Treatoad (910)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that you want to Summon (or at least open up the possibility of Summoning) Ultimaya in a Frog Deck; whether with Brilliant Fusion or Des Frog. But it's just not worth the effort or risk of bricking in a Frog Deck.

Can we stop shutting down ideas just because it bricks? That's such a logical fallacy. If the engine solves an issue present in the deck than it is worthwhile to add it in as you would lose if you can't answer a specific problem anyways. In this case, it gives you access to Crystal Wing which is a godsend in the Kozmo match-up.

You never ever discount a point by saying 'it bricks'.

I love the fact that if it tributes itself, it also recycles itself at the same time because why the hell not.

Btw, if there's a deck with Bahamut access, you can pop this there for a free negate.

This is a really cool idea. I think I will try this in Cloudians.

I'm a little bit annoyed that it doesn't require 2 Level 2 WATERs, as it would obviously be great in Nimbles then, but oh well.

This backed up by a bunch of Burgesstoma backrow is going to be incredibly annoying to play against. I love the card though.

I read this (not noticing that it could send itself) and thought that they were deliberately taking a s*** on Burgesstomas because you can't send Burgesstomas for this thing's cost (because they get banished when they leave the field). But then I noticed that it can send itself, and if you do, you go +2 just from your opponent activating an effect.

• -1 from sending Treatoad to Grave, -1 total
  • +1 from destroying your opponent's card, +0 total
  • +1 from setting your opponent's card to your side of the field, +1 total
  • +1 from the float effect, +2 total.

That's not even counting the fact that you stopped your opponent's effect which prevents them plussing from it.

Darn I love Burgesstomas, and this only reinforces that.

EDIT: These plusses make this card kinda nasty to try to bait. Also self removal as a cost allows for Skill Drain plays.

You kno what's adorable, regarding This card in Burgesstomas?

You could literally maindeck 3 Call and 3 Oasis, because This card is always on-hand to be Summoned/you'd then go and revive it several times- Activating your Calls and Oasises(w/e) would then go and revive more Burgesstomas, to potentially let you Summon more and more of This card/etc.

And each time This card sends itself, you'd recover something like Swap Frog, who is then going to mill more fodder for Ronin Toad/Summon eachother/etc. You'd make more Anomal plays/etc.

Honestly, it sounds promising.

Can we stop shutting down ideas just because it bricks? That's such a logical fallacy. If the engine solves an issue present in the deck than it is worthwhile to add it in as you would lose if you can't answer a specific problem anyways. In this case, it gives you access to Crystal Wing which is a godsend in the Kozmo match-up.

You never ever discount a point by saying 'it bricks'.

You're correct on this, but I think there's more to go into re: the addition of Ultimaya.

At least to me, what has me skeptical of this idea is more or less the concept of having a card there to do one thing. Gofu is useful for the deck for including synchro plays and potentially larger bosses in a deck that otherwise is stuck in R2 hell. Treatoad offers more in the way of bosses and, with Wetlands, can be upgraded from "annoying" to "nuisance" (It's a solid card; just not necessarily something you want by itself). But while Gofu is flexible and good for the deck, Des Frog isn't. You kind of need to finagle with some plays and work with resources to get it out, unless there's a broken interaction ala Transmodify w/ ABC's that I'm unaware of (and if there is please let me know; I'm by no means a Frog expert). Treatoad works better with cards to discard and/or tribute, and spreading yourself too thin to get Ultimaya into play can complicate matters. What makes me more skeptical is that unless you have something to set for Ultimaya to get another threat to protect himself, it's going to be easy for any deck to summon absolutely anything, smack Ultimaya in the face, and then do something about Treatoad. By then, resources may have been wasted a little.

So, I guess to sum it up, I'm not going to discount the play immediately based on this; because the idea of having Treatoad and Crystal Wing on the field is a very genuine threat; but what has me concerned and skeptical is not only the consistency of the play, but how situational it is, depending not only what you open, but if you're able to go into it immediately. Decks generally work better when your cards are as flexible with each other as possible, and Des Frog just doesn't send that vibe to me. You can run fewer copies, but that affects how often you're actually going to go into the play; and running more copies threatens the overall consistency of the deck.

Overall, the value of a play doesn't necessarily lie on just the consistency of it, OR the potency; it's the combination of the two that really makes something a threat. With Ultimaya in Frogs; the potency is there, but the consistency has me concerned. Consistency not only in how often it's going to happen, but what's needed to make it happen and if there are better plays that can be gone into instead.

You kno what's adorable, regarding This card in Burgesstomas?

You could literally maindeck 3 Call and 3 Oasis, because This card is always on-hand to be Summoned/you'd then go and revive it several times- Activating your Calls and Oasises(w/e) would then go and revive more Burgesstomas, to potentially let you Summon more and more of This card/etc.

And each time This card sends itself, you'd recover something like Swap Frog, who is then going to mill more fodder for Ronin Toad/Summon eachother/etc. You'd make more Anomal plays/etc.

Honestly, it sounds promising.

Agreed, except I wouldn't use Oasis because this thing has 0 DEF. Also, dead CotHs clogging you S/T Zones would be a big problem in a deck like Burgesstoma.

I wouldn't use Oasis because this thing has 0 DEF

Why would you care, though? They would be forced into running it over ahead of time/potentially waste time making a move/etc, because of how intimidating This card is.

Also, dead CotHs clogging you S/T Zones would be a big problem in a deck like Burgesstoma.

Then just play something like Magic Planter.

You will never run fewer copies of Des Frog because you plan on summoning it off IRS

I think this is pretty neat in Mermail, you have the old Angineer Bahamut Shark Play but instead of summoning Trite you can grab this card :^)

Really nice Legacy support. Didn't see Frog support coming, from all things.

I find interesting how Konami seems to be venturing with Rank2s with an ATK higher than 2000: Centaurea used to be the threshold, so to speak, then Crumble Logos was made, and now this. I like how its negation effect doesn't require Xyz Materials to detach so it can be used if you Summon it through Bahamut Shark.

Can someone clarify or confirm me if the first effect will also trigger during the opponent's Standby Phase? I'm not sure since it doesn't specify it is during your Standby Phase, just like DOG Fighter. And if it does, then it is quite cool, as it assists in making its second effect live during the opponent's turn.

Oh, and the artwork is kinda cute xD

Really nice Legacy support. Didn't see Frog support coming, from all things.

Konami should make these kinds of sets more often; sets peppered with good legacy support for many different older archetypes in addition to support for the newer ones.

This wasn't the first, but I hope they make this a much more regular thing.

Konami should make these kinds of sets more often; sets peppered with good legacy support for many different older archetypes in addition to support for the newer ones.

This wasn't the first, but I hope they make this a much more regular thing.

this is more Mermail and Burg support than for frogs.

You will never run fewer copies of Des Frog because you plan on summoning it off IRS

I think this is pretty neat in Mermail, you have the old Angineer Bahamut Shark Play but instead of summoning Trite you can grab this card :^)

Des Frog has 1900, you can't IRS it.

Was thinking on cute "Frog" targets one could tech in any deck with access to this, just to be silly and Summon it with this card's first effect, and remembered Poison Draw Frog... if only the Set effect of the second effect was an "if you do" instead of an "afterwards" (which I believe is akin to a "then" in PSCT terms) so the drawing effect didn't miss timing xD

one of my original 3 decks (frogs, plant princess, batterymen) is getting amazing support. it's already been said that this beauty is hard to bait, but what are your thoughts on Gachi gachi in combination with this? frogs have little to no trouble dropping 4 monsters to the field on a decent hand, so that would net you a 2600 omnegation card that steals whatever you negate, alongside a 2200 defense monster that protects itself just in case your opponent somehow breaks your field. and considering how easy it is to loop this baby, there's so many ways to make hard advantages off of it, drop one or two of them alongside a dupe frog or two and you have omnegation that can't be hit by any attacks, drop one or two of them alongside one or two gachi and you can have two 26-3K omnegation monsters backed by one or two 22-26k walls in one to two turns, that continue to generate advantage even when destroyed. not bad at all imo, it solves the low ATK problem frog decks suffer from, and if you run flip-flop frog (who is non-targeting removal) you could even have a field that sweeps up one or more monsters at a time monsters while preventing card responses.

it wasn't what i was expecting when i came home, but it's damn sure welcome. also, substitoad @ one in a future list maybe?

Void Imagination as an engine to summon tierra and send 3 of this to grave to plus for days in mermails?

not sure about that, if you run imagination, you also need to run multiple infernoids, including the two big bosses. in mermails. brick doesn't begin to describe how badly most of your hands will be, the two decks don't mix at all, infernoids want to max out grave, and drawing any of them will weaken your hand significantly in relation to mermails. if you want to just mill cards from extra, teching in a mega zaborg would be the better answer, assuming you run 2 or3 of all extra deck cards, zaborg would allow yu do hit your opponent's ED, while doing minimal damage to your deck's space and plays. it's similar to dream, even though it hurts you a bit more for dropping it, it's overall less clunky than trying to use dream in a deck that needs as much water as possible.not to mention infernoids are somewhat xenophobic, so i don't think you'd want to combine them with something so opposed to them. not to mention you wouldn't be able to max out on tierra's effects or power enough to justify using it.

actualy i thought of tossing in only three infrrnoids with 3 imagination, take brilliant fusion for an example.

tierra rarely ever gets three effs in pure infernoids so perhaps being a beater and able to mill 3 from ED was enough justification...uh, forget it, I guess thats just one of those ideas that look nice on paper but in reality it feels really forced and unsynergestic

actualy i thought of tossing in only three infrrnoids with 3 imagination, take brilliant fusion for an example.

tierra rarely ever gets three effs in pure infernoids so perhaps being a beater and able to mill 3 from ED was enough justification...uh, forget it, I guess thats just one of those ideas that look nice on paper but in reality it feels really forced and unsynergestic

yeah, unlike brilliant, imagination takes at least 3 monsters, and relies on your opponent having summoned something from the extra deck prior. brilliant requires only one real investment card to use, so yeah, if you really want to make plays like that in mermails, you may as well just tech zaborg in it.

Archived