Such pretty colors on such neato fish-things! [Reefraction Archetype, 11/?]

ÆƵ–

[spoiler=Monsters]

Reefraction Maroon Manatee

Level 1/ WATER

Fish/ Effect

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a "Reefracted Token", this card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage due to a direct attack: You can Tribute 1 "Reefracted Token"; Add 1 "Reefraction" Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Reefraction Maroon Manatee" once per turn.

300 ATK/ 700 DEF

Reefraction Persimon Polychaete

Level 1/ WATER

Fish/ Effect

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a "Reefracted Token", this card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage due to a direct attack: You can Tribute 1 "Reefracted Token"; Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Reefraction Persimon Polychaete" once per turn.

100 ATK/ 900 DEF

Reefraction Umber Urchin

Level 1/ WATER

Fish/ Effect

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a "Reefracted Token", this card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage due to a direct attack: You can Tribute 1 "Reefracted Token"; Banish 1 random card from your opponent's Extra Deck. You can only activate this effect of "Reefraction Umber Urchin" once per turn.

700 ATK/ 300 DEF

Reefraction Spring Starfish

Level 1/ WATER

Fish/ Effect

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a "Reefracted Token", this card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage due to a direct attack: You can Tribute 1 "Reefracted Token"; Special Summon 1 "Reefraction" Monster from your Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Reefraction Spring Starfish" once per turn.

400 ATK/ 600 DEF

Reefraction Azure Anemone

Level 1/ WATER

Fish/ Effect

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a "Reefracted Token", this card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage due to a direct attack: You can Tribute 1 "Reefracted Token"; Banish 1 face-up monster on the field. You can only use this effect of "Reefraction Azure Anemone" once per turn.

500 ATK/ 500 DEF

Reefraction Lilac Lobster

Level 1/ WATER

Fish/ Effect

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). While you control a "Reefracted Token", this card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage due to a direct attack: You can Tribute 1 "Reefracted Token"; Until your next Standby Phase, "Reefraction" Cards you control and "Reefraction Tokens" you control cannot be targeted by cards or effects. You can only use this effect of "Reefraction Lilac Lobster" once per turn.

600 ATK/ 400 DEF

[spoiler=Not Monsters]

Reefraction Lighoon

Continuous Spell

"Reefraction" monsters you control and "Reefreacted Tokens" you control cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. If a "Reefraction" monster you control successfully attacks directly: You can inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each 'Reefraction" Card you control.

Reefraction Prismaticoral

Continuous Spell

When a "Reefraction" Monster you control declares an attack: You can Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). During the End Phase: You can inflict damage equal to the number of "Reefracted Tokens" Tributed this turn x300.

Reefraction Algae Rainbloom

Normal Trap

Tribute any number of "Reefracted Tokens" you control; Special Summon "Reefraction" Monsters from your Deck equal to the number of Tokens Tributed. You can Banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). You can only use each effect of "Reefraction Algae Rainbloom" once per turn.

Reefraction Rushing Monochurrent

Normal Trap

Tribute any number of "Reefracted Tokens" you control; This turn, you can negate the activation of a card or effect up to the number of "Reefracted Tokens" Tributed to activate this effect, and if you do, destroy the negated card. You can Banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Reefracted Token" (Fish-Type/WATER/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). You can only use each effect of "Reefraction Rushing Monochurrent" once per turn.

(Not quite sure on the wording for this one... I wanted to make it so that you could use something infinity-esque multiple times a turn but I'm not sure it came out quite right. Help here would be appreciated)

So yeah, Low level fish that can go direct and benefit from it. Also tokens. CnC?

Theyre an even more gimmicky Watts except you have to load your field up with their tokens, so at most you can use 2 of their effects at any given time. If you had something that could boost their attack or make it so they can attack twice. Or anything that makes them more worth while, even making one a tuner and giving them a Synchro that fills the void for this deck would just make the deck so much better.

Theyre an even more gimmicky Watts except you have to load your field up with their tokens, so at most you can use 2 of their effects at any given time. If you had something that could boost their attack or make it so they can attack twice. Or anything that makes them more worth while, even making one a tuner and giving them a Synchro that fills the void for this deck would just make the deck so much better.

Acknowledged and updated:

-Lighoon no longer requires a tribute to inflict damage

-Added Prismaticoral and Algae Rainbloom

Hk0F1YF.png

Obligatory.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Since this is one of those archetypes that has cookie-cutter effects, I’ll premise most of the monsters off of those effects. 
The ability to guarantee the effects of your monsters appears very prominent at first, but the tokens don’t apparently really do much of anything by themselves. Also, you’ll be quite reliant on your Normal Summon, and I’m not sure how fun it would be sitting on your fish and expecting it to carry you through for very long. The Non-Monster cards appear to help somewhat with this problem, which is nice. Even so, though, one would have to open with the proper cards to survive for too long, since the Deck’s protection and board presence is very, very limited. 141 into something more useful seems almost to be a necessity, even though 141 is at 1. Beautunaful and Where Arf Thou are options, but they also require your Normal Summon for the most part. To say the least, they need more pathways around things. With just limited removal and consistency, you can only get so far.

Manatee likely speeds the Deck up a good deal. Adding any 1 of your important cards is indubitably an important role, especially in a Deck with no Proving Grounds. Its stats are pretty low, although I suppose that’s to be expected (Mage Power Umi Demise new meta?). I don’t think it needs any changes.

Polychaete is splashable (pun), but I’m not sure by how much. It’s nice to have a little extra card advantage, and you’ll essentially go Neutral, so I don’t think it needs all too many changes.

The only problem I have with Urchin is that it can be a nightmare to deal with IRL. Your opponent spreads out their Extra, you pull out an MTG die, and roll 16 three times, and before long, you spend so much time just trying to banish a card from your opponent’s Extra Deck that you get set back in time (considering you’d have to figure out how to “randomly” pick one), and then all you banished was Rhapsody in Berserk. You could make it so that you choose which one without looking, at least.

I like the idea of Starfish being a good card, so its effect should be better than mediocre. Adding one back from Grave doesn’t sound very prominent to me, so I’d advise giving it that protection the Deck so badly needs. I’m not sure how you’d implement it (and it may require that you go against the cookie cutter), but it would probably make the Deck more well-rounded.

Anemone is cool because it could be used in Decks outside of this one. Since it gets the token by itself, your opponent would have to waste attack negation on it, and then if they do take the hit, they’ll lose their Dante or Ship. Definitely nicely implemented.

Lobster, on the other hand, is totally outclassed by Twin Twisters and Mystical Space Typhoon. There’s very little reason to have just another S/T killer while you’ve already got so many great options in TwiTwi, MST, and Typhoon. Most people usually run 1-2 traps anyway, so you wouldn’t really be missing out on much if you cut it. I like lobsters, though, so I think a reform of its effect would be necessary. Maybe more protection?

Lighoon’s protection is alright. They can still be targeted, but if you’re wasting castel on a teeny little fish, what are you even doing with your life. The 300 burn is kind of lame, though. 300 damage honestly just tickles. A little more would be nice, since the monsters already have piddly ATK, or if you could give it another effect instead, maybe something while it’s in Grave.

Prismaticoral seems a little redundant, since the fish will always get back their tokens anyway. If you wanted to Synchro Summon, or if you were going to Tribute Summon, say, an Egyptian God, that would be a different story, but you’re likely not going to (…unless you can actually pull that off with Pendulums or something). Basically, a little effect damage here and there may seem like it would add up, but it has to be a bit more frequent. For example, Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon deals a ton of damage, exceeding 2000 sometimes. This, however, would be lucky to deal 600. Mediocre at best.

Rainbloom is definitely an option, but I’m bothered by the fact that it requires you tribute Tokens. Why would you tribute those Tokens you worked so hard for outside of using their effects for the actual fish themselves? I think it should just let you summon the fish for free, giving you some presence on the board. The second effect is alright, since you can use it during either player’s turn (as a trap). 

To say the least, I’m not sure how adept this card is when it comes to combatting the meta, but I see potential in it.

Great review goes here

Acknowledged and adjusted:

-Spring Star now SS's from Grave upon directing

-Li Lob now grants targeting protection upon directing

-Lighoon now inflicts 300 per "Reefraction" card

Acknowledged but unchanged due to following reasons:

-Coral: I looked this up just to be sure, and it turns out that when a monster gains the ability to attack directly, a replay will occur. Due to this, I made this card so that no matter when a reefa attacks, it will be able to go direct regardless of whether or not there are enough tokens on the field, because there will always be enough tokens on the field. The burn effect can therefor go as high as 1200 on monsters alone, which brings me to my next card and my next point.

-Algae: This card can make it so that coral can go a lil higher, up to 1800 in a single successful turn. I do, however, think it could do more, but I'm not sure as to what yet. 

Urchin- I'm p sure a third party would shuffle the extra and you would pick one out. At leastm that's how I would do it. 

Bump, added another Trap, Rushing Monochurrent

You could have made it similar to Pollinosis, with the Tokens but made it into a continuous Trap to constantly feed negates. Seeing as how eventually you'll run out of Negates, with optimal token count at 3 for a deck like this; however if you wanted to make sure it was something closer to Solem where its a counter trap it wouldnt be the worse way to go, I'd make it cost only 2 tokens or all the tokens on the field (min 1.)

You could have made it similar to Pollinosis, with the Tokens but made it into a continuous Trap to constantly feed negates. Seeing as how eventually you'll run out of Negates, with optimal token count at 3 for a deck like this; however if you wanted to make sure it was something closer to Solem where its a counter trap it wouldnt be the worse way to go, I'd make it cost only 2 tokens or all the tokens on the field (min 1.)

The problem with continuous traps is that they can be snipped before resolving, and i dont want it to be a counter a la pollinosis, i want it to be like an invisble but still there cydrafinity.

Archived