YCM Member Brawl VII 9-F

Nathanael D. Striker

YCM Member Brawl VII 9-F  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Showcase God vs Monkey Commander vs Dog Lord for all the marbles

Can I just say I'm disappointed?

Like, not so much in the members here (okay, Rod a bit. He's a friend, but he still kinda earned his punishment), but the fact that... You don't have anyone you like more on the site than:

• Leader who is less and less present who has been around forever
  • A monkey/ex-meme weeaboo who has been around forever, but isn't as present as they once were
  • A dog/meme who has been around forever

Do you guys see the issue here?

You new guys need to step up. The YMB is nothing but a giant popularity contest... And the finals are people who have been here/similar before. IDK if Rai made it this far, but same scenario. I'd be shocked if no older member made it here, but 3/3 is just kinda... sad? Sad that the new crew doesn't seem to be making a name for itself? Maybe they made it far, idk, but they're not here.

Like, not so much in the members here (okay, Rod a bit. He's a friend, but he still kinda earned his punishment), but the fact that... You don't have anyone you like more on the site than:

• A monkey/ex-meme weeaboo who has been around forever, but isn't as present as they once were

You new guys need to step up. The YMB is nothing but a giant popularity contest... And the finals are people who have been here/similar before. IDK if Rai made it this far, but same scenario. I'd be shocked if no older member made it here, but 3/3 is just kinda... sad? Sad that the new crew doesn't seem to be making a name for itself? Maybe they made it far, idk, but they're not here.

Doesn't help when new people get sheet on a lot. And then they become inactive

Not sure why Dolphin or Kaiji never made it to the polling, but YCM tends to clean out the new guys, and the old people have too much of a following to over turn for anyone who survives the initial purge

It's like beating a senate incumbent. Do able, but saying you need to step up really isn't fair considering the other side's war chest

The fact that people like Armz didn't win speaks plenty about a slow movement forward anyway (srry armz, I love u)

CowCow was the youngest member out of the Final 8, though he has made a Finals appearance before. Out of the Final 8, only myself, Rinne, and Thar haven't made it to the Final group iirc. Looking back at the Group Stage, it was dominated by older members. CowCow, Nyx Avatar, Yui, Winter, and few others were the only newer members around. The majority of the 32 were older members. So yea, I agree with all of this.

@Winter: Armz dropped tbh.

CowCow was the youngest member out of the Final 8, though he has made a Finals appearance before. Out of the Final 8, only myself, Rinne, and Thar haven't made it to the Final group iirc. Looking back at the Group Stage, it was dominated by older members. CowCow, Nyx Avatar, Yui, Winter, and few others were the only newer members around. The majority of the 32 were older members. So yea, I agree with all of this.

I wouldn't consider myself new..."new" would be people who actually changed this site for the better like Dolphin and Kaiji ...like last yearish

I don't think it's fair to blame the "new" people for not stepping up, when it's realistically not possible to break through the popularity established by guys on this site form 2008

They've had 8 years to make a name, new guys have had 1-2..it's not the same and shouldn't be counted as so. It's a fun contest, Night is our overlord, and Dog Weebus are cool. Take it at face value and don't make this more than what it is

Doesn't help when new people get sheet on a lot. And then they become inactive

Not sure why Dolphin or Kaiji never made it to the polling, but YCM tends to clean out the new guys, and the old people have too much of a following to over turn for anyone who survives the initial purge

It's like beating a senate incumbent. Do able, but saying you need to step up really isn't fair considering the other side's war chest

i won the first one as a relative nobody (I was equivalent to, like... Spinda? Maybe a tiny bit more notable), beating rather notable people like Clair (not Claire) and Saturn Paladin. Dark, too.

It's entirely possible, and if cow is genuinely the "newest" member to make it to top 8... I am just kinda wot.

It's easy to make a name for yourself by devoting yourself to a project/club/etc. that makes a name for you. Hell, I hadn't even touched TCG when I won.

i won the first one as a relative nobody (I was equivalent to, like... Spinda? Maybe a tiny bit more notable), beating rather notable people like Clair (not Claire) and Saturn Paladin. Dark, too.

It's entirely possible, and if cow is genuinely the "newest" member to make it to top 8... I am just kinda wot.

It's easy to make a name for yourself by devoting yourself to a project/club/etc. that makes a name for you. Hell, I hadn't even touched TCG when I won.

Well,I honestly can't comment on your win Black, mostly cause I don't know those people (Clair Destroyer ??)

I'd say that TCG and General are the two most active areas currently? So Kaiji, Dolphin, Tom, Vla1ne as contenders?

But people like Vla1ne or Tom (granted not necessarily new) should have gone a lot further. General give you plenty of name recog, and those two atleast are seemingly well liked, yet nothing turned out of it.

Clubs have been dead for ages, Striker is making a slow revival of it...but YCM in general is on a decline cycle currently, it's hard to make a popular name for yourself even in the high activity high visibility sections

You can't expect people to beat the old gods especially during a YCM recession.

I can't really decide here mostly because all of them are people who are cool people I barely know.

I guess I'll vote the one I personally see the most often which is Rai but...idk it's a weird one.

As for the newer member thing. I think part of it is that the main newer members that stand out either

1.) Stand out only in one section and no where else.

2.) Are infamous for kinda bad attitudes and/or one thing that was a joke (Well yes kinda stuff)

So that could be the issue on that front.

Also I guess it doesn't help that the entire RP section for instance is in a void of its own. We have several new members who are really good but don't leave RP. And most RPers don't vote on these anyway.

I kinda wonder what section specific brawls would look like.

As for my win last year that was basically a fluke because I was somewhat new, active, and for the most part friendly. People were just hyped to see that. This year showed the fluke behind that a lot better imo. Older members who have consistently been liked are gonna be voted for. Because the older members remember their past and the newer members see them still being good in the present.

I already voted earlier, but yeah Night because I've known him on here for a very long time, despite his absences as of late. Then again, I probably owe part of my GFX knowledge and stuff to him (and maybe a few other vets in Showcase). 

I talk to Rai a fair bit of the time, usually in mod convos or if I need to ask him for Leaderboard logos and stuff. 

Admittedly, I don't know Rod that well to be honest. I was around during his "peak" period, but other than knowing who he is, I never really said stuff. He and Rai are cool though. 

As for the newer member thing. I think part of it is that the main newer members that stand out either

1.) Stand out only in one section and no where else.

2.) Are infamous for kinda bad attitudes and/or one thing that was a joke (Well yes kinda stuff)

So that could be the issue on that front.

Also I guess it doesn't help that the entire RP section for instance is in a void of its own. We have several new members who are really good but don't leave RP. And most RPers don't vote on these anyway.

I kinda wonder what section specific brawls would look like.

We have some newer members that turn out to be great later on, but yeah a lot of them tend to remain in one place and not venture out of certain areas. That, and a lot of the new members who even come here don't necessarily return later on (generally talking about the ones who actually made intro posts + at least bothered to show themselves); some of those might've turned out good, but we'll never know. 

As for section-specific brawls, I can't really say; though, I guess Showcase's one would be very similar to this match, except with the addition of whoever's left in terms of GFX vets [a lot of the members I knew from the past are gone now]. 

In the past month and a half I've been traveling quite a bit so yeah I haven't been around too much. Though in general, I have been preoccupied with sheet these days.

By all means don't vote for me buds, I'm just failing to understand why any of this sheet matters to be honest. 

Also don't demean the young raibread by calling him a dog meme, that sheet's a joke, the kid has done a dick ton for Showcase and this site in general over the years. I personally couldn't give two fucks about this sheet, but the kid should rightfully be acknowledged, for more than just some stupid sheet posted in misc. 

Rai gmv.

In the past month and a half I've been traveling quite a bit so yeah I haven't been around too much. Though in general, I have been preoccupied with sheet these days.

By all means don't vote for me buds, I'm just failing to understand why any of this sheet matters to be honest. 

Also don't demean the young raibread by calling him a dog meme, that sheet's a joke, the kid has done a dick ton for Showcase and this site in general over the years. I personally couldn't give two fucks about this sheet, but the kid should rightfully be acknowledged, for more than just some stupid sheet posted in misc. 

Rai gmv.

I was half-facetious about all three of you. And I know you're busy, it wasn't meant to be insulting, but to show it at its baasest level. You've all added a lot and done things in your own ways, but it just feels wrong that newer members aren't making a name for themselves, which was my issue. 

I'd say the fact that it IS stupid sheet in misc is part of the issue, if I'm honest.

Archived