unshaken by the supernatural spectacle between himself and Emfur, was suspicious. Only a few had ever done so in the spirit’s past, often with the intent to do harm to him. “It was more of a long-deserved opportunity that had come for me at last.”

“In any case, I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Judging from your recent actions, it seems you have quite the arsenal of skills. Something which I hope I can demonstrate I share with you.” Yami Tomoya raised an eyebrow. What was this monochrome man getting at? “I wish to be of assistance.”

Yami Tomoya smiled, giving a sarcastic laugh at the proposition that required him to restrain himself, crossing his arms around his torso. “Oh, how naïve of you if you think I’m using the Rare Hunters to make a profit.” Yami Tomoya took the opportunity to put the Codex of Shadows in a resting position under his left arm. “This is part of something much bigger then yourself and whatever operation you’re running.”

Taking a few steps to the side, Yami Tomoya was now standing over the still-unconscious security officer that had unwittingly let him up into Seto’s office. His face turned to his inquisitive guest, putting on a sinister smile as the Codex of Shadows shimmered with black darkfire.

“You must be willing to make sacrifices.”

There was a gruesome crunch as Yami Tomoya twisted his wrist to cast the arcane telekinesis, followed by the officer giving one last gasp before ceasing all bodily functions: All while maintaining eye contact with Toshiro.

page-divider.png

Mokuba grimaced at the sight of Emfur’s bloodied hands from the rear cockpit. “Yeah, It’ll fly us back to the Kaiba Dome, where you can get yourself cleaned up!” Composing himself, Mokuba punched instructions into the on-board computer system. The VTOL engines roared up as it gained altitude, before being deafened out by the furore of the main turbojet at the back, banking around and into the air. Mokuba lent back into the seat, turning his head around to watch the damaged KaibaCorp HQ shrink away in the distance.

“Boy, Seto is going to kill me when he wakes up.”

“Oh, how naïve of you if you think I’m using the Rare Hunters to make a profit.” Naive? Toshiro managed to keep his exterior mostly calm, but a keen observer would’ve noted the slightly tightening of the tendons in his neck. This man was having difficulty concealing his anger. While Toshiro still knew that this person had strengths he could not fully comprehend yet, it was difficult to let the jab pass. But losing his temper this early would break any chance he had of a partnership.

The following statement surprised the crime lord, however. “This is part of something much bigger than yourself and whatever operation you’re running.” What did he mean by that? Well, the meaning of the statement itself was pretty clear, but bigger? What could he mean? Some sort of heist beyond his dreams, or something connected to the seemingly supernatural events going on?

While he was pondering this, the figure standing ahead of Toshiro moved forward towards a guard, then turned back, a creepy smile forming on his face. The monochromatic visitor could then only watch as an unconscious guard on the ground had his neck snapped by the Yami Tomoya, without contact or apparent effort. Of course, while Toshiro was not repulsed in any way, having done his own share of killings, this one seemed more unnecessary that anything he had done himself, and it did nothing to level his ever rising fear. About as much as the simultaneous statement did.

“You must be willing to make sacrifices.”

Toshiro took a deep breath, and stepped forward, the two figures in front of him doing the same. While they were paid to be intimidating, they were nothing compared the the robed person ahead.

“It is clear that your knowledge in this…” Toshiro searched for the word. “...area greatly surpasses mine. I must then offer my services.” The words sped up, accompanying a slight burst of pride and confidence. “To have undertaken this venture, you must’ve had resources, but pardon me if it doesn’t look like it has gone according to plan.” He forced a tight smile. “I could provide something to help.”

“To have undertaken this venture, you must’ve had resources, but pardon me if it doesn’t look like it has gone according to plan.” Yami Tomoya frowned at the jab, still seething at how the lowly mortal escaped with the cube. The Eye of Wadjt on his forehead shimmered brightly as the anger within seethed. “I could provide something to help.”

“Hmm. And what would that be then?” He looked up to the hole in the ceiling, feeling the light patter of rain following though and onto his right hand. “I surely don’t need a bunch of brutes like the pair you have around you right now. Panik’s ragtag group of Rare Hunters will make excellent ‘cannon fodder’, or whatever that exact term is.” Yami Tomoya turned back, stepping past Toshiro and his men to the elevator that they had bypassed the lockdown upon, raising an eyebrow to query the last thing he had said. "What is a cannon anyway? You mortals invented the strangest contraptions while I was contained."

“Nevermind that. My work here at KaibaCorp is done, regardless of that… Anomaly. And if you are truly willing to serve, you will evacuate us all out with no attention, from what I assume will be masses of the public, media outlets and the emergency services.” Asking seemingly nicely, he tapped the ground floor button, propping the doors from closing with his hand as a gesture for Toshiro to follow him inside.

“Seems like a fair start to your service.”

“Seems like a fair start to your service.”

Toshiro nodded but said nothing. Confidence was returning as this situation had gone, while not exactly better than expected, much better than it could’ve been. Or, at least, much better than what he had expected upon entering the lift shaft.

As the tight metal box moved slowly earthwards, Toshiro felt a twinge of doubt. Was this really a wise decision? He had little to no idea of what he was now involved in, and it was obvious that he was out of his league in some ways. Quashing this squirm was easy, however. The other figure knew that he was resourceful, and useful in his own ways. And besides, the best way to power was combined strength.

There was a loud ding as the elevator reached the basement. Of course, the ground floor would’ve been the faster way out, but too many people were going to and from that door. Nobody would be in the basement at this time, considering the normal operations done in there had been rescheduled by some...outside interference, giving the 4 Rare Hunters the perfect opportunity to escape. All they had to do was just follow the hallway to the emergency exit some way down the street, next to the car park. Simple, yet functional.

As Toshiro stepped out, a whirring sound was observed from just outside of the elevator door. He seemingly ignored it and continued forward, adding as he did so, “Don’t worry about the cameras. I introduced a slight bug in the system which prevents saving footage. Easy to iron out, but it will take them a while to notice.”

"Don’t worry about the cameras. I introduced a slight bug in the system which prevents saving footage. Easy to iron out, but it will take them a while to notice.”

Yami Tomoya thought for a second that his new ally had literately infested the security system with creepy-crawlies, raising an eyebrow at the idea of scorpions stinging the digital eyes out of the small boxes. But then he thought deeper, allowing the subconscious of his host to educate him. It was one of many problems that a 5000-year old spirit will have when possessing a person: It takes time to adapt to the inconceivable cultural and technological changes by melding oneself into the host’s mind.

The basement hallways was filled with cold, stale air that formed pockets as they advanced towards the car park exit: Yami Tomoya’s cloak deflecting such cold patches away, while flapping the tails of the attached cape. Silently he reached into his pocket, extracting his mobile phone: It was a small, rounded glass and metal rectangle, with a single physical button on the front plate. Reaching into Tomoya’s mind, the dominating spirit extracted the knowledge of how such a device is operated and implemented a call, using a scrap of paper that had been scrawled down for him. Putting the device to his ear, it began to ring. “It’s me. Did you get everything?”

Tilda was on the other end, in an empty park not too far from the chaos at KaibaCorp. She had disrobed herself to not attract suspicion; now adorned in her ‘normal’ gothic attire, while also carrying the silver briefcase full of blank cards. “Yes, but what in the hell happened?! The whole place rumbled, and I see a massive great chunk of the top floors turned to smoke and ash.”

Yami Tomoya did not have the time or the ability to care about Tilda’s qualms, being sharp with the orders across the line. “It doesn’t matter for now. Head back to the Foundry. I’ll be back, with a new friend.”

“New friend? Dosen’t matter?! What the fu—“ Yami Tomoya cut the call with a single tap of his thumb. Depositing the device and scrap paper back into his pocket, his head turned to the side paralell to Toshiro, continuing the walk to the exit.

“I assume you have a car parked nearby. I don’t fancy walking across half of Domino City as a wanted individual.”

page-divider.png

Mokuba would tilt his head away from Dragon 1’s computer to look into the front cockpit from the side. For a brief second, his mind wondered away at the prospect of seeing his brother there in that very seat, remembering the exaltation of them both blasting away from the Duel Tower in the nick of time. But then it faded away, replacing the image of a smiling Seto with the wounded Emfur. Holding it together, Mokuba remember about the stuff that his brother insisted that the jet was equipped with.

“Emfur, I think there is a small medical kit on the side there.” Mokuba’s headset buzzed into life, receiving communication from air traffic control. “This is KaibaLand control, Dragon 1. You have been granted priority landing clearance at Dome landing platform. Begin your descent to 2000 feet immediately.”

“Copy ground control. ETA for landing is 2 minutes.”

Emfur forced his eye open, and he stared bleary eyed up into the grey clouds that peppered the Blue-Eyes White Dragon he flew within with rain. There was a steady thump of pain emanating from his palms that reassured him that, as unfortunate as it was, that what had happened in Seto Kaiba's office was not, in fact, a dream. Sighing, he reclined a slight bit more into the cockpit seat of Dragon 1, closing his eyes and letting the smoothness of the ride within the odd shaped jet sooth him. A lot of events played through his mind as he and Mokuba flew, a lot. So many, in fact, that he once again was sucked into the land of dreams, and out of the land of the conscious.

First, he was a child, running through his mansion's many meadows, natural grasses growing nigh as tall as himself as he played within; Dextrio standing off some ways as a sentinel for the young master's safety. Yet no serious air surrounded him. Instead, an air of grandfatherly care warmed the chilled air around the butler, as he stared on at the young master with a small, albeit loving smile. He watched from that hill under the apple tree with great care, as his grandson danced and played in the tall grasses, oblivious to the serious world around him.

The next scene was not so pleasant. Darkness surrounded a sullen young boy, as he stared down into a deep recess, brown and black with the colours of loss. A crack of light across the sky ripped the fat steel clouds above open, releasing a torrent of tears upon the sullen ground below. The young boy's mother collapsed upon his shoulder, her face obscure with a black veil, silver tears running down her face, as her mascara smeared, and her full lips twisted into a wretched shape. Again, atop a hill, Dextrio watched, the air about him no longer loving, but shocked, cold, and lonely. His eyes were low, and his form shook, but still his eyes were on the young master. Even through the crashing rain, his eyes never strayed, as of that day, he no longer needed light to see his master.

Then, he was tearing through the streets, a woman's bag in his hands, his heart racing and his eyes shot. The scene before him was a swirling haze of confusion and adrenaline, and he rounded a corner to find his way blocked. Growling, he spun around, only to find piercing white light stabbing through the haze of his drunken state, causing him to roar with indignation. Black boxes were lifted and aimed at his head, before sharp cracks rung out from behind. The lights fell into the haze, and the black boxes shattered against the ground. Again, from that hill Dextrio watched, the air about him cool, calm, and distant, in his hands his own black box, though smoke did rise from it.

And then that day. Today. Standing against the pallet of murky blacks and bubbling purples was a familiar figure. Though now he was distorted, rising up into the sky like a obelisk, with eyes whiter than the sun, and a laugh so deep it shook the world to its core. Slowly, the giant reached forth, its black, smoky hands lowering to crush him in its grasp.

Then once again light. Emfur's eyes snapped open as Dragon 1 touched down, the soft rumble of the jet's landing wheels jerking the youth awake. Yawning widely, Emfur stretched his arms to the sky, a satisfying pop coming from his shoulder. After wiping the tiredness from his eyes, Emfur hopped out of the jet, and stared ahead at the Kaiba Dome. And from a hill not too far away, the butler watched his young master with low eyes, an air of cool annoyance swirling about him in the midday's rain.

“I assume you have a car parked nearby. I don’t fancy walking across half of Domino City as a wanted individual.”

“Well of course.” Toshiro raised a smooth eyebrow. “Our vehicle is parked right outside the exit of the place, as I did anticipate a getaway.”

The figures reached the main door into the car park, the wailing of sirens from above becoming slightly less muffled as they entered the semi-open area. However, instead of continuing towards the many parked vehicles, Toshiro and his bodyguards took a left, heading to a secluded concrete staircase, and closer to the chaotic sounds caused by the previous incident.

Climbing upwards, Toshiro called back to Yami Tomoya, “Listen, while this exit may be shielded in the most part by my limousine, it may be best to hide yourself a little. We have no idea who may be outside the building at this point, and better safe than sorry.”

While this was probably unnecessary, the last part of his statement might be more true than he had previously thought. Better safe than sorry in any account, no matter what. It was imperative that nothing spoiled their operations this early on.

Their operations. Toshiro chuckled softly at how easily he used the phrase, if only inside his own head. They had barely been acquainted for 10 minutes and already he was thinking ahead, planning for the future. A case of counting his chickens before they hatched? Maybe. Probably. But it had gotten him this far; no reason to abandon it now.

Reaching the top, Toshiro’s companions quickened their pace slightly, one stepping around the vehicles parked ahead, and the other reaching for a door closer the end of it to open it. When he caught up, Toshiro twitched in the direction of the interior of the vehicle, before turning back.

“After you.”

“After You.”

Yami Tomoya took the invitation with a simple nod of the head, adjusting his cape so it wrapped around him like a cloak, preventing any observers from any identifying traits. Shuffling in, Yami Tomoya found himself sliding across a plush leather interior to the back-right seat, before drawing across to the safety belt. The haste in which he tugged the belt kept jamming up, until he coaxed it to gently extend and clip into the latch to the left side.

Expecting Toshiro to enter just the same in seconds, he reached forward to the gap between the front seats, where one of Toshiro’s bodyguards was the driver.

“We’re going to the Derelict Steelworks in the dockyards.”

Falling back into his seat, Yami Tomoya took the Codex of Shadows from under his arm and into his lap: the pages falling bare open in around the middle. The artistry within was pristine, with the hieroglyphs and artworks as fresh and colourful as the day they were scribed 5000 years ago. Two particular pages that where open had a rather graphic depiction of some kind of ritual, involving a beast-headed man with curved snout and long rectangular ears, throwing be human flesh and bone into a vast crucible of molten gold. The pictogram on the following page showed that same gold being poured into a stone dolmen, carved into a shape of a woman with hollow moulds.

page-divider.png

Mokuba felt relieved as Dragon 1 clamped itself into the landing pad of the Kaiba Dome. Flipping two large power switches, the jet powered down and released the canopies, allowing himself and Emfur to exit the vessel, clanking onto the raised platform. Engineers shot out from the perimeter in their jumpsuits, ready to refuel and protect the sensitive instruments from dust and the rain, which was still pouring in as the roof closed up behind them.

Stretching his arms behind his back, Mokuba did not notice a Kaibacorp officer jogging up the steps to convey a message. “Mr. Kaiba sir, Maximillion Pegasus and a Mr. Tenma are waiting in the green room, insistent on seeing you urgently.” Mokuba sighed, annoyed that he did not even get a chance to sit down before someone needed attention: Especially a man who once kidnapped Mokuba and imprisoned his and Seto’s soul.

“Very well. You can now take Emfur to the Medical Room and get his hands bandaged up.”

“We’re going to the Derelict Steelworks in the dockyards.”

This statement was followed by another slight twitch from Toshiro as he stepped into the car. This would take some getting used to, but it would probably be a price worth paying for any future between them. And, in any case, he had been about to ask the other passenger where they should be headed, so no harm done.

Speaking of Tomoya, Toshiro could not keep his wandering eyes away from him, or, at least the book that now lay open in front of him. It definitely had a strange quality to it, something he couldn’t quite place. The car rumbled to and fro as it drove on, causing the pages of the Codex to bounce, but Toshiro could swear that each worn piece of parchment had a life of its own, moving a little more than one would expect.

The images drawn upon it did nothing to dissipate these thoughts, with imagery which may have been disturbing to some of the construction of...something? Toshiro was careful not to look to closely, but even if he had, the angle and the movement would’ve made it hard to discern.

Tearing his eyes away from the ancient designs, he decided to attempt conversation with his guest. Perhaps some knowledge could be gained from an exchange, and if not, perhaps some trust would be built up anyway.

“So,” he began, fixing his gaze on the occupant of the chair opposite him, “May I inquire as to why you were there in Kaibacorp tower? It clearly wasn’t for the obtaining of cards, or at least, not only for that reason.”

Yami Tomoya may have had his physical eyes on the Codex, but the spirit within could ‘feel’ the gaze of Toshiro leaning towards the open pages. There was no concern however in his violent mind, for he knew the ancient hieroglyphs where a dead language in this day and age; replaced with the alien, angular scribbles that went from left to right. The pictograms may have given little context, but considering he murdered a man in front of him, and not receive any reaction apart from a twitch, Yami Tomoya could be confident in him not getting squeamish on the work ahead.

“So,” Yami Tomoya raised and rotated his lowered head to face Toshiro: A calm, neutral expression fresh on his face. “May I inquire as to why you were there in Kaibacorp tower? It clearly wasn’t for the obtaining of cards, or at least, not only for that reason.” He knew about the cards? Yami Tomoya was a little surprised by that, though he shouldn’t have been thinking about how he had infiltrated the security system. Knocking him down a peg was not the right move, deciding to willingly relinquish a part of his own hand to secure some trust.

“Inquisitive thing, aren’t you? Very well, if you must know.” Yami Tomoya’s hand slipped under the spine of the codex, allowing for a single motion to clasp the tome shut. “I was distracting the security while those brutes of mine infiltrated the vaults beneath for some card blanks. This mortal had security clearance in the same vault, for some ancient trinkets.”

“But it seems that Mr. Kaiba was in the possession of an anomaly. Something which is now in the hands of some boy." Yami Tomoya gave a sigh, keeping himself composed. “It won’t matter for now however. Pursuing one rouge string at this stage will only unravel the entire tapestry I am weaving.”

A metaphorical lightbulb busted into life in his mind: which was odd, considering he probably only had a faint clue of what such a thing was. “You seem intelligent. If you could get around their security, do you think you can dig up this anomaly in their records? It was a small, palm-sized gold cube. Loads of lines all over it.” he asked kindly.

“Inquisitive thing, aren’t you? Very well, if you must know, I was distracting the security while those brutes of mine infiltrated the vaults beneath for some card blanks. This mortal had security clearance in the same vault, for some ancient trinkets.”

Toshiro nodded. It made sense, as cards were not the only valuable items people could obtain these days, something everyone except for himself and now his...guest...seemed to forget.

“But it seems that Mr. Kaiba was in the possession of an anomaly. Something which is now in the hands of some boy.”

He noticed the sigh coming from Yami Tomoya, and realized this was the first sign of any emotion other than annoyance he had observed from him. However, he barely noticed this over the word used: anomaly. What could he mean by that?

“It won’t matter for now however. Pursuing one rouge string at this stage will only unravel the entire tapestry I am weaving.”

Again, more evidence of the size of this scheme, although Toshiro did know that was not exactly the right term for it. He was still amazed at how much power and knowledge the figure before him radiated, not to mention an odd feeling he could not place, that seemed more negative than positive. In any case, Toshiro was not regretting his decision. However, he was suddenly called out of his thoughts by a more friendly tone from the figure in front of him.

“You seem intelligent. If you could get around their security, do you think you can dig up this anomaly in their records? It was a small, palm-sized gold cube. Loads of lines all over it.”

It wasn’t so much the request that surprised Toshiro, but more so Yami Tomoya’s face combined with the previously mentioned tone. He had not imagined this being to have been capable of an emotion like that. The words hadn’t been different, but the way they had been said had almost been, well, nice.

Toshiro rubbed his forehead with his free hand. His focus was wandering today, and had been ever since these events had started. He need to focus on the matters at hand, and respond in turn. As for the anomaly, while Toshiro had seen quite a few gold object at the display the previous night, a gold cube had not been one of them. Of course, it wouldn’t be, as the rare hunters had taken everything, and besides Yami Tomoya had just mentioned it had been in the KaibaCorp tower, so what was Toshiro doing thinking back to the previous assault.

He increased the pressure on his fingertips, managing to completely block out his errant thoughts. While his drifting may have only lasted a second, it was an unforgivable lapse. He needed to keep his mind directed and focused.

“I haven’t seen it, but I know someone who has all data extracted from KaibaCorp tower. I would call them now, but I don’t have a secure line at the moment.” He smiled apologetically. “Fortunately, I know where they are, and would be happy to go to meet them after you go wherever you have to go.” Toshiro, pausing, glanced out the window, noticing they were getting close to their destination, but mostly thinking about this next words. “Unless, of course, you wish to see it yourself.”

“I haven’t seen it, but I know someone who has all data extracted from KaibaCorp tower. I would call them now, but I don’t have a secure line at the moment.” The kind smile on Yami Tomoya turned back into a neutral frown at Toshiro’s excuse.  "Fortunately, I know where they are, and would be happy to go to meet them after you go wherever you have to go. Unless, of course, you wish to see it yourself.”

There was a brief pause between them, with the spirit twinging internally at the idea. But no, he couldn’t waste time to indulge. He had a duty to the task at hand.

“No. I will not distract myself yet.” He politely refused the invitation, turning around to face his own window, where the active cityscape had been replaced by a wilderness of concrete and steel, complimented by gloomy skies and the light pitter-patter of rain. Much of the industrial complex they drove though had become depilated with the recession a few years ago: Including the concrete cathedral that was the former Schroder Ironworks. The derelict building was a brutalist complex of concrete pillars, sheet metal walls and rusted stairwells that where scrawled around the cracks. The red and white stripes on the smoke stacks that towered above where blotted with years of ash, which had solidified in time from the passing seasons. The rusted gates drew open as they approached in the car, with two Rare Hunters emerging to investigate: armed with semi-automatic rifles.

Yami Tomoya simply did not wait, pulling the door latch, flinging the door open and treading onto the muddy track outside the perimeter. “Stand down.” Yami clearly commanded, slamming the door behind him. Bowing before their new leader, the guns in the hands where quickly slung back onto their robed backs, before retreating into the compound in sync with Yami Tomoya and the car. A little muddy patch besides a fire exit became the parking spot for the German saloon, which was partly sullied by watered down mud.

“Your brutes are going to have to stay in the car.” Yami Tomoya treaded carefully, trying to not slip on the soft mud before reaching the concrete pathing besides the barred door. The pair of hunters behind them approached after sealing the gates again, approaching the party with the intention to receive further orders. “I don’t want any trouble, so be nice to our guests’ protection.” The pair bowed in respect, turning away to one of the nearby site offices: with a conveniently placed view of the parking spot. The doors clunked open as Yami Tomoya pressed upon the safety bar with his free hand.

“Follow me. I don’t want you getting lost in here.”

“Follow me. I don’t want you getting lost in here.”

Toshiro nodded in response as he stepped out of the car. Brushing himself
off briefly, he turned back to the car, from which both of his bodyguards were about to leave.

“Remember what he said, stay back for now,” he called through the window, as the two inside looked perplexedly out at him, “I’ll be fine for now, and if I’m not, well, you won’t be held for the consequences.”

On that merry note, he turned around and headed towards the doors that had just been opened by Tomoya.

Glancing around as he stepped forward, Toshiro noticed that, while the complex gave off a general sense of disrepair, he could tell from the various positions and movements of the Rare Hunters around it that there certainly was a great degree of orginization here. Of course, what held most of his thoughts was the fact that he had somehow managed to miss this place in his routine sweeps, or at least, the people within. Perhaps they had only recently moved in, but even so, him not hearing about it was a bad thing. He needed to redo all of his security and observations measures.

Tearing his eyes away, he pressed his hands against the safety rail of the door now in front of him, and entered.

“Mr. Kaiba sir, Maximillion Pegasus and a Mr. Tenma are waiting in the green room, insistent on seeing you urgently.”

Emfur cocked an eyebrow, letting his glance slide over to Mokuba. His face was inquisitive, but he didn't pose the question that was on his mind: why were those two there already? Mokuba must've worked fast, to get those two here so quickly, assuming they hadn't been hiding out at the Kaiba Dome since what'd happened earlier.

"Yeah. I should probably get these two checked out." Emfur responded, his voice surprisingly dry for how wet he seemed to be. Once again, the Quantum Cube was gripped tightly in his left hand, the other hanging free. "If you see Dextrio, Mokuba, send him my way, alright?" Sighing, Emfur wrung his free hand, blood splattering against the wet landing pad and diluting by the time Emfur had left.

The inside of the Kaiba Dome was rather sleek compared to the backrooms of KaibaCorp Tower, but he assumed that since this area was a much more public place, that it would only make sense that would be case here. Very soon, a familiar red cross was seen on the door Emfur assumed to be the entrance to the Medical Room. After thanking the engineer, Emfur knocked twice, to let whomever was inside know he was there. He'd have opened the door himself, if it weren't for the fact that his hand was currently dripping with still-fresh blood. However, the face that answered the door was not someone he'd have expected.

"D-Dextrio?!" Emfur stepped back, shocked. His butler was the last person he'd have expected to be here.

"Indeed, sir. Now come inside. I'll administer first aid to those hands of yours, then--" Dextrio narrowed his low eyes. "--you'll explain to my why you were so rash as to think that climbing KaibaCorp tower was a smart idea."

With Toshiro behind him, Yami Tomoya began to delve into the steelworks. The first stages where though the concrete and brick corridors, which was broken up by empty, poorly lit rooms that where either filled with rotten office furniture and damp carpets, or storage crates filled with various illicit loot. The stench of rotting wood from the last office they passed though was a sour, revolting smell that forced himself to cover his nose up with his cloth until they got onto the stairwell.

Clunking up, their steps echoed as the well opened up onto the upper catwalks of the cavernous smelter floor. The path the catwalk took was a straight line, about thirty-five feet above the actual floor, where it turned a sharp right, to the platform above the main furnace pot where the Rare Hunters gathered: Including Tilda, who was leaning on one of the arms of PaniK’s former throne. The silvery case in her lap shimmered dimly in the poor, construction lighting rigs set up at the perimeter of the platform.

“Get off my seat. You’ll break it like that.” Yami Tomoya declared. The Rare Hunters he passed by would take steps back in his presence: Either in respect or fear. But he did not care for either, so long as they remained submissive. However, Toshiro’s presence did not attract the same humility once the master had retaken the throne, with them crowding around into a circle to cut off the only path off the platform: Apart from a vertical neck-breaking jump. “Settle down.” He declared, pulling the Millennium Rod from the duffle bag besides the throne, anchoring the sheathed tip on the end of the arm rest, and orb top between his palm and fingers. “This Court of Shades is in session.”

“Tilda, if you may?” Yami Tomoya relaxed as his de-facto lieutenant, who had straitened up her posture since, deposited the silver case onto the table and unlatched the locks at the top, allowing the lid to arise. The spirit could only smile as the case revealed its contents: Stacked sheets of cut, unprinted cards of the ultra and secret rare foil variety. Tilda had her eyes on Toshiro for the duration, scorning him with distrust. "Who the **** is this joker?" could be translated if such gazes where language.

“Good. Once prepared, these simple vessels shall poison this city’s denizens with their own darkness. In the meantime, the plan also requires two other elements: The monolith and the raw materials.”

page-divider.png

Mokuba would stomp though the door of the Kaiba Dome’s Green Room, walking into seeing Gekko and Pegasus, who was standing up with the assistance of his walking cane, bickering openly in the middle of the plush waiting area. “You threw me out of a window like I was a piece of trash, Gekko!” Pegasus bitterly spat at his adoptive son, picking out one of many rose thorns still embedded in his now disarrayed hair. Gekko, absent of his leather jacket, was clearly upset by the fighting, but stood his ground. “Father, there were armed men. Getting you out there was the best thing I could have done!”

“Oh, really? Let me show you what it is like then!” Pegasus tossed aside his walking stick, regaining his youthful vigour in the bout of anger. Mokuba just watched, face palming at the stupidity being performed before him. “AHEM!”

“-Oh.” Gekko paused in an awkward fashion, like if someone had hit the pause button on a movie. “Mokuba. Me and father where…” “I don’t give a damm about whatever it was: I don’t have the time for it.” The wood door behind Mokuba shuddered as it was slammed shut behind him. Pegasus payed little attention, giving a menacing death-stare to the short brat. “With all due respect, you’re not Kaiba-boy, so please let the grownups talk.”

“GROWN UP?!” That insult was the last straw for the stressed Mokuba, who charged forth into Pegasus. The pair threw themselves into the wall, with the elderly man pinned on it. “You are in no position to talk to me like that old man, after all you have done to me and my big brother!” Mokuba released one of his hands off Pegasus’ velvet jacket, throwing it back in preparation while Gekko did little other then watch.

“I should have done this back at Duelist Kingdom!” For anyone outside, that statement would have been followed with the sound of a loud thump.

Archived