Changing the Mod Team

Alright so here we go. Something I've thought was really needed for...a long time.

We need to fix this half-assed moderator thing we've got going on. Not just that some mods are inactive, but many of the mods seem to not really work together most of the time.

Regardless of personal feelings on specific mods, I think that it's been in a sort of limbo for too long.

We need to discuss getting rid of some mods, keeping/adding only those who actually will do things worthwhile and are willing to work with each other and actually contribute to discussions on the mod forum on a regular basis. And getting them to fully discuss things.

Part of what makes YCM struggle is that our leadership doesn't seem to be together most of the time, and those that actually do things stand out above the rest too often.

I want to hear from all the mods, every single mod, about this. I know some of you are busy, I get that, real life is more important, but I don't want to see "Well this mod isn't around because ____" without acknowledging the issue.

Also I'd like to perhaps see discussion on a new Super Mod. Seeing as they have the most say in things but there are many times they can't be around much.

Please keep this civil and try and leave personal vendettas at the door.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cow my friend you're asking for trouble. I totally agree with you, but this thread is not going to end well. Too many people here are unable to seperate their personal feelings from what should realistically be done to keep YCM running smoothly.

That being said, more mods (who will be active) are warranted, especially considering that the mod team seems to have possibly come to a consensus about being more stringent. More hands make the work go faster, so the expression i just made up goes. As well, having a coherent, solidified moderating TEAM (apologies for the emphasis. Being on mobile makes typing difficult) is something the site has been in need of for something like years now. Our staff consistently fails to act as a unit.

I've already noted on the other thread thread that Roxas being in modship in addition to the recent power boosts is problematic. For reasons explain there

Black has been able to help drive up activity in CC and is one of the most knowledgable people w/ regards to YGO/TCG

He might not want the position all that much, but w/ Koko  basically not playing YGO as much, he might be able to breath life into the TCG/OCG YGO section

Brightfire and Vla1ne should be the general mods. They are very active in the section. Liked by both sides of the isle. Fair, yet stern. And in general know what they're talking about. If anyone can bring peace to General, it's a duo between a center-left and a center-right 

I'm troubled by some of the things I hear about Aix, such as threatening people with 6 month bans, but that's not for me to decide upon

Finally, inb4 X might not agree with Y and the section will be painful. Being a mod should involve you being more mature than the rest of us. You don't have to love your co-worker or always agree with them. You just need to be able to get the job done and activity up

Edit: I feel bad calling Koko out there, she's done plenty for YCM, but it's kinda reality that she's not as YGO based as before, putting someone in addition to the TCG section shouldn't be taken as me bashing Koko, cause that' not my intention

Good on the cow for being the first to grow some funking balls.

Posting to see where this goes/add 2 cents later.

First to post a thead like this? Yes. First to call the mods out for not fully doing their jobs? No. Though I give props to CowCow for going all out with that premise.

I will give more thoughts when I see others speak up.

Agreed. I won't name names, but there are a couple of mods here I feel have been actively deterring from being productive to YCM as a whole.

See that's not helpful mate. If you're not willing to say names, we're just throwing darts in the dark and nothing good can come out of it. Speak now or hold your peace. It's not like they're gonna start liking you any more cause you turned a blind eye

See that's not helpful mate. If you're not willing to say names, we're just throwing darts in the dark and nothing good can come out of it. Speak now or hold your peace. It's not like they're gonna start liking you any more cause you turned a blind eye

All I said was I agreed. I never said I wanted to be helpful as I have the highest skepticism towards this topic accomplishing anything. However, I do wish to make my acknowledgement and agreement of the problem known for supporting and numbers purposes.

Something similar got Striker ousted. Something similar brought Sakura into question. If enough people voice their grievances, something will happen

Hell didn't we wake LZ last time during the Sakura riots

Sakura's a fine mod tho, and I never particularly had a problem with Striker as a moderator. Then again I was never there for the controversy.

It makes me wish Mihail was still here. When he brought the YCM elections in, it was the biggest thing at the time. The idea that the userbase was going to decide their own mods was out of this world. Obviously that didn't pan out but whatever.

Even if this thread gained traction, the mods would still decide who becomes a mod. It would all remain behind closed doors and we'd be taking a gamble, again, on whether they were good or not. It never changes.

Sakura's a fine mod tho, and I never particularly had a problem with Striker as a moderator. Then again I was never there for the controversy.

It makes me wish Mihail was still here. When he brought the YCM elections in, it was the biggest thing at the time. The idea that the userbase was going to decide their own mods was out of this world. Obviously that didn't pan out but whatever.

Even if this thread gained traction, the mods would still decide who becomes a mod. It would all remain behind closed doors and we'd be taking a gamble, again, on whether they were good or not. It never changes.

Sakura is great, the point was other people had problems with him, and they were able to bring attention to the matter. I'm saying we can do the same too. If there is a case, then there will be a change. Doing nothing will lead to nothing

FUN FACT

Koko and I were elected in, via an election hosted by Icyblue/JoshIcy. And I lost my position due to a spat with Pika + Admin Powers, not due to being unfit. People still say Kook and I had CC at its best, thoguh we never finished refining it.

However, I can say, for a fact, Alfred/Mihails was a terrible addition. He genuinely did 0 work for 6+ months, despite claiming otherwise, and he was just coming into the mod forum to play devil's advocate.

Sakura is great, the point was other people had problems with him, and they were able to bring attention to the matter. I'm saying we can do the same too. If there is a case, then there will be a change. Doing nothing will lead to nothing

The only problem I see with the mods is there a couple who are borderline SJW's. I don't mind that ideology in normal users, but, as Reddit is a prime example, SJW mods are always a problem. Right now freedom of speech is under attack here, and some mods are very guilty of perpetuating this with lackadaisical warnings based on subjective sensitivities to subject. This bias is infecting this site heavily.

I've already noted on the other thread thread that Roxas being in modship in addition to the recent power boosts is problematic. For reasons explain there

Black has been able to help drive up activity in CC and is one of the most knowledgable people w/ regards to YGO/TCG

He might not want the position all that much, but w/ Koko  basically not playing YGO as much, he might be able to breath life into the TCG/OCG YGO section

Brightfire and Vla1ne should be the general mods. They are very active in the section. Liked by both sides of the isle. Fair, yet stern. And in general know what they're talking about. If anyone can bring peace to General, it's a duo between a center-left and a center-right 

I'm troubled by some of the things I hear about Aix, such as threatening people with 6 month bans, but that's not for me to decide upon

Finally, inb4 X might not agree with Y and the section will be painful. Being a mod should involve you being more mature than the rest of us. You don't have to love your co-worker or always agree with them. You just need to be able to get the job done and activity up

Edit: I feel bad calling Koko out there, she's done plenty for YCM, but it's kinda reality that she's not as YGO based as before, putting someone in addition to the TCG section shouldn't be taken as me bashing Koko, cause that' not my intention

Let me get down to brass tacks with you then. Point by point.

Roxas does a decent job as the moderator of his section. Knowing him on a more personal level he's fair and reasonable. His actions are the direct result of your own. You routinely cause trouble and are actively provocative, and any actions the mod team has taken with you, however draconian they may or may not be, are a direct result of that.

These rule changes are not an increase in power for the moderating team. They've always been able to do this and none of the new rules honestly change very much about YCM's stated goals or the protocols for enforcing the rules. Members such as yourself, as well as the general attitude of the site, have simply forced them to consider adopting a more stringent policy regarding rule enforcement (which should have been done awhile ago by the by).

Black knows his s***, but he doesn't want the position and he can't conduct himself civilly. CC and TCG are very hard sections to find staff for,a s the position requires a level enough head to be a staff member as well as intimate knowledge of game design.

As an active RP member and someone who interacts with Aix daily, no, that's completely unfounded. He's one of our better staffers in all honesty. most of his contributions are just behind the scenes and not visible to us plebs.

EDIT: I'm not proofreading any of my posts today. Apologies for clunky language and syntax errors.

Black knows his sheet, but he doesn't want the position and he can't conduct himself civilly. CC and TCG are very hard sections to find staff for,a s the position requires a level enough head to be a staff member as well as intimate knowledge of game design.

uwot

Things have changed a lot.

Firstly, I do want the position. I made this clear before Gadjiltron got it, not knowing he was about to be promoted. I gracefully bowed out upon learning such, but I made it clear that the desire was still there, if they needed another member.

I want CC because I feel I can help it, where I don't feel that for TCG.

As for levelheaded... I'm levelheaded most of the time now, unless someone goes out of their way to question my character (cough) with no basis (uncough). It's not 2 years ago anymore. =x

FUN FACT

Koko and I were elected in, via an election hosted by Icyblue/JoshIcy. And I lost my position due to a spat with Pika + Admin Powers, not due to being unfit. People still say Kook and I had CC at its best, thoguh we never finished refining it.

However, I can say, for a fact, Alfred/Mihails was a terrible addition. He genuinely did 0 work for 6+ months, despite claiming otherwise, and he was just coming into the mod forum to play devil's advocate.

That was what made him so excellent. He was completely unbiased, he shoved out emotion in favor of hard hitting facts and evidence while also giving unpopular opinions their due. When he was mod, freedom of speech in YCM actually MEANT something. Nobody was afraid to speak their mind then. He did a lot of work, especially when every single mod turned against him, and made YCM experience a second peak after the drop with the server change. He was one of the best mods we ever had, on par with Crab Helmet, Legend Zero, and MarbleZone.

Also, Pika was a bad mod imho, she had an attitude problem that severely affected her work ethic.

uwot

Things have changed a lot.

Firstly, I do want the position. I made this clear before Gadjiltron got it, not knowing he was about to be promoted. I gracefully bowed out upon learning such, but I made it clear that the desire was still there, if they needed another member.

I want CC because I feel I can help it, where I don't feel that for TCG.

As for levelheaded... I'm levelheaded most of the time now, unless someone goes out of their way to question my character (cough) with no basis (uncough). It's not 2 years ago anymore. =x

You and i don't talk much (which why don't we?) and I don't watch YCM like a hawk, so apologies for the mistake there.

That said, you're not a very good communicator, and not personally someone i'd vote onto the staff. Just Zai's two cents.

That was what made him so excellent. He was completely unbiased, he shoved out emotion in favor of hard hitting facts and evidence while also giving unpopular opinions their due. When he was mod, freedom of speech in YCM actually MEANT something. Nobody was afraid to speak their mind then. He did a lot of work, especially when every single mod turned against him, and made YCM experience a second peak after the drop with the server change. He was one of the best mods we ever had, on par with Crab Helmet, Legend Zero, and MarbleZone.

Also, Pika was a bad mod imho, she had an attitude problem that severely affected her work ethic.

It was beyond that, trust me. His drama was the only thing between Pika and her stirring up sheet on purpose, but he was noooot a good mod, and he never did anything. I checked reports he claimed to do for like 6 months back (queue holds completed reports) and he did NONE of them. At all. And had no prescence in CC, his moderator station.

The idea of his role (which was what Icy intended) was good, but the actual execution was nooooooot.

psst most people that worked with her think she was a terrible team member, just happened to do good for the site as "admin"

You and i don't talk much (which why don't we?) and I don't watch YCM like a hawk, so apologies for the mistake there.

That said, you're not a very good communicator, and not personally someone i'd vote onto the staff. Just Zai's two cents.

Because I'm a shyfuck who talks to basically no one but his GFs, Kook, sometiems Marco, and sometimes Creator (on skype/etc.) ;_;

I've gotten a lot better at it in the past year and some. I'm not saying drop what you're doing and advocate for me, but things HAVE changed.

My only argument for me getting a position is that I have ideas to change CC, which, again, I pitched. I was too late in pitching them, sadly, but the ideas are there. I'm not pressing the issue because I'd like to think that, should the time come, I would be a real consideration.

Agreed. I won't name names, but there are a couple of mods here I feel have been actively deterring from being productive to YCM as a whole.

If you wanna shoot me a PM expressing concerns on who these people are, I'd be glad to maybe start making a list so that I can bring forth people's complaints because honestly it's about time people began speaking out.

Mod team has needed reform for a long time tbh.

Let me get down to brass tacks with you then. Point by point.

Roxas does a decent job as the moderator of his section. Knowing him on a more personal level he's fair and reasonable. His actions are the direct result of your own. You routinely cause trouble and are actively provocative, and any actions the mod team has taken with you, however draconian they may or may not be, are a direct result of that.

These rule changes are not an increase in power for the moderating team. They've always been able to do this and none of the new rules honestly change very much about YCM's stated goals or the protocols for enforcing the rules. Members such as yourself, as well as the general attitude of the site, have simply forced them to consider adopting a more stringent policy regarding rule enforcement (which should have been done awhile ago by the by).

Black knows his s***, but he doesn't want the position and he can't conduct himself civilly. CC and TCG are very hard sections to find staff for,a s the position requires a level enough head to be a staff member as well as intimate knowledge of game design.

As an active RP member and someone who interacts with Aix daily, no, that's completely unfounded. He's one of our better staffers in all honesty. most of his contributions are just behind the scenes and not visible to us plebs.

EDIT: I'm not proofreading any of my posts today. Apologies for clunky language and syntax errors.

There is a fine difference between harsh => How Koko, Rai, and Nai deal with me

And randomly handing out punishments just to make me cross the 10 mark and spend another week banned. For the record. I'm not sure if you even looked at the other thread where I detailed exactly what Roxas tried to bushwack me for, but the fine line between harsh and bullshit was crossed.

As for Roxas going all KGB and just banning me for a week w/o any WP. Jord and I had a spat, Koko put an end to it. I wasn't even talking to Jord when the ban struck, I was explaining my stance to Roxas. And that somehow merited a week ban. Why have rules if you're just gonna do what you want when no one is looking

Black explained pretty well his own position. I want him in TCG cause he knows the place well, it won't be an easy job, and he can refuse, but I do think he can bring a little light into a dying section

Aix might be perfect in RP an all. But when there are Printscreen allegations of him threatening people w/ Half year bans, there are serious judgment Questions.

Also his handling of both mine and enguin's case further highlights a judgment flaw.

Members such as me huhn? It's funny when "trouble" amounts to me not cuddling people when they're wrong or me having views that don't line up with yours. Yes, they have been doing so behind the scenes, and they were liable to question before. Now they wanna codify and expand the "mod's digression" clause to stamp out any dissent 

It was beyond that, trust me. His drama was the only thing between Pika and her stirring up sheet on purpose, but he was noooot a good mod, and he never did anything. I checked reports he claimed to do for like 6 months back (queue holds completed reports) and he did NONE of them. At all. And had no prescence in CC, his moderator station.

The idea of his role (which was what Icy intended) was good, but the actual execution was nooooooot.

psst most people that worked with her think she was a terrible team member, just happened to do good for the site as "admin"

Pika was an SJW before the acronym was a thing. I never understood how she stayed a mod so long. She was about as bad as the mod who banned me. I'm sorry, but I remembered what caused me to be permabanned, and it is complete BS.

As a CC mod alone, Mihail needed work. As an overall mod (as in the entire site), he completely changed YCM. It was like Marcus Aurelius during his reign over the Roman Empire. He was just way ahead of his time.

Also I think the reporting thing was him purposefully disregarding reports he felt were silly or not deserving of being taken seriously. I never asked him such top secret info personally, but I always got that vibe.

If you wanna shoot me a PM expressing concerns on who these people are, I'd be glad to maybe start making a list so that I can bring forth people's complaints because honestly it's about time people began speaking out.

Mod team has needed reform for a long time tbh.

I would have thought that my demotion would have brought that reform, but I guess things quickly returned to the way it was. Shame too.

Honestly, I'd encourage you to speak up however you feel capable.

Be it in private to a Mod, one whom you feel can be trusted, or in public to ensure it's seen, by all means, go ahead.

Just don't be incensed. You can be a bit personal (not as in X warned me funk them, but as in why you think it)... Just don't explode. That's all tehre is to it.

And remember: You are not the only ones that think it. Maybe, by being the one to speak up, you'll encourage others to chime in.

Archived