Changing the Mod Team

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was banned in November? Got unbanned May of next year. Left for 3 months after July. Klav got banned cause he picked a fight with other over and over (also ended up happening during the time I was gone). So who needed who to create a mess luv?

You misinterpreted why I said Klav was also banned. You being banned and Klav being banned have little to do with one another. Just another example of a member who can't conduct them selves properly.

I was more abrasive than I needed to be, and I paid for that w/ more than 7 months off this site. If that's really the issue that you wanna debate, shall I screen Nai saying it we overkill on his part? There was no straw that broke the camel's back lol. Klav was a open match that ignited three times a week.

I know all about it because Nai has spoken to me about it several times. Nai was the one who ultimately dropped the banhammer, but you weren;t banned because one mod in a vaccum decided you should be. wether or not the mod team was right in that decision isn't relevant at this time.

Not going to entirely disagree with you there. There are inactive staff, but it's hardly fair to say their lax. Koko is a TCG mod yes? Yet when I stepped out of line in General she fairly punished me on the matter. It might not be overzealous in Aix's case (I'll post screens of our current PM convo if he wishes) it was more ignorance in the matter of Snatch, And in mine and enguin's matter he decided to do the dirty work of other mods. Too many times have good men, "just been following orders"

If i had the patience and the time to I could link numerous instances of toxicity on YCM that moderators could/should have acted upon and failed to. I do believe the general consensus is that we don't have active enough leadership. And that what we do have isn;t particularly coordinated, or at least doesn;t appear to be.

1) Blatant Ignorance of Snatch's situation

2) Being the middle man in a dispute between me and mod, and getting his hand dirty by being the executioner

3) Taking it on his hands and cocking it all up trying to undo a choice Evilfusion made

and those are only the ones in the last 3 months

Honestly, general's toxicity has dropped a fair bit since the major far left triggered individual got run out of the place. It's gotten better since it got more contained (debate section). YCM is toxic at times because intolerance is a two way street that is mistake as a 1 way.

Klav being leftist has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. One's views are entirely divorced from how they choose to communicate.

Being brash isn't always a bad thing. Black has been throwing me against the wall to point out my drastic drop of quality in TCG. Black nailed Nyx to the wall for his...intriguing...posting style in TCG. You need someone to be able to call s*** sheet. But sure, lets say I'm getting far out of line, that goes down to the next point which we agreed upon (?) of putting those two balanced people in charge to keep people like me in check.

There's a difference between being brash and being inflammatory. Its a line that lots of people on site cross far too often. I'm fairly certain people choose to ignore or can;t discern said difference.

If you're going to tell me that I was punished for repetitive abuse, are we setting the standard for abuse as re-quoting and telling someone to read.

Hogwash. There's much more to it than being flippant and I'm fairly certain that that's obvious to most people here.

I'm not opposed to the idea of getting hammered when it's merited, I'm opposed to giving power to those who have shown a lack of a clear head when needed.

Frankly I think your definition of a level head is skewed and you lack the objectivity to constructively weigh in on the topic.

I don't really care much to get involved beyond this, but I'd love to see a mod in general/debates who actually cared about the content and served to promote discussion instead of just arbitrarily dividing the subsection in half. The mod team went out of the way to create Debates, but I've not seen a mod in there do anything to promote discussion, or mediate when necessary.

It just looks like an attempt to sweep one of the more active sections of the site (Because General/Debates is one of the more active places on the site now, god forbid it's the only reason I turn up frequently) under a rug a leave it. When what the section really needed was someone willing to get hands on, to encourage reasoned discussion and to bring up topics and news and too try and keep both sides level headed so it wouldn't spill out anyway. 

The division worked out better than I thought it would, but I still think it was the absolute wrong approach to trying to 'fix' that section. And I'd love to see a mod that actually gave a funk about it. 

It just looks like an attempt to sweep one of the more active sections of the site (Because General/Debates is one of the more active places on the site now, god forbid it's the only reason I turn up frequently) under a rug a leave it. When what the section really needed was someone willing to get hands on, to encourage reasoned discussion and to bring up topics and news and too try and keep both sides level headed so it wouldn't spill out anyway. 

The reality of the Debate section is that what you are saying will simply kill the section. Icy did this exact same thing during the first revival and it was a travesty.

I don't really care much to get involved beyond this, but I'd love to see a mod in general/debates who actually cared about the content and served to promote discussion instead of just arbitrarily dividing the subsection in half. The mod team went out of the way to create Debates, but I've not seen a mod in there do anything to promote discussion, or mediate when necessary.

The division worked out better than I thought it would, but I still think it was the absolute wrong approach to trying to 'fix' that section. And I'd love to see a mod that actually gave a funk about it. 

How about you and vla1ne? One center left and one center right, both fairly objective, well liked, and active there to pass impartial judgment?

So would people agree that a big thing that they seem to have a gripe with is that they don't think enough mods really give a funk? Because I've read a lot of comments like that and I'm wanting to see how many people feel like this is a major issue that also needs to be addressed.

How about you and vla1ne? One center left and one center right, both fairly objective to pass impartial judgment?

Vla1ne would be an excellent mod of Debate.  Whether he wants to or not is up to him and the mods if it was something they would even remotely CONSIDER

So would people agree that a big thing that people seem to have a gripe with is that they don't think enough mods really give a funk? Because I've read a lot of comments like that and I'm wanting to see how many people feel like this is a major issue that also needs to be addressed.

My gripe is that overly authoritarian users with a penchant for being unable to handle dissenting opinions are taken more seriously than users with unpopular views on this site.

You know what I don't see evidence of? You. Whens the last time you posted in TCG or CC? Cause I sure as hell don't see it poping up all that often. How are you fit to judge black then?

You're right there, it does have nothing to do with RP. Aix has in the last few months shown to have poor judgment in dealing with matters multiple times. He could have been an angel in the past and made RP great, but that doesn't forgive his judgments lapses recently.

Respectful? I'm not here to cuddle you buddy. If you've got your head up your ass, it's not productive for me tap you on the shoulder and point it out. Which is why I'm not and never should be a mod. I'm not objective enough. I'm not nice enough. It's a poor combination. Just like stuffing multiple "SJW" as Halu puts it, in the Mod Team is toxic in the other direction

1.) He was literally saying HE doesn't see it, meaning its HIS opinion, and he'd be willing to back Black if he saw the things.

2.) Most of what Aix has done with that is jokes. He doesn't directly deal with as much stuff as say, Rai and Nai. His biggest flaw is that he sounds serious when he's joking. Heck he's done the whole "Overlord of YCM fear me peasants" thing which is clearly not serious.

3.) It's less productive to be aggressive and rude about things. If someone's being stupid point out why and leave it at that.

Anyway.

Much of this topic thus far has been unproductive and overly aggressive. I will be locking it and taking this to PMs with the mods themselves if it keeps up too much.

We have to look at who is active and willing to put in the time to Moderate. Let's go down the list:

.Rai: Quite active as far as moderating goes. Not so active with posting but at least he actually puts himself out there and is around.

Nai: Another really active one, in multiple ways.

Aix: Semi-active, similar to Rai in posting activity. Problems partially caused by being somewhat unknown to many people thus leading to misunderstandings. More active in harder to see ways.

evilfusion: Semi-active, though haven't seen as much from him lately, however don't go into TCG much

Flame Dragon: Active poster, less active modder from what I've seen. Might be more active behind the scenes, unsure.

Koko: I have. No idea. Seems active, but also not? At least she's willing, looking at this thread, to help unify.

Night: Been unable to be active lately.

Phantom Roxas: I know he's a good person and has been a good mod in the past but also really inactive overall

Sakura: Extremely active

Gadj: New mod but getting more and more active

Zextra: lol

Speaking without bias the mods that would be good to be more active are Aix (in regards to actually showing up places, which he is starting to do more, and being more transparent with his actions)

Roxas, who might need to be taken off the list because, no offense, seems extra. I could be wrong and I would love to hear what he says about his activity but it just feels wrong to keep a mod just because. It makes things out of proportion. "Oh we have this many mods we should be good"

Zextra, same as Roxas but more

Super mods in general. Either more active Super Mods or a new one would be a MUST for anything to get done

Maybe knowing more of what Flamey does as a mod would be nice, and similar for Kokopuffs

Okay and now. How they work well with each other...tbh as far as I know Koko, Nai, Sakura, and Gadj are the main ones that seem most open to talking about things, and that's just no good. Aix was at some point but idk about recently.

I'd suggest removing Roxas and Zextra unless they can back up what they do as a mod. I'd also suggest getting another Super Mod. Though we'd have to discuss WHO for that.

And just overall I need all the mods to get in here and promise to actually talk about things with each other, and have SOLID NON-WISHYWASHY OPINIONS ON WHAT TO DO FOR THE ISSUES

Also for big changes I'd figure we should get at least half the mods agreeing. However we also need mods that are willing to give their okay or their...non-okay to things even if they aren't fully sold.

Not saying they should just choose at random. More-so I feel it's an issue when a mod just doesn't pick which side they think is best (even if slightly) just because they don't want to be fully on one side of an issue.

Vla1ne would be an excellent mod of Debate.  Whether he wants to or not is up to him and the mods if it was something they would even remotely CONSIDER

My gripe is that overly authoritarian users with a penchant for being unable to handle dissenting opinions are taken more seriously than users with unpopular opinions on this site.

I think Tom has proved beyond doubt that he's fit for that role too.

But yes, Vla1ne would be lovely to have

I've already noted on the other thread thread that Roxas being in modship in addition to the recent power boosts is problematic. For reasons explain there

Black has been able to help drive up activity in CC and is one of the most knowledgable people w/ regards to YGO/TCG

He might not want the position all that much, but w/ Koko  basically not playing YGO as much, he might be able to breath life into the TCG/OCG YGO section

Brightfire and Vla1ne should be the general mods. They are very active in the section. Liked by both sides of the isle. Fair, yet stern. And in general know what they're talking about. If anyone can bring peace to General, it's a duo between a center-left and a center-right 

I'm troubled by some of the things I hear about Aix, such as threatening people with 6 month bans, but that's not for me to decide upon

Finally, inb4 X might not agree with Y and the section will be painful. Being a mod should involve you being more mature than the rest of us. You don't have to love your co-worker or always agree with them. You just need to be able to get the job done and activity up

Edit: I feel bad calling Koko out there, she's done plenty for YCM, but it's kinda reality that she's not as YGO based as before, putting someone in addition to the TCG section shouldn't be taken as me bashing Koko, cause that' not my intention

In my opinion, increasing member activity and increasing the userbase of this site should be a priority for the moderators. Several issues have been contributing to the hindering of this goal. With this in mind CC depends on newer members now, so we need someone who would have a positive relationship with them. Straying far from this concept would result in a decrease in activity there. I would nominate Thomas Zero, Komaeda, and Dova for that section. As for the General section, I think we need a mod that doesn't normally post there to keep objectiveness to a maximum. Rai is best suited for this role, since he is already in charge of that section.

Something similar got Striker ousted. Something similar brought Sakura into question. If enough people voice their grievances, something will happen

Hell didn't we wake LZ last time during the Sakura riots

However in those instances it was because 3-4 people had personal dislike towards them, which in turn shows that moderators do have problems getting along with each other.

So would people agree that a big thing that they seem to have a gripe with is that they don't think enough mods really give a f***? Because I've read a lot of comments like that and I'm wanting to see how many people feel like this is a major issue that also needs to be addressed.

I can name more members of the mod team of when I first started YCM (So like 4 years ago?) than I can of the active ones right now. 

So no, for the most parts it doesn't feel like the mods give a f***. But tbh, that's also part to do with how much of the site is dead or low activity

The reality of the Debate section is that what you are saying will simply kill the section. Icy did this exact same thing during the first revival and it was a travesty.

Then it doesn't have to be overwhelming. The mod can just act as devil's advocate, and regularly post topics and try through that attempt. I just feel it's a really bad section to not have an active mod in.

I wasn't around for the last iteration of debates, (Or at least didn't pay attention to it) so I've no idea how Icy approached it, but I would guess it was an issue with implementation rather than the idea itself. 

I can name more members of the mod team of when I first started YCM (So like 4 years ago?) than I can of the active ones right now. 

So no, for the most parts it doesn't feel like the mods give a funk. But tbh, that's also part to do with how much of the site is dead or low activity

Then it doesn't have to be overwhelming. The mod can just act as devil's advocate, and regularly post topics and try through that attempt. I just feel it's a really bad section to not have an active mod in.

I wasn't around for the last iteration of debates, (Or at least didn't pay attention to it) so I've no idea how Icy approached it, but I would guess it was an issue with implementation rather than the idea itself. 

Pretty much. People wanted the Debate section back but they wanted the original Debate section back, which no moderator wanted. Icy brought the "section" back but it was in name only. The spirit was lost in favor of the mods getting what they wanted. The debate section was one of the most popular sections in its heyday, but almost every mod hated it with a passion. Except Pika, for very obvious reasons.

My biggest issue with the mod team is how there's very, very little unity. A lot of the time, it feels like there's almost no coordination at all between different mods, especially when it comes to big changes. It's less of a team and more of one of those uneasy alliances between heroes and villains in response to a bigger bad that shows up in the last quarter of the story.

Decisions get rolled out prematurely, additional rules are vague, ideas are only half formed before they start up, and it all gets... Tiring, I guess is the word?

One of the most jarring examples to me personally is still the "applications" for the General moderator position. It got rolled out prematurely obviously, with it being said there were two open slots. As a result, a lot of people planned out applications that involved coworking with the other party and how they would go about that, because it was a big deal. Two people getting promoted at the same time tend to be seen as a single unit, and they have to act like it.

Then it was announced that there was a miscommunication, there was only room for one mod. Which was a bit upsetting cause people were working with the idea that there would be another person with them in a lot of cases.

Then, the person who got the modship was... One who didn't really apply? From what I remember, Rai applied after the 'deadline', and I don't even really remember him posting in the thread about it. My memory isn't solid, but I'm unsure if he posted in the thread in the first place, or if it was handled entirely by PM's. Either way, it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, and there were a few others it did the same to.

My other big issue is way that big things are often... Sprung out of nowhere. No prior build up, no warning, no discussions. It happens with moderator appointments, like what happened with Rai and Striker. It happened with the new rules being implemented. Instead of doing this stuff out of nowhere, then having a shitstorm, then having a discussion about it, it seems like... It would have been noticed that the discussions should generally come before these major decisions.

No, this site isn't a democracy entirely. But it shouldn't be a dictatorship either. There should be a medium. That's what discussions are for, yeah?

I dunno, my thoughts are scattered. I'm not even sure if I'm really even a member of this site anymore, I was just throwing in my current thoughts. If more come up, I'll post again.

I was banned in November? Got unbanned May of next year. Left for 3 months after July. Klav got banned cause he picked a fight with other over and over (also ended up happening during the time I was gone). So who needed who to create a mess luv?

You misinterpreted why I said Klav was also banned. You being banned and Klav being banned have little to do with one another. Just another example of a member who can't conduct them selves properly.

I was more abrasive than I needed to be, and I paid for that w/ more than 7 months off this site. If that's really the issue that you wanna debate, shall I screen Nai saying it we overkill on his part? There was no straw that broke the camel's back lol. Klav was a open match that ignited three times a week.

I know all about it because Nai has spoken to me about it several times. Nai was the one who ultimately dropped the banhammer, but you weren;t banned because one mod in a vaccum decided you should be. wether or not the mod team was right in that decision isn't relevant at this time.

Not going to entirely disagree with you there. There are inactive staff, but it's hardly fair to say their lax. Koko is a TCG mod yes? Yet when I stepped out of line in General she fairly punished me on the matter. It might not be overzealous in Aix's case (I'll post screens of our current PM convo if he wishes) it was more ignorance in the matter of Snatch, And in mine and enguin's matter he decided to do the dirty work of other mods. Too many times have good men, "just been following orders"

If i had the patience and the time to I could link numerous instances of toxicity on YCM that moderators could/should have acted upon and failed to. I do believe the general consensus is that we don't have active enough leadership. And that what we do have isn;t particularly coordinated, or at least doesn;t appear to be.

1) Blatant Ignorance of Snatch's situation

2) Being the middle man in a dispute between me and mod, and getting his hand dirty by being the executioner

3) Taking it on his hands and cocking it all up trying to undo a choice Evilfusion made

and those are only the ones in the last 3 months

Honestly, general's toxicity has dropped a fair bit since the major far left triggered individual got run out of the place. It's gotten better since it got more contained (debate section). YCM is toxic at times because intolerance is a two way street that is mistake as a 1 way.

Klav being leftist has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. One's views are entirely divorced from how they choose to communicate.

Being brash isn't always a bad thing. Black has been throwing me against the wall to point out my drastic drop of quality in TCG. Black nailed Nyx to the wall for his...intriguing...posting style in TCG. You need someone to be able to call s*** sheet. But sure, lets say I'm getting far out of line, that goes down to the next point which we agreed upon (?) of putting those two balanced people in charge to keep people like me in check.

There's a difference between being brash and being inflammatory. Its a line that lots of people on site cross far too often. I'm fairly certain people choose to ignore or can;t discern said difference.

If you're going to tell me that I was punished for repetitive abuse, are we setting the standard for abuse as re-quoting and telling someone to read.

Hogwash. There's much more to it than being flippant and I'm fairly certain that that's obvious to most people here.

I'm not opposed to the idea of getting hammered when it's merited, I'm opposed to giving power to those who have shown a lack of a clear head when needed.

Frankly I think your definition of a level head is skewed and you lack the objectivity to constructively weigh in on the topic.

My point on Klav was that he was more than willing to pick fights with people other than me and apparently he did it viciously enough to merit a legit perma. How is it irrelevant. There were two variables, they removed one (me) and the other one proved to be toxic. They unbanned me, the closest I've gotten to getting banned was cause I posted a picture of poop and that happened to the day Nai (through Aix) felt I should be hammered. If not sure what the point you're trying to make about Klav and me is. 

And you're unbais enough to act as a judge how? If there was an issue you should have reported it instead of throwing around vagueness in the 13th hour with coulda's and shoulda's. Are you sure you're not seeing brashness as being abrasive? What makes you the one to determine the line

Not Klav, Laz

And who better to set that line than two of the most respected posters in general who are very balanced in their objectivity *points at the Brightfire/Vla1ne modship duo*

Yup, I agree. Which is why I should not be a mod :)

And I lost my position due to a spat with Pika + Admin Powers, not due to being unfit.

The "spat" was what made you an unfit team member.

THEN AGAIN, the way I found out about it was what made me an unfit team member.

It's all ancient history and I'm 100% positive no one really cares, and even if everyone knew both sides no one's opinion would change even a little bit.

The "spat" was what made you an unfit team member.

THEN AGAIN, the way I found out about it was what made me an unfit team member.

It's all ancient history and I'm 100% positive no one really cares, and even if everyone knew both sides no one's opinion would change even a little bit.

Possibly so. Preferably, even. 

I am not a spider, though.

Honestly I don't think that the Mod Team's that bad. Other than like one or two, it's a pretty solid setup. Although they could probably do with a couple more.

Possibly so. Preferably, even. 

I am not a spider, though.

If you were I'd be genuinely impressed at how well you can use a keyboard.

I-Was-Gonna-Make-This-An-Edit-But-Then-Other-People-Posted:

I kinda feel like just addressing anyone that's addressed me by name.

Also, Pika was a bad mod imho, she had an attitude problem that severely affected her work ethic.

I delivered my judgment the rules the way I interpreted them. Granted, I wrote the rules for my section so... there ya funking go. Every time I changed the rules I always made a topic for it, or there was always an open topic for it. If you felt the rules were unfair or vague you were always free to post in it. If you were afraid or something that I'd do something... lol, being afraid of someone over the internet.

It was beyond that, trust me. His drama was the only thing between Pika and her stirring up sheet on purpose, but he was noooot a good mod,

I never considered myself as stirring up sheet on purpose... BUT THEN AGAIN I'M RESPONDING TO ALL THESE funking POSTS SO MAYBE I'M DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU CLAIM.

I just dislike people being misinformed, but again you probably won't read this far anyway.

To make a long story short, I never wanted to stir up sheet. I just wanted to run a tight ship. Maybe that's not what everyone else wanted. They were always free to post if they disagreed though.

Pika was an SJW before the acronym was a thing. I never understood how she stayed a mod so long. She was about as bad as the mod who banned me. I'm sorry, but I remembered what caused me to be permabanned, and it is complete BS.

YCM very VERY rarely permabanned people unless they really funking deserved it. I don't recognize your name, but I'm sure you've changed it and I'm too lazy to check. You probably deserved it.

The debate section was one of the most popular sections in its heyday, but almost every mod hated it with a passion. Except Pika, for very obvious reasons.

I don't think I was even on YCM, much less a moderator, when the Debate Section was active.

BUT ENOUGH ATTENTION WHORING FROM ME

The topic is about changing the Mod Team... so... who SPECIFICALLY, would you remove? Who, SPECIFICALLY, would you like added and for which section? If no one exists, perhaps try to describe the traits this person should have?

Wait, Debates being one of the most popular sections? Lmao

Honestly even the Literature section's even more popular than it was back then. Especially considering back then most of the members were like 12-15 and didn't really care about having debate. Sure it got a few posts here and there but saying it was one of the most popular sections in its heyday is a joke.

- Roxas 

+Black ( CC )

+Vla1ne ( General )

+Aerion Brightfire (General)

agree with +black for cc, haven't seen roxas much recently so i'm leaning towards that, but for vla1ne and aerion i feel like there could be better mods for general imo.

... I gotta a very powerful hate boner against Black, for reasons I do not wish to discuss and I think we'd all prefer to keep private. The mods who were mods at the time should know why.

But then again, I'm barely even a member of this community so what the funk do I know?

... I gotta a very powerful hate boner against Black, for reasons I do not wish to discuss and I think we'd all prefer to keep private. The mods who were mods at the time should know why.

But then again, I'm barely even a member of this community so what the funk do I know?

I'm sure a lot of people have their personal problems with black, but that doesn't change that from what I remember he did a lot for CC in the short time that he was a mod.

Wait, Debates being one of the most popular sections? Lmao

Honestly even the Literature section's even more popular than it was back then. Especially considering back then most of the members were like 12-15 and didn't really care about having debate. Sure it got a few posts here and there but saying it was one of the most popular sections in its heyday is a joke.

agree with +black for cc, haven't seen roxas much recently so i'm leaning towards that, but for vla1ne and aerion i feel like there could be better mods for general imo.

Vla1ne and Tom are some of the more frequent posters in general. 

Objective, balanced, don't attempt to silence and go after people personally, not overly conceited, show a desire to learn rather an a desire to impose

Who would you recommend? Cause I honestly don't see anyone more fit to lead general than the two dude who basically made it worth a damn after I ruined it

Vla1ne and Tom are some of the more frequent posters in general. 

Objective, balanced, don't attempt to silence and go after people personally, not overly conceited, show a desire to learn rather an a desire to impose

Who would you recommend? Cause I honestly don't see anyone more fit to lead general than the two dude who basically made it worth a damn after I ruined it

Frequent posters =/= modship though.

I mean they could very well be alright for it. I haven't seen enough from either to warrant a mod position though.

Frequent posters =/= modship though.

I mean they could very well be alright for it. I haven't seen enough from either to warrant a mod position though.

Frequent posters, knowledge of the section and it's dynamics, knowledge of the section's material, objectivity, a more centrist view (needed for General these days).

They're not perfect, nobody is, but I don't see anyone better suited to deal with disputes from the section. 

Tom and Vla1ne's posts in debates should honestly be an example for the rest of the forum (and this is coming from a guy who really doesn't see eye to eye with them often)

Edit: Rescinding my earlier comment about TCG. It's more a matter of not using Kook and Fusion enough rather than needing a strongman. That being said, an Advanced Clause for TCG might be nice just to bring it back to its Summer 2015 days

Archived