What are you trying to write right now?

mitchermitcher

Re: Names -

Nothing wrong with having American names. I have an American name. ;D

I guess it depends on how you write it. If it's like "My name is John Smith. I put on my kimono and eat onigiri from my bento on my kotatsu1. Eat your hamburgers Apollo!" then like... what the funk? But if it could take place in anytown USA, or if it's meant to be an international thing, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: Starting It -

Eh, like I mentioned to the other guy, don't worry so much about starting. Just write anything. Any random cool scene or funny lines that sound interesting to you, then work your way to it. Worst case scenario, you had a little practice with your characters and how they'd react. Best case scenario... you start and write a great fic.

Re: Plot -

PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ACTUALLY CARE TO READ THE ANSWER TO ANY OF THIS. THESE ARE JUST GENERAL QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT IT AND DEVELOP AS TIME GOES ON.

1) What specifically do you mean by "Psychic Abilities"? Does it vary per person? Is there an upper limit or lower limit to theses?

2) About how big is the city? About what percentage are affected? Half-and-half? 90/10?

3) How long after psychic powers does the story take place? A week or two, and I don't think it would be fragmented already. A year or more, I'd assume the military or whoever got it under control.

Thank you.

I'm not entirely confident on the starting up because that'd for sure work if it focused on a main character and whatever that's interesting would work out to introduce it, but since this is meant to rotate different characters in and out of focus, the next best goal would be to pick a starting point that showcases the tone of the series.....

I suppose that'd mean I need to learn to keep a tone consistent throughout and then that wouldn't matter huh? I am brainstorming as I'm typing this.

This reply helped me start working. Thank you again xD

It doesn't matter where you start, as long as you write... literally anything. Even if it's meant to be focused on various people... you're not going to have all ten in the same scene and all say the exact same number of lines, are you?

Once you have John and Mary's funny little scene started, you can try working on Bob and Alice's scene, maybe a different tone, maybe the same general theme, or maybe just scrap everything, but at least now you have some insight on what DOESN'T work.

The most important thing is, don't pick a STARTING point. Pick "a point that's interesting" and, if it's not a good start, then work back to see how you would arrive at this point.

Something Yugioh

An alien comes to Earth, which is ruled by the Government of Doom, an alien empire that wants to rid of universe of everything fun and turn it into a cyberpunk nightmare.

Said alien teams up with some misfits to fight evil government and bring cool back to the universe.

Even made sets for some of the characters already.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/351714-monster-mash-a-work-in-progress/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/353976-toybots/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/355846-burn-spells-a-work-in-progress/

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/357071-rocks-when-does-flip-summoning-get-its-own-dimension/

I'm working on a Yugioh fanfic with 10 main characters taking turns being the spotlight whose stories gradually merge into one.

It has an overarching plot that builds up sort of in the back as the characters go about with their personal goals. The viewer is not supposed to have a clear main character to root for.

Knowing how to write it/start it is proving to be difficult but ultimately I intend to draw it out.

Many characters also suffer from having names that sound too... American (I don't know how else to describe it)... as of now. 

[spoiler=The overall plot is inspired by an underdeveloped (and pretty much discarded) plot from 5Ds; psychics]

One day, portions of the nearby population developed psychic abilities after a meteorite rain that had bathed the region. There was no clear enough causes for it, and because the users could not reliably keep these powers under control, the population gradually fragmented itself until it reached the point of general segregation. Now the city where this story takes place is in a state of chaos, with crime and conflicts shooting up to become normal occurrences ever since. It is from here that we'll follow different characters trying to live their life or accomplish a personal goal.

Some of the characters include a psychic that hides the fact he has those powers, a girl that's investigating the cause of the phenomenon, heroes that intercede in behalf of each of these groups, and some more. Yes I know it is kind of vague on the juice but don't know how to expand on this one without pretty much describing the whole story so I'll leave it at that for now.

I made not one but two card mechanics for the sake of this so I'm also having a rough time with it because of the card-making factor, mostly because I'm trying to showcase a game much more tame in power and speed than the IRL game.

[spoiler=Mechanics]

First the now somewhat overused "new Summon" trope in these kinds of works.

Ascend Monsters.

Ascend Monsters are bright red, go in the Extra Deck, and are themed on singular evolution untapped in the right situations, as opposed to Synchros/Xyzs/Fusions which are based on monsters teaming up in order to upgrade into a stronger one. There are only 2 requirements to bringing up an Ascend monster:

1- You use only one single material, which can be any monster the Ascend Card requires.

2- You must fulfill a situation/scenario to use the above material. It is an inherent +0 but it is meant to be situation-based. Example:

Happy Waterfal Dragon

[Ascend/Dragon] Level 7 WATER 2800/1300

1 Level 3 or lower Fish-Type monster when "Umi" leaves the field.

The second mechanic I can better resume by saying "Deck Masters". It's an idea I've posted before although I've kept working on it ever since.

Player Cards

They are their own kind of card, and you start with them "inactive" by your side. They are lime-green colored.

You activate them by using up your LP right after you gain LP by effects, and they'll carry those LP as their own set of points, which will keep them "active". You cannot pay from their LP nor heal their points while they are active. Only while "active" can you make use of any of the Player Cards' perks. Which are:

Player Cards can take battle damage in your stead.

They also carry around their own mini-Extra Decks. Each Player Card has a + and a - stat. + is the amount of Extra Deck cards they can hold, while - is a reduction from the inherent size of your regular 15 card Extra Deck in exchange for running them. You cannot run any more Player Cards once their total - stat adds up to -15.

Player Cards also have their own built-in upgrade called "Star Mode", which can come with an effect unlock. Only 1 of your Player Cards can be a Star at a time though, so a new Star would be stripping down the focus from the previous one.

This could be an epic series of Novels if you do each character(s) stories as different books, start from one of the less main character at the END of the general plotline, then release books in random from there but so they all relate to eachother

If it sounds confusing it's meant to be along the same sort of style as the Malazan series of books, it's confusing at first, but more advanced, mature readers will appreciate the depth. I like the idea of multiple main characters that aren't directly linked to eachother

Archived